Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2467
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:

^^^grant: movie and TV actors have a long history of not crossing over in major ways. That hasn't been true in every case, but it holds up most of the time. I don't see Cranston pulling a Jennifer Anniston. I don't have context enough to make statements that are specific of the show, but IMO the scenes I've seen are enough to form an opinion on the actors ability to be intimidating In the context of going up against cavill as lex Luthor.


The only thing he'd need to do to 'pull an Anniston' is play himself in a series of really bad films.

And I disagree, Cranston could totally be intimidating going up against Cavil (or anyone) if given both a decent script and fitting direction. The latter of which he wouldn't get under Snyder anymore than Merchant & Ivory could have made Die Hard.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1709
Post Re: General Movie News
Fair enough, I see your point.

Re: Dawn of the Apes...I'm looking forward but I don't expect it to be as good as Rise. I wish Rupert Wyatt had stayed on. We'll see.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:50 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2467
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: General Movie News
Not that I don't like Snyder, he's good at what he does. But I feel some characterisations are beyond his typical range as a director.

I look forward to him proving me wrong some day.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1709
Post Re: General Movie News
NotHughGrant wrote:
Not that I don't like Snyder, he's good at what he does. But I feel some characterisations are beyond his typical range as a director.

I look forward to him proving me wrong some day.


Do complex, deep characters need to be a part of every movie? I don't see that as the crux of the artform. It's good sometimes, but not always necessary IMO.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:37 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2467
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: General Movie News
The issue is that a Lex Luthor who is culturally resonate to today's world, requires more subtlety and depth than I've ever seen Snyder deliver.

It isn't a rampaging lunatic Zod; or a 9 feet Xerxes.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
NotHughGrant wrote:
The issue is that a Lex Luthor who is culturally resonate to today's world, requires more subtlety and depth than I've ever seen Snyder deliver.

It isn't a rampaging lunatic Zod; or a 9 feet Xerxes.

I disagree, I think his characterizations are fantastic, especially in Watchmen.

Also love Anniston's films and not really imperative for me if Cranston gets the role and I think it's just a rumor anyways.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:40 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 432
Post Re: General Movie News
Expendables 3 teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXkXJ1fPuk


Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: General Movie News
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The issue is that a Lex Luthor who is culturally resonate to today's world, requires more subtlety and depth than I've ever seen Snyder deliver.

It isn't a rampaging lunatic Zod; or a 9 feet Xerxes.

I disagree, I think his characterizations are fantastic, especially in Watchmen.


Any good characterization in Watchmen is primarily due to the source material, which is excellent. Snyder's films are very low on subtlety.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
New cinematographer already looks like an improvement just from three shots :?


I wonder about why there is a change, but it seems the old one goes off to have his own directorial debut with Transcendence.

It turns a bit goofy towards the end, but could be fun. At least Depp doesn't have to mug for Burton or Verbinski for once.


Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Fast & Furious 7 delayed back to April 10, 2015.

That year is really bursting at the seams.


Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:49 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Image


Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 649
Location: The Desert
Post Re: General Movie News
Should there be a spoiler warning with that cover? I haven't read the book, just being cautious.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Hmm, I imagine this must have been approved by Fincher himself so I think you're fine. Having read the book, I find the picture a little funny, and I'm speculating that it will be for something in the film that will neither confirm nor denied anything, honestly. It's a hard book to adapt too, so Fincher might even change a few things.


Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 649
Location: The Desert
Post Re: General Movie News
Okay, cool. No worries then. I was just slightly concerned because so far I only know the bare minimum of details, and the cover seemed to point to something more definitive.

Very striking image, by the way. Definitely one of my more anticipated films this year.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1415
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
And it seems the EW article says that the third act of Gone Girl will be very different from the book, done by Gillian Flynn herself.

On one hand, disappointing. The ending of the book is the hardest thing to translate on screen, but would be kind of awesome if Fincher manages it. On the other hand, now I can be as surprised by stuff as the ones who haven't read it (like how Game of Thrones smuggled in a surprise last year), and it's written by the book's writer herself.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Peter Mayhew tweeted a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos from the original Star Wars movies and they're just awesome.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 372
Post Re: General Movie News


Best post of the year.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:31 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1046
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: General Movie News


Funny thing is that when you link to it on Facebook, it automatically shows the pic of Carrie Fisher and her double, both clad in Leia Slave outfits.

Gigg.... you know the rest. :D

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Yeah, you know, Facebook usually lets you select from multiple thumbnails, but it doesn't in the case of this article.

Strange how they default picked the best one!

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 928
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: General Movie News
What about the idea of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing Lex Luther?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/01/ ... ie-in-2014


Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr