Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:14 am

RIDE ALONG 
Site Admin

Post RIDE ALONG
Click here for the review of Ride Along

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: RIDE ALONG
Quote:
Director Story, whose dubious resume includes two bad Fantastic Four movies..

To be fair, he also did Barbershop, which I loved and found hilarious. 8-)

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm
Director

I was thinking you were having too good of a Januray, JB :) (which really messes up my predictions btw).

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 pm
Auteur

I personally liked both of the Fantastic Four films. Anyways this looks pretty funny, i'll be sure to check this out after seeing Jack Ryan.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm
Director

The typical January minstrel show. Does anyone not realize how stereotypical and flat out offensive these films are?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The typical January minstrel show. Does anyone not realize how stereotypical and flat out offensive these films are?

I really don't see how these films are "offensive" or a "ministrel show" in any way :?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 pm
Director

Do some reading on black stereotypes, Vex, then get back to me on this one.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Do some reading on black stereotypes, Vex, then get back to me on this one.

Oh i've read about stereotypes but I still don't really see how this film is offensive.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:14 am
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Offensive to whom? The black actors and creators that make movies like this don't think they are offensive. Tyler Perry doesn't think his 5 dogshits a year are offensive, and I guess his audience doesn't either or he wouldn't be worth $350 million.

The only thing I find offensive is how absolutely terrible and unfunny they are.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:20 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Offensive to whom? The black actors and creators that make movies like this don't think they are offensive. Tyler Perry doesn't think his 5 dogshits a year are offensive, and I guess his audience doesn't either or he wouldn't be worth $350 million.

The only thing I find offensive is how absolutely terrible and unfunny they are.

Well some people in the blakc community do find Perry's films offensive, Spike Lee certainly hates him with a passion. I personally love black comedies, I just find them hysterical for some reason, and Kevin Hart is one of my favorite comedians, so he's reason enough for me to see the film.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm
Second Unit Director

"Director Story, whose dubious resume includes two bad Fantastic Four movies,....."

He may have directed "Barbershop", but he also directed that Jimmy Fallon movie "Taxi".......

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 pm
Auteur

ck100 wrote:
"Director Story, whose dubious resume includes two bad Fantastic Four movies,....."

He may have directed "Barbershop", but he also directed that Jimmy Fallon movie "Taxi".......

I liked Taxi as well, so that's not a bad thing.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I liked Taxi as well, so that's not a bad thing.

Well not for you at least. But for everyone else....... :P

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:29 pm
Auteur

Just got back and really enjoyed this film, it was absolutely hilarious, the laughter in the theatre was almost deafening at times. Most of the laughs courtesy of Hart, his manic performance is the glue that holds the film together, Cube is solid as the straight man, together him and Hart have pretty good chemistry, the rest of the cast is competent if unremarkable(save for Laurence Fishburne, who shows up in the third act and impresses despite his limited screentime). The plot is nothing special, if you watched a lot of buddy cop films, you can guess the twists well-ahead of time, but the film is entertaining enough that it's forgiveable.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'll be sure to skip it then.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:15 am
Producer

It looks okay. The kind of movie you watch, you enjoy and forget about by the time you get to the parking lot. I like Kevin Hart. I like Ice Cube. It looks fun but disposable.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:54 am
Second Unit Director

AJR wrote:
I'll be sure to skip it then.

Bahahah. I'd rather be stuck in the basement with the gimp from Pulp Fiction than pay to watch this at the theater.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15 am
Director

I read a review of this that noted the irony of Ice Cube going from being a badass gangsta rapper to playing a brutal cop, much like the cops the characters he portrayed on his NWA and early solo albums would have gunned down with no thought at all.

From "Fuck The Police" to "I AM the police". Then again, another rapper turned actor named Ice went from shooting at cops to playing one in a movie and a TV show.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I read a review of this that noted the irony of Ice Cube going from being a badass gangsta rapper to playing a brutal cop, much like the cops the characters he portrayed on his NWA and early solo albums would have gunned down with no thought at all.

From "Fuck The Police" to "I AM the police". Then again, another rapper turned actor named Ice went from shooting at cops to playing one in a movie and a TV show.

Ice T also first played a cop in New Jack City, at first he wasn't sure if the role was right for him because of his lyrical subject matter, so he told some of his friends who encouraged to take the role, and that's presumably what led to him taking the role in SVU as well.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Ice T also first played a cop in New Jack City, at first he wasn't sure if the role was right for him because of his lyrical subject matter, so he told some of his friends who encouraged to take the role, and that's presumably what led to him taking the role in SVU as well.

Vexer is correct.

All that being said, has Ice T ever actually shot at police in real life, rather than merely rapped about it in his records and music videos? Same question about Ice Cube.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm