Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2013 
Second Unit Director

Post The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2013
I'm going to step on Petey's toes a bit and get this thread started. This is the place to toss out suggestions and pimp the films/performances/achievements you want honored. I'll get the ball rolling...

Short Term 12: Best Picture, Best Actress (Brie Larson), Best Supporting Actor (John Gallagher Jr.), Best Director & Original Screenplay (Destin Cretton). The best thing I can say about this film is that it's not what you might think it is. People start pimping a lived-in, handheld-camera indie film and most of us find that our teeth start itching and the film slides down and down on our list -- we have some desire to watch it, but never follow through. Don't let that happen. This is a legitimately great film, remarkably perceptive and incredibly well acted. It's accessible, pacy in its own way and never dull. It's heart-warming at times, but it earns that emotion. One of the great films of the year.

The Place Beyond the Pines: Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, Cinematography. I can't overstate how much I loved this, flaws and all. It’s the sort of ambitious, massively-themed work that isn’t made very often anymore, in Hollywood or anywhere else. The balance of making a film with enormous themes, necessary coincidences and believable characters is one almost never struck. Derek Cianfrance, along with his crew and actors, finds that balance here, and rides it to soaring heights. I realize some had major issues with it, but I hope it doesn't get overlooked.

Best Supporting Actor:

Jake Gyllenhaal, Prisoners. Another film that will earn tons of nods from me, but Jakey G holds the whole thing together. He's the emotional center of the whole story and the only one who acts out of righteousness and selflessness all the way through. His name is kinda unfortunate, but otherwise it's perfect, one of my favorite film characters in years. I wish there was more of him in the film, but that speaks to the high craft of it in the way it leaves us wanting more.

Best Actor:

Joaquin Phoenix, Her. I hope this doesn't require pimping 'round these parts (I'd say he and Leo are rightful shoe-ins here who might both get snubbed by the Oscars), but just in case... watch this film, and remember why Joaquin might be our greatest actor. This is the Jonze's most accessible work, but not in any kind of bad way, and Phoenix's total sincerity and lack of winking carry the film to it's very high highs. Might be my favorite of the year and will earn my nomination in virtually every category, but I still feel the need to be sure we don't forget about this performance.

Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis. The least flashy of the roles possible for and Oscar nod, but I think it's a remarkable performance. Nuanced, understated, but always believable. The way he's able to relay the internal struggle of Llewyn telling himself he's an artist but struggling with how to live that way sincerely is outstanding.

I'll stop there for now... what are your thoughts? What shouldn't get missed?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2013
Shade2 wrote:
Short Term 12: Best Actress (Brie Larson), Best Supporting Actor (John Gallagher Jr.)

Best Actor:
Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis. The least flashy of the roles possible for and Oscar nod, but I think it's a remarkable performance. Nuanced, understated, but always believable. The way he's able to relay the internal struggle of Llewyn telling himself he's an artist but struggling with how to live that way sincerely is outstanding.

I'm still working on my nominations and on my list of nominees I want to highlight here. But for now, I whole-heartedly second these choices.

I thought Short Term 12 was good, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I thought the plot lost its way a bit toward the end. But the performances were pretty much all great. Especially the two you've listed. I figured I was going to be the only one to nominate John Gallagher Jr., so I'm delighted to see someone else highlight him for consideration.

Oscar Isaac gave by far my favorite performance of the year so far. I have a lot left to see, but it's going to be hard for anyone to top this one in my mind.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 pm
Director

Shade2 wrote:
The Place Beyond the Pines: Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, Cinematography.

In general I agree with all your suggestions, but especially this. I recognize it has some serious flaws, but like you, I still love its ambition and execution.

As for me, hmm, some nominations that might be overlooked (unlike things like Before Midnight which I hope is a given), and hasn't been mentioned yet:

Spring Breakers and Stoker: Best Director, Best Editing, Best Cinematography, and Best Supporting Actor (for James Franco). Two movies with some expertly done nightmarish vibes, and the technical elements above are all huge contributions.

Stories We Tell: Best Documentary. I know The Act of Killing is big (and deservedly so), but this shouldn't also be overlooked; my favorite doc this year.

The Past
: Best Foreign Language Film and Best Screenplay. A given coming from A Separation guy, but still want to stress it.

The World's End: Best Actor. It might not be at the top of my nominations, but for me the dramatic backbone that Simon Pegg's performance provides, with all the manic energy and desperate pathos, makes this my favorite of the Cornetto trilogy.

Camille Claudel 1915: Best Actress (Juliette Binoche). The movie is good not great (albeit nicely challenging), but even though I have been mightily impressed by Exarchopoulos and Blanchett, this is still my favorite female performance this year. Remarkable how a seemingly still face is able to convey so many inner emotional conflicts by just her stares alone.

ok, I'll stop there for now too...

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:05 pm
Director

Disconnect-- Best Ensemble. Come on, man. This movie was tailor-made for this category. Three story threads, all with roughly equal screen time. Great, heartfelt performances all around from Jason Bateman, Andrea Riseborough, Alexander Sarsggard, Paul Patton, Frank Grillo, and others. No one has enough screen time to be considered a true lead, so that's why this goes here. If an approach like this can help Crash win an Oscar, why can't this superior movie win a Reelviews award?

Prisoners-- Best Actor (Hugh Jackman). As great as he was in Les Mis, he's even better here with this role and all the moral ambiguity that goes with it.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hall of Fame: Miyazaki, in honor of his retirement.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 am
Auteur

Best Picture: Definitely Fruitvale Station without a doubt, a compelling crime-drama biopic with an amazing performance by Michael B Jordan, the film says a lot about racism without getting too preachy. Usually I have problems with biopics that change a lot about real life people, in this case the changes didn't bother me too much as it still didn't do anything to dilute the overall message of the film. Another great thing about the film is the pace, it tells a great narrative in 90 minutes instead of the ridiculously bloated 2 and a half hour plus running time that so many Oscar nominated films have(it seems like it's almost a requirement for a Academy nominated film to be really damn long).

Best actor: Michael B Jordan, he plays a character with shades of grey who while not the nicest individual, did not deserve to be profiled the way he was. Jordan makes Grant into a compelling character who you above all want to succeed in turning his life around, making his eventual fate all the more heartbreaking.

Best foreign film: Drug War by a landslide, I can't think of a single bad Johnnie To film and this easily stands as one of his best yet. It has great action scenes and an equally compelling story to go along with it.

Best actress: Selena Gomez in Spring Breakers, much like Anne Hathaway did in Brokeback Mountain, Selena has made a seamless transition from Disney into more mature fare. As Faith, she embodies a character who's been a "good girl" for so long that she can't help but be curious about the glamarous "crime life" and struggles with that inner conflict in a way that makes you root for her in spite of her actions.

Best supporting actor: I second James Franco, he plays one of the fascinating criminals i've ever seen in a film, his character could've been a bad cliche in the wrong hands, but Franco makes Alien into someone you can't help but admire somewhat.

Best director: Paul Greengrass -I've been critical of both of his Bourne films, but he improved significantly with Green Zone, and with Captain Phllips he ratches up the tension tenfold and the camera never gets in the way of the story-telling

Best supporting actress: Octavia Spencer, she was the best thing about The Help(mediocre as it was) and she really knocks it out of the park in Fruitvale Station.

Last edited by Vexer on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 am
Producer

Rooney Mara for best actress. It's a tricky part and she pulls it off brilliantly.

James Wan for best director for The Conjuring. He does such a great job of generating and sustaining a real sense of dread and menace. Plus, this is a rare horror movie where the jump or "boo" scares work really well for the most part. Excellent performances all around too especially the wonderful Vera Farmiga who deserves best actress consideration.

I know a lot of people hate The Host, but I really thought Saoirse Ronan gave a very impressive performance in a role that is actually quite challenging for any actress to pull off. And boy does she pull it off gracefully. Having to play two completely different people using the same body. She's terrific in the movie and deserves a best actress consideration.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer, those were some pretty good selections. Props to you.

Everyone else has good suggestions, too! I particularly like Josh's suggestion of Miyazaki for the Hall of Fame. I'll post some of my pimpings in the next day or two.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 am
Assistant Director

I would like to see Europa Report nominated for Best Picture and maybe Direction. Imo it was a better sci-fi offering than the frankly overrated Gravity (which will likely win this given the enthusiasm I see for it on this board). Other than the that, The Past for foreign language film is the best thing I've seen so far, but still have Drug Wars to see.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:49 am
Producer

Here's my first bit of advocacy for this year's contest.

Well, I've already advocated for the cinematography of 12 Years A Slave and the visual effects of The Wolf Of Wall Street elsewhere, but this is my first bit of advocacy in the advocacy thread.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 pm
Director

Best Director: I just want to throw two names into the mix.

Walter Hill: He didn't make the year's absolute best movie by any stretch, by I found the directorial energy he brought to Bullet to the Head to be one of the most invigorating things in 2013 film. The cinematography and editing are astonishingly sharp and vivid, making Bullet slicker and punchier than any other action flick of the year. Hill uses everything at his disposal: flashy cuts, visceral, traumatic action, outdoing all his previous work in the genre. Terrific use of music and sound. From a technical perspective, it feels like the work of a veteran who has practiced his craft for decades. He also gets the best performance I've ever seen Stallone give, ditto to Jason Momoa.

Wayne Kramer: It takes a brave director to make a film that is 100% certain to flop, but Kramer put his heart into it. The script for Pawn Shop had a 90% chance to never see the light of day. Without the expectation of wealth and acclaim, Walker and Kramer just wanted to get it out there. And that's flying in the face of the knowledge that basically no one will even see the movie and critics will trash and ignore it. And that most other directors will automatically be wealthy and critically successful. Kramer deserves respect for fearlessness.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:21 am
Director

I have been saying MU is my favorite animation this year and forgot that I already had one in my top 10. If home video counts for the Pedros ...

Best Animated Feature: Batman, The Dark Knight Returns Part 2. The source GN is already great, and the animation doesn't lack one bit in bringing it to screen.

Also some more..

Best Visual Effects: Ender's Game. The movie has not been well received in all areas (even though I loved it), but I think the special effects in this are spectacularly effective. Also, Oblivion.

Best Ensemble Cast: American Hustle (I've been hesitant in considering individual acting awards for this, because like most Russell's films, it's more effective as being an ensemble), Drinking Buddies, This is the End.

Best Use of Music: Her (the music and "The Moon Song" still stuck with me), About Time (the "How Long Will I Love You?" montage is vintage Curtis), American Hustle.

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (The Hunt) and Toni Servillo (The Great Beauty).

Best Supporting Actress: Oprah Winfrey. I'm not a fan of The Butler, but really liked Winfrey's performance in it.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:49 am
Second Unit Director

Here are some films I liked that you fine folks should consider.

No: Best Foreign Language Film, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Director (Pablo Larrain), Best Cinematography, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Picture
~Nominated for the Oscar equivalent last year, this Chilean gem is an amusing yet thoughtful look at how advertising defeated Pinochet's referendum to stay in power. It was shot on the Ikegami HL-79EAL, a camera from the 80s, to give it a more authentic feel. It accomplishes its visual style better than something like, say, The Artist. Top all that off with high quality performances and its messages about the media which ring true today and you have a pretty darn good film. ReelViewers, I implore you: check this one out. It's worth the effort to obtain.

Berberian Sound Studio: Best Sound, Best Use of Music, Best Editing, Best Cinematography
~This is a film about a sound engineer who travels to Italy to work on a giallo film. On story alone, I can think of few other films that came out last year that would be as worthy of the Best Sound Pedro. It executes its plot in an interesting manner, showing some of the behind-the-scenes work it takes to make a giallo film sound the way it does. Although it's worthy of the other categories I listed, I'd be extremely disappointed if Berberian Sound Studio didn't score with sound.

This is the End: Best Visual Effects, Best Ensemble Cast
~I'm not sure it has better visual effects than the likes of Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim or The Hobbit, but it far and exceeds the visual effects expectations for a comedy and does so humorously in the process. I'm definitely voting for this one, albeit at number four or five. I'll second peng's pimping of its ensemble.

Saving Mr. Banks: Best Actress (Emma Thompson)
~I'll be very disappointed if ReelViews gives her the shaft, too. She was excellent in this role.

That's all I have for now.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 pm
Second Unit Director

I saw The Spectacular Now a couple of days ago and have it down for Best Film, Best Actor (Miles Teller), and Best Actress (Shailene Woodley).

peng wrote:
Best Ensemble Cast: American Hustle (I've been hesitant in considering individual acting awards for this, because like most Russell's films, it's more effective as being an ensemble), This is the End.

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (The Hunt) and Toni Servillo (The Great Beauty).

Also piggybacking on these suggestions.

I can see Ken's already advertising heavily for the HOF. There's only one fucking award I am going to be advertising heavily for:

Best Actress: Adele Exarchopoulos (Anybody know how to pronounce that last name?)

Reelviewers, If this doesn't happen, I will lose faith in all of humanity. You don't want that, do you?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Walter Hill: He didn't make the year's absolute best movie by any stretch, by I found the directorial energy he brought to Bullet to the Head to be one of the most invigorating things in 2013 film. The cinematography and editing are astonishingly sharp and vivid, making Bullet slicker and punchier than any other action flick of the year. Hill uses everything at his disposal: flashy cuts, visceral, traumatic action, outdoing all his previous work in the genre. Terrific use of music and sound. From a technical perspective, it feels like the work of a veteran who has practiced his craft for decades. He also gets the best performance I've ever seen Stallone give, ditto to Jason Momoa.

AHAHAHAHAHAH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck. You just cost me $1500 because I just spit my drink everywhere and ruined my macbook pro. It was worth it though.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

AHAHAHAHAHAH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck. You just cost me $1500 because I just spit my drink everywhere and ruined my macbook pro. It was worth it though.

I fail to see the humor, Hill is a pretty good director.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I fail to see the humor, Hill is a pretty good director.

Just got my new macbook pro...the new ssd hard drive is fast as fuck!!! Ya, when I need good laugh I watch 48 Hrs or Brewster's Millions. I've actually developed a perfect strategy to win the 300 million in a couple of days.

What really got me though is

:From a technical perspective, it feels like the work of a veteran who has practiced his craft for decades. He also gets the best performance I've ever seen Stallone give, ditto to Jason Momoa.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does he read what he writes? Hell I might have to put Bullet to the Head up there with the Godfather now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 pm
Producer

You clearly don't agree with him. Just state that. No need to be condescending about. It makes YOU look bad.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm
Director

Quote:
What really got me though is

:From a technical perspective, it feels like the work of a veteran who has practiced his craft for decades. He also gets the best performance I've ever seen Stallone give, ditto to Jason Momoa.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does he read what he writes? Hell I might have to put Bullet to the Head up there with the Godfather now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you even read what I wrote carefully enough to know what I said. But I posted that knowing full well that I would get a comment like yours, it was only a matter of time.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 am
Producer

Reelviews tech suggestion: replace the laughing smiley with Justin Bieber's mugshot. Come on. It would be funny.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next