Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:46 am

PRISONERS 
Cinematographer

Post Re: PRISONERS
I'll join in with everyone else and say that I was really impressed by this. I'll write about it more later on, but if I had to make one nitpicky criticism, it would be

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the casting of Melissa Leo. She may not be the most recognizable actress, but she does have an Academy Award to her name, and her presence in the film is a dead giveaway that her role will have much more importance than what it initially seems to have. I think the film does a great job misdirecting you with its many different trails, and I didn't connect all the pieces together until near the very end, but there was always that feeling in the back of my mind that she would play an important part in the film's conclusion.

Once again, that's a nitpicky point to make, and it's to the film's credit that the "whodonit" aspects are never really as important as the characters involved in the drama and the questions that come along with their actions.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm surprised and glad that this (seemingly dark and good) film becomes the top grosser for the weekend, with the audience fairly satisfied with the film to boost (B+ Cinemascore). Make me feel good for the general movie goers a bit.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:25 am
Second Unit Director

It is good to see a Canadian director that can put together a solid entertaining genre picture for a change. Having watched too many bad CanCon movies made me leery of watching this movie. The only thing I found odd was Jake Gyllenhaal's strange squinting and blinking all the time. The very closing shot of the movie was interesting in that when the screen went to black some people in the audience began to groan or shout out. I wonder if the director intended that or not.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 pm
Director

Quote:
The only thing I found odd was Jake Gyllenhaal's strange squinting and blinking all the time.

He also mutters a bit and talks out of the side of his mouth. I read some speculation that his character was also abused as a child. At any rate, definitely an introvert.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 pm
Cinematographer

Sorry I'm late to the party here; just saw this last night.

MGamesCook wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I guess the point is that Jackman was wrong on principle but right in this particular case. What Dano says in the parking lot justifies Jackman's 100% certainty. But then, I think the point isn't so much that Jackman becomes a monster. And I suppose the implication is that Dano and Dastmalchian were her only surviving victims? And did the priest do a pity-murder on her husband or did he kill himself?

My response to a couple of your spoiler points/questions:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Not only was Jackman right about Dano's involvement, but at the end of the day he was right in the course of action he took; the writer/director totally justified his actions when Leo said the only reason she took the girls out of the hole was because her "nephew" was missing and she got lonely. If Jackman never kidnaps Dano, Leo leaves the girls in the hole, the black girl never escapes and the girls die. That was a subtle point that totally blew away some of the moral ambiguity of Jackman's actions. That may lessen the film's standing in some peoplke's eyes (but not mine because I was with Jackman. I was also with Gyllenhall which made the scene in the apartment where Jackman is giving "the tour" very tense and interesting.)

As for the priest, he didn't do a "pity murder", he did a vigilante murder. The sanctity of the confessional would have precluded him from going to the police (although in capital crimes, I believe they have leeway to do so....but I'm no seminary student), so he took it into his own hands to stop this monster who vowed to abduct more children in the future. More moral ambiguity since the only reason Gyllenhall was visiting the priest was because he was a registered sex offender.

All in all a very good movie with lots of layers.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 am
Second Unit Director

I think that's the best "genuine thriller" I've seen since The Silence of the Lambs over twenty years ago, which remains the benchmark. It's just so fucking intense from start to finish. There's so many scenes that rekindle tSotL's it's not funny, and that's a good thing. How many films of this genre can keep you on the edge of your seat the way Prisoners does for two and a half hours?

James' review is pretty much spot on, but he's thinking alot more from the critic's perspective than I care to bother about anymore.

By not knowing Melissa Leo is in the film (she's not listed in the opening credits and I didn't recognise her even having watched every episode of Treme) it really threw me when the 'big twist' actually happened, the way a normal movie goer might enjoy it. The whole cast is excellent, but Jake Gyllenhaal is fucking brilliant and displays a range I never thought he was capable of.

Looking forward to Nebraska, Wolf of Wall Street and Inside Llewyn Davis when Australia is deemed worthy of having them released, but this is the film of the year and after repeat viewings possibly the decade so far, sitting alongside Barney's Version and The Skin I Live In.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 pm
Director

wisey wrote:
I think that's the best "genuine thriller" I've seen since The Silence of the Lambs over twenty years ago, which remains the benchmark. It's just so fucking intense from start to finish. There's so many scenes that rekindle tSotL's it's not funny, and that's a good thing. How many films of this genre can keep you on the edge of your seat the way Prisoners does for two and a half hours?

James' review is pretty much spot on, but he's thinking alot more from the critic's perspective than I care to bother about anymore.

By not knowing Melissa Leo is in the film (she's not listed in the opening credits and I didn't recognise her even having watched every episode of Treme) it really threw me when the 'big twist' actually happened, the way a normal movie goer might enjoy it. The whole cast is excellent, but Jake Gyllenhaal is fucking brilliant and displays a range I never thought he was capable of.

Looking forward to Nebraska, Wolf of Wall Street and Inside Llewyn Davis when Australia is deemed worthy of having them released, but this is the film of the year and after repeat viewings possibly the decade so far, sitting alongside Barney's Version and The Skin I Live In.

Bluray out tomorrow, hell yeah.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 am
Director

apparently Villeneuve's new film, "Enemy" is premiering on Direct TV today, with a theatrical release March 14

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:30 pm