Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Get over any issues with list making and make a 2013 Top 10! 
Producer

Post Re: Get over any issues with list making and make a 2013 Top 10!
The only one I really disliked was Machete Kills (and Tideland, which is 1.0 of 10, as low as I've ever gone). Kick-Ass 2 and Carrie both have Chloe Grace Moritz going for them, and I always like her.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm
Cinematographer

I really wanted to wait until I saw Short Term 12 and The Act of Killing but I guess that defeats the purpose of the thread. I'm thinking one of them will kick out Mud.

10. Mud
9. The Past
8. No
7. Blue is the Warmest Color
6. Nebraska
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Wadjda
3. Her (not sure if A or B, but probably B)
2. The Wolf of Wall Street (A)
1. Before Midnight (A)

Honorable mentions: Berberian Sound Studio, We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks, Blackfish, 12 Years a Slave, and The Great Beauty.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Critic

Pedro wrote:
I really wanted to wait until I saw Short Term 12 and The Act of Killing but I guess that defeats the purpose of the thread. I'm thinking one of them will kick out Mud.

10. Mud
9. The Past
8. No
6. Nebraska
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Wadjda
1. Before Midnight (A)

Honorable mentions: Berberian Sound Studio, We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks, Blackfish, 12 Years a Slave, and The Great Beauty.

Wooooo we have the same top 3, albeit in different places

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm
Producer

Pedro wrote:

10. Mud
9. The Past
8. No
6. Nebraska
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
4. Wadjda
1. Before Midnight (A)

For the record, I've only seen your top 2 (and 12 Years a Slave among the also-rans). I don't think any of the others have made it here at all, though I'm expecting Her and Inside Llewyn Davis sometime this month.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 pm
Second Unit Director

As is typical for me, I have yet to see several films that I want to, so it's very much subject to change, but here goes:

1. Gravity
2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
3. 56 Up
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. The World's End
6. Side Effects
7. Now You See Me
8. Star Trek into Darkness
9. Pain & Gain
10. Elysium

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 am
Cinematographer

Ok, I'll play:

1. Her
2. Before Midnight
3. 12 Years A Slave
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Prisoners
6. The World's End
7. The Place Beyond the Pines
8. Nebraska
9. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
10. All is Lost

Honorable mentions, or movies I also really liked: Mud, Blue Jasmine, Stories We Tell

Being a huge Coen Brothers fan, I'd love to put Inside Llewyn Davis on my list, but I really need to see the movie again. I can't decide if I loved it or hated it (which probably isn't a good thing), and their movies usually take him multiple viewings to truly appreciate. As of now, I'm pretty lukewarm about the movie.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 am
Cinematographer

Really jealous of all of you who've already seen Her....

There are still quite a few films I need to catch up on before I feel comfortable declaring my definitive Top 10 of 2013: Her, Captain Phillips, Short Term 12, A Touch Of Sin, Blue Is The Warmest Color, The Hunt, Stories We Tell, Leviathan, a couple more that aren't coming to mind at the moment. But I do always like to have a year-end list ready to go. So here are my:

Top 10 2013 Films Seen In 2013

1. Upstream Color
2. The Act Of Killing
3. Before Midnight
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. 12 Years A Slave
6. Frozen
7. Prisoners
8. Drug War
9. Mud
10. Ain't Them Bodies Saints

And just for fun, here are the next 15:

11. The World's End
12. Nebraska
13. The Wolf Of Wall Street
14. The Grandmaster
15. From Up On Poppy Hill
16. Blancanieves
17. Berberian Sound Studio
18. Much Ado About Nothing
19. Like Someone In Love
20. Gravity
21. Blue Jasmine
22. The Place Beyond The Pines
23. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
24. Byzantium
25. Antiviral

Last edited by Blonde Almond on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Interesting list. I consider myself lucky to have seen Upstream Color in theaters, but I really couldn't make heads or tails of it. I admire it to a certain degree, but it's *so* abstruse that I can't call it great.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 pm
Director

Here's my list

http://www.listchallenges.com/top-10-films-of-2013

Runners Up: Don Jon, Pain And Gain, Captain Phillips, Out Of The Furnace.

As for some thoughts:

Mud continues McConaughey's winning streak that began with The Lincoln Lawyer. Classic storytelling with its roots in Mark Twain.

12 Years A Slave may have been a tad overpraised. But it's still effective and well-done. Far better than The Butler.

Her re-establishes that Spike Jonze is a cinematic visionary. The premise here could have been used cheaply and resulted in a dumb novelty effort. But Jonze is more ambitious. Joaquin Phoenix gives a great performance in a film that's an effective parable about communication in the era of social networking.

The Place Beyond The Pines was one that would have likely made it into the top 5 in the first half of the year. This doesn't mean that it fell in quality. Just that later ones surpassed it. It was definitely the best of the first 5 months of 2013. Gosling and Cooper are great and the final act ties the two together.

Prisoners is one film that's definitely too dark to appeal to a wide audience. But if you can appreciate compelling storytelling and fantastic filmmaking, it's not one to be missed. Jackman's performance may be the best one he's ever given and Gyllenhaal is also very good.

The composition of the lower 5 was easy. The top 5 is harder. Any of these could have made number one. I only came to the final ranking after much thought.

Before Midnight follows Celine and Jesse to the next stage in a logical and entertaining fashion. When things start to turn dark, it's not for the soap cliches we usually see in movies of this type. But for reasons that are often too true. If the quality remains at this level, this is one series I wouldn't mind seeing go on.

American Hustle combines the more conventional storytelling that David O Russell has utilized in his last two movies with elements of Three Kings (still his best work). The result is what may be the most purely fun movie of the year. But not without some real depth. Stylistically great and some real substance here.

Gravity proves that like Jonze, Alfonso Cuaron is also a visionary director. The basic story is nothing new, a sort of 127 Hours in space. But even if it's not quite the game changer a lot of people seemed to be hailing it as in October of 2013, it's still one of the better ones we've had in a while.

The Wolf Of Wall Street is definitely Scorsese's best film since The Departed. To call it overblown is to miss the point; this was Scorsese's intent. He doesn't expressly condemn Belfort or his actions or take the easy approach of paralleling white collar criminals with the Mafia. He gives us a story of a man who so desperately loves money and all the material possessions it buys that he;s willing to go to any level to get it. And his main regret is that at the end, the party is over.

Fruitvale Station manages to offer social commentary in the context of telling a personal story. In some ways, it may be the best film of its type since Do The Right Thing. First time director Ryan Coogler keeps the story focused on the main character and his immediate circle and neither demonizes nor whitewashes him. But presents him as a person. It manages to make its points without preaching. I'm not sure if its necessarily 100% the best of 2013. But no film hit me harder last year.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 am
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:

Fruitvale Station manages to offer social commentary in the context of telling a personal story. In some ways, it may be the best film of its type since Do The Right Thing. First time director Ryan Coogler keeps the story focused on the main character and his immediate circle and neither demonizes nor whitewashes him. But presents him as a person. It manages to make its points without preaching. I'm not sure if its necessarily 100% the best of 2013. But no film hit me harder last year.

W00t!!! These are pretty much all the same reasons that movie stuck with me. I'll add a few more though just for fun:

1) Knowing the ending ahead of time is an asset. Since we know the ending from the get-go, we're left watching the final day unfold wondering how and why something like this could happen. Even the added scenes that weren't true to the historical record (like Oscar's conversation with the man who eventually hands him his business card) are believable and have a point. When you stereotype or profile someone, you have no idea what turns his life might be taking before you lay eyes on him. Some found this too manipulative; I found it brilliant.

2) Brevity! I pointed this out in the GRAVITY thread. While I don't mind 150+ minute films at all if the scope of the story calls for it, I'm glad there's still room for strong films with running times of 100 min or less.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

W00t!!! These are pretty much all the same reasons that movie stuck with me. I'll add a few more though just for fun:

1) Knowing the ending ahead of time is an asset. Since we know the ending from the get-go, we're left watching the final day unfold wondering how and why something like this could happen. Even the added scenes that weren't true to the historical record (like Oscar's conversation with the man who eventually hands him his business card) are believable and have a point. When you stereotype or profile someone, you have no idea what turns his life might be taking before you lay eyes on him. Some found this too manipulative; I found it brilliant.

2) Brevity! I pointed this out in the GRAVITY thread. While I don't mind 150+ minute films at all if the scope of the story calls for it, I'm glad there's still room for strong films with running times of 100 min or less.

Agreed as well, it's nice to see an Oscar contender that dosen't have a ridiculously bloated running time.

One 150+ minute film I can think of that really didn't call for it is Prisoners, for me the story just didn't warrant such a long running time, the film could've easily still got it's point across if it was half an hour shorter, same with Heat.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:39 pm
Second Unit Director

My list has already undergone a 3 movie change. This January Catch-Up is fun as hell. I'll make a conclusive list at the end of January. Anything I've still missed out on won't count I guess.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 am
Second Unit Director

As of writing, I've seen 37 movies with a 2013 release date. That sounds like a respectable number, but due to later release dates of a lot of movies in Germany and because of the fact that I'll usually have to wait for DVD releases anyway, I'm yet to see many films, which have appeared on other posters' lists.

The Top 10

1. Gravity
2. The Place beyond the Pines
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
4. Side Effects
5. Elysium
6. Byzantium
7. The Wolverine
8. Monsters University
9. The World's End
10. Now You See Me

The top spot is unlikely to change, because I really loved 'Gravity'. 'The Place beyond the Pines' and Hobbit #2 are very good movies and likely to stay on the list even when I will have watched the 15 or so 2013 releases, which I am interested in but haven't seen yet. If 'Elysium' or any of the "merely good" movies further down the list would remain among the top 10 after having seen more 2013 movies, I will consider this a poor movie year, because everything else I watched was only varying degrees of mediocre. Or at least everything else, which wasn't bad enough to sink to the

Bottom 10

10. Night Train to Lisbon
9. Gangster Squad
8. R.I.P.D.
7. Redemption aka Hummingbird
6. A Good Day to Die Hard
5. The Frozen Ground
4. Kick-Ass 2
3. After Earth
2. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
1. G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am
Assistant Director

Finally got over my issues and here is my list of the top 10 films that I saw in the last 12 months

and if somebody wonder, yes I saw "12 years a slave" but it did not make the cut in my top 10

Cheers

Attachments:
Gravity.jpg
Gravity.jpg [ 11.79 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]
American Hustle.jpg
American Hustle.jpg [ 15.6 KiB | Viewed 428 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Director

It's Feb now, so here's my monthly update. Going to update this again late in the month before submitting the Pedros.

And just because it's fun; I'm obsessive that way; and most changes happen below the top ten anyway, I stretch my list to 30.

1. Before Midnight
2. Her
3. Gravity
4. 12 Years a Slave
5. The Wolf of Wall Street
6. The Place Beyond the Pines
7. Prisoners
8. Drug War
9. The Dark Knight Returns
10. Snowpiercer

11. Spring Breakers
12. Stories We Tell
13. Catching Fire
14. The Past
15. The Attack
16. Blue is the Warmest Color
17. The Spectacular Now
18. Frances Ha
19. Beyond the Hills
20. The Act of Killing

21. Short Term 12
22. Rush
23. Sparrows Dance
24. Inside Llewyn Davis
25. Stoker
26. The Conjuring
27. Like Father, Like Son
28. A Field in England
29. The Great Beauty
30. The World's End

I still go back and forth on placements of Snowpiercer and Spring Breakers. I liked them both equally; one has meatier material to chew on, and another is a great sensory experience.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm
Assistant Director

I saw less new movies in 2013 than I have since 1993 or, possibly, before. Out of those released, I saw the following:

The World's End
Prisoners
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Hunt
12 Years A Slave
The Conjuring

and I believe that's it. I'm 83% sure I'll eventually have seen enough (by 2019) to make a top ten list but, for now, I'll tell you that even if I were forced to make a Top 10 for last year, I'd still leave The Conjuring off. Some of the others I'd only grudgingly place toward the bottom, leaving several blank spaces filled for movies that I'm sure would have to be better.

Didn't both with Gravity, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club and so many many many more because, really, I just don't care about seeing them. I've heard some are good and have no doubt that they could be.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
I saw less new movies in 2013 than I have since 1993 or, possibly, before. Out of those released, I saw the following:

The World's End
Prisoners
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Hunt
12 Years A Slave
The Conjuring

and I believe that's it. I'm 83% sure I'll eventually have seen enough (by 2019) to make a top ten list but, for now, I'll tell you that even if I were forced to make a Top 10 for last year, I'd still leave The Conjuring off. Some of the others I'd only grudgingly place toward the bottom, leaving several blank spaces filled for movies that I'm sure would have to be better.

Didn't both with Gravity, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club and so many many many more because, really, I just don't care about seeing them. I've heard some are good and have no doubt that they could be.

That is enough to vote in our Oscars, if you plan on sticking around for them.

It's nice to see you posting again.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Viva La Mark! (winter has come)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 pm
Assistant Director

Pedro wrote:
That is enough to vote in our Oscars, if you plan on sticking around for them.

Yeah, I can do that. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of weeks, try to boost my numbers.

Viva la Coldplay

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:07 pm
Critic

Mark III wrote:

The World's End
Prisoners
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Hunt
12 Years A Slave
The Conjuring

There's my boy! If anyone remembers the scene in Sideways where Jack welcomes Miles back after Miles has sex with Maya, that's how I'm feeling right now.

Who's your daddy? Who is YO Daddy? Let me love you! *rubs cheek against yours*

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:18 pm