Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 45  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
http://www.punchdrunkcritics.com/2014/01/star-wars-episode-vii-details-emerge.html

This makes me extremely giddy. Hugo Weaving and Adam Driver would be great to have on board, but the real kicker is Fassbender. He's my favorite actor working today, and if he says yes to a role in Episode VII, I'll sleep much better at night.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
What about the idea of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing Lex Luther?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/01/ ... ie-in-2014

That sounds awesome!

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 pm
Producer

nitrium wrote:
What about the idea of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing Lex Luther?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/01/ ... ie-in-2014

Sounds as tall as a Texas toadstool to me, but I can actually see it happening if he's the insecure version of Luthor who physically trains to stack his appearance up to that of his famous enemy's.

I figure Telly Savalas is made for the role, but we're about 40 years late on that score.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 am
Second Unit Director

Tarantino's next film has a title! It's called The Hateful Eight, and there are rumors swirling that it could star Bruce Dern. I'm absolutely intrigued.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Here's a more or less comprehensive rundown of the Star Wars rumors currently bouncing around like so many laser blasts inside a garbage compactor.

I think my favorite so far is the notion of Obi-Wan Kenobi's long-lost daughter, mainly because of the way it would slightly reframe our perception of Kenobi. (Hardly for the first time... "From a certain point of view", and all that.) Jedi are encouraged to love, indeed.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 pm
Director

Michael Douglas to play Hank Pym in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm
Director

Also, Richard Linklater's 12-year project Boyhood is premiering at Sundance this month, so that means it will finally come out this year. From someone who's seen it: "Don't want to say too much about BOYHOOD yet, but the way Linklater handles the passage of time is Pialat-level astonishing." Don't know what that means, but sounds promising.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:15 pm
Director

peng wrote:
"Don't want to say too much about BOYHOOD yet, but the way Linklater handles the passage of time is Pialat-level astonishing." Don't know what that means, but sounds promising.

"Pialat's work is marked by the use of long takes, which often feed from sudden peaks of dramatic intensity in character interaction." According to wikipedia.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:06 am
Producer

Someone made a map of the U.S., with the name of each state replaced by the name of the highest-rated movie on IMDB that takes place in that state.

Takeaway: they really, really need to make more movies that take place in Rhode Island.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Director

Bonus Takeaway: Finally! Someone who doesn't list PINK FLAMINGOS for Maryland! I swear every single one of these maps makes that choice.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:54 pm
Director

First pic from french Beauty and the Beast by director Chrisophe Gans (of Brotherhood of the Wolf and Silent Hill), with Léa Seydoux as Belle:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:33 pm
Director

That "THUD" emoticon pretty much says more than I could ever say about that pic :)

Also, this. Perfect timing too since January is a well-documented slow month.

http://www.slashfilm.com/gravity-returning-to-theaters-this-weekend/

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:41 pm
Director

In addition to Stephen Lang, Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana have both signed on to reprise their roles in all three sequels of Avatar as well. Impressive considering one of them is dead in the first one, but I guess being a sci-fi franchise has its virtues as you can get unimaginative and just clone anyone from the last movie.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
In addition to Stephen Lang, Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana have both signed on to reprise their roles in all three sequels of Avatar as well. Impressive considering one of them is dead in the first one, but I guess being a sci-fi franchise has its virtues as you can get unimaginative and just clone anyone from the last movie.

Jesus Christ. What the fuck happened to James Cameron? I can put up with Titanic, but goddamnit, 3 more Avatars? Stop making that shit and get back to your forte. Make fucking Battle Angel already.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
peng wrote:

Jesus Christ. What the fuck happened to James Cameron? I can put up with Titanic, but goddamnit, 3 more Avatars? Stop making that shit and get back to your forte. Make fucking Battle Angel already.

I hate Titanic with a passion, Avatar is at least tolerable by comparison, but three sequels seems WAY too excessive. It sounds like Cameron is getting greedy and cares more about money then quality.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Director

Eh, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I still enjoy the hell out of Avatar in the same way I enjoy Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. With several sequels, there might be an opportunity for a really dark chapter in there somewhere a la Empire Strikes Back or The Dark Knight. That would be pretty cool.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 pm
Producer

3 more Avatars could end the industry ... or the Universe for that matter

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I hate Titanic with a passion, Avatar is at least tolerable by comparison, but three sequels seems WAY too excessive. It sounds like Cameron is getting greedy and cares more about money then quality.

I don't know why he would care about money any more. He is worth an estimated $650 million, with only Spielberg and Lucas worth more, and they are both billionaires. Maybe he wants billionaire status too.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 pm
Producer

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's making more Avatars because Avatar is a perfect cross-section of where his interests are at this stage in his career. If he wanted to make another Terminator 2 or True Lies, he'd be doing it and they'd probably be making him just as much money.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 pm
Producer

Teen comedy features no nudity, violence, or f-words, but does involve gay kissing and allusions to sex. Gets rated R.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 45  Next