Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Producer

Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:

^^^grant: movie and TV actors have a long history of not crossing over in major ways. That hasn't been true in every case, but it holds up most of the time. I don't see Cranston pulling a Jennifer Anniston. I don't have context enough to make statements that are specific of the show, but IMO the scenes I've seen are enough to form an opinion on the actors ability to be intimidating In the context of going up against cavill as lex Luthor.

The only thing he'd need to do to 'pull an Anniston' is play himself in a series of really bad films.

And I disagree, Cranston could totally be intimidating going up against Cavil (or anyone) if given both a decent script and fitting direction. The latter of which he wouldn't get under Snyder anymore than Merchant & Ivory could have made Die Hard.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 am
Director

Fair enough, I see your point.

Re: Dawn of the Apes...I'm looking forward but I don't expect it to be as good as Rise. I wish Rupert Wyatt had stayed on. We'll see.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:50 am
Producer

Not that I don't like Snyder, he's good at what he does. But I feel some characterisations are beyond his typical range as a director.

I look forward to him proving me wrong some day.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Not that I don't like Snyder, he's good at what he does. But I feel some characterisations are beyond his typical range as a director.

I look forward to him proving me wrong some day.

Do complex, deep characters need to be a part of every movie? I don't see that as the crux of the artform. It's good sometimes, but not always necessary IMO.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:37 am
Producer

The issue is that a Lex Luthor who is culturally resonate to today's world, requires more subtlety and depth than I've ever seen Snyder deliver.

It isn't a rampaging lunatic Zod; or a 9 feet Xerxes.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
The issue is that a Lex Luthor who is culturally resonate to today's world, requires more subtlety and depth than I've ever seen Snyder deliver.

I disagree, I think his characterizations are fantastic, especially in Watchmen.

Also love Anniston's films and not really imperative for me if Cranston gets the role and I think it's just a rumor anyways.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Expendables 3 teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXkXJ1fPuk

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I disagree, I think his characterizations are fantastic, especially in Watchmen.

Any good characterization in Watchmen is primarily due to the source material, which is excellent. Snyder's films are very low on subtlety.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
New cinematographer already looks like an improvement just from three shots :?

I wonder about why there is a change, but it seems the old one goes off to have his own directorial debut with Transcendence.

It turns a bit goofy towards the end, but could be fun. At least Depp doesn't have to mug for Burton or Verbinski for once.

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 am
Director

Fast & Furious 7 delayed back to April 10, 2015.

That year is really bursting at the seams.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:49 am
Director

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am
Cinematographer

Should there be a spoiler warning with that cover? I haven't read the book, just being cautious.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Hmm, I imagine this must have been approved by Fincher himself so I think you're fine. Having read the book, I find the picture a little funny, and I'm speculating that it will be for something in the film that will neither confirm nor denied anything, honestly. It's a hard book to adapt too, so Fincher might even change a few things.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 pm
Cinematographer

Okay, cool. No worries then. I was just slightly concerned because so far I only know the bare minimum of details, and the cover seemed to point to something more definitive.

Very striking image, by the way. Definitely one of my more anticipated films this year.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Director

And it seems the EW article says that the third act of Gone Girl will be very different from the book, done by Gillian Flynn herself.

On one hand, disappointing. The ending of the book is the hardest thing to translate on screen, but would be kind of awesome if Fincher manages it. On the other hand, now I can be as surprised by stuff as the ones who haven't read it (like how Game of Thrones smuggled in a surprise last year), and it's written by the book's writer herself.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 am
Producer

Peter Mayhew tweeted a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos from the original Star Wars movies and they're just awesome.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Best post of the year.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:31 pm
Director

Funny thing is that when you link to it on Facebook, it automatically shows the pic of Carrie Fisher and her double, both clad in Leia Slave outfits.

Gigg.... you know the rest. :D

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm
Producer

Yeah, you know, Facebook usually lets you select from multiple thumbnails, but it doesn't in the case of this article.

Strange how they default picked the best one!

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm
Assistant Director

What about the idea of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing Lex Luther?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/01/ ... ie-in-2014

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next