Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 am

The Academy: on the losing side of history? 
Producer

Post Re: The Academy: on the losing side of history?
Of all the movies that were nominated for best picture that year, the only other movie that it might be better than is the equally so-so The Kids Are Alright. Otherwise, it's my least favorite of the bunch.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Evidence suggests that the Oscars themselves are somewhat subjective. Shakespeare in Love better than Saving Private Ryan hardly reeks of objectivity.

This is why I somewhat buy into the Oscar-Zeitgeist idea. SiL came about at a time when British RomComs in the Richard Curtis vain were at their relative apex. What SiL did was give this genre just enough hint of classicism (the era, the fact it's old Bill, having Judi Dench, etc) and hey presto - an Oscar winning film is there to be had.

Did anyone at the academy seriously believe it was the best film of the year? I hope not. Because of they did the industry needs collectively lobotomizing.

Other examples aren't too difficult to locate. The Hurt Locker is pretty average IMO, but has the whole Iraq thing going for it. Argo even seems to capitalise on paranoia about Iran (although I am yet to see it). I can't fathom Crash whatsoever. It's the most ball-breakingly boring piece of cinema I've ever seen. The King's Speech, I'd put that outside the top 20 that year. No less than 5 films in that list (some will say more) are better than the King's Speech; Toy Story 3 included.

Your entire premise is flawed here. You aren't open to the possibility that an Academy voter could very much like one of the movies you claim is average, or boring, or not top 20 worthy. You disagree with them, so they're wrong. That's the essence of your argument here. To give your stance credibility you simply state your opinions on various films. Now, I mostly agree with your opinions, but that doesn't equate to you being right and them being wrong. Or really tell us anything about what the Oscars are about other than that you disagree with their choices.

And of course the Osacrs are subjective. Human beings are voting on art! There's going to inevitably be a ton of disagreement on what is better than what. And that's perfectly fine because the Oscars shouldn't be looked at as some objective barometer of movie quality. Nothing should, because that doesn't exist.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am
Producer

Pete, your post only works if we completely abandon objective standards. In which case, you send me your Director's cut of The Godfather, and I'll send you Pluto Nash.

Obviously this is a fair deal, it can't not be.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:10 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Pete, your post only works if we completely abandon objective standards. In which case, you send me your Director's cut of The Godfather, and I'll send you Pluto Nash.

Obviously this is a fair deal, it can't not be.

And yours only works if we consider solely your opinion, so I guess we're at an impasse.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 am
Producer

Aye

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:32 am