Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Oscar Nominations 2014 
Author Message
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 25
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Ken wrote:
Steven wrote:
Biggest snub of the day: 12 Years A Slave misses out on a cinematography nomination

And yet Gravity gets a nom.

These people need to walk into the ocean.



100% agree


Green Screen = Visual Effects


Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
KWRoss wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:
The sad thing is that there's always so much politics with these. You'd think everyone on the AMPAS board would just keep up with the releases and watch all the movies just like critics do, mark down anything that leaps out at them as award worthy (from acting, directing, cinematography, set design, etc), then everyone just makes their own informed decision.


Right, just because they don't agree with YOU they must not be informed or watch everything. I just looked up your top 10. 5 of them received Best Picture nominations! what more do you want? 9 for 9 to match? do you also get pissed when you meet people who don't have the same favorite movie as you? yeah, them politics shapes everything Oscar does. like those box office monsters/Oscar bait flicks Amour and Beats of the Southern Wild getting Best pic nominations last year.


You're right. I went too far there. I shouldn't accuse anyone of not seeing the movies. Sorry everyone. I blew it again.


To be fair, politics DO have something to do with it. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise. It's probably why Robert Redford didn't get nominated. He did barely any campaigning. Of course Tom Hanks did so it doesn't always factor in. But a lot of times it does.


Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:20 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2047
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Steven wrote:
Biggest snub of the day: 12 Years A Slave misses out on a cinematography nomination


I don't think it particularly deserved one.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1547
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
KWRoss wrote:
A few thoughts:

Nothing for FRUITVALE STATION, eh? Not surprised. This marks the third year in a row my #1 movie (following SHAME in 2011 and LOOPER in 2012) garners zero noms. Politics, politics, politics.

Nothing for Daniel Bruhl in RUSH ? Grrrrrrrrr.....

Finally, let it be known that if AMERICAN HUSTLE picks up a huge momentum and wins Best Picture, it will be the worst winner of my lifetime. That includes SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.


On the first part, it's happened to me too. My #1 pick of 2011 (Drive) got no love at all. Likewise my fave of 1997 (Boogie Nights) didn't get a Best Picture nomination. Although it did get Best Screenplay nomination. Using the then standard five pictures my best picture ballot for 1997 would have been

Boogie Nights
LA Confidential
The Sweet Hereafter
Eve's Bayou
The Ice Storm

Shame would have been a more appropriate nominee than most of what was nominated for 2011. I remember observing right after the nominations were announced that I didn't think any of them (aside from maybe Tree Of Life) were going to hold up that well in 10 years. But the overall quality of the nominations wasn't surprising seeing as 2011 was a VERY weak film year.

I like American Hustle a lot. I don't see it winning though. To me, the worst winners of my lifetime were:

The English Patient over Fargo
The King's Speech Over The Social Network
Titanic Over LA Confidential
Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:32 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1547
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
After thinking about ones that should have been nominated but weren't I compiled this list:

http://www.listchallenges.com/22-films-that-didnt-get-a-best-picture-oscar

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:49 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 396
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Quote:
To be fair, politics DO have something to do with it. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise. It's probably why Robert Redford didn't get nominated. He did barely any campaigning. Of course Tom Hanks did so it doesn't always factor in. But a lot of times it does.



The whole politics thing is a bit overrated as it is more about marketing and awareness that has an influence than any kind of organized group think(unless your Mel Gibson but not Polanski and Woody Allen). Redford himself blames Roadside(or Roadkill)films for not even distributing the movie let alone running an Oscar campaign. The Oscars are voter based for good and bad but you look at Cannes with a jury of peers and some of their choices are not always the best either. If you want a level playing field ban all Oscar campaigning and outlaw free DVDs and gift baskets to AMPAS voters and make them go see the movie like everyone else. Otherwise you have to follow the advice of Oscar campaign consultants which is interesting to read especially Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert DeNiro kissing babies.


http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/five-oscar-tactics-hollywood-swears-will-work.html


Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Syd Henderson wrote:
I don't think it particularly deserved one.

Why not? I thought the cinematography in 12 Years A Slave was exceptional, and even if you weren't so jazzed about it as I was, surely you can at least see its relative merits compared to what did get nominated.

Here's what I said in the original thread:

Quote:
Also marvelous is Sean Bobbitt's photography. This is a real camera operator, pointing a real camera at real stuff, shooting on real film, and his shots are impeccable. Perhaps he aestheticizes the violence, but that's what movies do--and there is something immediate and insurmountably horrifying about a tightly framed straight-on closeup of a human back that has been lashed so much that the skin hangs from it in tatters. Had Bobbitt self-consciously tried to ug up these shots for the sake of what passes for visceral realism in today's Hollywood movies, it would have been equivalent to looking away and only allowing the violence in through the periphery. Not so here--it's straightforward, direct. Bobbitt also pulls off several remarkable twists of perception in his choices. In one key scene near the end, the film goes into overcrank on Ejiofor's bewildered face and the focus is shallowed to the point that the environment around him dissolves into a surreal mush. Ejiofor's character can scarcely believe what happens in that moment, and the visual that Bobbitt creates is an expression of that feeling. As long as I'm dishing out preemptive imaginary Oscars, give Bobbitt the Best Cinematography Award before it gets stolen by some nonsense that was cartooned up in a computer.


Looking back, it's almost like I could see the future.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Jeff Wilder wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
A few thoughts:

Nothing for FRUITVALE STATION, eh? Not surprised. This marks the third year in a row my #1 movie (following SHAME in 2011 and LOOPER in 2012) garners zero noms. Politics, politics, politics.

Nothing for Daniel Bruhl in RUSH ? Grrrrrrrrr.....

Finally, let it be known that if AMERICAN HUSTLE picks up a huge momentum and wins Best Picture, it will be the worst winner of my lifetime. That includes SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.


On the first part, it's happened to me too. My #1 pick of 2011 (Drive) got no love at all. Likewise my fave of 1997 (Boogie Nights) didn't get a Best Picture nomination. Although it did get Best Screenplay nomination. Using the then standard five pictures my best picture ballot for 1997 would have been

Boogie Nights
LA Confidential
The Sweet Hereafter
Eve's Bayou
The Ice Storm

Shame would have been a more appropriate nominee than most of what was nominated for 2011. I remember observing right after the nominations were announced that I didn't think any of them (aside from maybe Tree Of Life) were going to hold up that well in 10 years. But the overall quality of the nominations wasn't surprising seeing as 2011 was a VERY weak film year.

I like American Hustle a lot. I don't see it winning though. To me, the worst winners of my lifetime were:

The English Patient over Fargo
The King's Speech Over The Social Network
Titanic Over LA Confidential
Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas


Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan (or The Thin Red Line or even Elizabeth) is the worst offense the Academy has ever committed. They will NEVER live that one down. And I thought Shakespeare in Love was okay. It's actually not the worst movie to ever win best picture. I even liked it more than The King's Speech which I really didn't care for. It's just that it's enjoyable fluff but it's still fluff where as Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece.

While I agree that L.A. Confidential should have won, I think Titanic is a really great movie, so I'm not too pissed about that one. Besides, Confidential isn't even my favorite movie of that year. My favorite movie of that year is Contact, which wasn't even nominated.


Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1686
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
A little bit of will win/should win:

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Will win: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Should win: Either Leto or Jonah Hill

Leto is an exceptional actor who as been turning in great performances for a while now. However, Supporting Actor is a strong category this year. If Leto doesn't take home the prize I would like to see Hill win, because his performance is fantastic.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Will win: Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Should win: Anybody but Jennifer Lawrence, preferably Lupita Nyong'o.

Nyong'o's performance in 12 Years a Slave is heartbreaking, and deserves to be recognized. She holds her own with Chewitel Ejiofor, who is equally excellent. However, Lawrence is Hollywood's current IT GIRL, so that means she'll win.

ACTRESS
Will win: Amy Adams, American Hustle
Should win: Adams

Simply put, Adams is the lone woman in the category without a win. She's been turning in great performances for a while now, and this is her fifth nod. Time for her to win.

ACTOR
Will win: Chewitel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Should win: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Ejiofor is excellent, and I won't begrudge him if he wins. However, DiCaprio turns in the best performance of his career, and like Robert DeNiro in an earlier Scorsese film, makes a scumbag a completely compelling character. Leo deserves this.

DIRECTOR
Will win: Either Alfonso Cuaron or Steve McQueen
Should win: McQueen

Scorsese has won already, so I think the Director award should go to someone who hasn't won. All of the other four nominees have bodies of work that deserve to be recognized, but I'm going with McQueen on this one. 12 Years a Slave is an exceptional film, and without having the benefit of seeing Nebraska yet (it hasn't opened in my area), I feel comfortable saying McQueen should win.

PICTURE
Will win: 12 Years a Slave
Should win: The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years is great film, but it's not the best film of the year. That title belongs to Scorsese's best work since The Departed. But it won't win, because it's probably too unpleasant for the usually conservative Academy. Plus, 12 Years is about an IMPORTANT ISSUE. So 12 Years is this year's Best Picture.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 297
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
PICTURE
Will win: 12 Years a Slave
Should win: The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years is great film, but it's not the best film of the year. That title belongs to Scorsese's best work since The Departed. But it won't win, because it's probably too unpleasant for the usually conservative Academy. Plus, 12 Years is about an IMPORTANT ISSUE. So 12 Years is this year's Best Picture.


Also the Academy tends to avoid controversy like the plague, and there's no doubt that Wolf is the controversial picture of last year, unless your name is Armond White. :roll:


Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:46 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1262
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
ilovemovies wrote:
Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan (or The Thin Red Line or even Elizabeth) is the worst offense the Academy has ever committed. They will NEVER live that one down. And I thought Shakespeare in Love was okay. It's actually not the worst movie to ever win best picture. I even liked it more than The King's Speech which I really didn't care for. It's just that it's enjoyable fluff but it's still fluff where as Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece.

While I agree that L.A. Confidential should have won, I think Titanic is a really great movie, so I'm not too pissed about that one. Besides, Confidential isn't even my favorite movie of that year. My favorite movie of that year is Contact, which wasn't even nominated.

[Sigh] Here we go again. Worse than "Kramer Vs. Kramer" over "Apocalypse Now"? Or "Rocky" over... well, any of the other 4 nominees that year ("Taxi Driver" especially)? Or "The King's Speech" over the majority of the other nominees that year ("Black Swan" especially)? I consider "Saving Private Ryan" one of the most overrated films of the last 25 years; a bunch of cardboard characters in the midst of brilliantly directed combat scenes and an offensively manipulative framing device ending. :?

As for this year's nominees, I'm most disappointed about the lack of love for "Inside Llewyn Davis," and the fact that "Monsters University" was snubbed for Best Animated Feature (yet "The Croods" somehow wasn't :| ).


Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:30 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
I haven't seen Kramer Vs Kramer so I can't comment on that. Plus, while I do Apocalypse Now is great, I don't think it's a masterpiece. I'm among those who found the third act to be rather flawed. It was great until they find Marlon Brando's character.

I haven't seen Taxi Driver or the other nominees but Rocky is one of my favorite movies of all time so even if I do think those other movies are better, I still wouldn't be pissed because I love Rocky.

Agreed on The King's Speech and that Black Swan should have won. But I still think Shakespeare in Love winning is the worst offense even though I liked it more than King's Speech just because I disagree with you on Saving Private Ryan and I think it's one of the greatest movies of all time. In fact, I have it on my personal 10 favorite movies of all time.


Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1262
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
I'd say get off your ass and see "Taxi Driver" NOW. :P


Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1660
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Gravity and 12 Years tied for producer's guild. Close race.


Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2047
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
ilovemovies wrote:
I haven't seen Kramer Vs Kramer so I can't comment on that. Plus, while I do Apocalypse Now is great, I don't think it's a masterpiece. I'm among those who found the third act to be rather flawed. It was great until they find Marlon Brando's character.

I haven't seen Taxi Driver or the other nominees but Rocky is one of my favorite movies of all time so even if I do think those other movies are better, I still wouldn't be pissed because I love Rocky.

Agreed on The King's Speech and that Black Swan should have won. But I still think Shakespeare in Love winning is the worst offense even though I liked it more than King's Speech just because I disagree with you on Saving Private Ryan and I think it's one of the greatest movies of all time. In fact, I have it on my personal 10 favorite movies of all time.


No, The Social Network was the film that should have won over The King's Speech although I like The King's Speech and Black Swan.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1262
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Syd Henderson wrote:
No, The Social Network was the film that should have won over The King's Speech although I like The King's Speech and Black Swan.

Honestly, I've continued to skip "The Social Network" due to its 'topicality.' :| But if and when I see it, I doubt I'll like it more than "Black Swan." As I've mentioned elsewhere, this film would've been utter trash in lesser hands (sort of "Single White Female Goes to the Ballet" :P ), but Aronofsky manages to turn it into a heady cocktail of "The Red Shoes," "Repulsion," "Mulholland Drive," and just a pinch of David Cronenberg's version of "The Fly."


Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
No, The Social Network was the film that should have won over The King's Speech although I like The King's Speech and Black Swan.

Honestly, I've continued to skip "The Social Network" due to its 'topicality.'

Remember Ebert. The movie ain't about what it's "about".

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1660
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
No, The Social Network was the film that should have won over The King's Speech although I like The King's Speech and Black Swan.

Honestly, I've continued to skip "The Social Network" due to its 'topicality.' :| But if and when I see it, I doubt I'll like it more than "Black Swan." As I've mentioned elsewhere, this film would've been utter trash in lesser hands (sort of "Single White Female Goes to the Ballet" :P ), but Aronofsky manages to turn it into a heady cocktail of "The Red Shoes," "Repulsion," "Mulholland Drive," and just a pinch of David Cronenberg's version of "The Fly."


Fincher's method of coverage is extremely peculiar, and I doubt it'll click with mainstream audiences more than it already has. My favorite of his is easily Zodiac, but even there he overshoots his scenes and his images often don't cut together very well; the cuts are jarring and sometimes awkward. Most of the time when a director obsesses over creating pristine images, they cut slower (Coens, Villeneuve, Mendes, pretty much the whole Deakins family). Fincher is the opposite, which makes him a little odd and puzzling.


Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:30 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2156
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
The Social Network is excellent and I would not have complained if it had won. It's definitely better than The King's Speech which is such an overrated movie IMO. Didn't care for it. That said, Black Swan was my favorite movie of 2010. Loved it.


Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 185
Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
The Social Network is still potentially my favorite movie to have come out since 2010. I should pull it out again soon.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr