Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:18 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720 ... 843  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
But there's pretty graphic male and female nudity in Who's That Knocking, all in the context of a sex scene. You get to see Harvey Keitel's whole frank and beans. So your observation is wrong.


My observation is not wrong. I said, specifically, from Mean Streets onward. And even more particularly compared it to Goodfellas. I'll also compare it to Casino and whatever else. I found said scenes in Wall Street gratuitous, not really contributing to the story at all.


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:

My observation is not wrong.


Yes it is. S'okay. We all get a few wrong.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

My observation is not wrong.


Yes it is. S'okay. We all get a few wrong.


No, my observation is still correct my friend. But I take it you condone the other points I've made since you chose not to respond to them?


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

My observation is not wrong.


Yes it is. S'okay. We all get a few wrong.


No, my observation is still correct my friend. But I take it you condone the other points I've made since you chose not to respond to them?


Granted, there's more sex in Wolf than Scorsese's other work, but everything in the film is keeping with his style. I found nothing gratuitous about it.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
MGamesCook wrote:
But also I really hated the way people talked in this movie. There's really nothing immoral about much of the dialogue. It comes off as an attempt to be more real.




What exactly are you referring too? Give an example.


Well, Solondz is probably a bad analogy. Judd Apatow is more what I'm referring to. The whole first date with Margot Robbie. Aside from the infidelity, there's nothing immoral about it. It's just really intimate and I take it to be an attempt at realism that I found unnecessary:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
"I came after 11 seconds, but don't worry, I'm still hard"
and all that. That's really quite a departure from all of Scorsese's previous work. It feels forced. This is from a director who has never done a graphic sex scene in his career before. Now, all of a sudden, we have Wolf of Wall Street. It feels like a too-deliberate/conscientious attempt to raise the level of adult content in his movies.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jonah Hill whipping his dick out at a casual afternoon party.
I don't believe that would really happen, even given the world Scorsese is depicting. And even if it did, that's really not immoral so much as just plain weird.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
You have to jerk off twice a day.
Again, not immoral, just weird.

I've said this before, but there's just such a disconnect in this movie. We see Belfort engaging in endless debauchery, which some claim is meant to shock us. But Belfort didn't get arrested for any of that in the end. Goodfellas focuses squarely on Henry Hill's crimes, but Wall Street seems to be about everything BUT his crimes.


I mean an example of how Scorsese tries to force the dialog to be more real?


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:42 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1199
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Well I for one love it when directors branch out and try their hand at different material. I got a good laugh out of all the lines/scenes mentioned in WoWS.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:58 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
KWRoss wrote:
Well I for one love it when directors branch out and try their hand at different material. I got a good laugh out of all the lines/scenes mentioned in WoWS.


That's my point though, Wolf of Wall Street doesn't represent different material for Scorsese. It's a replay of films he's made in the past but substituting crassness and crudity for violence.

What it comes down to is that I just don't think Scorsese connected conning convincingly to debauchery. They seem like two completely separate things that just happen to be featured in the same movie together.

Quote:
I mean an example of how Scorsese tries to force the dialog to be more real?


I consider the quotes I used to be examples of that. Also some of the drug stuff, particularly the major quaalude scene. Though I didn't mind having Leo speak directly to the audience. I'll also say the theater I saw it in was pretty full and laughter was extremely minimal throughout; there wasn't a single time the whole audience was laughing all at once. So I guess people are having vastly different experiences. Personally, I don't find any of the humor to be clever at all. It's youtube video humor. Reminds me of a frat guy using his Iphone to get some indiscreet footage of a really wasted brother. No deeper than that.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.


No it's not. Why does it matter what a general audience thinks of a movie?


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:26 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.

That is pretty much the experience I had as I noted in the original post. For the first two and a half hours, I could hardly hear myself. Everybody was laughing hard. And this applies to both viewings. The only time the theater fell completely silent was, as noted, during the final half an hour, which is pretty much what Scorsese intended.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.

That is pretty much the experience I had as I noted in the original post. For the first two and a half hours, I could hardly hear myself. Everybody was laughing hard. And this applies to both viewings. The only time the theater fell completely silent was, as noted, during the final half an hour, which is pretty much what Scorsese intended.


I'm glad the movie worked so well for you and the people you saw it with. Really. I have a different opinion, and I'm not the only one. And as you're being honest about your experience in the theater, I'm being equally honest about mine.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.

That is pretty much the experience I had as I noted in the original post. For the first two and a half hours, I could hardly hear myself. Everybody was laughing hard. And this applies to both viewings. The only time the theater fell completely silent was, as noted, during the final half an hour, which is pretty much what Scorsese intended.


I'm glad the movie worked so well for you and the people you saw it with. Really. I have a different opinion, and I'm not the only one. And as you're being honest about your experience in the theater, I'm being equally honest about mine.

And that's all we can do really. So it seems we're at an impasse. I am not going to cede my ground, and you certainly don't have to cede yours. We'll just call it a draw.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
I'll also say the theater I saw it in was pretty full and laughter was extremely minimal throughout; there wasn't a single time the whole audience was laughing all at once. So I guess people are having vastly different experiences.

MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.


No it's not. Why does it matter what a general audience thinks of a movie?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:51 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 2027
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I'll also say the theater I saw it in was pretty full and laughter was extremely minimal throughout; there wasn't a single time the whole audience was laughing all at once. So I guess people are having vastly different experiences.

MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:
My theater was full and everybody was laughing at the same stuff. I took careful notice, because that shit is really important.


No it's not. Why does it matter what a general audience thinks of a movie?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2312
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Spectacular Now - *** 1/2 out of ****

Loved it. Was especially impressed by Miles Teller's performance. He's fantastic and really makes the movie. Shailene Woodley is great too and very lovely and there are nice supporting turns by the likes of Brie Larson, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kyle Chandler and Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk. A great coming of age tale.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 419
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
ilovemovies wrote:
The Spectacular Now - *** 1/2 out of ****

Loved it. Was especially impressed by Miles Teller's performance. He's fantastic and really makes the movie. Shailene Woodley is great too and very lovely and there are nice supporting turns by the likes of Brie Larson, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kyle Chandler and Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk. A great coming of age tale.

Great. I loved this one very much too. And it is nice to see you mentioning nearly every supporting actor who appears in the film. That is exactly what I wrote about the film as well. These actors who're on-screen for only a handful of minutes embody their respective characters, and that in turn makes the world they inhabit truly come alive. Just a wonderful film. What did you make of the ending? Open-ended? Or is it plainly obvious what happens after the fade to black. (It was the latter for me.)

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Wolf of Wall Street was always going to upset and offend a few of the purists, but for those that don't mind a well-acted and funny frat-boy flick directed in the same style as Goodfellas and Casino ... well happy days (no not that one)

PS, I actually already knew full well of Margo Robbie's existence from years of being subjected to longrunning Days of Our Lives-esq Australian soap, Neighbours.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:00 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I have to say, I had no idea until afterward that she wasn't an American. Her accent was pretty damned convincing.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:27 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
I have to say, I had no idea until afterward that she wasn't an American. Her accent was pretty damned convincing.


Yeah!

I bet she's watched My Cousin Vinny more than once before shooting that. She had that real Brooklyn twang

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Armored

This is another one Vexer threw my way a while back, and damn if this isn't a really solid film. A group of armored truck drivers conspire to steal 42 million, but everything goes wrong and they turn on each other. Like I said, not spectacular but solid craftsmanship with a strong cast of workmanlike actors, including Matt Dillon, Jean Reno and Larry Fishburne.

One small quibble: The heist as the characters conceive it is completely impossible; it can't work under any circumstances. But if you put that aside and run with it, this is 90 minutes of good entertainment.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720 ... 843  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bones, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr