Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:26 am

Worst Things About Being a Cinephile 
Critic

Post Re: Worst Things About Being a Cinephile
JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Great answers. I agree completely about the spending money part, btw. How about, when a friend you previously liked talking movies with suddenly decides that only losers watch movies and then dedicates his life to other shit instead? :(

Yea thats really sad, and ever so slightly enraging, especially when the person runs through whole seasons of television episodes in one to two days flat.

Ugh tell me about it. Just because that's socially acceptable these days. Like those people who play Xbox and Playstation games but mock PC gamers

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:01 pm
Cinematographer

-Watching a trailer and getting that terrible gut feeling that it's just spoiled the entire movie for you. I know there are at least a couple people here who have already spoken out about how they try to avoid trailers at all costs, and I think I'm about ready to join their ranks. If a trailer is longer than a minute and a half, I don't want to see it.

I've been trying to completely avoid any extensive thoughts on Gravity, but thankfully this is one instance where the trailers have gone a great job keeping an air of mystery surrounding the film. Even after watching the trailers, all I really know about it is it's set in space and there is some sort of accident that threatens the lives of two astronauts. An example of a marketing campaign done right, something that seems to rarely happen with films nowadays.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Great answers. I agree completely about the spending money part, btw. How about, when a friend you previously liked talking movies with suddenly decides that only losers watch movies and then dedicates his life to other shit instead? :(

Yea thats really sad, and ever so slightly enraging, especially when the person runs through whole seasons of television episodes in one to two days flat.

Ugh tell me about it. Just because that's socially acceptable these days. Like those people who play Xbox and Playstation games but mock PC gamers

That goes both ways though, there are plenty of elitist PC games who look down upon and mock console players. I play both console and PC games myself.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 pm
Assistant Director

This one is more mildly annoying than truly infuriating, but whenever you see a movie with someone, and the first thing they say to you after the movie ends goes something like, "DURRRRR!!!!! How many stars would you give it?"

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:56 am
Producer

Yeah, it's weird how we train ourselves to talk about this stuff. We probably don't realize how easily we lapse into movie lingo until we catch someone else doing it.

(The answer to the stars question, by the way, is "SIXTY-NINE, DUDE!" Always.)

-

For me, it's always a slightly shaming experience when I post my usual eight-to-a-dozen titles at the end of the month, then AJ Hakari comes in and unfurls a scroll that reaches his feet, scrawled on foolscap with gold leaf. My movie peen is pitifully short in those moments.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
-When you haven't seen some shitty movie and people get to be really smug with their "You've seen thousands of movies and you've NEVER seen Stepbrothers!?

THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD, THIS!!!!!!

It always boils down to some silly, stupid, inconsequential comedy that people give you shit for never having seen. For some of my friends, those movies are Grandma's Boy and Beerfest.

Step Brothers is one of my guilty pleasures, though. 8-)

It doesn't even have to be a shitty movie. I hate it when my friends give me crap for not seeing something like Gran Torino yet. My response is generally along the lines of, "I apologize for watching Lawrence of Arabia last night."

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

-Having to explain to someone about the difference between "fullscreen" and "widescreen" or have them complain about the latter making the "picture smaller". Yes but you get more of it! Rawr!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 am
Profile WWW