Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Director

Post Re: Game of Thrones
First Season 4 Trailer

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm
Cinematographer

Good, no hint in this trailer about a certain event that I'm sure many fans of the show will enjoy seeing.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:42 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Anyone here playing Game of Thrones Ascent?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am
Director

Here's what Game Of Thrones would look like if it were set in ancient Japan

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 pm
Assistant Director

Game of Thrones Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing (15 minute sneak peak/interviews for Season 4).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ
"Who else has dragons, really?"

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Game of Thrones Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing (15 minute sneak peak/interviews for Season 4).

The first thought I had after watching this clip was: "It's not going to be fun waiting for Winds of Winter.".

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 am
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:

The first thought I had after watching this clip was: "It's not going to be fun waiting for Winds of Winter.".

Can you elaborate? Expecting a lot of filler this season?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Can you elaborate? Expecting a lot of filler this season?

I can't give details without spoiling book or TV series. Just, watching the clip brought to mind for me the various story arcs that are currently in play in the novels, which in turn makes me wish that WoW were out already.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Just finished watching the third season recently. Timothy Van Patten get's things off with a bang in the first two episodes of the first season, (this guy is the most talented television director on the planet from my seat - check out his resume http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0887700/) but the pacing seems a bit off in the first two seasons. The swordplay in the first season especially, is really slow, very amateurish. The production appears to not have the budget necessary to make it into the grand spectacle it should be.

That’s the only negatives really. Every season has enough twists and turns to continually keep you guessing which is really rewarding. The dialogue is priceless at times, and it’s great to watch genuine R rated entertainment.

Peter Dinklage (The Imp) and "The Hound" whose real name I can't be bothered looking up are my two secondary favorite characters out of which is an incredible cast. The casting seems impeccable to me, the sheer volume of it is so ambitious, but I haven't read the books. Kharleesi however, is the fucking show! She's the most exciting, original television character since Omar in The Wire and and strangely enough, they share about the same amount of screen time. Less maybe more and all that shit, but I'd love to see her character dominate season four, can't wait for those dragon's to really fire up.

This is a pretty cool thread by the way, and gave me a much better understanding of the finer points of the show I didn’t pick up on after viewing once. Episodes 8, 9 & 10 of season 3 were amazing, like the budget had caught up to the excellent writing.

While reading this thread I couldn't quite get a firm handle on whether you'd read the books Ragnarok73? Kidding obviously, your passion for the books and television series shine's through which is pretty cool. It’s nice reading from someone who loves the material so much.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 pm
Cinematographer

wisey wrote:
While reading this thread I couldn't quite get a firm handle on whether you'd read the books Ragnarok73? Kidding obviously, your passion for the books and television series shine's through which is pretty cool. It’s nice reading from someone who loves the material so much.

To clarify: I am a reader fan of the show, in that I loved the books well before the show was created. Thus, I know all major plot points in advance of their depictions in the show (e.g.: The Red Wedding) and can spot when someone's post in this thread is treading the line of revealing too much to non-reader fans of the show.

I am awaiting the next book in the series (The Winds of Winter) with anticipation, but I know that Mr. Martin is going to be taking his sweet time finishing it.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:58 am
Cinematographer

So, I saw the first episode of Season 4 tonight, Two Swords, which is a reference to:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The melting down of the Stark Valyrian steel greatsword Ice by Tywin Lannister to forge the two swords, one of which he gave to Jaime and the other of which he gave to Joffrey as a wedding gift. The episode opened with the process of melting down the sword while Tywin watched after which he burned the wolfskin sheath for Ice in a symbolic gesture to indicate House Lannister's apparent victory over House Stark in the War of Five Kings. They had him flashing the douchebag grin while watching the swords being made, likely so as to make his death later in the season all the more enjoyable.

The episode was a fine start to the season as it continued the storylines from the previous season as part of being the depiction of the third book of the series (A Storm of Swords). The performances remained good, and the writing continued to do well with adapting the plot of the novels to the small screen. Some more specific thoughts on the episode:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Prince Oberyn Martell was introduced nicely to the series in a fairly efficient manner which conveyed key aspects of his character: his skill as a warrior, his sexuality, and his burning desire for revenge on House Lannister for the death of his sister Elia at the hands of Ser Gregor Clegane.
- It was a bit awkward seeing the scene with Jaime and Brienne speaking whilst watching Sansa in the godswood, considering that in the books they didn't reach King's Landing until *after* the Purple Wedding and Sansa's disappearance from the city. I'm guessing that this means that Jaime will be sending Brienne on a quest to find Arya instead of Sansa later in the season.
- Sansa got a necklace instead of a hairnet, which tied in nicely with the scene where Lady Olenna was looking over necklaces for Margaery to wear at the wedding. This was a great way to foreshadow the role that Olenna would be playing in the Purple Wedding.
- Jaime will be getting more scenes this season which highlight the change in his character from the book from being a cynical douchebag into a more honorable person with a moral code. I think that Mr.Coster-Landau will do a fine job of portraying this change as the season progresses.
- The final scene of the episode was a nice one with Arya being the little miss badass and killing Polliver. In the book, this scene didn't take place until near the end, as it happened before Arya took ship to Braavos in order to begin her training as one of the Faceless Men. I'm curious as to how Sandor will end up being wounded to the point where Arya decides to ditch him.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:01 am
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Sansa got a necklace instead of a hairnet, which tied in nicely with the scene where Lady Olenna was looking over necklaces for Margaery to wear at the wedding. This was a great way to foreshadow the role that Olenna would be playing in the Purple Wedding.

I think I forgot about this from the books, but what role did she play again?

Good set-up episode, checking in with everyone. However, from the non-spoiler advance reviews (but which conclusion can be drawn from) I have read, things are going to happen crazy fast, faster than I expected, starting with the next episode. Can't wait; it's going to be bombshell after bombshell.

EDIT: Oops sorry. When I quote you I left out part of the bracket. Fixed.

Last edited by peng on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think I forgot about this from the books, but what role did she play again?

Don't forget to keep the spoiler box on if quoting something that was put there originally- we don't want to give away too much to those who haven't read the books.

To answer your question:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- In the book, Olenna fiddled with the hairnet that Sansa received from Dontos Hollard and pulled out the poisoned gem that she then dropped into the large chalice that Joffrey drank from at his wedding feast. Thus, she was the one who killed him. She did this as part of a plan with Littlefinger.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 pm
Assistant Director

I thought it a solid episode - basically doing the rounds on all the threads (glad I watched The Politics of Power recap or I would have been fairly lost). Are we in Book 3 still or Book 4? How much of Book 4 is likely to be covered this season? Also I gather Book 4 is pretty average (or is that Book 5?), so how can their be multiple bombshells?

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 pm
Director

We are currently in the second half of Book 3, the best stretch of the series. So I'm hoping this will translate into the best season so far as well.

The problem of Book 4 and 5 are that they cover roughly the same time period, but just splitting half the characters, and all the interesting characters are mostly in Book 5. I read them together in a linear way so I think they come off better for me than those who waited for those two books years apart and got disappointed. Still, even though the story in the two books is still good, there is a sense that the decision to split viewpoints like that dilute and stretch the events and their impacts, resulting in a weaker read.

So when the next season starts, it's gonna be both Book 4 and 5, and that's where the showrunners will really get the chance to show their adaptation skill.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:47 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
We are currently in the second half of Book 3, the best stretch of the series. So I'm hoping this will translate into the best season so far as well.

The problem of Book 4 and 5 are that they cover roughly the same time period, but just splitting half the characters, and all the interesting characters are mostly in Book 5. I read them together in a linear way so I think they come off better for me than those who waited for those two books years apart and got disappointed. Still, even though the story in the two books is still good, there is a sense that the decision to split viewpoints like that dilute and stretch the events and their impacts, resulting in a weaker read.

So when the next season starts, it's gonna be both Book 4 and 5, and that's where the showrunners will really get the chance to show their adaptation skill.

Since books 4 and 5 were originally supposed to be one book, I'm guessing that the producers will decide to cover it as such, so that no one is stinted. That way, Arya will get the same amount of time in both seasons as Yara Greyjoy (Asha Greyjoy) and Theon and Cersei. I think that would be the best move.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 am
Cinematographer

I just finished watching the second episode, The Lion and The Rose, tonight. Some more detailed thoughts:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- I get that they were trying to humanize Joffrey in his moment of death, but I enjoyed watching it nearly as much as I enjoyed reading the scene in A Storm of Swords. Jack Gleeson really captured the essence of the character, which will make The Purple Wedding very enjoyable for those who were traumatized by the Red Wedding from last season.
- Watch for when Olenna fiddles with Sansa's necklace (the one she got from Dontos Hollard), and you will spot when she pulls the poison out of it. Then watch the moment when Olenna looked directly at Tyrion before he picked up the goblet to hand to Joffrey, as that is right after she put the poison in. They did it quite subtly, so it may not be apparent at first to non-reader viewers- well played by the writers and producers.
- I came up with the theory in season 2 that Shae was going to be killed by Lord Tywin as a way to show provide Tyrion with a more palpable motivation for killing him later. The book didn't do this mainly because it was able to convey how degraded Tyrion was by the time he discovered Shae in his father's bed near the end of ASoS. Given that the TV series has to be shorter in its adaptation by necessity, it makes sense to me that Tywin's killing of Shae provides that final spark to Tyrion to turn on his family for good. I could be wrong, though.
- The writers of the show have really started to blend books 4 and 5 (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) into the current stage of the series, as the scenes with Jaime's training with his left hand and Lord Roose Bolton with Theon (Reek) and Ramsay are showing. They are really trying to build up Theon as a tragic character, so I can see why they're starting up with his character again much sooner than he was brought back into focus in the books.
- In case viewers of the show didn't get the hints from last season, Cersei outs Brienne as being attracted to her brother Jaime. However, I always saw it as more of a mutual respect relationship in the books rather than romantic attraction.
- I wanted more Arya. :(

All in all, it was another fine episode that may catch many non-reader viewers by surprise with the events near its end, albeit in a more enjoyable manner.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I just finished watching the second episode, The Lion and The Rose, tonight. Some more detailed thoughts:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- I get that they were trying to humanize Joffrey in his moment of death, but I enjoyed watching it nearly as much as I enjoyed reading the scene in A Storm of Swords. Jack Gleeson really captured the essence of the character, which will make The Purple Wedding very enjoyable for those who were traumatized by the Red Wedding from last season.
- Watch for when Olenna fiddles with Sansa's necklace (the one she got from Dontos Hollard), and you will spot when she pulls the poison out of it. Then watch the moment when Olenna looked directly at Tyrion before he picked up the goblet to hand to Joffrey, as that is right after she put the poison in. They did it quite subtly, so it may not be apparent at first to non-reader viewers- well played by the writers and producers.
- I came up with the theory in season 2 that Shae was going to be killed by Lord Tywin as a way to show provide Tyrion with a more palpable motivation for killing him later. The book didn't do this mainly because it was able to convey how degraded Tyrion was by the time he discovered Shae in his father's bed near the end of ASoS. Given that the TV series has to be shorter in its adaptation by necessity, it makes sense to me that Tywin's killing of Shae provides that final spark to Tyrion to turn on his family for good. I could be wrong, though.
- The writers of the show have really started to blend books 4 and 5 (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) into the current stage of the series, as the scenes with Jaime's training with his left hand and Lord Roose Bolton with Theon (Reek) and Ramsay are showing. They are really trying to build up Theon as a tragic character, so I can see why they're starting up with his character again much sooner than he was brought back into focus in the books.
- In case viewers of the show didn't get the hints from last season, Cersei outs Brienne as being attracted to her brother Jaime. However, I always saw it as more of a mutual respect relationship in the books rather than romantic attraction.
- I wanted more Arya. :(

All in all, it was another fine episode that may catch many non-reader viewers by surprise with the events near its end, albeit in a more enjoyable manner.

That last 20 minutes of the wedding was really fucking intense, incredible television really. I've never read the books but it was obvious something heavy was about to happen. The tension was subtle yet palpable.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think I changed my mind about who was going to die about twenty times in the last ten minutes. I thought an all out war might have been on the cards too. It was a toss of the coin between Joffrey and Tyrion dying and because of what happened before it, in the sense that the person your rooting for seems to die, I thought Tyrion (Peter Dinklage, The Imp, The Demon Monkey) was probably a goner. Pleasantly surprised to be wrong again.

I'm not sure what if feels like in your neck of the woods around the globe, but I can never recall a television series taking the world by storm quite like this? It's fucking huge in Australia; everybody is talking about it on the radio, in my workplace, in pubs, at whorehouses and churches. There's fucking billboards everywhere around Melbourne with just the picture of a raven with a third eye and the letter's GOT on it. Like everybody should understand GOT stands for Game of Thrones, you should just fucking know the acronym.

Seinfeld and The Simpsons were huge in the 90's, with the biggest and most loyal fan bases I can recall, but this feels like it's on a different level. The hype around this show is justified too; it's such an exciting escape!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 am
Second Unit Director

I agree. Terrific performance by Jack Gleeson. :) It's my understanding that he's pretty much the NICEST guy in real life. Ha. :lol:

Enlightening interview with George R.R. Martin in EW...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Quote:
In some ways, Joffrey’s death is the toughest death for viewers because he’s such an entertaining character to lose. You really had such fun with that character and Jack Gleeson’s performance is so malevolent. Can you talk about the decision you made to end this character when you did and how you did?
Martin: Oh boy, it was so long ago! Lets see, the book came out in 2000, so I guess I wrote those scenes in like 1998. I knew all along when and how Joffrey was going to die, and on what occasion. I’d been building up to it for three years through the first books. Part of it was that there’s a lot of darkness in the books. I’ve been pretty outspoken in my desire to write a story where decisions have consequences and no one is safe. But I didn’t want it to be unrelentingly bleak—I don’t think everyone would read the books if everything was just darkness and despair and people being horribly tortured and mutilated and dying. Every once in a while you have to give the good guys a victory — where the guys who are perhaps a lighter shade of grey have a victory over the guys who are a darker shade of grey. The Red Wedding and this — fans call this the Purple Wedding — occur in the same book. In the TV show, it’s separate seasons. But Joffrey’s death was in some ways a counterweight for readers to the death of Robb and Catelyn. It shows that yes, nobody is safe—sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys win. Nobody is safe and that we are playing for keeps. I also tried to provide a certain moment of pathos with the death. I mean, Joffrey, as monstrous as he is — and certainly he’s just as monstrous in the books as he is in the TV show, and Jack has brought some incredible acting chops to the role that somehow makes him even more loathsome than he is on the page — but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.
The full interview can be found here http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/13/george-r-r-martin-why-joffrey-killed/

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 pm
Cinematographer

Taleswapper wrote:
I agree. Terrific performance by Jack Gleeson. :) It's my understanding that he's pretty much the NICEST guy in real life. Ha. :lol:

I've seen interviews with Gleeson, and he's done everything in them to reinforce the impression of a person who is light years away from being anything like the loathsome character he portrays on television.

Taleswapper wrote:
Enlightening interview with George R.R. Martin in EW...

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Quote:
In some ways, Joffrey’s death is the toughest death for viewers because he’s such an entertaining character to lose. You really had such fun with that character and Jack Gleeson’s performance is so malevolent. Can you talk about the decision you made to end this character when you did and how you did?
Martin: Oh boy, it was so long ago! Lets see, the book came out in 2000, so I guess I wrote those scenes in like 1998. I knew all along when and how Joffrey was going to die, and on what occasion. I’d been building up to it for three years through the first books. Part of it was that there’s a lot of darkness in the books. I’ve been pretty outspoken in my desire to write a story where decisions have consequences and no one is safe. But I didn’t want it to be unrelentingly bleak—I don’t think everyone would read the books if everything was just darkness and despair and people being horribly tortured and mutilated and dying. Every once in a while you have to give the good guys a victory — where the guys who are perhaps a lighter shade of grey have a victory over the guys who are a darker shade of grey. The Red Wedding and this — fans call this the Purple Wedding — occur in the same book. In the TV show, it’s separate seasons. But Joffrey’s death was in some ways a counterweight for readers to the death of Robb and Catelyn. It shows that yes, nobody is safe—sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys win. Nobody is safe and that we are playing for keeps. I also tried to provide a certain moment of pathos with the death. I mean, Joffrey, as monstrous as he is — and certainly he’s just as monstrous in the books as he is in the TV show, and Jack has brought some incredible acting chops to the role that somehow makes him even more loathsome than he is on the page — but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.
The full interview can be found here http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/13/george-r-r-martin-why-joffrey-killed/

I know what Martin was trying to do in the novel with regards to that scene- his description of what Tyrion was thinking at that moment captured it very well. I have to be honest, though:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
It made me enjoy that particular scene even more, because I knew that the fear was adding to the suffering of Joffrey in his last moments of tortured life. His character had almost no redeeming qualities, and he was celebrating what was supposed to be a great triumph of his House. It didn't help that he was a product of his bitch mother's incompetence as a good parent. Fuck him- if he were a real person, I'd be lining up to piss on his grave.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next