Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:17 am

Peng Does Underseen Director#3: Wes Anderson 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does Underseen Director#3: Wes Anderson
I used gif from the film often in message boards. Four of my favorites:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I use this when I am jokingly posting about existentialism or just melancholy mood. Just a gorgeous scene in general.

Just a beautifully sublime moment.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am
Second Unit Director

The Royal Tenenbaums (though I definitely wouldn't go 10/10, I say 8.5) and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (agree with your rating, peng) are my two favorite Anderson movies, the former is just all-around successful at what it sets out to do and the latter because Anderson's quirks suit the material so well. I still love the David Bowie covers, something about them just tickles me. Though you're right about it surprisingly wasting Cate Blanchett, I'd completely forgotten she was in it. That's special, wasting one of the greats of this generation.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 pm
Director

7/7

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - 9/10

I previously held Fantastic Mr. Fox over this one. Now I'm less certain. The film is like bottled charm, and it just multiplies on rewatch. Is there a better audience anchor in Wes Anderson's films than Sam Shakusky? Or a more sympathetic pairing than him and Suzy Bishop? Both Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward bring their characters to life perfectly, with all the normal pre-teen awkwardness and some Anderson idiosyncratic touches. His compositions have never been more precise. I have said about storybook quality in his films before, but this is the most he has applied this sensibility to, from the tracking shots that feel like we are turning a book's page, to every scene packing with intricate visual gems. It oozes so much wonder and nostalgia. Sam's "Rat!" even makes me recall how I once spent a long time buried in dictionary, determining what the word means in a children book. The two kids' connection is also lovingly rendered, and grounded by surrounding them with the adults' bitterness and disappointment.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:54 am
Director

Ranking time:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Rushmore
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Bottle Rocket
The Darjeeling Limited

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 am
Director

Overall, I may prefer The Royal Tenenbaums most, but the stretch depicting Sam and Suzy's idyllic time at the beach is Anderson's best scene, in my opinion. Pure bliss.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:59 am
Producer

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox

My rankings:

The Royal Tenenbaums - 9/10
The Darjeeling Limited - 8/10
Rushmore - 8/10
Bottle Rocket - 6/10
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 3/10

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:55 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Here's a really nice video demonstrating Anderson's meticulous composition. Very nice highlight of one of the things that makes his style so rich.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3027800/wes ... ubexchange

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:40 am
Director

So, peng, are you ever going to give us your review of "The Grand Budapest Hotel"? And, more importantly, do you plan on continuing this series?

Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 am
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
So, peng, are you ever going to give us your review of "The Grand Budapest Hotel"? And, more importantly, do you plan on continuing this series?

There isn't a release date in Thailand yet :(. Strange, because Moonrise Kingdom had a theatrical release, but I suspect the "first love" angle helps secure that, since our cinema has a soft spot for this.

As for the other question, yes I plan to. I got majorly sidetracked by my final semester's works, exams, and projects, and also a challenge on another forum on watching movies from different countries (hence the variety and frequency in the last movie you watched thread). Actually I don't know if my choice will generate much interest (Preston Sturges), but I have always wanted to do a classic Hollywood director for some time. After that I will probably do a foreign (but hopefully more popular) director like John Woo or Wong Kar-Wai.

Thu May 08, 2014 8:23 am
Director

8/8

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 9/10

This feels so much like the culmination of all Wes Anderson's idiocracies that I wonder where he will go from here. He flattens the whole world, basically creates his own country, and marches all his dolls through many frames packed with details and jokes, and through many carefully constructed plot points and structure. It's absolutely overwhelming, even too much so at some moments, although I guess it would be really rewarding on rewatches.

At this first watch, I don't think this reaches the quality of his best works like The Royal Tenenbaums or Moonrise Kingdom, despite being the most ambitious and the best crafted. Those two produce stronger resonance from the emotional journeys of characters and their relationships, whereas The Grand Budapest Hotel derives its emotional power more from themes and situations (of older, gentler time being inevitably intruded by new, violent forces). I prefer the former approach, but that doesn't mean the latter isn't very potent in its own right. Amidst all the madness, the pathos gradually creeps in as the film progresses, and even lingers on and grows in my mind after it ends. It even reflects in this being his most violent work, with bloodshed happening right around the edges of the film and becoming more pronounced later on. This continues right down to the saddest events which, though never shown to us, can't help but bring a small lump to throat when reflected by an old man in the ruined shadow of once-glorious hotel.

Ralph Fiennes is marvelous here. He is surprisingly a perfect fit for this world, and his Monsieur Gustave ranks neck-to-neck with Bill Murray's Steve Zissou as my favorite Wes Anderson character.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 am
Director

Updated ranking:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Rushmore
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Bottle Rocket
The Darjeeling Limited

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 am
Producer

I haven't yet seen Grand Budapest Hotel; but so far The Fantastic Mr Fox ranks top for me.

I watched it a week last Saturday for the umpteenth time with my Daughter and it's just perfect. Everything about it hits the bullseye

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 am
Producer

Anderson is sublime ... unmatched at creating little worlds for people to live in.

He's like a competent Tim Burton

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:34 am
Director

I still like Tim Burton a bit, but yeah CGI makes him way lazy when it comes to visual.

Speaking of "creating little worlds for people to live in", The Grand Budapest Hotel is really his most unmatched in this regard, (maybe) even compared to his own previous works.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 am
Producer

Yeah, ill definitely get around to it sooner rather than later

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 am
Second Unit Director

Grand Budapest was my first and my only Wes Anderson movie so far. If it was indicative of this guys general output I'm quite excited to check out some more.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:08 am