Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Best Film You've Seen This Year 
Auteur

Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
I loved both Demolition Man and Judge Dredd.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:36 pm
Producer

I know you did, vex. I know you did

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Assistant Director

For me, its a toss-up between Fruitvale Station and 12 Years a Slave. The former is more timely but the latter is more stylish. Both have an incredible impact.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:40 pm
Director

Wake In Fright
Inferno(saw at noir fest, prob best theatrical experience of '13)
Holy Motors
Starlet
Le Trou
The Last Hunt
Caged
12 Years A Slave

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 pm
Director

Quote:
Inferno(saw at noir fest, prob best theatrical experience of '13)

What movie is this? Roy Ward Baker, 1953?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm
Assistant Director

Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.

I had a similar experience with a game this year, except it was The Last Of Us. Even though it's been a strong year for film, I don't think anything has stuck with me the way that game has (although Bioshock Infinite was certainly excellent as well). 2013 was just a banner year in general for video games as an art form.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I had a similar experience with a game this year, except it was The Last Of Us. Even though it's been a strong year for film, I don't think anything has stuck with me the way that game has (although Bioshock Infinite was certainly excellent as well). 2013 was just a banner year in general for video games as an art form.

Yup, the top three "cinematic" video games on metacritic include Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V. Hollywood better take notice that there's great material to draw from here, not just garden variety franchises like Resident Evil and Need for Speed.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:28 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Yup, the top three "cinematic" video games on metacritic include Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V. Hollywood better take notice that there's great material to draw from here, not just garden variety franchises like Resident Evil and Need for Speed.

Personally i'm really excited for the sixth Resident Evil film and Need For Speed.

Honestly I found Bioshock Infinite to be an incredibly overrated game(no way it deserved all those 10s it got from mags like Gameinformer), i've never been a big fan of that franchise and that game didn't change that. I just found the story uninteresting and way too convoluted with all the time travel stuff, I didn't care about any of the character, found the gameplay bland and unexciting, and did not find the ending "shocking" at all, I just thought it was really weak and contrived.

One gaming franchise filmmakers should take inspiration from is Mass Effect, it has hands THE best storytelling not just in video games, but in ANY form of medium I have ever seen. Of all the 2013 games I played, Tomb Raider definitely stuck with me the most story-wise(haven't played Last Of Us due to not owning a PS3)

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:

Honestly I found Bioshock Infinite to be an incredibly overrated game(no way it deserved all those 10s it got from mags like Gameinformer), i've never been a big fan of that franchise and that game didn't change that. I just found the story uninteresting and way too convoluted with all the time travel stuff, I didn't care about any of the character, found the gameplay bland and unexciting, and did not find the ending "shocking" at all, I just thought it was really weak and contrived.

Oh goddamnit. I should've seen that coming a mile away......

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 pm
Producer

Part one of No Direction Home. Of new films, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. But it's only January 3.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
Oh goddamnit. I should've seen that coming a mile away......

I disagree. You shouldn't have seen it coming, and I'd be perfectly fine with God not damning it.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am
Producer

If we are to include all forms of media, then the best of 2013 is Breaking Bad. Those final 8 episodes are terrific, especially the last 3 episodes. And this is coming from someone who didn't think Breaking Bad became a great show until around season 3. The first two seasons were good, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for TV. And even in seasons 3 and 4, they'd be in my top 10, but probably not in my top 5. But season 5 and 6 (or 5a and 5b as it's more known for) it's definitely in my top 5 and, in the case of season 6, my #1 fave.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:56 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
If we are to include all forms of media, then the best of 2013 is Breaking Bad. Those final 8 episodes are terrific, especially the last 3 episodes. And this is coming from someone who didn't think Breaking Bad became a great show until around season 3. The first two seasons were good, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for TV. And even in seasons 3 and 4, they'd be in my top 10, but probably not in my top 5. But season 5 and 6 (or 5a and 5b as it's more known for) it's definitely in my top 5 and, in the case of season 6, my #1 fave.

That's an interesting perspective, and possibly an encouraging one. In the midst of my frantic scramble to find something to fill my time until Sons of Anarchy (which surprisingly gets no love around here) season 7, I started watching Breaking Bad because there is virtually no negative feedback on it from.. well.. anywhere. I quit about half way through season 2.. quite unsatisfied. Maybe I'll try to slog through a bit farther. Unfortunately I've stumbled into Sherlock, which has been far more entertaining to me than Breaking Bad so far.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:47 am
Assistant Director

I didn't wanna have to say this at first, but, part of why I brought up Bioshock: Infinite is because its story at times reminded me of all the best elements of two of my favorite movies of the decade thus far....

wait for it......

[Reveal] Spoiler:
INCEPTION and LOOPER :twisted:

So there ya go.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss, Thanks for reminding me I need to finish that game. The problem is that all Unreal Engine games have given me massive motion sickness. (Include all Source games to the list as well, as well as most FPSes.) It has to do with the fucking insane gun bob these games have. I badly want to play that game, but I have to stop it after half an hour or hour because I want to puke. I keep hearing amazing stuff about BI, and I love immersive games with great stories. I might have to play through the pain like I did with the first Bioshock and the Half Life games.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director

KWRoss wrote:

Must you extend your dim-witted pretentiousness even to video games?

Last edited by MGamesCook on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm
Producer

Don't be an asshole, dude.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm
Second Unit Director

The Great Gatsby

While it isn't afraid to make changes to the novel, it's faithful to the spirit and overall nature of what F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. Other then a couple of missteps during the overedited opening sequences, this an enthralling interpretation from begining to end.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Must you extent your dim-witted pretentiousness even to video games?

If that's what you want to call it, sure. Can't help it if I like what I like. Now, some might say I'm not actually forming a real opinion and just "going with the fanboys," but FUCK THAT NOISE.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next