Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Best Film You've Seen This Year 
Author Message
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
I loved both Demolition Man and Judge Dredd.


Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:36 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2383
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
I know you did, vex. I know you did

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
For me, its a toss-up between Fruitvale Station and 12 Years a Slave. The former is more timely but the latter is more stylish. Both have an incredible impact.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:40 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1440
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Wake In Fright
Inferno(saw at noir fest, prob best theatrical experience of '13)
Holy Motors
Starlet
Le Trou
The Last Hunt
Caged
12 Years A Slave


Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1592
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Quote:
Inferno(saw at noir fest, prob best theatrical experience of '13)


What movie is this? Roy Ward Baker, 1953?


Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 639
Location: The Desert
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.


I had a similar experience with a game this year, except it was The Last Of Us. Even though it's been a strong year for film, I don't think anything has stuck with me the way that game has (although Bioshock Infinite was certainly excellent as well). 2013 was just a banner year in general for video games as an art form.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Blonde Almond wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.


I had a similar experience with a game this year, except it was The Last Of Us. Even though it's been a strong year for film, I don't think anything has stuck with me the way that game has (although Bioshock Infinite was certainly excellent as well). 2013 was just a banner year in general for video games as an art form.


Yup, the top three "cinematic" video games on metacritic include Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V. Hollywood better take notice that there's great material to draw from here, not just garden variety franchises like Resident Evil and Need for Speed.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:28 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
KWRoss wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.


I had a similar experience with a game this year, except it was The Last Of Us. Even though it's been a strong year for film, I don't think anything has stuck with me the way that game has (although Bioshock Infinite was certainly excellent as well). 2013 was just a banner year in general for video games as an art form.


Yup, the top three "cinematic" video games on metacritic include Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Grand Theft Auto V. Hollywood better take notice that there's great material to draw from here, not just garden variety franchises like Resident Evil and Need for Speed.

Personally i'm really excited for the sixth Resident Evil film and Need For Speed.

Honestly I found Bioshock Infinite to be an incredibly overrated game(no way it deserved all those 10s it got from mags like Gameinformer), i've never been a big fan of that franchise and that game didn't change that. I just found the story uninteresting and way too convoluted with all the time travel stuff, I didn't care about any of the character, found the gameplay bland and unexciting, and did not find the ending "shocking" at all, I just thought it was really weak and contrived.

One gaming franchise filmmakers should take inspiration from is Mass Effect, it has hands THE best storytelling not just in video games, but in ANY form of medium I have ever seen. Of all the 2013 games I played, Tomb Raider definitely stuck with me the most story-wise(haven't played Last Of Us due to not owning a PS3)


Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Vexer wrote:

Honestly I found Bioshock Infinite to be an incredibly overrated game(no way it deserved all those 10s it got from mags like Gameinformer), i've never been a big fan of that franchise and that game didn't change that. I just found the story uninteresting and way too convoluted with all the time travel stuff, I didn't care about any of the character, found the gameplay bland and unexciting, and did not find the ending "shocking" at all, I just thought it was really weak and contrived.


Oh goddamnit. I should've seen that coming a mile away......

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2016
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Part one of No Direction Home. Of new films, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. But it's only January 3.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
KWRoss wrote:
Oh goddamnit. I should've seen that coming a mile away......

I disagree. You shouldn't have seen it coming, and I'd be perfectly fine with God not damning it.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2101
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
If we are to include all forms of media, then the best of 2013 is Breaking Bad. Those final 8 episodes are terrific, especially the last 3 episodes. And this is coming from someone who didn't think Breaking Bad became a great show until around season 3. The first two seasons were good, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for TV. And even in seasons 3 and 4, they'd be in my top 10, but probably not in my top 5. But season 5 and 6 (or 5a and 5b as it's more known for) it's definitely in my top 5 and, in the case of season 6, my #1 fave.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:56 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 355
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
ilovemovies wrote:
If we are to include all forms of media, then the best of 2013 is Breaking Bad. Those final 8 episodes are terrific, especially the last 3 episodes. And this is coming from someone who didn't think Breaking Bad became a great show until around season 3. The first two seasons were good, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 for TV. And even in seasons 3 and 4, they'd be in my top 10, but probably not in my top 5. But season 5 and 6 (or 5a and 5b as it's more known for) it's definitely in my top 5 and, in the case of season 6, my #1 fave.


That's an interesting perspective, and possibly an encouraging one. In the midst of my frantic scramble to find something to fill my time until Sons of Anarchy (which surprisingly gets no love around here) season 7, I started watching Breaking Bad because there is virtually no negative feedback on it from.. well.. anywhere. I quit about half way through season 2.. quite unsatisfied. Maybe I'll try to slog through a bit farther. Unfortunately I've stumbled into Sherlock, which has been far more entertaining to me than Breaking Bad so far.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:47 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
I didn't wanna have to say this at first, but, part of why I brought up Bioshock: Infinite is because its story at times reminded me of all the best elements of two of my favorite movies of the decade thus far....

wait for it......

[Reveal] Spoiler:
INCEPTION and LOOPER :twisted:


So there ya go.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
KWRoss, Thanks for reminding me I need to finish that game. The problem is that all Unreal Engine games have given me massive motion sickness. (Include all Source games to the list as well, as well as most FPSes.) It has to do with the fucking insane gun bob these games have. I badly want to play that game, but I have to stop it after half an hour or hour because I want to puke. I keep hearing amazing stuff about BI, and I love immersive games with great stories. I might have to play through the pain like I did with the first Bioshock and the Half Life games.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1592
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.


Must you extend your dim-witted pretentiousness even to video games?


Last edited by MGamesCook on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
Don't be an asshole, dude.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 250
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
The Great Gatsby

While it isn't afraid to make changes to the novel, it's faithful to the spirit and overall nature of what F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. Other then a couple of missteps during the overedited opening sequences, this an enthralling interpretation from begining to end.

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Best Film You've Seen This Year
MGamesCook wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Oh yeah, I should also mention one more thing, if I were to include all other forms of media in this discussion (TV, video games, older films, etc.), I have to single out the video game Bioshock: Infinite. Seriously, it's a very cinematic game, and as pure story, it's phenomenal. It's so brilliantly constructed, complete with an incredible shocker of an ending, and it's the only game I immediately had to start over from the beginning as soon as I finished it in order to piece things together. It's that damn good.


Must you extent your dim-witted pretentiousness even to video games?


If that's what you want to call it, sure. Can't help it if I like what I like. Now, some might say I'm not actually forming a real opinion and just "going with the fanboys," but FUCK THAT NOISE.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr