Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 am

Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry? 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry?
One that took me by surprise in the theaters was Return of the King. Not at a spot you'd think, like "I can carry you!" But at the lighting of the beacons. Just the majesty of it somehow got me.

Sports movies are good at making me cry.

Rocky - Every single time. Usually at the end of the "Going the Distance" montage.
Warrior - the final fight.
Field of Dreams - "Hey . . . Dad?"

And Pixar's really good at it too.

Monster's Inc - The first Pixar movie to make me cry. "Kitty."
Up - I'm not the biggest fan of the movie overall, but the opening montage destroys me.
Toy Story 3 - The incinerator scene.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 am
Second Unit Director

Tons of films, I am generally considered a softie.

The only film where I've sobbed is: *shock and horror*

Schindler's List - Every time the film's Schindler Jews morph into the real-life Schindler Jews. When Liam Neeson cries that he couldn't save more lives. And tons of other scenes. I even tear up just thinking about what Schindler achieved, and of course, John Williams' and Itzhak Perlman's theme music.

These below have made me well up to the point of sobbing:

It's a Wonderful Life - "No man is a failure who has friends." 'Nuff Said.
Saving Private Ryan - "Earn it!"
Up - When Mr. Fredericksen opens up his wife's diary and Michael Giacchhino's soul touching theme begins to play in the background.
Toy Story 3 - Films with themes of friendship generally get me, and the incinerator scene was no different.
Armageddon - Sorry Ken! I am not sure I'd cry now, but I have cried in the past whenever it's been on TV.
The Shawshank Redemption - Must be something do with the fact that Morgan Freeman is the narrator.
127 Hours - Real story and Franco absolutely nailed the performance.

Tons of Sports films and even formulaic romantic comedies:
Miracle - The fact that this was a real life story probably did it for me. How they achieved it, I'll never know.
Rocky
Wimbledon

Almost teared up for odd reasons, tears of joy for example:
Inglourious Basterds - Not the film, but just how fucking good it was. I have a small lump in my throat every time Brad Pitt speaks for Tarantino: "You know something Utivich, I think this might just be my masterpiece." Awesome!
2001: A Space Odyssey - Same as above.

Loads of other films I am probably forgetting.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Just the other day, I went to go see Homefront and there is a scene between Jason Statham and his daughter where the girl talks about missing her mother who had died a year or so earlier. I lost my mother about a year and a half ago, so that scene got to me and made a bit teary eyed.

A Jason Statham almost made me cry? Who'd a thunk?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:30 am
Producer

Add Saving Mr. Banks to the list, rather unexpectedly. It was the joyous sequence to Let's Go Fly a Kite that did it.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Syd Henderson wrote:
Add Saving Mr. Banks to the list, rather unexpectedly. It was the joyous sequence to Let's Go Fly a Kite that did it.

Same here.

Which reminds me. I usually always tear up at the "Let's Go Fly a Kite" sequence in Mary Poppins. So really, I had almost no chance against any use of that song in Saving Mr. Banks.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 am

I'm a total sap.

Marley & Me kills me at the end, every time. I can't watch it with other people.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:01 pm

JamesKunz wrote:
Since I've been seriously watching movies (September 2004) I have seen over 2000. Some have made me tear up a little bit (Grave of the Fireflies being a notable one) but only one movie has made me flat out sob:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of a Jewish boy being hidden in a Catholic school during World War II, it builds up a tentative and beautiful friendship between the Jewish boy and one of his Catholic classmates and then (redacted) and you hear a voice on the soundtrack and you realize that it's the director's voice, that this is his story he's telling, and it's just devastating. My poor wife didn't know what to do other than awkwardly pat me on the back as I sobbed.

Kunz beat me to it, this film is about as heartbreaking and emotionally devastating a film as I've seen (followed closely by Kunzie's second pick, Grave of the Fireflies; I do love me my Kunz). As truly earned a punch to the gut if there ever was one.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:24 pm
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Since I've been seriously watching movies (September 2004) I have seen over 2000. Some have made me tear up a little bit (Grave of the Fireflies being a notable one) but only one movie has made me flat out sob:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of a Jewish boy being hidden in a Catholic school during World War II, it builds up a tentative and beautiful friendship between the Jewish boy and one of his Catholic classmates and then (redacted) and you hear a voice on the soundtrack and you realize that it's the director's voice, that this is his story he's telling, and it's just devastating. My poor wife didn't know what to do other than awkwardly pat me on the back as I sobbed.

Kunz beat me to it, this film is about as heartbreaking and emotionally devastating a film as I've seen (followed closely by Kunzie's second pick, Grave of the Fireflies; I do love me my Kunz). As truly earned a punch to the gut if there ever was one.

*passes you tissues, hands trembling*

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 pm

JamesKunz wrote:
*passes you tissues, hands trembling*

*accepts gracelessly*

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:58 am
Director

might seem silly, but I saw 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' theatrically recently and got a little misty at the end.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 pm