Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:30 am

Ken's Wonderful Winter of Walken 
Auteur

Post Re: Ken's Wonderful Winter of Walken
Ragnarok73 wrote:
If you're looking for films in which Walken just gives one of his famous dialogues, you could check out Man on Fire. His speech about what Creasy is and what he is going to do to the bad guys is one of the highlights of the entire film as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, he also had some great moments in "Domino", Walken and Tony Scott seemed tailor-made for one another.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 am
Producer

Nick of Time was awesome. A very enjoyable thriller.

I'm one of those people who thought the first act of The Deer Hunter goes on way too long, so the movie's not quite a masterpiece for me, but once they get to Vietnam it's pretty riveting and gripping stuff.

Catch Me If You Can is definitely one of my favorites of his. There's a reason why he was nominated for that movie. Delightful performance in a delightful film and yet there is also a lot of sadness to him in that as well.

I'll always love him in The Rundown, Pulp Fiction, Man on Fire, Seven Psychopaths, Stand Up Guys, Wedding Crashers, Blast From the Past. The Dead Zone was pretty decent too. I always thought A View to a Kill was an underrated James Bond flick.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:23 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
If you're looking for films in which Walken just gives one of his famous dialogues, you could check out Man on Fire. His speech about what Creasy is and what he is going to do to the bad guys is one of the highlights of the entire film as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I'm concerned Man on Fire is a great movie, with tons of highlights. And you're right, that speech is awesome.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 am
Producer

I really (perhaps shamefully) like Man on Fire.

But I don't think it makes us of Walken.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:10 am
Critic

Somehow we've all failed to mention True Romance. If you haven't seen it, it should definitely make your list

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:55 pm
Producer

I've seen it. I'm actually not a big fan of that movie, but the Walker/Hopper scene is practically a movie in itself. It's a good one.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I've seen it. I'm actually not a big fan of that movie, but the Walker/Hopper scene is practically a movie in itself. It's a good one.

For sure. I love Walken there

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm
Producer

TR is basically a film you think rocks as a teenager, but suddenly becomes at a bit of a joke in your mid-20s.

Great scene though

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
TR is basically a film you think rocks as a teenager, but suddenly becomes at a bit of a joke in your mid-20s.

Great scene though

Yeppp. I saw it in Freshman Year of college, loved it, and havent seen it since. That sounds like the way to be

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm
Producer

Some movies are like that though. They're reeeaaally showy, but they're good at the same time. If you need to be inducted into the world of good movies, the thing that's going to pull you in is the one that yanks you by the lapels.

For me, Pulp Fiction was a big one. The Tarantino connection is probably not a coincidence.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:03 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Some movies are like that though. They're reeeaaally showy, but they're good at the same time. If you need to be inducted into the world of good movies, the thing that's going to pull you in is the one that yanks you by the lapels.

For me, Pulp Fiction was a big one. The Tarantino connection is probably not a coincidence.

Requiem for a Dream was my one. I couldnt think or talk about anything else for days

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Great scene though

Yeppp. I saw it in Freshman Year of college, loved it, and havent seen it since. That sounds like the way to be

I have to disagree, I think TR is a fantastic film and easily holds up on rewatches.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Producer

True Romance reminds me of something like Tango & Cash, or Wall Street.

Not that they are themselves similar, but films defined by the era they were made. In that sense it hasn't aged well. That and the fact it is so obviously targetted at 16 year olds, despite its rating

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
True Romance reminds me of something like Tango & Cash, or Wall Street.

Not that they are themselves similar, but films defined by the era they were made. In that sense it hasn't aged well. That and the fact it is so obviously targetted at 16 year olds, despite its rating

I strongly disagree that TR is aimed at 16-year olds, same with Wall Street, Tango and Cash maybe, but it's still fun.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:41 pm
Producer

To keep Walken fans going -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:28 am
Producer

The Anderson Tapes

This one was a bit of a slog. The big problem, I think, is that it's a caper film that puts too much faith in the caper. None of the crooks has much of a personality, aside from Martin Balsam's mincing gay stereotype and Sean Connery's Shcottishness, so there's not much here to gain or sustain interest in any of the players. And the twists and turns of the crime, such as they are, are nothing remarkable.

There are a few distinctive stylistic choices here. One is the titular tapes--surveillance in this film is a running theme, though I kept waiting for it to amount to something that never really seemed to be there. Given that the recording of these characters is intercut several times, and given that the film is named for it, one can be forgiven for assuming that the tapes were more important. Another is the frequent flashing-forward to interviews of the witnesses following the crime, which adds nothing to the film aside from revealing (often right as their lives are under threat) that the victims made it out okay. Another is the electronic score by Quincy Jones, which is at times inventive and which must have been really wild in 1971, but the more minimalist it gets, the more grating it becomes.

The Anderson Tapes is historically significant for being Christopher Walken's first movie. He doesn't get much to do here aside from one quick nip at the scenery near the beginning, plus looking good in a Luke Skywalker-ish sort of way. His character doesn't even get a name. His is just another prop character in a movie that's full of them.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:34 pm
Producer

I've never seen that one, for some reason I though Walken's first film was a Woody Allen film.

Anyhooow, I watched Catch me if you can on Saturday night; and Walken puts in a thoroughly decent turn in it.

(Edit: I was thinking Annie Hall, and I was about 6 years out.)

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 am
Producer

Yeah, most people know his early work from Annie Hall and The Deer Hunter, for good reason.

One thing I didn't mention about The Anderson Tapes is that you get to see what Connery was up to during his lost weekend between You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever, plus a good look at his real hairline.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 pm
Producer

Ah yes, Sean Connery. The only Bond with an Oscar.

I think he can be difficult to watch in his non-Bond films. But I did catch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade over the New Year, and we did a good job in that.

Back to Walken, what are you up to now?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:01 am
Cinematographer

I think the first thing I ever saw Walken in was 1983's Brainstorm, which also happened to be Natalie Wood's last movie; she died before production was completed and so parts of the movie had to be re-jiggered from stuff already filmed.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 pm