Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 am

A question for men, who is your perfect woman? 
Second Unit Director

Post A question for men, who is your perfect woman?
My parents have been married for over 35 years, and I honestly don't know how they have stayed together so long (I think it was just because of my brother and I). These days they are constantly arguing over almost anything. Since I'm in my mid 20s, several of my friends have started to take the plunge and I go to at least 5 weddings a year. I wonder, did my friends settle or did they find their perfect women?

I've thought long and hard about it, but I really don't see myself getting married, unless I find my perfect woman in the following:

1. Looks: The first thing that attracts any two people of the opposite sex are looks correct? My perfect woman would be at least an 8/10. Blonde or brunette. She would have to be shorter than me (I'm 6' 3" so that one is usually met). Piercing eyes, a great smile (good teeth), and lovely complexion are all in order. She would also like to need to take care of herself: athletic, yoga, palates, etc. Not just for her looks, but also for her health as well. I never really cared about boob size, as I've always been an ass man myself.

2. Personality: Someone easy to talk to, likes to laugh, likes to make a fool of herself, and likes to have a good time. Someone nice, caring, and enjoys people.

The Rest:

I would hope that she comes from a good family and raised right, as that would translate into being a good mom. She has to like drinking (not getting sloppy drunk or anything); but I love a girl who likes beer, wine, bourbon, martinis etc. It just makes certain nights all the better. I hope she likes to try new things and get freaky in the bed. She needs to know how to cook (and I'm not just talking about putting stuff together, but actually cook meals). She has to be a fan of college football...every fall, my life revolves around it. She must like to travel. And oh yea, she must like movies!!

Last but not least, she must be independent and have her own friends. I've seen too many of my friends get married and do nothing with the bros anymore. Their wives won't let them take any trips with the guys. She should like to have girls' nights and let the guy have his.

I've actually found this girl 2 times, but other factors kept it from going. Maybe 3rd time is a charm?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: A question for men, who is your perfect woman?
My perfect woman would be a man. At any rate, personally I don't really go looking for anyone and figure that person will someday step into my life in one way or another. I watch people try to force it while constantly looking for a relationship and it just looks like a hassle with little pay off.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 pm
Auteur

For me it would be a woman who shares similar interests as me(I.E. video games) and is relatively open-mnded and non-judgmental.

My parents have also been married for a long time, and like you i'm mystified as to what they see in each other with all they're fights over really stupid shit, though it's mainly my dad that's the problem, he yells at my mom and calls her names randomly for almost no reason, he can be a real dick at times, and it's times like that that I truly wonder what she ever saw in him. Then again he can also be nice at times, so who knows?

I might get married one day, though it's not a top priority, and if I ever did and the discussion of having kids came up, I wouldn't my wife giving birth as i've heard too many horror stories about childbirth to want to put anyone through that(think that scene in Jersey Girl). I'm probably not fit to take care of a baby anyways. So I would prefer to go the adoption route and adopt an older kid.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:22 pm
Second Unit Director

"Perfect" mates are a myth. You find someone who's flaws you can live with. Mutually embracing those items that make us unique and happy will make for long lasting harmony. I'm flawed and I have lots of habits/quirks that would probably drive many women up a wall, but I've been happily married since '02 to a woman who has been tolerant of my ups and downs and my relentless pursuit of ___________ (insert item here) She knows I am a terrible dabbler and when I was into competitive target shooting, we travelled all over for that. She tolerated my movie top 100's and we watched them together. I am now more into biking and fitness (who knew that trying to be the guy who could stand or sit the most still wasn't good for one's physique?!) and she has embraced that with me as well. I reciprocate and do everything I can to support her passions as well -on occasion to the detriment of my own activities. NO regrets here.

Put simply, marriage isn't for you. It's for your spouse. You find someone you're willing to make happy and you make that your mission. Overlook the flaws and they will do the same for you. That's the closest to perfection you'll ever find.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm
Director

I haven't been in a relationship in a very long time, and a combo of the qualities roast and vex are looking for sounds good (although in my case, I love movies, sports, and video games almost equally, so a match in any of those works for me). One more thing I'll add is that she should be a good conversationalist. I've been with too many shy women over the years who just struggle to open up.

Get ready for this.... my parents got married when they were both 21, on September 11, 1971. Let's just say that 30 years later, they refused to let anything ruin it. They also waited a long time before having me (Nov 7, 1983). This may sound weird, but I've never seen them fight. I'm sure its happened, just never in my presence.

As far as having kids, I'm sorry, but I can't do it. I can't stand crying and/or misbehaving children every time I go to the grocery store or Target. Yeah I know, every one of us was like that once upon a time, but it just irks me. To those who make the whole "settle down and start a family" thing work, that's awesome. More power to you. But it ain't for me.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:11 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
This may sound weird, but I've never seen them fight. I'm sure its happened, just never in my presence.

Holy shit. You lucky dog.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
I haven't been in a relationship in a very long time, and a combo of the qualities roast and vex are looking for sounds good (although in my case, I love movies, sports, and video games almost equally, so a match in any of those works for me). One more thing I'll add is that she should be a good conversationalist. I've been with too many shy women over the years who just struggle to open up.

Get ready for this.... my parents got married when they were both 21, on September 11, 1971. Let's just say that 30 years later, they refused to let anything ruin it. They also waited a long time before having me (Nov 7, 1983). This may sound weird, but I've never seen them fight. I'm sure its happened, just never in my presence.

As far as having kids, I'm sorry, but I can't do it. I can't stand crying and/or misbehaving children every time I go to the grocery store or Target. Yeah I know, every one of us was like that once upon a time, but it just irks me. To those who make the whole "settle down and start a family" thing work, that's awesome. More power to you. But it ain't for me.

Yeah, that's exactly why I would adopt a kid who's 12 or older, that way I wouldn't have to deal with crying or anything like that. But if my spouse didn't want any kids period, I wouldn't try and convince her otherwise, just having each other would be enough.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:06 pm
Second Unit Director

Kids change your life and your outlook. I once told someone who's kid was throwing a screaming tantrum that "A fifty-cent condom would've prevented that". (Before I had kids.)
Now that I have kids I realize they are mine to shape. They're beyond the crying stage, but when they were in that stage we'd excuse ourselves when they began to make disruptive noise. I'd take them somewhere where they wouldn't disturb others.
Seeing what once was a tiny helpless blob grow and learn and talk and play piano and ask to stay and watch the credits and shout "John Lasseter was a producer!!" whne they read it on the scroll is pretty special. Knowing that I and my wife are the ones hwo got them there is even more so. Thinking about where they were a year before their birth and how something so wonderful could come from... From what?
We have talked about adopting a child, but man-oh-man; try hanging out with someone else's 12 year old... Life ain't like Despicable Me where wonderful kids are just waiting for a parent to show up so they can love on them. The humane association would be a better bet.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 am
Cinematographer

Ain't no such thing as perfect from my perspective. I've never lived with anyone that didn't get on my nerves, including my wife. However, just as in life in general, attitude is much more important than circumstances where happiness is concerned. Self determination and commitment are required for a happy marriage and is complicated by the need for both to have these qualities.

I realize that my wife is an exceptionally good person and remind myself of that whenever I get annoyed by something she does. Your partner must have a basic integrity that you respect and trust, and an understanding of anything you can't accept or live with before commitments are made. You can't control other people under happy circumstances, so it's best to choose one that behaves in manners you respect (which is different for everybody).

Last edited by CasualDad on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am
Cinematographer

Looks fade but personality endures. I wouldn't make physical attractiveness my number one criteria. Of course we've all known women who were 8's or 9's, but whose personalities dragged them down to 6's or 7's; and vice versa. I married a woman who is a solid 7 in the looks department but whose personality and compatibility vaulted her up to a 10. As far as being able to have hobbies together and hobbies apart, we both support that; but don't abuse it. If you like to play video games, don't make it a 7 nights a week thing. At this point I would feel weird playing more than 2 nights a week for any extended period of time.

As far as kids go, I can echo Awf_Hand's comments. I have 4 very young kids and we are not afraid to take them out because they know what is expected of them. We often get compliments about how well-behaved they are from strangers. (About 6 months ago, somebody at the next table over even paid for our family's dinner at a local Irish Pub/Restaurant as they were leaving and didn't tell us about it. What the hell is THAT all about?) Oh sure, in the home the crying and the diapers and the occasional fighting takes it's toll, but my wife is a saint and has a much higher tolerance for that than I do.

It is great fun being amazed by your kids every day. Whether it be the first time they can rattle through the alphabet, backwards, or beat you at backgammon, or sit through an entire NFL game and be able to correctly call out "holding!" before the flag flies, etc. etc. etc. You would be amazed the tolerance you have for their bullshit when you raise them from infants.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 am
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
Kids change your life and your outlook. I once told someone who's kid was throwing a screaming tantrum that "A fifty-cent condom would've prevented that". (Before I had kids.)
Now that I have kids I realize they are mine to shape. They're beyond the crying stage, but when they were in that stage we'd excuse ourselves when they began to make disruptive noise. I'd take them somewhere where they wouldn't disturb others.
Seeing what once was a tiny helpless blob grow and learn and talk and play piano and ask to stay and watch the credits and shout "John Lasseter was a producer!!" whne they read it on the scroll is pretty special. Knowing that I and my wife are the ones hwo got them there is even more so. Thinking about where they were a year before their birth and how something so wonderful could come from... From what?
We have talked about adopting a child, but man-oh-man; try hanging out with someone else's 12 year old... Life ain't like Despicable Me where wonderful kids are just waiting for a parent to show up so they can love on them. The humane association would be a better bet.

Well you can't just judge all older kids like that, i've known some that were pretty great. I'm aware that it would be challening, but nevertheless I would want to give a kid another chance at a normal life that he/she didn't have before. I've always liked helping people and giving a kid a new home is IMO a truly amazing thing. I watched a documentary about a gay couple in Florida who adopted several kids that nobody else wanted and gave them an amazing home, and while it was shown to be a challenging process for them, it was still every bit as rewarding as if they'd had their own kids. So it's still something I would very much want to do if the discussion of kids ever came up.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:22 pm
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
Looks fade but personality endures. I wouldn't make physical attractiveness my number one criteria. Of course we've all known women who were 8's or 9's, but whose personalities dragged them down to 6's or 7's; and vice versa. I married a woman who is a solid 7 in the looks department but whose personality and compatibility vaulted her up to a 10. As far as being able to have hobbies together and hobbies apart, we both support that; but don't abuse it. If you like to play video games, don't make it a 7 nights a week thing. At this point I would feel weird playing more than 2 nights a week for any extended period of time.

As far as kids go, I can echo Awf_Hand's comments. I have 4 very young kids and we are not afraid to take them out because they know what is expected of them. We often get compliments about how well-behaved they are from strangers. (About 6 months ago, somebody at the next table over even paid for our family's dinner at a local Irish Pub/Restaurant as they were leaving and didn't tell us about it. What the hell is THAT all about?) Oh sure, in the home the crying and the diapers and the occasional fighting takes it's toll, but my wife is a saint and has a much higher tolerance for that than I do.

It is great fun being amazed by your kids every day. Whether it be the first time they can rattle through the alphabet, backwards, or beat you at backgammon, or sit through an entire NFL game and be able to correctly call out "holding!" before the flag flies, etc. etc. etc. You would be amazed the tolerance you have for their bullshit when you raise them from infants.

Good stuff as always, Jonny.

But I hope to the almighty power in the Universe that your Wife never ever knows you referred to her as a 'solid 7'

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:27 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Good stuff as always, Jonny.

But I hope to the almighty power in the Universe that your Wife never ever knows you referred to her as a 'solid 7'

She's too busy to monitor my internet activity and, by all means, I would never make such a declaration in person. I may be dumb, but I ain't stoopid.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

There is no such thing as the perfect woman. Otherwise we end up marrying ourselves.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Big_Mike wrote:
There is no such thing as the perfect woman. Otherwise we end up marrying ourselves.

Yes there is.

http://totalfratmove.com/i-fell-in-love-with-this-girl-from-the-university-of-georgia-and-so-will-you/

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm
Second Unit Director

Not gonna lie, she is gorgeous.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:58 pm