Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 am

Worst Box Office Movies Ever List 
Second Unit Director

Post Worst Box Office Movies Ever List
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-8-biggest-film-box-office-disasters-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

Amazingly, I actually have only even heard of 2 of these movies...

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am
Auteur

Post Re: Worst Box Office Movies Ever List
I'm familiar with all of them, The Alamo was a pretty terrible film, not suprised it flopped. Though I did enjoy Town And Country, Sahara and Pluto Nash.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Surprise Surprise Vex

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:38 pm
Second Unit Director

From that list, I've only seen 2. Mars Needs Moms was bad enough my kids wouldn't even like it. They've not seen it and probably won't. Sahara was on par with National Treasure. At least I remember it that way. I guess forgettable yet inoffensive is the highest praise I could offer it.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Is Heaven's Gate any good? Does anyone know?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm
Producer

I've heard of all of the, but I've only seen The 13th Warrior. It's not that bad.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I've heard of all of the, but I've only seen The 13th Warrior. It's not that bad.

I don't think there is any correlation with box office performance and quality. I've seen a few on this list (Cutthroat Island, The 13th Warrior, Sahara, The Alamo) and none of those DESERVE being such monumental flops imo.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 pm
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I don't think there is any correlation with box office performance and quality. I've seen a few on this list (Cutthroat Island, The 13th Warrior, Sahara, The Alamo) and none of those DESERVE being such monumental flops imo.

I haven't seen The Alamo, but I've seen the other three you mentioned and I agree they aren't that bad. The 13th Warrior in particular, I remember it being a very solid action/adventure film.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

The Alamo is a good movie and Sahara is a fun ride. I know most hated Pluto Nash, but that was a guilty pleasure for me.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:34 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
The Alamo is a good movie and Sahara is a fun ride. I know most hated Pluto Nash, but that was a guilty pleasure for me.

Ya, I like cold showers, and anchovies are awesome... and Vex dozen't have the worst taste in movies since billy baldwin was borne out of a cocaine binge.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 am
Producer

Sahara was right in the middle of Matthew McConaughey's uber-annoying "I'm a dumb-ass muthafucker" stage.

In fact, IIRC, that film was sandwiched between How to lose a guy in 10 days, and Fools Gold - both of which are fucking dreadful.

Pluto Nash - yeah figures.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 am
Producer

mrguinness wrote:

At the time it was flayed by the media, but (again IIRC) once the Director's cut had been released, and with passing years, it gained a good deal of prestige.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 am
Second Unit Director

mrguinness wrote:

As NotHughGrant wrote, there's quite a bit of critical reconsideration of that movie at the moment, which some critics even hail as a misunderstood masterpiece. And they are all wrong. 'Heaven's Gate' is ugly, badly paced and simply very boring.

Apart from 'Heaven's Gate', I've also seen 'Sahara' and 'The 13th Warrior' from the list. I agree that they're not that bad. They are still bad movies, though.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 am
Auteur

Unke wrote:
mrguinness wrote:

As NotHughGrant wrote, there's quite a bit of critical reconsideration of that movie at the moment, which some critics even hail as a misunderstood masterpiece. And they are all wrong. 'Heaven's Gate' is ugly, badly paced and simply very boring.

Apart from 'Heaven's Gate', I've also seen 'Sahara' and 'The 13th Warrior' from the list. I agree that they're not that bad. They are still bad movies, though.

Heaven's Gate was pretty dull, Cimino just went way overboard and badly needed an editor to trim some of the fat from the narrative. It's that film along with "One From The Heart"(another major flop) that single-handedly broke the trend of all directors having total creative control over their films.

Don't remember much about 13th Warrior aside from it not being one of Willis's better efforts. Sahara is probably most remembered for the lawsuit sometime after it's release, it's a real shame it didn't do better as I would've liked to have seen more books in that series adapted to the screen.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:27 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer didn't like Heavens Gate, so there's hope I guess. On the list now! :)

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:58 am
Director

Seen 5 of the 8. The Alamo was okay. Heaven's Gate has many flaws. But I never saw it as the worst movie ever. I can think of ten movies off the top of my head that are far wrose than that and that's without doing any research.

Sahara and Cutthroat Island are not really that bad. Not undiscovered or misunderstood masterpieces no. But they're not painful to watch and can even be enjoyed on a certain level if you adjust your expectations accordingly.

Pluto Nash, on the other hand, is deserving of its reputation. In fact, like Battlefield Earth, it's even worse than its reputation in some regards as it's painful to watch at times. Like Travolta with the aforementioned Battlefield Earth, Murphy never totally recovered from it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 am
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Heaven's Gate has many flaws. But I never saw it as the worst movie ever. I can think of ten movies off the top of my head that are far wrose than that and that's without doing any research.

From wikip....

It opened to poor reviews and earned less than $3 million domestically (from an estimated budget of $44 million), eventually contributing to the near collapse of its studio, United Artists, and effectively destroying the reputation of Cimino, previously one of the ascendant directors of Hollywood owing to his celebrated 1978 film The Deer Hunter, which had won Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Director in 1979. Cimino had an expansive and ambitious vision for the film and pushed it about four times over its planned budget. The movie's financial problems and United Artists' consequent demise led to a move away from director-driven film production in the American film industry and a shift toward greater studio control of films.

As time has progressed, a number of substantial assessments have become more nuanced and in some cases more positive, and now some critics have described Heaven's Gate as a "modern masterpiece" whose 1980 re-edit after poor press screenings was characterized as "one of the greatest injustices of cinematic history."

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm
Second Unit Director

There's room for argument about the quality of the films on the list, particularly concerning 'Heaven's Gate', but that's not the issue here. There is no question that 'Heaven's Gate' was a massive fiancial failure, mostly as the result of exorbitant production costs. Reportedly, director Cimino built a "Western town set" and realised upon completion that the main street wasn't wide enough, so the whole street was torn down and all buildings rebuilt - rather than just tearing down and rebuilding one side of the street to make it wider.

Vexer wrote:
Heaven's Gate was pretty dull, Cimino just went way overboard and badly needed an editor to trim some of the fat from the narrative. It's that film along with "One From The Heart"(another major flop) that single-handedly broke the trend of all directors having total creative control over their films.

I believe that it's a bit of a legend to say that 'Heaven's Gate' and Coppola's 'One From the Heart' were to blame for Hollywood studios turning their backs on director-driven movies. Scorsese's 'New York, New York' and Bogdanovich's 'They all laughed' were also colossal failures. More importantly, 'Star Wars' and 'Jaws' showed the studios that they didn't need young and hip directors to be down with the kids anymore, which was the main incentive for them to give greater control to maverick-ish directors, after 'Easy Rider' became such an unexpected success.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm