Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 307
Post Re: General Movie News


I would say this isn't surprising, but primetime network TV has had homosexual kissing and, well, SVU. Whatever MPAA.


Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:48 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Someone took this scene from Fight Club and edited Tyler out of it.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: General Movie News


No comment....


Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 196
Post Re: General Movie News


Wouldn't this technically be a comment?

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: General Movie News
JJoshay wrote:


Wouldn't this technically be a comment?


Haha, indeed. "No comment" and phrases like, "I'm not even going to dignify that with a response" are among my least favorite phrases in the English language. A person can't use them in any situation with it being an immediate contradiction. It's just weird that they exist in the first place.


Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
"No comment" from someone who has not been asked for comment is beyond useless, but it's also sort of funny if you're in a generous mood.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 307
Post Re: General Movie News
PeachyPete wrote:
Haha, indeed. "No comment" and phrases like, "I'm not even going to dignify that with a response" are among my least favorite phrases in the English language. A person can't use them in any situation with it being an immediate contradiction. It's just weird that they exist in the first place.


"No comment" is extremely useful if saying what you really feel will get you in trouble, like say at your job.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:48 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: General Movie News
Gwaihir wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Haha, indeed. "No comment" and phrases like, "I'm not even going to dignify that with a response" are among my least favorite phrases in the English language. A person can't use them in any situation with it being an immediate contradiction. It's just weird that they exist in the first place.


"No comment" is extremely useful if saying what you really feel will get you in trouble, like say at your job.


If I was a celebrity, and my income (namely my ability to remain well liked and rich) depended on not pissing off the public, when asked any question pertaining to politics, or my opinion on any controversial subject, my response would always be "no comment."

Roastbeef, how do you feel about gun control? No comment. Roast, how do you feel about homosexuality? No comment. Roast, how do you feel about Obama? No comment. Roast, what is your favorite candy?...you see where I'm going with this?

There have been way too many bad things happen to public personalities because they say something wrong (wrong in the eyes of the judging public who are looking for another witch to burn). Usually, I wouldn't have a problem stating my opinion in any shape or form. I was recently banned for 2 weeks because I didn't care, and someone had the power to kick me off a trivial forum. Imagine losing millions of $$$ because you said the wrong thing (intentionally, or unintentionally, it doesn't matter this day and age).

Hell, it's easy to seek to do the right thing and even get shvtcanned. Within the past few months, a friend of mine was let go for making certain comments. These comments weren't even pertaining to a controversial opinion...they were along the line of ..."Boss, you are wrong...this process isn't working, we need to do this or that differently." All of a sudden, my friend gets a bad review and..."I'm sorry, we are making cutbacks and must let you go...here is your severance."

No comment.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am
Posts: 106
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's making more Avatars because Avatar is a perfect cross-section of where his interests are at this stage in his career. If he wanted to make another Terminator 2 or True Lies, he'd be doing it and they'd probably be making him just as much money.


I agree with the beef that it would be waaaaaay more interesting to see what he does with Battle Angel than seeing another three Avatar movies. I’ve only read the first few of the comics, but they’re pretty fun for what they are. But I get it. He’s getting a ton of money to play around in world he’s been thinking about since the early 90s. I just wish it was something I found remotely entertaining.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:59 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: General Movie News
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Hell, it's easy to seek to do the right thing and even get shvtcanned. Within the past few months, a friend of mine was let go for making certain comments. These comments weren't even pertaining to a controversial opinion...they were along the line of ..."Boss, you are wrong...this process isn't working, we need to do this or that differently." All of a sudden, my friend gets a bad review and..."I'm sorry, we are making cutbacks and must let you go...here is your severance."

No comment.


It is common, if not universal, for people to believe that their ideas will work if given a chance despite evidence to the contrary. It's tough sometimes to know when to change strategies. On one hand, true revolutionary change often only comes through persistence through struggles until the benefits show themselves. Much more often though, if something isn't working then some unanticipated or unconsidered factors are, and will continue to defeat the idea since it is based on an incomplete view.

Almost everyone will encounter bosses, and most will encounter organizations like your buddy did. Although the temporary hardships are bad, most will be better off in the long run being cast off by an organization that will not at least tolerate differences of opinion. They may disregard the opinion since an organization must have unity of purpose to succeed, but they should be willing to consider differences if they want to be adaptable enough to advance and grow.

I hope your buddy lands with a better organization as a result of his current misfortune.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: General Movie News
Gwaihir wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Haha, indeed. "No comment" and phrases like, "I'm not even going to dignify that with a response" are among my least favorite phrases in the English language. A person can't use them in any situation with it being an immediate contradiction. It's just weird that they exist in the first place.


"No comment" is extremely useful if saying what you really feel will get you in trouble, like say at your job.


I understand why the phrase is sometimes used, but it's still a contradiction of itself. By saying, "no comment," you are, in fact, commenting on the subject you're claiming you will not comment on.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: General Movie News
It might not be a comment directed at the subject as much as a comment that the dominant elements of the forum will not tolerate, consider, or respect a differing opinion on the subject.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: General Movie News
CasualDad wrote:
It might not be a comment directed at the subject as much as a comment that the dominant elements of the forum will not tolerate, consider, or respect a differing opinion on the subject.


It was more of a joke than anything, but if you guys want to get into semantics we can do just that. No matter how it's spun, it's still a contradiction. You are making a comment despite claiming that you do not have a comment. In other words, saying that you don't have a comment is still a comment.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:13 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: General Movie News
Quote:
Tarantino's next film has a title! It's called The Hateful Eight, and there are rumors swirling that it could star Bruce Dern. I'm absolutely intrigued.


weird story developing...

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells me that he’s so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf — literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells me he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

So who could have done this? “I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these fucking agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”

He hopes that this might cause reps and actors to be more discreet. When I broke news of the script’s title, I said I’d heard that the actors it went to included Dern, and Christoph Waltz. I was wrong about the latter. Instead it was Madsen, star of Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bill films, and Pulp Fiction star Roth.

“I hadn’t given it to Christoph, I haven’t given it to Sam Jackson,” he said. “I gave it to three motherfucking actors. We met in a place, and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlin’s agent never had a copy. It’s got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names.”


http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/quentin ... eak-novel/


Last edited by calvero on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 623
Post Re: General Movie News
I wasn't trying to be picky - just trying to add more to the discussion. However, I've done enough off topic in this thread and now shall cease unless I see some interesting movie news to relay.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
If I was a celebrity, and my income (namely my ability to remain well liked and rich) depended on not pissing off the public, when asked any question pertaining to politics, or my opinion on any controversial subject, my response would always be "no comment."

Roastbeef, how do you feel about gun control? No comment. Roast, how do you feel about homosexuality? No comment. Roast, how do you feel about Obama? No comment. Roast, what is your favorite candy?...you see where I'm going with this?
Celebrities are in a position where they have no choice but to say something, so they say "no comment". You're not in that position. If you truly did not want to say anything, then, to borrow from Mike Birbiglia, what you should have said was nothing.

People who say "no comment" when they haven't been asked for one are usually trying to bait their way into the conversation that their comment would have instigated anyway. Surprise surprise that this is exactly what seems to have happened here.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
There have been way too many bad things happen to public personalities because they say something wrong (wrong in the eyes of the judging public who are looking for another witch to burn). Usually, I wouldn't have a problem stating my opinion in any shape or form. I was recently banned for 2 weeks because I didn't care, and someone had the power to kick me off a trivial forum. Imagine losing millions of $$$ because you said the wrong thing (intentionally, or unintentionally, it doesn't matter this day and age).

Oh please. You know exactly why you were banned. Everybody does.

For the record, you don't need to restate your position that you think gay people are icky and gross. We're aware of that, too.

For one thing, it should not prevent you from understanding the thrust of the article; therefore it is irrelevant on that score.

For another thing, it has disturbing implications for our democracy that such a childish, knee-jerk opinion can influence somebody's opinion of public policy

For another thing, saying it never got you banned before, so I don't know why you think it would now.




So, how about that leaked Tarantino script? Is there anyone in the movie biz at this point who doesn't have horribly sticky fingers?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1713
Post Re: General Movie News
Quote:
So, how about that leaked Tarantino script? Is there anyone in the movie biz at this point who doesn't have horribly sticky fingers?


I'm surprised he's making such a big thing of it. Everybody read Django Unchained more than a year before its release. Many have already read the leaked Interstellar script. I do find it disheartening that this happens in general though. It speaks badly for the professionalism of the industry if scripts can be leaked so easily.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
On one hand, it is bad and unethical for agents that this happened. On the other hand, not crazy about Tarantino doing another western so now I'm more curious about his next project.


Been reading twitter of Sundance. Nymph()maniac Part 1 is unexpectedly tamer and more well-received than I thought, with more focus on comedy. Also before this, I have worry that The Raid 2's running time is too excessive. The almost hyperbolic reaction indicates that the crime story is at least well thought out though. Some said it maybe went too far near NC-17 (heard the word "gross" a couple of times).


Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
So, how about that leaked Tarantino script? Is there anyone in the movie biz at this point who doesn't have horribly sticky fingers?


I'm surprised he's making such a big thing of it. Everybody read Django Unchained more than a year before its release. Many have already read the leaked Interstellar script. I do find it disheartening that this happens in general though. It speaks badly for the professionalism of the industry if scripts can be leaked so easily.

I think Tarantino is overreacting a bit, I can understand him being annoyed at the script being leaked, but with him pushing the film back it kinda seems like he's having a tantrum or something.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
I'm surprised he's making such a big thing of it. Everybody read Django Unchained more than a year before its release. Many have already read the leaked Interstellar script. I do find it disheartening that this happens in general though. It speaks badly for the professionalism of the industry if scripts can be leaked so easily.

I was just thinking that. Is it really worth compromising your ethics just to be the one to do the anonymous film industry equivalent of saying "first!" on a message board?

It could be that QT is still sore about the Django incident and he's at the end of his tolerance for this sort of thing. If so, I can't say I blame him. It has to be tremendously rewarding to unveil your completed project to the world, and that opportunity was taken by somebody else at the earliest stage. How annoying that must be.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr