Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread... 
Author Message
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 639
Location: The Desert
Post So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
I think most of the regular posters on ReelViews are more fans of basketball, but there are at least a few here who closely follow America's pastime. With the winter meetings currently in full swing, I thought now was as good a time as any to start up a thread.

Plenty of big news so far this offseason, and my Arizona Diamondbacks were just involved in a three team trade with the Angels and White Sox:

Angels get two left-handed pitchers: Tyler Skaggs and Hector Santiago.
White Sox get center-fielder Adam Eaton.
Diamondbacks get power hitter Mark Trumbo and two prospects that have yet to be named.

From a Diamondbacks perspective, I'm still trying to decide if I like this trade or not. The organization has plenty of minor league depth, so Skaggs and Eaton, while solid players, were somewhat disposable. The former hasn't quite lived up to expectations and isn't valued as highly as Archie Bradley, one of the top pitching prospects in the game, while the latter is not as refined a player as our other young center fielder A.J. Pollack. I don't mind them being traded, but I wonder if we got back the right player in return. Trumbo digs the long ball, but his career on-base percentage is quite low and he'll be expected to play left field, which is not his best position. On the more positive side, they needed a power hitter to slot behind MVP runner-up Paul Goldschmidt and provide protection for him, and he could fill that role nicely. The fact that he's now hitting in an extreme hitter's ballpark should also help matters.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Hmm baseball news:

Well. I'm a Braves fan...and it was announced we are now building a $600mm new stadium in a much more affluent area of Atlanta. I'm fine with it because the new county is covering 2/3 the cost, but I would put Turner field in the upper echelon of baseball stadiums. The actual stadium is still very nice, it is just in the middle of the hobos and ghettos, and hard for the actual fans that attend ball games to get to.

So Seattle is getting a 30 year old 2nd baseman for 10 years and $240 f'n million? LOL good luck with that.

And that's about it. I usually don't even follow baseball until after the All Star break anyway.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 983
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Yes! Great idea for a thread. I like the Orioles and the Cubs. Neither have done much this offseason.

And yeah Cano's contract is ridiculous, but how about the Yanks giving 3 years, $45 mil a year to a 36-year-old Carlos Beltran? There ought to be a hard salary cap like the NFL or a "max contract" limit like in the NBA.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:42 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
I'm a Giants fan and I haven't been terribly excited about our transactions thus far, save for declining Barry Zito's option. (He'll always be in my heart for his Game 5 and Game 1 performances last year, as well as not collapsing with Bumgarner and Vogelsong.) If you take every starting pitcher's best season, next year looks pretty damn good. If you take every starting pitcher's worst season, I'ma be watching the A's a little more while sobbing into a pitcher of Angry Orchard. More like Sad Orchard. I don't like long term commitments for any player on the wrong side of 30, so I'm a little hesitant about Hunter Pence's contract. He doesn't know how to lay off sliders, he doesn't walk enough, and quite frankly I'm worried about him standing over my bed at night, staring at me while I sleep, stroking a baseball bat affectionately. However, he was the fourth best home run hitter in the National League (wut), very good at stealing bases (wut), and the only thing worth looking at in the outfield last year. The Giants need an left fielder and I'm not sure the combined four home runs from Gregor Blanco and Juan Perez are going to be enough to galvanize an offense that really struggles to score runs when Matt Cain pitches. I hope things come together again, but the Dodgers and Diamondbacks got a lot better this offseason and they were pretty good to begin with. (What the fuck are the Rockies doing?) Trumbo and Goldschmidt are going to go back-to-back against Lincecum at least once next year. Aaron Hill's going to be on second or third before that happens. Mark my words. PLEASE DON'T GET MICHAEL MORSE.

The Cano contract is utter nonsense, mostly for Cano. What the fuck are you doing in Seattle? You're a Yankee, you dumb shit. Mariano Rivera told you to do the right thing. Now they have Jacoby Ellsbury for seven years, also nonsense. The Carlos Beltran signing will look better once they can DH him a little more regularly, a spot that I imagine will be occupied mostly by Soriano and Jeter. I don't know, I think it's a good fit for the time being. They're probably going to contend if they can get their pitching together and all Beltran wants is a ring, poor guy.

I'm not in favor of salary caps, but if someone has a good argument for why they should be in place, I'll listen.

I like that home plate collisions are probably going to be banned soon, though 2014 is a little ambitious because determining intent and shit like that is going to be tough. It's dangerous, not to mention goofy at times. "Ohhhh no, the ball beat me by plenty, I better knock that ball loose or else I'ma look like an idiot." If it teaches better and safer baserunning, I'm all for that.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 639
Location: The Desert
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Sounds like everyone is down on the Robinson Cano signing. I don't get it either. I'd say there's a great chance he doesn't spend the next ten years in Seattle. Much like how Prince Fielder got traded after two years on his big deal, someone down the road will be willing to take a risk on that contract. For Cano personally though, this decision doesn't make much sense. Scrap the opportunity to stay a career Yankee and become a part of that organization's great history for the no man's land that currently is Seattle, just for the extra money? Bizarre.

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Hmm baseball news:

Well. I'm a Braves fan...and it was announced we are now building a $600mm new stadium in a much more affluent area of Atlanta. I'm fine with it because the new county is covering 2/3 the cost, but I would put Turner field in the upper echelon of baseball stadiums. The actual stadium is still very nice, it is just in the middle of the hobos and ghettos, and hard for the actual fans that attend ball games to get to.


Any thoughts on Justin Upton? He had moments of greatness in Arizona, but he was also an incredibly frustrating player to watch. After that monster April he had this year, everyone was proclaiming him to be the MVP. That talk cooled down considerably though when he fell back down to Earth.

Pedro wrote:
I'm a Giants fan and I haven't been terribly excited about our transactions thus far, save for declining Barry Zito's option. (He'll always be in my heart for his Game 5 and Game 1 performances last year, as well as not collapsing with Bumgarner and Vogelsong.) If you take every starting pitcher's best season, next year looks pretty damn good. If you take every starting pitcher's worst season, I'ma be watching the A's a little more while sobbing into a pitcher of Angry Orchard. More like Sad Orchard. I don't like long term commitments for any player on the wrong side of 30, so I'm a little hesitant about Hunter Pence's contract. He doesn't know how to lay off sliders, he doesn't walk enough, and quite frankly I'm worried about him standing over my bed at night, staring at me while I sleep, stroking a baseball bat affectionately. However, he was the fourth best home run hitter in the National League (wut), very good at stealing bases (wut), and the only thing worth looking at in the outfield last year. The Giants need an left fielder and I'm not sure the combined four home runs from Gregor Blanco and Juan Perez are going to be enough to galvanize an offense that really struggles to score runs when Matt Cain pitches. I hope things come together again, but the Dodgers and Diamondbacks got a lot better this offseason and they were pretty good to begin with. (What the fuck are the Rockies doing?) Trumbo and Goldschmidt are going to go back-to-back against Lincecum at least once next year. Aaron Hill's going to be on second or third before that happens. Mark my words. PLEASE DON'T GET MICHAEL MORSE.

I like that home plate collisions are probably going to be banned soon, though 2014 is a little ambitious because determining intent and shit like that is going to be tough. It's dangerous, not to mention goofy at times. "Ohhhh no, the ball beat me by plenty, I better knock that ball loose or else I'ma look like an idiot." If it teaches better and safer baserunning, I'm all for that.


Those Goldschmidt/Lincecum matchups have been great fun to watch as a Diamondbacks fan.

It's tough to get a handle on the Giants. The Tim Hudson signing could turn out great, but he's coming off a major injury and he's not exactly a spring chicken. That pitching staff as a whole will be key. Bumgarner should still be great, but you'll need bounceback years from Cain, Lincecum, and Vogelsong. And yeah, you definitely need some extra thump in the lineup as well. Still a very dangerous team if everything clicks.

I'm glad they're finally moving forward with some restrictions on home plate collisions. Like instant replay, after all the kinks have been worked out it's the right step forward for the game.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
I'm a big Cardinals fan. It's a great time to be one, really, since we have an unbelievably talented roster with depth out the ass.

We overpaid a bit for Jhonny Peralta, but fine by me. With Beltran gone, we've got the money to do so, and it meant we could hold onto our stockpile of amazing young talent.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Blonde Almond wrote:
It's tough to get a handle on the Giants. The Tim Hudson signing could turn out great, but he's coming off a major injury and he's not exactly a spring chicken.


I always liked Huddy. He played college ball at Auburn and makes his permanent home here (he even still holds some SEC records I believe). Good for him getting that big contract for the next two years...especially coming off his injury. He definitely needs it to pay for his mega house he has built here in Auburn (it has taken over 5 years to build because his wife keeps changing things). Another funny story about Huddy, my neighbor used to babysit his kids, and she used to tell me stories of him getting a little sudsy and "trying to take things further."

Blonde Almond wrote:
Any thoughts on Justin Upton? He had moments of greatness in Arizona, but he was also an incredibly frustrating player to watch. After that monster April he had this year, everyone was proclaiming him to be the MVP. That talk cooled down considerably though when he fell back down to Earth.


Uhhh, ya...We are locked in to some pretty big contracts for him and his brother, and jesus christ they have some cold bats at times. Liberty Group is screwing the braves. They won't spend the money to get an ace or a BIG time player (even though they have it). They locked the Braves in to the iron clad dog shit worst TV deal in the MLB (so no money there). I wish some atlanta billionaire would step up and buy them and put some renewed energy into them like Ted Turner did during the 90s.


Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:47 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 983
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Good job by my O's to trade closer Jim Johnson, acquire an everyday 2B in Jemile Weeks, and just today sign Grant Balfour. As you can see by the numbers from last year, this is definitely an upgrade. You could argue J.J. single-handedly cost us a playoff spot due to his various blown saves.

Johnson Balfour
IP 70 1/3 62 2/3
ERA 2.94 2.59
Strikeout rate 19.2% 27.5%
Walk rate 6.2% 10.3%
Opp. BA .273 .206
2014 salary
(approx.) $10.5M $7.5M

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
KWRoss wrote:
Good job by my O's to trade closer Jim Johnson, acquire an everyday 2B in Jemile Weeks, and just today sign Grant Balfour. As you can see by the numbers from last year, this is definitely an upgrade. You could argue J.J. single-handedly cost us a playoff spot due to his various blown saves.

Johnson Balfour
IP 70 1/3 62 2/3
ERA 2.94 2.59
Strikeout rate 19.2% 27.5%
Walk rate 6.2% 10.3%
Opp. BA .273 .206
2014 salary
(approx.) $10.5M $7.5M


I disagree somewhat. Balfour was better last year, I grant you, but they really couldn't get anything more from the baseball world than Jemile Weeks? Your "everyday 2B" went 1-9 in the majors last year

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 983
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
JamesKunz wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Good job by my O's to trade closer Jim Johnson, acquire an everyday 2B in Jemile Weeks, and just today sign Grant Balfour. As you can see by the numbers from last year, this is definitely an upgrade. You could argue J.J. single-handedly cost us a playoff spot due to his various blown saves.

Johnson Balfour
IP 70 1/3 62 2/3
ERA 2.94 2.59
Strikeout rate 19.2% 27.5%
Walk rate 6.2% 10.3%
Opp. BA .273 .206
2014 salary
(approx.) $10.5M $7.5M


I disagree somewhat. Balfour was better last year, I grant you, but they really couldn't get anything more from the baseball world than Jemile Weeks? Your "everyday 2B" went 1-9 in the majors last year


Bet you he plays more games than Brian Roberts, who broke his hand signing that Yankees contract and will start the season on the DL.*


*okay, I made that up. but still.....

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2383
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Has anyone ever watched Cricket?

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
NotHughGrant wrote:
Has anyone ever watched Cricket?


I think I understand the basics...but Godamn...just stick with soccer. I'd rather learn cantonese than the intricacies of cricket.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:30 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Who's getting Choo? I want him, but we can't come within spitting distance of affording him.

By the way, what's up with the Johnny Peralta singing? I agree with Mozeliak in that he doesn't need to be the moral police, but it sends an awkward message that a steroid suspension will have little to no effect on your free agency. I can see Brad Ziegler leading a charge to get that changed. (Man it'd be ironic if he tested positive for something in the future, even if it was on accident a la Guillermo Mota.) What do other sports do to discourage steroid use?

I didn't realize Jim Johnson had such a low walk rate. There's value in that, especially if he's not blowing saves all over the damn place. That probably won't happen, but it's a good thing to have a bullpener who can throw strikes. Jeez, 6.2%, those are Sergio Romo/Koji Uehara numbers, with more innings.

Jim costing the Orioles a playoff spot is definitely a cause, but their starting pitching lacked, lacks, and will lack considerable depth. They need Bundy to be healthy and Gausman to not suck. Some more bullpen magic wouldn't hurt. I do like the addition of Balfour, but they need another starter or two. Someone who's not super home run prone. I know it's difficult to pitch at Camden, but the Colorado starters did okay this past year. It can be done! I like the offense the Orioles have.

How did Colorado have FIFTEEN balks? That seems excessive. Two of them happened in the same at-bat against Michael Young by Rex Brothers. I guess he struck him out three times in the same at-bat? Look up the video, I don't even see the balk. Balks are confusing.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Pedro wrote:


By the way, what's up with the Johnny Peralta singing? I agree with Mozeliak in that he doesn't need to be the moral police, but it sends an awkward message that a steroid suspension will have little to no effect on your free agency. I can see Brad Ziegler leading a charge to get that changed. (Man it'd be ironic if he tested positive for something in the future, even if it was on accident a la Guillermo Mota.) What do other sports do to discourage steroid use?


Have you heard of the abomination that is Pete Kozma? That is what's up with the Peralta signing

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:


By the way, what's up with the Johnny Peralta singing? I agree with Mozeliak in that he doesn't need to be the moral police, but it sends an awkward message that a steroid suspension will have little to no effect on your free agency. I can see Brad Ziegler leading a charge to get that changed. (Man it'd be ironic if he tested positive for something in the future, even if it was on accident a la Guillermo Mota.) What do other sports do to discourage steroid use?


Have you heard of the abomination that is Pete Kozma? That is what's up with the Peralta signing

Grant Brisbee applied the following Mitch Hedberg quote to his error in game 1: "If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." He's a good defensive replacement, albeit not in that particular moment.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Pedro wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:


By the way, what's up with the Johnny Peralta singing? I agree with Mozeliak in that he doesn't need to be the moral police, but it sends an awkward message that a steroid suspension will have little to no effect on your free agency. I can see Brad Ziegler leading a charge to get that changed. (Man it'd be ironic if he tested positive for something in the future, even if it was on accident a la Guillermo Mota.) What do other sports do to discourage steroid use?


Have you heard of the abomination that is Pete Kozma? That is what's up with the Peralta signing

Grant Brisbee applied the following Mitch Hedberg quote to his error in game 1: "If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." He's a good defensive replacement, albeit not in that particular moment.


It's more than just that error though. We played like shit that game and would have lost regardless. It's more the fact that he had an OPS of .548. That's lower than Paul Goldschmidt's slugging percentage

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2383
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Has anyone ever watched Cricket?


I think I understand the basics...but Godamn...just stick with soccer. I'd rather learn cantonese than the intricacies of cricket.


I'm already a massive cricket devotee. I maintain a statistical database on it.

Recently baseball has provoked my interest

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:39 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
NotHughGrant wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Has anyone ever watched Cricket?


I think I understand the basics...but Godamn...just stick with soccer. I'd rather learn cantonese than the intricacies of cricket.


I'm already a massive cricket devotee. I maintain a statistical database on it.

Recently baseball has provoked my interest


If you like statistics...man is baseball the sport for you.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
James, Blonde, KW: do you guys like any of the advanced sabermetric stats? Do you use any of them in evaluating the value of a player? Or are you fine with the good ol' slash line and... whatever the equivalent of slash line is for pitchers?

Also, if you had a hall of fame ballot, which way do you go? I'm newish to baseball so I'm not nearly as informed on the topic as I could be, but it's a fascinating subject with all of the steroid and maybe steroid users on the ballot.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Pedro wrote:
James, Blonde, KW: do you guys like any of the advanced sabermetric stats? Do you use any of them in evaluating the value of a player? Or are you fine with the good ol' slash line and... whatever the equivalent of slash line is for pitchers?

Also, if you had a hall of fame ballot, which way do you go? I'm newish to baseball so I'm not nearly as informed on the topic as I could be, but it's a fascinating subject with all of the steroid and maybe steroid users on the ballot.


If there's a political spectrum of statistics, with sabermetrics on the left and old-schools AVG/HR/RBI on the right, then I'm center-left. I like OBP and SLG a lot, I like ERA and WHIP, and while I'm very skeptical of WAR I also know that pitching wins and batting averages are of limited value.

As for the HOF ballot, I'm pretty cautious. I don't think that it's the Hall of Nice Guys, but I also don't particularly want to have to read a plaque describing Barry Bonds' achievements. And in no way is Jack Morris a HOFer.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr