Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
Batman v Superman : Dawn of Justice (2016) 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman 2015
Unke wrote:
On topic, I think that this movie will probably do very well in the U.S. regardless of quality, but might have problems internationally. The image of Wonder Woman, which Ken has provided above, shows why: She's a buxom babe in star-spangled hotpants, which will look absolutely ridiculous to many non-Americans, I believe. In fact, the name "Wonder Woman" sounds a bit ridiculous, too, even by superhero standards (and don't get me started on the "lasso of truth" or the invisible plane). Further, Wonder Woman has little recognistion outside of the U.S. and perhaps the UK. I think the 70ies TV show, which my British wife remembers as a camp classic, hasn't been on the telly anywhere else. Marvel were rather clever when they introduced their lesser-known and/or more outlandish characters in stand-alone movies before bringing it all together with 'The Avengers'. Many moviegoers, who aren't into superhero comic books, would have probably thought that the idea of a Norse god as a superhero is laughable, and I suspect they'll think the same about an Amazonian princess.

Wonder Woman will be introduced in an "old fashion" way as this movie is more about Batman and Superman (the most universal DC characters). By old fashion , I mean in a similar way as when you get to know for first time a person by attending a party of one of your friends (or a well known person who invite you). Wonder Woman will have her own movie only if she clicks universally after this film and the Justice League one.

As a kid I remember reading Justice League DC comics where she is in but never bought one where she was by herself until now where I just ordered two (these ones more graphics novels than a simple comic)

They will arrive within 3 - 6 weeks and I will give my opinion after I read them

Cheers

Attachments:
wonder-woman-comic-the-new-52-wonder-woman-blood.jpg
wonder-woman-comic-the-new-52-wonder-woman-blood.jpg [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]
Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth.jpg
Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth.jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 853 times ]

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Unke wrote:
In fact, the name "Wonder Woman" sounds a bit ridiculous, too, even by superhero standards (and don't get me started on the "lasso of truth" or the invisible plane).

The only reason the word "Batman" doesn't have people rolling in the aisles is that we're used to it.

The invisible plane reminds me a lot of that scene from Futurama, when Zoidberg's house burns down, even though it's at the bottom of the sea:

Zoidberg: "My home, it burned down! How did this happen?"
Hermes: "That's a very good question."
Bender: (picks up his cigar butt from the ashes) "Oh, that's where I left my cigar."
Hermes: "That just raises further questions!"

But I do think the lasso can work, if they keep in mind that it wasn't originally just the lasso of truth. It was a lasso that forced you to obey whatever order you were given, as long as it was wrapped around you. If that sounds like it deliberate domination subtext, you are right.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm
Assistant Director

Gal Gadot got assigned Mark Twight (the same who got Henry Cavill and Antje Traue in shape for Man of Steel) by WB studios to bulk her up for her role of WW. (Read related article here)

According the same article, While shooting on Batman Vs. Superman begins next month for a 2015 release date, it is expected that Gadot will have more time to finish her training which not only involves intense physical preparation, but also martial arts training and various forms of self-defense.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I received today Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood (The New 52) and quickly read it. It was Ok (I liked it more the Justice League New 52 Vol 1 thou) . In this volume 1 Diana is already known as Wonder Woman outside of Paradise Island. She is told that she is not made from clay but she is the daughter of Zeus and Queen Hippolyta. She is protecting a woman who also Zeus got pregnant (adulterous Zeus! not wonder his God wife Hera is always pissed and grumpy lol) At this edition she can still not flight

Now according an article on the net which fully describes Wonder Woman in the new 52 depiction, Wonder Woman first appeared in the Justice League vol 1 (lol, and some people complain that she should be introduced first in a solo film)

Quote:
1st Appearance: Justice League No. 1 Cover Art (Sept. 1, 2011) (New 52 Version)

In the same article, indicates that recently she got the power of flight (I did not see the invisible plane in Vol 1 anyway lol)

Quote:
Powers: Superhuman Strength, Agility, Acrobatic prowess and the power to leap great distances. She was recently granted the power of flight by her half-brother, the messenger god, HERMES.

and her magic gear definitely includes the magic golden lasso of truth (This lasso appears in both vol 1 of WW and JL)

Quote:
Paraphernalia: Magic Silver Bracers forged by Hephaestus that allow her to deflect various weapons such as energy beams as well as projectiles like bullets and arrows! When the bracers are removed, it allows Diana to access the full extent of her powers. The limit of her powers have yet to be determined. Recently, Hephesthus enchanted the bracers with the ability to produce swords for Diana when needed in battle.Wonder Woman also carries a magic golden lasso of truth that compels anyone caught in its loop to see the truth and speak the truth. Made from Queen Hippolyta’s Magic girdle, it is virtually indestructible.

The lasso of truth besides being used to get the truth , she also uses it to catch objects or persons/aliens in battle but I have not read anywhere that in New 52 is used to command people. I think that the lasso of truth is cool but the invisible plane is campy and glad that it is gone in this depiction :-)

There is a lot of more information about Wonder Woman New 52 depiction in the article on line

Her look also looks leaner than the previous representation (see attached pic). I think that Gal Gadot with a little of bulk up can easily represent it very similar :-). Although in the Justice League art is a little bit more buffed up ;-)

Waiting for the other WW graphic novel (Spirit of truth) to arrive to write about it (I ordered it from different supplier/seller)

Cheers

Attachments:
WW new 52.JPG
WW new 52.JPG [ 35.35 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Director

‘Batman vs. Superman’ Delayed to May 6, 2016.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 pm
Auteur

Damn that sucks!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 pm
Assistant Director

Well Variety reports

Quote:
In a statement, Warners said the decision was made to “help fully realize the vision.” Warners is still casting the film including the main villain role which sources tell Variety is still in Joaquin Phoenix’s court.

I guess no point to rush it without vision or villain lol

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman now 2016
At least we're adhering to the time-honored tradition of Superman movies being plagued by delays.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:16 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:

I think it's a good thing. I never fully believed they would be able to crank that out by July 15.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 am
Producer

Just a reminder: big movie companies don't delay the release of big movies for the sake of "the vision". There's a practical issue they're having trouble with, and "the vision" is codespeak for whatever that is.

I'm not saying the creative people involved don't have a vision for what the movie should be, but they're the last people who get to decide when these things come out.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:32 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
The invisible plane reminds me a lot of that scene from Futurama, when Zoidberg's house burns down, even though it's at the bottom of the sea:

Bender: (picks up his cigar butt from the ashes) "Oh, that's where I left my cigar."

Not exactly on topic, but I wanted to say that this is one of my personal favorite Futurama episodes, one of the underrated ones IMO.

On topic, can't say I'm surprised the film got delayed since it seems to be the MO for Superman films, but I have a feeling that superhero fatigue may be setting in with audiences, and in 2 more years, it might be even more of an issue. No way it's getting Avengers or Dark Knight money unless it resonates with audiences for some reason. Hopefully Warner Bros. is being realistic with their expectations.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
Ken wrote:

Not exactly on topic, but I wanted to say that this is one of my personal favorite Futurama episodes, one of the underrated ones IMO.

On topic, can't say I'm surprised the film got delayed since it seems to be the MO for Superman films, but I have a feeling that superhero fatigue may be setting in with audiences, and in 2 more years, it might be even more of an issue. No way it's getting Avengers or Dark Knight money unless it resonates with audiences for some reason. Hopefully Warner Bros. is being realistic with their expectations.

It probably won't do that well, but I think it will at least a make couple hundred million domestic.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:49 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Just a reminder: big movie companies don't delay the release of big movies for the sake of "the vision". There's a practical issue they're having trouble with, and "the vision" is codespeak for whatever that is.

I'm not saying the creative people involved don't have a vision for what the movie should be, but they're the last people who get to decide when these things come out.

This article has some unofficial (based on unnamed internal source) reasons behind the delay . I found it entertaining to say the least. Liked the bit about the Justice League ;-)

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Producer

If Avengers 2 disappoints, the fatigue will go the other way and DC will seem fresh.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
I prefer the classic look with the skirt, but as long as they stay away from the Frank Miller star-spangled bike shorts, I'm good.

Hey Ken, just an artist fan came up with the attached look for Gal Gadot. What do you reckon?

I think that fits your preferred look.

I prefer the shorts as in the new 52 but I would be OK with the attached one too (As long they do not copy the biker shorts look from Frank Miller or the slutty pants from the infamous NBC WW TV pilot I am good too lol)

I know that pictures of the official 3 costumes (Superman was reported as having some minor tweaking from MoS) should appear soon and I can hardly wait to see them. Some people are already raving with the Batman costume for this movie which apparently is ready

PS: Still waiting for the "Spirit of Truth" graphic novel to arrive

Attachments:
gal-gadot-moviepilot-400x600.jpg
gal-gadot-moviepilot-400x600.jpg [ 43.7 KiB | Viewed 521 times ]

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I suppose that's pretty close to a big-screen realization of H. Peter's original design. My preference is either that or an honest-to-god suit of armor. (If I were from a mythical warrior race, I know which one I'd wear.) I'm also partial to Lynda Carter's costume, but really only because Lynda Carter was in it.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 am
Assistant Director

Wonder Woman in Justice League War (30 seconds YT Clip)

In this animated movie which will come out this February, WW looks a bit slender that in the Justice League New 52 comic and her costume has some minor tweaking too.

If Galdot plays her well she might influence the looks in the comic. For that she will need a lot of personality besides the physicality , a sort of a female Sean Connery that before doing Dr. No , Ian Fleming did not like him and after the film in his next book , he was so impressed with Connery's performance that made Bond half Scottish ;-)

Attachments:
Wonder Woman Justice league war.JPG
Wonder Woman Justice league war.JPG [ 21.69 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Glad to read that people involved in the Batman - Superman movie are still excited like costume designer Michael Wilkinson who is incredible thrilling :

Quote:
The Oscar, BAFTA, Critics Choice, and Costume Designers Guild Award nominee is already hard at work re-imagining some of the iconic superhero costumes for director Zach Synder’s highly anticipated Batman vs. Superman, set for release in May 2016. “It’s incredibly thrilling,” he said of the experience. “I love going to work every day. We’re so excited about creating the next Batman and Wonder Woman for the 21st century. It’s great to think about making these characters relevant and really resonate with audiences today. It’s such a thrill to be working with our director Zack Snyder. He’s creating such an exciting universe for this film. I think it’s something we’re all going to be really proud of.”

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Jesse Eisenberg cast as Lex Luthor in 'Batman/Superman' film

Uhmm. Some fans are saying "We wanted Heisenberg, not Eisenberg!" lol. I guess Eisenberg had a very good casting audition. He is one of my favourites actors and even I have hard times at this point to visualize him portraying Lex Luthor, I can hardly wait to see his performance and how fits in Snyder vision.

The same article says that Jeremy Irons will play Alfred. Jeremy Irons definitely is a very cool choice for "Alfred"

I can hardly wait for 2006!

Attachments:
Luthor-Alfred.JPG
Luthor-Alfred.JPG [ 37.04 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Director

unwindfilms wrote:
I can hardly wait for 2006!

Same here, buddy. I just need to get my WABAC machine up and running and off we go!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next