Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of
That Foreign Correspondent cover got my dick hard.

Blonde Almond - what did you pick up at the latest sale? Just City Lights for me.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
That Foreign Correspondent cover got my dick hard.

Blonde Almond - what did you pick up at the latest sale? Just City Lights for me.

I went overboard, although I had a feeling I was going to and so I held on to the graduation money I was sent from relatives a few months back. Add in the several coupons B&N sends out and I couldn't resist the temptation to spend. I picked up City Lights and Tokyo Story, along with the Cassavetes set, the Pierre Etaix set (probably the best discovery for me), and a few of the more interesting Eclipse sets (Postwar Kurosawa, Late Ozu, Early Fassbinder). I also caved in and reserved a copy of the big Zatoichi collection, which I'll pick up tomorrow.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
I went overboard, although I had a feeling I was going to and so I held on to the graduation money I was sent from relatives a few months back. Add in the several coupons B&N sends out and I couldn't resist the temptation to spend. I picked up City Lights and Tokyo Story, along with the Cassavetes set, the Pierre Etaix set (probably the best discovery for me), and a few of the more interesting Eclipse sets (Postwar Kurosawa, Late Ozu, Early Fassbinder). I also caved in and reserved a copy of the big Zatoichi collection, which I'll pick up tomorrow.

Goodness, that's a hell of a haul. That Zatoichi collection is enormous! Exciting! I know literally nothing about Pierre Etaix. Criterion is always good for making you feel like you know zilch about film.

My girlfriend and I were in B&N yesterday killing time before a movie, and I picked up the Cassavetes box set and said, "I'd love to buy this, but even at half off, I can't justify it so close to the holidays." That's me planting the seeds for a Christmas gift. We'll see if it works.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm going a little off topic here, but what did you guys ( Blonde and Peachy) think of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie? I myself wasn't really a fan ( watched the longer version btw). Am I missing something? Should I give Cassavetes other work a try? Am I asking too many questions? :)

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:30 pm
Cinematographer

JackBurns wrote:
I'm going a little off topic here, but what did you guys ( Blonde and Peachy) think of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie? I myself wasn't really a fan ( watched the longer version btw). Am I missing something? Should I give Cassavetes other work a try? Am I asking too many questions? :)

Sorry, I can't help you as I haven't seen it. I've only seen Shadows and Faces both of which I really enjoyed. I hear A Woman Under the Influence is pretty much the definitive Cassavetes film, so maybe start there if you want to get into his other work? Part of the reason I want the box set is to get more into his stuff.

Blonde will probably be a bigger help than me. I'm sure he's seen more.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:37 pm
Cinematographer

JackBurns wrote:

PeachyPete wrote:
Sorry, I can't help you as I haven't seen it. I've only seen Shadows and Faces both of which I really enjoyed. I hear A Woman Under the Influence is pretty much the definitive Cassavetes film, so maybe start there if you want to get into his other work? Part of the reason I want the box set is to get more into his stuff.

Blonde will probably be a bigger help than me. I'm sure he's seen more.

Sorry, I can't help much either. The only Cassavetes film I've seen so far is Shadows. I figured the Criterion set would serve as a nice introduction to his work, and I'm planning to go through it in order, so I'll watch Faces and A Woman Under The Influence before I get to The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie.

Shadows, for what it's worth, is probably most valuable for its place in the history of American independent cinema. I wouldn't call it a great film by any means, but it is interesting to see something that is such a stark contrast to just about everything else made in the U.S. during that time period.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

If I stumble into a little extra rainy day money, I'll be tempted to buy the Tokyo Story bluray. Still need Seven Samurai and Sansho as well. How is Life of Oharu compared to Sansho and Ugetsu? Never managed to get my hands on it as of yet.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm
Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
Sorry, I can't help much either. The only Cassavetes film I've seen so far is Shadows. I figured the Criterion set would serve as a nice introduction to his work, and I'm planning to go through it in order, so I'll watch Faces and A Woman Under The Influence before I get to The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie.

Shadows, for what it's worth, is probably most valuable for its place in the history of American independent cinema. I wouldn't call it a great film by any means, but it is interesting to see something that is such a stark contrast to just about everything else made in the U.S. during that time period.

I've seen all of Cassavetes' films except for "A Child Is Waiting" and "Love Streams." Apart from Ingmar Bergman, I don't think anyone else does heavy, gut-wrenching drama better than he does. "Shadows" is the easiest place to start. Then proceed to "Faces" and then "A Woman Under the Influence." I don't consider "Chinese Bookie" among his absolute best (I think both "Opening Night" and "Minnie and Moskowitz" are better), but it definitely grows on you after a while.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am
Cinematographer

March releases:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Another great month. George Washington and The Hidden Fortress are Bluray upgrades from previous DVD editions, with the latter getting some much-needed extra supplements. But it's Persona that looks to be the best release (love that cover).

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JackBurns wrote:

I have seen it, and as I recall I enjoyed it (it's been a while though). However, my favorite Cassavetes film is Shadows.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JackBurns wrote:

I have seen it, and as I recall I enjoyed it (it's been a while though). However, my favorite Cassavetes film is Shadows.

I wanted to *like* it, but those damn club scenes where the girls are dancing and Mr. Sophistication is singing just go on and on and on---after a while it becomes slightly unbearable, and I think those scenes really taint the film to a certain degree. Cassavetes is very vested in realism, I understand that, but the pace here makes a snail's looks breakneck and it infuses the narrative with a grand amount of sluggishness. The "shorter" version apparently is void of these problems, so perhaps it is a better film (but I can't say I'll be checking it out any time soon). Still, theres a substantial amount of merit to be found--kind of difficult to deny-- but I just can't say that I was won over by this particular film.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:24 am
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Another great month. George Washington and The Hidden Fortress are Bluray upgrades from previous DVD editions, with the latter getting some much-needed extra supplements. But it's Persona that looks to be the best release (love that cover).

Interesting that for the second month in a row they're releasing a movie that's currently in theaters. They also did something similar with Frances Ha earlier this year (and have been doing it to a lesser extent for a few years). I haven't seen any of those movies, but I'm not sure I like this new trend. I'm not necessarily opposed to them releasing newer movies, but doesn't at least a little bit of time need to go by before something is deemed "essential"? I look to Criterion to guide me towards stuff I need to see, and I'm not sure something currently in theaters qualifies. Maybe I'm just romanticizing the Criterion brand name, but announcing a current release that's still playing in theaters feels more like a movie being released on home video than a Criterion release, you know?

And yes, The Hidden Fortress desperately needed an upgrade. I believe I mentioned it way back at the beginning of this thread as one of the worst in the collection.

I also need to educate myself with all things Harold Lloyd.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Interesting that for the second month in a row they're releasing a movie that's currently in theaters. They also did something similar with Frances Ha earlier this year (and have been doing it to a lesser extent for a few years). I haven't seen any of those movies, but I'm not sure I like this new trend. I'm not necessarily opposed to them releasing newer movies, but doesn't at least a little bit of time need to go by before something is deemed "essential"? I look to Criterion to guide me towards stuff I need to see, and I'm not sure something currently in theaters qualifies. Maybe I'm just romanticizing the Criterion brand name, but announcing a current release that's still playing in theaters feels more like a movie being released on home video than a Criterion release, you know?

Without looking anything up, I think Criterion has some sort of deal with IFC to put out many of their biggest releases. I agree that the newer releases aren't exactly the ones I anticipate the most from Criterion (there's definitely something less exciting about them), but as long as they don't impact the rest of their lineup, I'm okay with it.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Director

April releases:

Image Image

Image Image

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 pm
Cinematographer

Breaking the Waves is a nice choice for the Criterion Collection. When I saw it in 2012, the quality wasn't very good. I'll appreciate a Blu ray.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 pm
Cinematographer

Not as exciting as the first three months, but they're all intriguing titles, and they all have a good deal of extras. I haven't seen any of them, and other than Breaking The Waves I know very little about them.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Not as exciting as the first three months, but they're all intriguing titles, and they all have a good deal of extras. I haven't seen any of them, and other than Breaking The Waves I know very little about them.

I'll do you one better - I've never even heard of any of these movie outside of Breaking the Waves. They all sound interesting, though.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
If I stumble into a little extra rainy day money, I'll be tempted to buy the Tokyo Story bluray. Still need Seven Samurai and Sansho as well. How is Life of Oharu compared to Sansho and Ugetsu? Never managed to get my hands on it as of yet.

Not as good as those two, but few films are. Life of Oharu is another period piece, but concentrates on its female protagonist. It's one of Mizoguchi's 'Fallen Women' films, in this case a woman who's used for her womb and discarded.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 am
Assistant Director

Hulu, I say. Origins of the thread be damned, I say Hulu. I subscribed early last year and have been a steady consumer of the Criterion available, saving an amount of money that illustrated just how ridiculous things had gotten when it came to purchasing DVDs. The leap of faith required to throw down for Zatoichi surely makes Blonde Almond something of a daredevil.

The best Criterion (and film) I saw last year, again: via Hulu, was easily Ali: Fear Eats The Soul, something everyone should see. Gate of Flesh, the cuckoo Suzuki film, was a lot of exploitative fun while Gate of Hell wasn't very good at all.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
Hulu, I say. Origins of the thread be damned, I say Hulu. I subscribed early last year and have been a steady consumer of the Criterion available, saving an amount of money that illustrated just how ridiculous things had gotten when it came to purchasing DVDs. The leap of faith required to throw down for Zatoichi surely makes Blonde Almond something of a daredevil.

To be fair, I didn't pay full-price for the Zatoichi set. Between B&N's 50% off and various coupons I was able to whittle down that set to a much more reasonable price.

Once I work my way through all the unwatched DVDs on my shelves, I'll be signing up for Hulu. I tried a one-month free trial last year and was impressed with what they had available (including plenty of stuff without any sort of official physical release).

Mark III wrote:
Gate of Hell wasn't very good at all.

I watched this about a year ago and I'll be damned if I can remember anything about it. The color photography was nice, I think.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next