January 12, 2014: "The Ignored and Forgotten" 
Site Admin

Post January 12, 2014: "The Ignored and Forgotten"
Click here to read topic.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: January 12, 2014: "The Ignored and Forgotten"
Excellent writeup James; so glad you decided to do it this way. I was just curious as to how you feel about McConaughey and his likely nomination for Dallas Buyers Clubs. Do you feel he's deserving or not? I still need to watch the film but, for my part, I feel as though he's grown so much as an actor over the past few years that he deserves to be acknowledged if only for that reason alone.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The Lead categories for both sexes are ridiculously crowded this year. I too thought Michael B. Jordan would get a nod for sure after I saw Fruitvale Station, but then along comes a rush of great lead performances in longer movies.

My Best Supporting Actor choice this year would be Daniel Bruhl in Rush. That guy was magnetic; as something of a perfectionist myself, I could relate to Nikki Lauda big-time, even though he's a bit of an asshole at times. Bruhl had the same effect on me as Cate Blanchett did in Blue Jasmine in that instead of hating the character, I was fascinated and wanted to know more about what makes them tick.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:34 pm
Producer

I don't see Delpy or Larson or Woodley getting nominated, so prepare to be disappointed.

Best Actress will likely go to Bullock, Blanchett, Dench, Streep and Thompson.

Best Actor will likely go to Redford, Dern, McConaughey, Ejiofor and Hanks.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:24 pm
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:
I don't see Delpy or Larson or Woodley getting nominated, so prepare to be disappointed.

I agree that's probably how it will go down. For the most part, I'm okay with those nominations with one exception: Streep. This is far from her best work. It's a perfectly serviceable performance. Solid. Effective. But there's nothing special about it. She's getting nominated because she's Streep. And that unnecessary nomination comes at the expense of several better performances that will get shoved into the "overlooked" category.

Also, whatever category they're putting Streep into, Roberts should end up there as well. I wasn't using a stopwatch, but I'd say their screen time in AUGUST is about the same and, the way the story develops, it's clearly more about Roberts' character than Streeps'. One could even make a compelling argument that Roberts is the lead and Streep is supporting; it's more difficult to postulate the other way around. So a Streep nomination will really stick in my craw and will warrant an outraged tweet or two or three on Thursday.

The other nomination that's going to piss me off is Jennifer Lawrence.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

James Berardinelli wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I agree that's probably how it will go down. For the most part, I'm okay with those nominations with one exception: Streep. This is far from her best work. It's a perfectly serviceable performance. Solid. Effective. But there's nothing special about it. She's getting nominated because she's Streep. And that unnecessary nomination comes at the expense of several better performances that will get shoved into the "overlooked" category.

Also, whatever category they're putting Streep into, Roberts should end up there as well. I wasn't using a stopwatch, but I'd say their screen time in AUGUST is about the same and, the way the story develops, it's clearly more about Roberts' character than Streeps'. One could even make a compelling argument that Roberts is the lead and Streep is supporting; it's more difficult to postulate the other way around. So a Streep nomination will really stick in my craw and will warrant an outraged tweet or two or three on Thursday.

The other nomination that's going to piss me off is Jennifer Lawrence.

What's wrong with Lawrence?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 pm
Director

I'm already pissed off right now. She just won Supporting Actress for AMERICAN HUSTLE at the Globes over Lupita Nyong'o for 12 YEARS A SLAVE. What a joke. And not even a funny joke. Say what you will about each movie as a whole, but Nyong'o was far more convincing (not to mention brave).

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 pm
Director

I really, really love Lawrence in general, and she does a very good job with her role in American Hustle. But in a crowded acting field this year, she just does not stand out, at least for me. Lupita Nyong'o should be a shoo-in. Heck, even accounting for a similar kind of role, Sally Hawkins is better.

EDIT: yeah, just saw that she won that. She is going to get some serious (but understandable) backlash.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 pm
Director

I think Streep will be knocked out by Amy Adams or Emma Thompson. I also think DiCaprio's going to get a lead actor nomination, but I'm not sure which of the five will get left off, except Ejiafor's a lock.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
I really, really love Lawrence in general, and she does a very good job with her role in American Hustle. But in a crowded acting field this year, she just does not stand out, at least for me. Lupita Nyong'o should be a shoo-in. Heck, even accounting for a similar kind of role, Sally Hawkins is better.

EDIT: yeah, just saw that she won that. She is going to get some serious (but understandable) backlash.

People should save their backlash for the academy and not her.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am
Director

The single worst Oscar win of my lifetime was Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) over either Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls) or Djimon Honsou (Blood Diamond). I might have to rethink that if Lawrence goes on to win the Oscar this year.

As far as backlash is concerned, it'll all be reserved for the Academy, no doubt. I'll always like her as an actress no matter what happens.

Last edited by KWRoss on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am
Producer

Syd Henderson wrote:
I think Streep will be knocked out by Amy Adams or Emma Thompson. I also think DiCaprio's going to get a lead actor nomination, but I'm not sure which of the five will get left off, except Ejiafor's a lock.

Adams is definitely a possibility and nothing would thrill me more for her to replace Streep as I completely agree with James' about Streep's performance. But the Academy loves Streep too much for her to be the one to be replaced. I think Dench is more likely the one to be snubbed for her although I hope I'm wrong.

And if Dicaprio gets in, I hope it's at Redford's expense since I wasn't really that impressed with his performance.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
And if Dicaprio gets in, I hope it's at Redford's expense since I wasn't really that impressed with his performance.

All is Lost is an excellent movie and Redford pulls off the whole film alone with barely any dialogue. Plus check out what he went through to get the part right for someone in his 70's.

Quote:
Hollywood veteran Robert Redford went partially deaf while filming new stranded-at-sea movie All Is Lost after taking a battering from a giant water hose onset.

The Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid star, who plays a man stranded on a yacht in the middle of the Indian Ocean, spent hours shooting the film in Mexico in the same giant outdoor water tanks that James Cameron used to make Titanic, and decided to step up and perform a number of his own stunts, despite having a double available to stand in for him onset.

Redford, 77, tells the New York Times, "We get down there and, of course, my ego kicks in. I started saying, 'I think I can try that. Let me see what I can do.' And I realised that my doing that stuff was really a big part of the character, and that it would be much better for the film if he (director J.C. Chandor) didn't have to cut and slice."

However, one sequence involved Redford getting sprayed with a huge water hose time and time again - and the soaking was enough to give him an infection, which cost him 60 per cent of his hearing in his left ear.

He tells the New York Times, "They beat the hell out of me."

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:09 am
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:

Academy politics virtually demand that Redford gets a nomination. The most vulnerable to a DiCaprio addition would likely be Hanks or Dern. There's also a reasonable argument to be made that DiCaprio won't get a nomination. Winning the Golden Globes doesn't really mean shit when it comes to being nominated for an Oscar.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Academy politics virtually demand that Redford gets a nomination. The most vulnerable to a DiCaprio addition would likely be Hanks or Dern.

I've been to a few guild screenings this year(and am friends with someone who's been to many more)
Redford hasn't campaigned at all(While Bruce Dern is everywhere! and is very charming with Q&A's, chatting with people as the leave they theater - the Oscars are more like running for office than the fans realize) he's way more vulnerable than Dern or Hanks. Would no be surprised at all to see him left out, Roadside didn't have the $$ to really mount a suitable campaign.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm
Producer

Yeah, I had heard from goldderby that he hasn't campaigned. Tom O'Neil doesn't think he has a chance of winning anymore, although he still has him getting nominated.

I just finished my own predictions and I'm predicting that Leo gets left out and Redford just makes it in. But remember, Redford was snubbed by SAG in favor of Forest Whitaker. So yeah, Redford is most definitely not a shoo in. I personally think there are 4 locks. McConaughey, who I think will win, Hanks, Dern and Ejiofor are the 4 locks. And then there a few possibilities for the 5th slot. Redford, Whitaker, Christian Bale and Leo. I don't think it'll be Whitaker. I don't see The Butler doing well. I even have Oprah out, although she could very well be in. But I'm predicting her to be snubbed. Bale could make it in if they REALLY LOVE American Hustle. And it could be Leo, especially if The Wolf of Wall Street does exceptionally well. But I think it'll get a few nominations, but I don't even have Scorsese in for best director. So I went the safe route and predicted Redford. But again, Leo getting in his place, or even Bale, wouldn't surprise me at all.

While I played it safe for best actor, I most certainly did not for best actress and best supporting actress. I'm actually predicting Adele Exarchopoulos making it for best actress and Lea Seydoux making it for best supporting actress. I'm definitely not playing it safe in those categories. I also have Blue is the Warmest Color making it in the best adapted screenplay category. Perhaps my most out there prediction, one that I'm probably going to get wrong but what the hell, is Will Forte for best supporting actor. I just think Nebraska is going to do really well, and he'll end up benefiting from that.

I do have Meryl Streep making it but not Julia Roberts. I just think the Academy loves her too much for her not to make it. But I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
While I played it safe for best actor, I most certainly did not for best actress and best supporting actress. I'm actually predicting Adele Exarchopoulos making it for best actress and Lea Seydoux making it for best supporting actress. I'm definitely not playing it safe in those categories. I also have Blue is the Warmest Color making it in the best adapted screenplay category. Perhaps my most out there prediction, one that I'm probably going to get wrong but what the hell, is Will Forte for best supporting actor. I just think Nebraska is going to do really well, and he'll end up benefiting from that.

Good call on Nebraska you just missed the supporting actor with June Squibb instead of Forte. The Academy doesn't seem to like Blue is the Warmest Color anywhere but personally I would have replaced the overrated Meryl Streep with Exarchopoulos who had a much harder part to play.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:09 pm