Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Steven wrote:
Apparently, WB wants Phoenix for Lex Luthor.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warne ... 5/?_r=true

OMG NO GUYS HELL NO THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA BECAUSE _________________________

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 pm
Director

Intriguing, offbeat choice that could work. Still want Bryan Cranston though.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
Steven wrote:

I think it's a pretty good idea.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 pm
Producer

peng wrote:

Cranston is nowhere near intimidating enough. Argo is pretty much the fullest potential I see him for in a movie. Phoenix is intriguing though.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Steven wrote:

I think it's a pretty good idea.

It was a joke. The point is that complaints by hardcore comic-book fans are so arbitrary that you can pretty much fill in the blank with anything. As for me, I don't really care anymore who's cast in these movies.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:55 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Cranston is nowhere near intimidating enough. Argo is pretty much the fullest potential I see him for in a movie. Phoenix is intriguing though.

Well I know of your disdain for TV shows in general so I hate to bring this up, but his phenomenal work in Breaking Bad (and he's very, very intimidating) makes him my most preferred choice that I can think of right now for the role. His Argo character isn't exactly a role that calls for anything much, but he makes the best use of it I think.

I'll be surprised if Phoenix accepted, given his attitude towards Hollywood.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 pm
Director

And in other news, Paul Rudd is in early negotiation to star as Edgar Wright's Ant-man (although why the article reports it as a confirmed thing I don't know). Now I haven't any familiarity with the comic book so I might be hilariously wrong, but I though when Wright signed on that he would bring Simon Pegg with him.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 pm
Director

Dat cast. And between this and Snowpiercer, Tilda Swinton has been getting addicted to some grotesque, unrecognizable make-up lately.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:40 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
peng wrote:

Not intimidating enough?!!! You have obviously never seen Breaking Bad.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:54 am
Producer

peng wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Well I know of your disdain for TV shows in general so I hate to bring this up, but his phenomenal work in Breaking Bad (and he's very, very intimidating) makes him my most preferred choice that I can think of right now for the role. His Argo character isn't exactly a role that calls for anything much, but he makes the best use of it I think.

I've seen scenes of him in breaking bad and he's not intimidating at all in my opinion. It seems to be that breaking bad fans just want him as Luthor to justify their worship of him.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:16 am
Director

Yeah "scenes of him", much like knowing a few plot points from a book or reading some reviews, are not going to cut it as a legitimate appraisal, especially given that his character is a complex individual who is slowly built from season 1 up, so he is not going to "villain-out" all the time.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:20 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
It seems to be that breaking bad fans just want him as Luthor to justify their worship of him.

No Breaking Bad fan on Earth wants him as Luthor for this reason.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:24 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Yeah "scenes of him", much like knowing a few plot points from a book or reading some reviews, are not going to cut it as a legitimate appraisal, especially given that his character is a complex individual who is slowly built from season 1 up, so he is not going to "villain-out" all the time.

Yeah actually I think it is going to cut it pal. Consuming endless amounts of media and giving 8s and 9s to every bit of it (liking everything you see) doesn't exactly cut it for you having any authority on this subject at all especially when the Cranston rumor was created by the breaking bad fans of the Internet and has no basis from anything said by Snyder or anyone associated with WB.

^^^^Ken - I personally know one who does.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:27 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
^^^^Ken - I personally know one who does.

That's impossible, because I said "no Breaking Bad fan on Earth" which obviously means I have met every Breaking Bad fan on Earth and discussed this specific subject with them.

Breaking Bad fans (or even fairweather Breaking Bad viewers) almost invariably think of Cranston because he does megalomania well and he can pull off the bald look. Personally, I can see him in the role, but more for his versatility and his ability to do forced congeniality than anything else. I'd rather them go with someone lesser known. Everybody and their mom would look at Lex Luthor and see Walter White.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:50 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
peng wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I've seen scenes of him in breaking bad and he's not intimidating at all in my opinion. It seems to be that breaking bad fans just want him as Luthor to justify their worship of him.

I think this is the problem in a nutshell.

You've only seen scenes, therefore you don't have the sense of context or contrast that one gets with his entire arc had you watched it all.

And plus, I kinda think of Cranston as a TV actor rather than a film actor anyway. He was always going to get greatly increased film exposure after the success of Breaking Bad, but he's unlikely to ever surpass his TV achievements.

That said, I don't think he should be Lex Luthor. But simply to label him as "not intimidating" based on a few isolated BB scenes is folly.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:56 am
Producer

Not everyone has watched breaking bad. I don't think Cranston has the authority for it despite his ability to be unhinged (as in Malcolm in the middle). I prefer the Terry o Quinn rumor, though he may be too old. Cranston is also likely too old for what they want. If the Phoenix thing is true it sounds like they want someone younger, which would make sense. Cranston is interesting in his own way but I don't see him as a cinematic villain. As you imply I don't think he's any Javier bardem. I don't think anyone looked at silva and saw Anton chigurh.

^^^grant: movie and TV actors have a long history of not crossing over in major ways. That hasn't been true in every case, but it holds up most of the time. I don't see Cranston pulling a Jennifer Anniston. I don't have context enough to make statements that are specific of the show, but IMO the scenes I've seen are enough to form an opinion on the actors ability to be intimidating In the context of going up against cavill as lex Luthor.

Last edited by MGamesCook on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Not everyone has watched breaking bad. I don't think Cranston has the authority for it despite his ability to be unhinged (as in Malcolm in the middle). I prefer the Terry o Quinn rumor, though he may be too old. Cranston is also likely too old for what they want. If the Phoenix thing is true it sounds like they want someone younger, which would make sense. Cranston is interesting in his own way but I don't see him as a cinematic villain. As you imply I don't think he's any Javier bardem. I don't think anyone looked at silva and saw Anton chigurh.

His BB persona isn't unhinged. It's scheming, desperate, spiteful and a number of other things. But not unhinged.

In a way he would be a good Lex Luthor. But not under the direction of Snyder. It would take much more subtlety than Snyder's sledgehammer to a walnut MO.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

His BB persona isn't unhinged. It's scheming, desperate, spiteful and a number of other things. But not unhinged.

In a way he would be a good Lex Luthor. But not under the direction of Snyder. It would take much more subtlety than Snyder's sledgehammer to a walnut MO.

Neither Hackman nor spacey were exactly subtle.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:09 am
Producer

Rosenbaum was. And something like his version of the character (the post-Crisis "legitimate business tycoon" version) is the version we're looking at here.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 am
Director

I am not imperative that Cranston must be in the role. It's my preference that he is, but I'm not like frothing that only he can be. When Kevin Spacey took over the role I was not seeing it but he turned out very well (for me at least).

MGamesCook wrote:
Consuming endless amounts of media and giving 8s and 9s to every bit of it (liking everything you see) doesn't exactly cut it for you having any authority on this subject at all especially when the Cranston rumor was created by the breaking bad fans of the Internet and has no basis from anything said by Snyder or anyone associated with WB.

Why does it matter to you that I choose to watch what I think I may like, and also the amount of it (especially this being a movie forum board)? Also, the things that I've watched and disliked (Dexter, The Butler, Kick-Ass 2, to name a few recent examples), I just don't feel like to repeat or randomly bringing them up often. I also didn't demand you to watch all of Breaking Bad; just to rein in the assessment of a role if you haven't seen all of it. Lastly, did I happen to say anything about this having a basis in reality or wanting the rumor to be true? I didn't even know about the rumor. I just saw him in a villain role that he did very well, thought he might pull the role off great, and told the board my preference about it. Didn't know why that has to be brought up in relation to me.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next