BEST SHORT FILM - ANIMATED
Feral
Get a Horse!
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
Room on the Broom

BEST SHORT FILM - LIVE ACTION
Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)
Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)
Helium
Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)
The Voorman Problem

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
Thanks for waiting while I made it pretty.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 am
Second Unit Director

How is Before Midnight in Adapted Screenplay? I am confused. Did I miss something?

Didn't realize American Hustle and Dallas Buyer's Club had so much momentum in the acting categories. Guess JamesB was wrong about Academy politics dictating a nomination for Redford. Both Actress categories look very weak this year. Also didn't realize Barkhad Abdi had so much going for him.

As expected, Gravity is going to take home the award for Best Cinematography. Tut-tut!

Although I would really, really like The Hunt to win Best Foreign Film, not only because it deserves it, but also because it is without a doubt one of the best film of the year, I have a sneaky feeling that it is Italy's year this time around. Thoughts Pedro?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Before Midnight is an adapted screenplay because it's a sequel.

Disappointed about the Tom Hanks and Paul Greengrass snub.

12 Years a Slave was edited. Could have fooled me. I'm not saying it's not a good movie. Just a really loooooooong one. Or it felt long. Felt like I was watching the movie in real time.

So let me get this straight. Pixar wins last year for their worst effort and it was up against some really good animated films (Wreck it Ralph should have won!!!) but gets snubbed this year? Sometimes the Academy make no sense.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am
Director

I never thought I would ever be able to use the phrase "The Academy Award-nominated Jackass."

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Before Midnight is an adapted screenplay because it's a sequel.
Didn't realize this was a criteria. I am confused by this because the actual screenplay of the film is still original, but I guess that's just me.

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Pixar wins last year for their worst effort and it was up against some really good animated films (Wreck it Ralph should have won!!!) but gets snubbed this year? Sometimes the Academy make no sense.

I agree. The snub for Monsters University which may not be Pixar's best but was still a return to form is really surprising, especially considering some of the other nominees. Guess it is Disney's year. Is Frozen pretty much a lock at this point?

Although I haven't seen some of the other nominees, it would've been really surprising if Hanks had gotten in. I thought it was a very good, not Oscar-worthy, performance for most of the film, but Hanks killed it in those final sequences. That elevated the performance into the great category.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
How is Before Midnight in Adapted Screenplay? I am confused. Did I miss something?

Didn't realize American Hustle and Dallas Buyer's Club had so much momentum in the acting categories. Guess JamesB was wrong about Academy politics dictating a nomination for Redford. Both Actress categories look very weak this year. Also didn't realize Barkhad Abdi had so much going for him.

As expected, Gravity is going to take home the award for Best Cinematography. Tut-tut!

Although I would really, really like The Hunt to win Best Foreign Film, not only because it deserves it, but also because it is without a doubt one of the best film of the year, I have a sneaky feeling that it is Italy's year this time around. Thoughts Pedro?

Yeah, the smart money's on The Great Beauty. In past years, when there's no obvious contender, it's best to go with the super emotional one (e.g. In a Better World, Departures, The Secret in Their Eyes). However, there was rule change this year that makes it so that if you're a voter, you don't have to prove you've seen every nominee. This is likely what gave The Lives of Others the edge over Pan's Labyrinth and No Man's Land the edge over Amelie. If that rule change had not taken place, I'd bet heavily on The Broken Circle Breakdown.

What on earth is Alone Yet Not Alone?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 am
Producer

Pedro wrote:

LOL! That's what I thought when they announced best original song category.

Then again, the Taylor Swift song that was nominated for the golden globe, I had never heard of that movie either.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Pedro wrote:

LOL! That's what I thought when they announced best original song category.

Then again, the Taylor Swift song that was nominated for the golden globe, I had never heard of that movie either.

"Based on a true story, this family-oriented drama records a German-American clan's struggle to survive in the midst of the French and Indian War. After being captured by hostile forces, the two daughters escape into a vast wooded wilderness."

I don't....

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 am
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
12 Years a Slave was edited. Could have fooled me. I'm not saying it's not a good movie. Just a really loooooooong one. Or it felt long. Felt like I was watching the movie in real time.

Ehhh, editing isn't necessarily just the length and pacing of a movie. That's part of it, sure, but editing is more about how specific shots within a scene are placed next to one another. It's essentially how the film is cut. Nothing is shot on film anymore, which means there is no physical cutting, but the same concept applies.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:00 am
Critic

ROBERT REDFORD AND TOM HANKS GET THE SHAFT?

Regardless of what you think of their performances, that is staggering on its face. I guess the Academy doesn't worship movie stars as much as we think they do

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Regardless of what you think of their performances, that is staggering on its face. I guess the Academy doesn't worship movie stars as much as we think they do

I'm pretty surprised about Tom Hanks. Paul Greengrass also got the shaft, in favor of Alexander Payne/Martin Scorsese.

Arcade Fire are Oscar nominees, as is Karen O. That's kind of cool.

Alone Yet Not Alone is also an Oscar nominee. That's almost certainly not cool.

Pacific Rim got shut out of the technical categories.

I had in the back of my head that The Great Beauty would get noticed for Best Costume Design. I was right about a foreign film, but wrong about which one. The Grandmasters is a two-time Oscar nominee, and not in Best Foreign Language Film!

Speaking of which, I can't believe the Cambodian film got nominated. I think that's two executive committee choices getting nominated, if you believe Omar is one of them. (The other is probably The Grandmasters.)

I probably liked Inside Llewyn Davis more than most people on the board, but it only getting noticed for cinematography and sound mixing is kind of sad.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

I think Hanks not getting a nomination is a bigger surprise the more I think about it. Captain Phillips is one of the bigger players at the Oscars this year, yet it curiously didn't get nominations for it's 2 most notable creators (Hanks and Greengrass). That can't bode well for it's chances anywhere else, right?

As for Redford, All is Lost ended up being such a small film (1 nomination...in sound editing), that there probably just wasn't a lot of clout behind it. I think we all just assumed they would give Redford a nomination to honor his career (he's only been nominated one other time as an actor, right?), but they did that with Dern in a movie that had a larger profile by a director the Academy loves. I guess they didn't want to do 2 "lifetime achievement" nominations in the same year. I'm surprised, but not shocked I guess is my point.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 am
Director

Although it's expected, not seeing Before Midnight at the top still saddens me a little (should have swap Dallas for that). Same goes for Stories We Tell's absence in Documentary, although I hope that means The Act of Killing is a lock now.

That said, they are very, very ok with Best Director this year.

Despicable Me 2 over MU :!: (well at least Ernest & Celestine and The Wind Rises get in, unlike Golden Globe).

All in all, for me this year is overflowing enough with quality that the nominations are pretty alright, save for a few hiccups here and there. Namely, that the voters seemed to love American Hustle and Dallas Buyers Club more than I thought. No Tom Hanks is also puzzling; it's been a good year for him.

EDIT: Oh, and Llewyn Davis didn't even get Original Song?? Now that's pretty erroneous.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am
Director

A few thoughts:

Nothing for FRUITVALE STATION, eh? Not surprised. This marks the third year in a row my #1 movie (following SHAME in 2011 and LOOPER in 2012) garners zero noms. Politics, politics, politics.

Nothing for Daniel Bruhl in RUSH ? Grrrrrrrrr.....

Finally, let it be known that if AMERICAN HUSTLE picks up a huge momentum and wins Best Picture, it will be the worst winner of my lifetime. That includes SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and Llewyn Davis didn't even get Original Song?? Now that's pretty erroneous.

None of the songs in Inside Llewyn Davis were considered original in the eyes of the Academy. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The humorous novelty song "Please Mr. Kennedy", a plea from a reluctant astronaut, appears to be a fourth generation derivative of the 1960 song "Mr. Custer", also known as "Please Mr. Custer", about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, sung by Larry Verne and written by Al DeLory, Fred Darian, and Joseph Van Winkle. A Tamla-Motown single followed in 1961: "Please Mr. Kennedy (I Don't Want to Go)", a plea from a reluctant Vietnam War draftee, sung by Mickey Woods and credited to Berry Gordy, Loucye Wakefield and Ronald Wakefield. In 1962 using a similar theme, The Goldcoast Singers recorded "Please Mr. Kennedy" on its Here They Are album, with writing credits to Ed Rush and George Cromarty. The Llewyn Davis version credits Rush, Cromarty, Burnett, Timberlake, and the Coens.

Stupid. I like our category better.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am
Director

Pedro wrote:
BEST PICTURE
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street

Seen 7 of those 9. No nomination for Fruitvale Station. Figures. Less surprised at the lack of love for The Place Beyond The Pines and Mud seeing as those were released earlier in the year. Prisoners getting overlooked is also less surprising due to its dark subject matter and the lack of box office success.

Won't surprise me if 12 Years A Slave wins. Wolf Of Wall Street has potential. But the controversy could easily lead to a backlash. Captain Phillips is a good not great movie and part of me suspects if it does win it might likely be regarded as one of the more overrated winners. It's very good no question and Hanks performance was definitely deserving of recognition. But to me it just misses greatness. Gravity deserves the nomination. But sci-fi typically does not do well at the awards. Although the fact that it's a survival story set in outer space could play in its favor. Her looks to be one of those dark horse movies that pulls off the upset. American Hustle is definitely deserving of the nomination. But it and The Wolf Of Wall Street being real life based crime pictures might lead one to cancel the other out.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 am
Second Unit Director

Was Adele not eligible or was she simply overlooked?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Biggest snub of the day: 12 Years A Slave misses out on a cinematography nomination

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The sad thing is that there's always so much politics with these. You'd think everyone on the AMPAS board would just keep up with the releases and watch all the movies just like critics do, mark down anything that leaps out at them as award worthy (from acting, directing, cinematography, set design, etc), then everyone just makes their own informed decision.

But that would be utopia, I guess. Still, that's what I'd do if I had the power to help decide the biggest award in the movies.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm