Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Best Film You've Seen This Year 
Director

Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Ken wrote:
Don't be an asshole, dude.

Give me a reason not to be then. I'm so tired of this consensus shit. You know how many thousands of places there are on the internet where Bioshock has been praised using exactly the same phrase he did? Ditto to Breaking Bad? So maybe you like those particular properties as much as the consensus dictates you should, but at least come up with a different way of SAYING it. That's all, just a different way of saying it. As opposed to copy/pasting the first praise tagline you find of the thing on Google. I'm sorry, but when someone's just asking (more like begging, pleading) for a retort like the one I gave, I see no reason why I shouldn't bite the bait.

Especially when EVERYONE KNOWS that there's been backlashes for both Breaking Bad and particularly Bioshock Infinite. Everybody knows it.

http://tevisthompson.com/on-videogame-reviews/

Consensus, consensus, consensus. Anyway, I wasn't directing that at you Ken, you're alright. But I think it gets to the point where it's time to start laying these larger issues out on the table instead of debating one movie, show, game at a time.

Quote:
"going with the fanboys," but FUCK THAT NOISE.

No, no, not the fanboys. Just consensus. That's all it can really be called at this point. And yes, I do say that. If you don't like that particular noise, just put on the earmuffs.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:37 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:
Don't be an asshole, dude.

Give me a reason not to be then. I'm so tired of this consensus shit. You know how many thousands of places there are on the internet where Bioshock has been praised using exactly the same phrase he did? Ditto to Breaking Bad? So maybe you like those particular properties as much as the consensus dictates you should, but at least come up with a different way of SAYING it. That's all, just a different way of saying it. As opposed to copy/pasting the first praise tagline you find of the thing on Google. I'm sorry, but when someone's just asking (more like begging, pleading) for a retort like the one I gave, I see no reason why I shouldn't bite the bait.

Especially when EVERYONE KNOWS that there's been backlashes for both Breaking Bad and particularly Bioshock Infinite. Everybody knows it.

http://tevisthompson.com/on-videogame-reviews/

Consensus, consensus, consensus. Anyway, I wasn't directing that at you Ken, you're alright. But I think it gets to the point where it's time to start laying these larger issues out on the table instead of debating one movie, show, game at a time.

What the hell!? This bullshit again? Copying/pasting? I just typed what I felt. Didn't have any other windows open. I'm really sick and tired of you accusing me of this. And yes, you're the only one on the forum who does it. I don't know what the fuck your problem is with me, since all I'm doing is what ANYONE would do, which is praise what they like. You don't see me crushing you for praising the movies you do, right?

Yeah, I know, it's the Internet and you can easily plagiarize just about anything, and I stand by what I feel. So fucking what if I agree with the consensus a lot? I go into every movie/video game/TV show wanting to like it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but I at least give it a chance. I don't walk in angry from the get-go.

At any rate, I will NEVER stop discussing movies on this forum no matter what RT or metacritic says. I enjoy it. And just like Vexer doesn't deserve the level of ridicule he does for going against the grain, I don't feel I do for going with it. So there.

Last edited by KWRoss on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:54 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Give me a reason not to be then.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with differing with someone on a piece of art or entertainment. The work is up for discussion. But slagging the character of other posters who have done nothing wrong to you personally is not only a dick move, but it harms the integrity of any legitimate argument you might have about the work. If you want to persuade people to consider the validity of your opinion, this isn't how you do it.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 pm
Director

I think I'll just stick to running the contest and not comment on any other thread anymore. So done with this.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm
Director

Whether or not it's what you really feel, bring something different/interesting to the table anyway. Just say something that no one else is saying. "This is how I feel" isn't enough of a justification. Anyone can say that. It may be how you feel, it doesn't matter. But it's no secret that consensus dominates everything now, and it's legitimate to argue that an opinion needs to go beyond the consensus.

Last year, a lot of people loved Holy Motors, but people brought their own analysis of it to the table too. That's what matters. Not just whether it's good or not, but whether you can say something about it that's unique.

Quote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with differing with someone on a piece of art or entertainment. The work is up for discussion. But slagging the character of other posters who have done nothing wrong to you personally is not only a dick move, but it harms the integrity of any legitimate argument you might have about the work. If you want to persuade people to consider the validity of your opinion, this isn't how you do it.

What I'm saying is, there's something in between those two things that needs to be addressed. Not slagging character perhaps, but not focusing on just one work either. What about fundamentally differing with someone on their approach to movie watching and criticism as a whole? We're talking about deep-seated fundamental differences here. When Ross says he loves movies and I say I love movies, we're referring to entirely different things. Someone who loves the Wolf of Wall Street vs. someone like me who doesn't. We both use the same word: MOVIE, or FILM. But I think we mean completely different things most of the time.

That's the difference that should be reconciled here. You love something and I love something, and we both call it film, but it's not the same thing. There's a real paradox there. For my part, I can say I don't love any individual work, I love the idea of films and film itself. Therefore I think it's correct not to put any individual work on too high a pedestal just by itself. Because that work is sharing the pedestal with 100 others.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:17 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
I think I'll just stick to running the contest and not comment on any other thread anymore. So done with this.

I, among several others I'm sure, enjoy your contributions very much and would like to keep hearing your opinions. Don't let some negative comments keep you from sharing them.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Steven wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I, among several others I'm sure, enjoy your contributions very much and would like to keep hearing your opinions. Don't let some negative comments keep you from sharing them.

Yeah I would like to hear your comments as well, just cause I don't think Bioshock is that great dosen't mean you shouldn't talk about it.

Cook- I enjoy reading your posts and I agree with you on quite a few things, but I really think you should tone it down a bit, there's no need to insult KWRoss for having an opinion that follows the general consensus. I'd hate to see you end up like roastbeef.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 pm
Director

Vex, lots of respect, but "insult" is a two-way street.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:31 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:

Two or three years ago I had about the same thought as you (there's a period when I hadn't been on the forum that much; that's why I missed the Pedros :( ). But then I realize I really respect and want to hear from/interact with many people here too much about film to stay away. I really enjoy your contributions too. Please stay.

thered47 wrote:
The Great Gatsby

While it isn't afraid to make changes to the novel, it's faithful to the spirit and overall nature of what F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. Other then a couple of missteps during the overedited opening sequences, this an enthralling interpretation from begining to end.

I'm reading the book right now. To a foreigner who's heard of its famous reputation, it's surprisingly readable and more concise than I thought. But I'm still confused how such a small book get to 2.5 hours. I generally enjoy Luhrmann, so I will check the movie out after I'm done reading.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm
Second Unit Director

Nevermind.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

My local Alamo Drafthouse showed 2001: A Space Odyssey a few months ago. I'd never seen it on the big screen before. It was entirely transporting in a new way for me. Scenes that bore me a bit on TV completely transfixed me. The one exception is the Beyond the Infinite section, which I still think is too long by half. But still, a great experience.

KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.

ilovemovies wrote:
If we are to include all forms of media, then the best of 2013 is Breaking Bad. Those final 8 episodes are terrific, especially the last 3 episodes. And this is coming from someone who didn't think Breaking Bad became a great show until around season 3. The first two seasons were good, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for TV. And even in seasons 3 and 4, they'd be in my top 10, but probably not in my top 5. But season 5 and 6 (or 5a and 5b as it's more known for) it's definitely in my top 5 and, in the case of season 6, my #1 fave.

For me, that would be the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad. A local theater was showing each episode live this year, and that is the one I happened to catch. I'd always found Breaking Bad a little bit of a silly show (in a good way), so the turn to utter despair this season was a little jarring for me (again, in a good way). No other experience I had in a theater this year (even seeing Gravity) was quite as intense as seeing Ozymandias with 100 other equally freaking out people. If I were including it in my 2013 movie top 10, I think it'd be #1--certainly at least in the top 4.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:28 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Movies I saw for the first time this year and really liked:

Torque/Detention
Running Scared
Dark City
Short Cuts
The Brave One
Mona Lisa (which took a second viewing to really get into)
Earrings of Madame de...
Blow Up
White Dog
Repo Man
Demolition Man
Cube

Cube? CUBE???

OH MY GOD! THAT MOVIE WAS SO AWFUL I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATED IT! It was stupid, boring pretentious, horribly acted, cheesy looking, and generally wretched piece of shit!

GOD!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Cube? CUBE???

OH MY GOD! THAT MOVIE WAS SO AWFUL I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I HATED IT! It was stupid, boring pretentious, horribly acted, cheesy looking, and generally wretched piece of shit!

GOD!

I had fun with it.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:58 am
Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
...Cube

Cube? CUBE???

GOD!

No need to shout and invoke the Lord's name in vain, son. ;) You know:

Quote:
3. DON’T YELL, PLEASE! Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered YELLING. Capitalizing (or using bold or large fonts) occasionally for emphasis is fine, but your entire post should used mixed case and normal fonts.

I for one like 'Cube'. It's a nifty little horror film.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 am
Auteur

I too liked Cube and it's sequel and prequel.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am
Second Unit Director

Unke wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
...Cube

Cube? CUBE???

GOD!

Quote:
3. DON’T YELL, PLEASE! Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considered YELLING. Capitalizing (or using bold or large fonts) occasionally for emphasis is fine, but your entire post should used mixed case and normal fonts.

Seems like an odd film to break the rules for. :lol:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm
Assistant Director

Unke wrote:

+1

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Of course the acting isn't too good it's made for 350 grand. But kept me engaged for 85 mins and left an impression.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Cube? CUBE???

GOD!

Quote:

Seems like an odd film to break the rules for. :lol:

I hope the smiley gave away that my comment was partly in jest. I'm not the style police.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 am
Second Unit Director

Unke wrote:
I hope the smiley gave away that my comment was partly in jest. I'm not the style police.

I understood. I don't know if moviemkr7 did. I don't really care.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next