Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Armond White - Still as classy as ever 
Second Unit Director

Post Armond White - Still as classy as ever
Does he really value celebrity over credibility so much?

Quote:
The 79th annual New York Film Critics Circle Awards turned awkward on Monday night when CityArts editor Armond White started to heckle director Steve McQueen.

McQueen had just accepted his prize for “12 Years a Slave,” presented by Harry Belafonte, when the interruption broke out.

As soon as McQueen took the stage, White started shouting from his table at the back of the room. “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man,” White boomed. “F—you. Kiss my ass.”

McQueen either didn’t hear the comments or pretended not to. He thanked the critics group for honoring him with an award previously given to John Ford and Woody Allen, at which point White hissed “pulease.”

This isn’t the first time White, a controversial critic who often hates the movies everybody else loves and panned “12 Years a Slave,” has thrown a public fit at the annual gala meant to celebrate film.

In 2011, White hosted the ceremony and took verbal jabs at the winning performances from Annette Bening and Michelle Williams. In 2012, he jeered at Robert DeNiro and Viola Davis as they were speaking on-stage.

Other than the interruption, the rest of the ceremony was a breezy, wine-infused affair with most of the winners in attendance at the Edison Ballroom. This wasn’t a coincidence. They were announced beforehand and included Robert Redford for best actor (“All is Lost”), Cate Blanchett for best actress (“Blue Jasmine”), Jared Leto for best supporting actor (“Dallas Buyers Club”), Jennifer Lawrence for best supporting actress (“American Hustle”) and “American Hustle” for best film (accepted by director David O. Russell).

Lawrence, who didn’t make the ceremony, sent her co-star Bradley Cooper on her behalf. He read a note from her that joked, “I’m not receiving this for ‘House at the End of the Street,’ so you guys must have missed that one,” in which she referenced her 2012 teen horror flick.

Leto brought his mom as his date, and he promised that he was going to make her cry. “My mom is a shining example of the possibilities in life,” he said. “She was someone who wasn’t born in luxury, someone who wrestled her own dreams into reality … She made a life for herself and in turn made a life for me.”

Blanchett received the best actress award from her “Blue Jasmine” co-star Sally Hawkins. She thanked her longtime agent Hylda Queally. “She not only has the best eyes in the business, but the legs,” Blanchett quipped. “She’s my leg double.”

Redford told a story about how he made a New York stage appearance many years ago in a play he didn’t name, other than to say the production wasn’t good, despite what the director kept telling the cast. After it opened, he read a review that said “what a sorry excuse for an actor he was.” That line drew a big laugh from the crowd.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:35 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Armond White - Still as classy as ever
It's pretty absurd. Say what you will about his contrarian viewpoints being genuine or not, but this sort of thing is inexcusably childish. I guess it gets his name in the news since people are talking about it today, so mission accomplished from his point of view. It isn't even just that's he's an asshole, it's that a stunt like this, act or not, makes him look pathetic. It's cringeworthy - like watching Rachel Getting Married acted out in real life, right before your eyes.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:05 pm
Auteur

Sometimes I do agree with White's viewpoints, but this was a rather unprofessional thing for him to do.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 pm
Director

I just hope it doesn't get White into too much trouble. I could never be bothered by this sort of thing, though I wonder if his employers feel the same way. He's a valuable asset to film criticism, it'd be a shame for him to lose his job.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:07 pm
Director

Unfortunately, it isn't limited to awards ceremonies. Check out his twitter handle (@3xchair) and you'll find a lovely little tweet back on November 5

"A Black viewer just posted he handed kleenex to the white viewers sobbing at #12YearsASlave LOL!"

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm
Director

Quote:
Regarding what he called "the misreporting and the repetition of lies," Armond White wrote by email this morning: "Shame on the unprofessional bloggers, reporters or whatever they are -- you don't pursue or tell the truth."

Asked whether or not he yelled at "12 Years a Slave" Best Director-winner Steve McQueen, Armond responded: "Wrong question, John. I was not in a position or vicinity to yell at McQueen. It was talk among my tablemates. The Variety and Wire lines are outright misquotes and lies. You might want to ask why the gutter bloggers continue to misquote and distort the event and NYFCC history."

White feels strongly that his comments should have remained contained by colleagues at his table, but clearly others around the room heard and reported them.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... ve-mcqueen

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Regarding what he called "the misreporting and the repetition of lies," Armond White wrote by email this morning: "Shame on the unprofessional bloggers, reporters or whatever they are -- you don't pursue or tell the truth."

Asked whether or not he yelled at "12 Years a Slave" Best Director-winner Steve McQueen, Armond responded: "Wrong question, John. I was not in a position or vicinity to yell at McQueen. It was talk among my tablemates. The Variety and Wire lines are outright misquotes and lies. You might want to ask why the gutter bloggers continue to misquote and distort the event and NYFCC history."

White feels strongly that his comments should have remained contained by colleagues at his table, but clearly others around the room heard and reported them.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... ve-mcqueen

So, not really out of context, just wishing everyone else was out of earshot?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:56 pm
Producer

That's hilarious. "Why wasn't everyone else responsible for the things I said?" Fucking crybaby.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Producer

Attention seeking prick.

Apparently he was trying to kiss Brad Pitt's ass when they both happened to be out back having a smoke one year.

Pitt ignored him outright

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 pm
Director

Now wait a minute. Maybe we should apply the no name-calling rule to people besides forum members, yes? I'm not Armond White of course, but I admire him quite a lot and I definitely think there's a prejudicial correlation between how much you agree with his opinions and how much you may be bothered by his abrasive behavior.

Personally, I read him for his opinions and couldn't care less about his behavior one way or the other.

Last edited by MGamesCook on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:15 pm
Auteur

To be fair some of these rags have been guilty of running stories that are either heavily exaggerated or outright lies, I hope for White's own sake that he's telling the truth.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm
Producer

If he doesn't want to be criticized for the things he says, then perhaps he shouldn't say them, yes?

And perhaps he shouldn't say things that are snide and condescending unless he wants to be criticized in kind, yes?

Perhaps his behavior has no bearing on the worth of his opinions (I think it does; I'd say they have the same underlying impulse), but by the same token, he is a critic and this is not how an evenhanded and thoughtful critic behaves toward a filmmaker. It shouldn't be tolerated.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 pm
Director

Quote:
If he doesn't want to be criticized for the things he says, then perhaps he shouldn't say them, yes?

And perhaps he shouldn't say things that are snide and condescending unless he wants to be criticized in kind, yes?

No and no. I think in both cases people need to have a little more sense of humor and not take things like this so damn seriously. Personally I think a masterpiece consensus over something like Gravity is what "shouldn't be tolerated."

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:35 pm
Second Unit Director

For the record...the article I quoted above was by Ramin Setoodeh at Variety and picked up on Yahoo.
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/12-years-s ... 27860.html

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm
Producer

White wasn't joking, and if he thought he was, the joke element certainly didn't survive the passage from his brain to his mouth.

I will admit, his attempt to blame this on the people sitting around him is pretty funny.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
White wasn't joking, and if he thought he was, the joke element certainly didn't survive the passage from his brain to his mouth.

I will admit, his attempt to blame this on the people sitting around him is pretty funny.

What does "not joking" mean in this context? It's not like he was attempting to physically harm McQueen or anything like that. The slur he made against McQueen wasn't racial. And it's clear that none of us know exactly what happened, including the people who wrote the articles. Any kind of commentary on the incident seems presumptuous. I'm not gonna try and say his negative opinions contain no hate. Every critic has some hate in them. But White's positive reviews come from a genuine, optimistic passion for the movies he thinks are good. And in my opinion, many of those are some goddamn freakin good movies.

White is probably just trying to get some attention here. Whatever. Doesn't bother me, I just chuckle at it.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm
Second Unit Director

I find it a bit funny that he's not happy when people are critical of his performance. :shock: :lol:

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm
Director

I've said it before and I'll say it again. White can voice contrary opinions on every movie released until the end of time and it won't make him any less of a critic (which, obviously he doesn't do 100% of the time, hence Prisoners, The World's End, and American Hustle). But tone and behavior matter a lot; they're immediately obvious and pretty hard to ignore. I think a lot more people would be willing to hear him out if he'd tone down his abrasiveness.

If JB did something like this, I don't think any of us would hesitate to call him out on it.

Personally, I can't wait to read White's "Better Than" list if only for a good laugh. It's like The Onion or ProFootballMock, only real.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm
Director

Quote:
Personally, I can't wait to read White's "Better Than" list if only for a good laugh. It's like The Onion or ProFootballMock, only real.

Except for the people who enjoy watching the movies he likes and don't enjoy watching those he dislikes, it's no joke.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm
Director

wow...

Quote:
The New York Film Critics Circle is reeling today after its annual gala made headlines for a heckling incident between one of its members and “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen.

As first reported by Variety last night, CityArts editor Armond White started to shout a string of nasty comments to McQueen as he was accepting his prize on-stage. “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man,” White yelled. “F—you. Kiss my ass.”

The organization has set an emergency meeting for Monday, Jan. 13 at Lincoln Center to discuss what to do about the situation.

This morning, Variety has learned, chairman Joshua Rothkopf, a senior writer for Time Out New York, sent a mass email to the other members. The subject line was “Ruined.”

“I was looking forward to sending out a post-show email of thanks to everyone who helped make last night so special,” the email said. “Instead, I’m met this morning with links to no less than TEN pieces of reporting from around the world — not about Harry Belafonte’s magnificent speech or the two standing ovations, but about the heckling. I also have a perturbed email from Barry Dale Johnson at Fox Searchlight that will require a response. In short: damage control.”

“It amazes me that we have members who are so self-serving, they would sacrifice the decorum of the group … solely to satisfy their egos,” Rothkopf added. “Never thought I’d write this, but after months of event planning and two years of service as an officer, I’m happy to be done with it.”

A dozen or so other critics started to weigh in, including New York Post’s Lou Lumenick, who asked, “Do we really want to keep fueling the story?”

“You know what, Lou? Coming from you, that’s a fucking laugh,” Rothkopf promptly wrote back to the entire chain. “I have no problem saying this now with the event over, but at this upcoming meeting, we’re also going to discuss YOUR ridiculous confrontation with me at the voting meeting, YOUR flagrant reporting of the vote totals and YOUR expulsion.”

In an apology posted this afternoon by Deadline’s Mike Fleming Jr., Rothkopf is quoted as saying the group is taking “disciplinary action.”

But another source with close ties to the organization questioned if that’s possible, since the Critics Circle’s bylaws don’t include a method for expelling one of its members. In other words, they might have to write a law about heckling and see what happens next year.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 pm