Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718 ... 843  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Machete Kills (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2002718/
Robert Rodriguez's sequel to Machete is every bit as "good" (if you know what I mean) as the first one, and more. Packed to the brim with hilarious one-liners, over the top fight scenes and highly inventive kills. More A- and B-listers than you can point a machete at, including Amber Heard, Michelle Rodriguez, Charlie Sheen (as the President of the USA, no less), Lady Gaga, Antonio Banderas, Cuba Gooding Jr., Vanessa Hudgens and Mel Gibson (as the megalomaniacal villain that should make Skyfall's Javier Bardem hang his head in utter shame and embarrassment). The irreplaceable Danny Trejo is of course is back as the title character, chopping his way to victory with his favourite weapon. This movie is just great B-grade fun from beginning to end, created by a director and cast who seem to really understand (and love) the cheesy exploitation genre. The film opens and closes with a priceless heavily Star Wars inspired sequel (apparently to be titled Machete Kills Again... in Space), that I have no idea is serious or not, but would be sure to see.
7.5/10. "Machete don't tweet".

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Machete Kills (2013)
Robert Rodriguez's sequel to Machete is every bit as "good" (if you know what I mean) as the first one, and more. Packed to the brim with hilarious one-liners, over the top fight scenes and highly inventive kills. More A- and B-listers than you can point a machete at, including Amber Heard, Michelle Rodriguez, Charlie Sheen (as the President of the USA, no less), Lady Gaga, Antonio Banderas, Cuba Gooding Jr., Vanessa Hudgens and Mel Gibson (as the megalomaniacal villain that should make Skyfall's Javier Bardem hang his head in utter shame and embarrassment). The irreplaceable Danny Trejo is of course is back as the title character, chopping his way to victory with his favourite weapon. This movie is just great B-grade fun from beginning to end, created by a director and cast who seem to really understand (and love) the cheesy exploitation genre. The film opens and closes with a priceless heavily Star Wars inspired sequel (apparently to be titled Machete Kills Again... in Space), that I have no idea is serious or not, but would be sure to see.

Glad to hear you enjoyed this film, Machete Kills In Space is indeed in the pre-production stages, can't wait to see it!

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I've been interested in both of these for quite a while, especially Computer Chess. You're the first non-critic I know who's seen it, so your thoughts have bummed me out. The AV Club ranked it fairly high on their best of 2013 list. I can't remember if The Dissolve did as well, but my guess is they did.

Yeah, both the very-hard-to-please Mike D'Angelo and Scott Tobias give the film enthusiastic scores in the two sites, but even after reading their reviews I just don't see it. What they say take the film to another level than just impeccable period recreation (the dramedy stuff) bogs it down for me. Might work for you though; it's certainly an eccentric film.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed this film, Machete Kills In Space is indeed in the pre-production stages, can't wait to see it!

Viewed objectively it's a "bad" film, but subjectively it's great. Really it would be a 9/10 film for me when looked at as pure entertainment. It's one of the best examples of this genre I've ever seen. Our host wasn't too enthused, but perhaps he was simply trying to not lose his hard won recognition as a serious respected film critic ;-).

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:48 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Viewed objectively it's a "bad" film, but subjectively it's great. Really it would be a 9/10 film for me when looked at as pure entertainment. It's one of the best examples of this genre I've ever seen. Our host wasn't too enthused, but perhaps he was simply trying to not lose his hard won recognition as a "serious" critic" ;-).

Yeah I think JB also took the first film too seriously, believing it was trying to make a serious political statement about immigration when it really wasn't.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:58 am
Producer

Machete Kills has a killer cast, all of whom are great, with Mel Gibson, Amber Heard, Damian Bichir and a terrific cameo by Walton Goggins, being the highlight of the movie. But cast a side, I'd hardly call it great. It's mildly amusing. And the ending, even for a movie like this, is inexcusable.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:43 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Unke- I would think someone like you would've avoided seeing RIPD altogether, it dosen't sound like the type of film that would normally appeal to me, so i'm wondering why you checked it out to begin with.

It's reasonable for people to want someone to actually finish a film before reviewing, a lot of people got REALLY pissed at Roger Ebert when he gave a movie a one star review before finishing it, so he had to go back and finish it and update his review in order to correct his mistake.

I think at the very least if you haven't finished a film, then you shouldn't give it a rating.

Fair enough, but, unlike the late Roger Ebert, I am not a film critic, nevermind a professional one. I've also seen enough of 'R.I.P.D.' to be confident about my rating. I recently watched bits of 'Sharknado', 'Sand Sharks' and 'Bat Attack' and didn't enjoy any of it as well. I didn't weigh in on these movies, though, because I saw too little of them.

As for the choice of movie: It was my wife's pick. I hoped it would at least be silly fun, so I didn't object. It wasn't. Oh, and my wife didn't finish the movie either.

Btw, what makes you think that I shouldn't enjoy a movie just because you do?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:57 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Machete Kills has a killer cast, all of whom are great, with Mel Gibson, Amber Heard, Damian Bichir and a terrific cameo by Walton Goggins, being the highlight of the movie. But cast a side, I'd hardly call it great. It's mildly amusing. And the ending, even for a movie like this, is inexcusable.

I'll admit the ending could've been better, but it's far from the worst i've seen.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:20 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

Well (obviously) I beg to differ here. Machete Kills imo was "great" at what it is trying to be: an unashamedly cheesy B-grade action/comedy film. High-art this is clearly not. BTW, what was your issue with ending? You didn't like the set-up for the space sequel?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:22 am
Producer

Quote:
Well (obviously) I beg to differ here. Machete Kills imo was "great" at what it is trying to be: an unashamedly cheesy B-grade action/comedy film. High-art this is clearly not. BTW, what was your issue with ending? You didn't like the set-up for the space sequel?

Space is probably where the final Resident Evil is headed. No matter what Rodriguez does, the Machete films can never be genuine B movies. Real B movies aren't out to lampoon themselves or their idea of what the genre is. Many of them have an earnestness: they actually care about their material and set some store by it.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 am
Producer

nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

It doesn't have an ending.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 am
Producer

Pacific Rim - ** 1/2 out of ****

It's a mildly diverting movie and I like the cast and surprisingly enjoyed some of the character stuff. Also the idea of linking up to another person's mind is a neat idea, not to mention to the aliens. Too bad they never really do anything with that. Also Guillermo Del Torro makes the asinine decision to have all of the action/fight scenes take place at night and/or in the rain and/or in and under water. That along with the excessive use of CGI makes most of the fight/action scenes rather incomprehensible.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Space is probably where the final Resident Evil is headed. No matter what Rodriguez does, the Machete films can never be genuine B movies. Real B movies aren't out to lampoon themselves or their idea of what the genre is. Many of them have an earnestness: they actually care about their material and set some store by it.

Whether they're B-movies or not, they're still entertaining.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 am
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Machete Kills (2013)

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Machete thing. I have nothing inherently against puerile trash; but I feel actually dirty after watching these.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:34 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Machete Kills (2013)

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Machete thing. I have nothing inherently against puerile trash; but I feel actually dirty after watching these.

That's how I felt after watching the Twilight movies.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Machete Kills (2013)

That's how I felt after watching the Twilight movies.

I was more angry after Twilight

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Machete Kills (2013)

Agreed, I felt dirty and uncomfortable after Machete. Not in a good way. I always feel that way though when a movie doesn't take its own story seriously.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 am
Director

Beyond the Hills (2013)

2.5 hours. Mostly static frames. Half the movie of people talking and going about everyday life. Not sounding terribly like interesting cinema, but as with 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, director Cristian Mungiu manages to mine the mundane for compelling authenticity and tension. This time, instead of two friends with one trying for abortion, the story takes place in an Orthodox convent in Romanian countryside and is about two friends where one is increasingly overcome with illness, both mental and physical, to the point of getting suspected of being possessed by demon.

Based on a true story, this could have been a chance for outraged finger-pointing or stereotyping, but the film instead gets its dramatic power from empathizing for all sides without getting anyone off the hook, be it government, religion, or healthcare. Still, 150 minutes did become excessive and repetitive in some intervals, even though I never become less than gripped (can't fault anyone losing patience with it though; the film maybe prides itself a bit much on being grueling). The way Mungiu very slowly tightens the screw bit by bit is masterful and never less than realistic. There are stretches towards the end as viscerally intense and emotional as the last half hour of 4 Months. A very slow-burn but rewarding drama. 8.5/10

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 pm
Cinematographer

Two over the past few days:

The Act of Killing

It's certainly a very good documentary that tells a story about horrific real-life happenings in an engrossing way. It's hard to watch a lot of the movie without having to constantly pick your jaw up off the floor. The people in this movie, the world they inhabit, and their complete disregard for the value of another person's life makes them seem almost alien. The people are revolting, but the film is not. That's a pretty tough thing to accomplish.

That said, the ending of the film feels completely at odds with the feel of the rest of the movie, and at odds with documentary filmmaking in general. The best docs concerning real life (I'm talking the likes of Hoop Dreams and Harlan County USA) tend to make their comments much more subtly and let real life speak for itself. Sure, there's a certain amount of strategic editing involved that pushes the viewer to make certain connections (or manipulation if you want to call it that), but it's woven into the film naturally and doesn't feel like part of a narrative arc. The ending of The Act of Killing feels very much like the resolution of a narrative arc that's been building to this point for the past two hours. This is true both in terms of the real life statements the film wants to make about guilt, and the more aristically minded statement about how cinema can affect the mind. It holds the film back from achieving greatness in my eyes.

Still excellent, though.

Frances Ha

I've maligned Criterion for releasing current releases very quickly in the past, but I'm grateful for this one. That's because of this wonderful essay that accompanies the release. The essay nails everything about why it's such a fantastic little film. I think we all go through something similar in that mid-20s time of our lives where we're supposed to be an adult, but are either unsure how to completely do it, or just plain don't want to. The movie has a timeless quality about it, but also feels very much a product of its time. It's just great.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Man of Steel

I am not the sort of person who necessarily feels that there is such a thing as too much action in a movie, nor do I usually feel the need to complain about action for the sake of action... but I dunno there does come a point when anything can become too much. Does Metropolis have magic buildings that simply regrow whenever there isn't a filmmaker's camera filmming them? Man of Steel definitely crosses a line during the climax, and I feel a need to call out filmmakers when they present the audience with intriguing possibilities that are never adequately developed.

The first intriguing possibility has to do with Louis Lane, specifically a brief sequence where she does some hard investigating reporting into Supermans history on earth. Personally, I found myself wondering what this movie would have looked like if the first half (post krypton) had been told entirely through the eyes of Louis Lane going through and doing research on this enigma/urban legend. The flashback sequences would have at least made more sense that way and it would have given the film a "fresher" feel. Well maybe not, but having a superhero film borrow the main structure of Citizen Kane would certainly have been different.

Which brings me to a minor problem I had and what may be Nolan's most obvious influence (outside of the film being dark and I question that given the propensity of dark films these days). Namely the tendency to tell the story out of order, even when there was no real dramatic need to do so. Admittedly, this didn't feel quite as bad in Man of Steel, but I can't say that I am a fan of the use of the same plot structure employed by Batman Begins as it tends to (in my opinion) mute dramatic momentum/impact. At least this time we were only given two main timelines to have to follow, not 3 as in Batman Begins.

The second possibility the film ignores (and I thought it was going to be a bigger deal given the way it was set up in the trailer) but I would have liked to have seen some kind of debate between world leaders, maybe at the UN or something, on whether or not to give up Superman to the kryptonians. Both possibilities represent incredible risks and difficulties. Like, would the kryptonians keep there word and not try and destroy earth? Because if they didn't, you've just handed them your best chance at defending yourself from them. It would have been really interesting to have seen this debate actually played out, instead it's just... resolved in a single line. Sure, we do get a brief scene from Superman, debating the pros and cons but that's it.

Also, did anyone feel like during the first half, there was a sort of constant stream of different people simply explaining stuff to the audience via voice-over?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Or that General Zod's plan was kind of silly? If they really had that kind of terraforming ability, why not just use it on a nice dead planet someplace else in the galaxy? Also, didn't the kryptonian scientist guy draw Superman's blood, thus meaning they would now have more than a few copies of the codex, if Jor-El had really placed it in Superman's DNA? This last point confused me, as Zod kept going on about needing to harvest it from Superman's body, after they had drawn his blood.

Also, did anyone think the science on that one through? So Superman's cells would have to contain not only his own DNA but the DNA code of every (future) kryptonian as well? That's a lot of DNA for each of his cells to be carrying around... Also, why can't the kryptonians just derive a new codex using their own DNA? After all, it's just a plan/blueprint, why is the original so important, particularly after Krypton was destroyed?

I did however like one thing that seemed straight out of the x-men films, which was the idea that the world would reject Superman if they found out who he was. Nice queer subtext there that I appreciated.

Also, Ken's analysis that you have a pretty good Superman film except when General Zod shows up and everyone's IQ drops is pretty much spot on in my view.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718 ... 843  Next