Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 pm

BEFORE? 
Second Unit Director

Post BEFORE?
Reading JB's review and incredible enthusiasm for Before Midnight has really got me interested in seeing it. My question for the community at large: Does it work well as a stand along viewing or would you recommend that I watch the other ones before I watch the first two movies?

Thanks!

Last edited by Taleswapper on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: AFTER?
Well, it's called Before Midnight, so that might be part of the confusion... although your joke pretty much still works!

I can't say this strongly enough: watch all three films. It's watchable on its own and can be appreciated, probably, but you would be missing out on the whole point -- the films are intended to work together and in relation to each other. Additionally, the first two are also just supremely good, and not very long, and readily available. Get a hold of Before Sunrise and watch it. If you don't like it you're not going to like the other ones. If you do, well, then I envy the experience you're about to have. Watch 'em all.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: AFTER?
Shade2 wrote:
Well, it's called Before Midnight, so that might be part of the confusion... although your joke pretty much still works!

I can't say this strongly enough: watch all three films. It's watchable on its own and can be appreciated, probably, but you would be missing out on the whole point -- the films are intended to work together and in relation to each other. Additionally, the first two are also just supremely good, and not very long, and readily available. Get a hold of Before Sunrise and watch it. If you don't like it you're not going to like the other ones. If you do, well, then I envy the experience you're about to have. Watch 'em all.

Oh my. Edited. NOTE TO SELF: GET MORE SLEEP. :D

Thank you so much for the input. It's settled then: I'll start from the beginning!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:58 pm
Producer

Post Re: BEFORE?
I'm not quite as overwhelmed by the films as James, but definitely see all three in order. The later films play off and refer to events in the earlier films, and I think the series gets better as it goes along.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:05 pm