Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman? 
Producer

Post Re: Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman?
Well, the unbalanced feeling of Spidey 3 stemmed from several issues aside from the sense that there was just too much material, but I do see what you mean. I would also highlight John Carter as a potentially great film that fell short because they tried to accomplish too much stuff in one go. A feature film is a finite storage space for ideas.

I would imagine that Warner Brothers is making a stealthy attempt to replicate the Marvel model of introducing new characters through cameos in other movies. I don't think we're looking at the Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman movie, so much as the Superman/Batman movie with Wonder Woman as a garnish. Then they hyperlink their way into the real Wonder Woman movie, which might have guest appearances from J'onn J'onzz or the Blackhawk Squadron or whomever.

Not that it's a guarantee that the results will be any better, though. We've seen both hits and misses from the Marvel model. I thought the first Iron Man film did a pretty elegant job of introducing Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the idea of The Avengers without kicking up too much of a fuss over them, but Iron Man 2 was hit hard by the sloppiness and undiscriminating inclusion of too much non-Iron Man stuff. It bloated the plot and made the whole thing feel like an advertising ploy. And The Avengers, the big payoff of the whole exercise, just felt pointless. No urgency, to borrow a word from James Kunz.

In theory, Warners knows what went right and what went wrong and can learn from the mistakes of others ahead of time. In theory.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 pm
Director

I think DC foreshadowed what they were planning to do several years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4

I think the resemblance to Man of Steel is striking.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Well, it has been announced by Zack Snyder that Israeli actress Gal Gadot (from the Fast and the Furious film series) has been cast as Wonder Woman in the next Man of Steel film.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/gal-g ... 00918310/#

So unwindfilms, are you disappointed?

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:27 am
Assistant Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Well, it has been announced by Zack Snyder that Israeli actress Gal Gadot (from the Fast and the Furious film series) has been cast as Wonder Woman in the next Man of Steel film.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/gal-g ... 00918310/#

So unwindfilms, are you disappointed?

I am half disappointed lol

In one hand I am going to see Wonder Wonder for first time in the Cinema but not played by Jaimie Alexander who was my first choice.

Looking forward to see WW in the Cinema thou and try to figure out what Snyder saw in Gal Gadot when she auditioned for the role ;-)

Cheers

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

What's interesting to me is that the announcement read "Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman;" not Gal Gadot as Diana Prince. In the announcement for The Dark Knight Rises, it read "Anne Hathaway to be Selena Kyle;" not Catwoman...(but I get that TDK trilogy was it's own self contained story arc grounded in realism).

So I guess they are straight up going to have Wonder Woman appear from her invisible jet with magic lasso. Although that's pretty much what happened in MOS with not meeting Clark till the very end.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm
Assistant Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
What's interesting to me is that the announcement read "Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman;" not Gal Gadot as Diana Prince. In the announcement for The Dark Knight Rises, it read "Anne Hathaway to be Selena Kyle;" not Catwoman...(but I get that TDK trilogy was it's own self contained story arc grounded in realism).

So I guess they are straight up going to have Wonder Woman appear from her invisible jet with magic lasso. Although that's pretty much what happened in MOS with not meeting Clark till the very end.

There are a few depictions of Wonder Woman (including the latest DC New 52) where she can fly so I wouldn't think that we will get to see the Invisible Plane as in the 70s TV series.

In the current New 52 version she also does not have secret identity

So maybe we will not get to see Diana Prince either

Cheers

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

To the best of my recollection, Wonder Woman has been able to fly under her own steam in most depictions since the mid-1980s. The invisible jet has mostly just made appearances (such as they were) in Silver Age throwbacks like Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth.

I'd count on seeing her traveling under the name Diana Prince, or at least Diana of Themyscira--perhaps not as a "secret identity" per se, but as a civilian identity. The name Wonder Woman is usually reserved for her superhero activities. It'd be a little ostentatious for her to call herself Wonder Woman in her capacity as Themyscira's emissary to America.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
To the best of my recollection, Wonder Woman has been able to fly under her own steam in most depictions since the mid-1980s. The invisible jet has mostly just made appearances (such as they were) in Silver Age throwbacks like Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth.

I'd count on seeing her traveling under the name Diana Prince, or at least Diana of Themyscira--perhaps not as a "secret identity" per se, but as a civilian identity. The name Wonder Woman is usually reserved for her superhero activities. It'd be a little ostentatious for her to call herself Wonder Woman in her capacity as Themyscira's emissary to America.

I think that Ken is right for the New 52 version. Also her Super powers are almost on par (if not the same) to Superman

Quote:
Superhuman Strength
Her level of super strength (as granted to her by Demeter) is comparable to that of the Earth itself (as this is where she derives her powers.) She is thus strong on a level with the strongest other DC’s characters including Superman and Captain Marvel. It is generally accepted that she is not as strong as Superman, but that she is one of the few in the same class as he is. Wonder Woman was even able to take on Powergirl in a hand to hand fight while trying to free her from mind-control. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel were an even match when they fought. On one occasion she even used her massive strength to move the Earth (though this was under duress and aided by Superman and the Martian Manhunter.) With the launch of the new 52 Wonder Woman showed a new strength level while fighting a God, she removes her bracelets and goes into a "berzerker rage" of power. We then find out that Wonder Woman's bracelets are what protects her opponents from her intense power. Wonder Woman had a quick match with Supergirl where we found out that they are close in strength, Wonder Woman over powered Supergirl with her bracelets still on.

Superhuman Speed
Granted by Hermes (God of Messengers), her top speed has never been well documented, but she has shown to be faster than half the speed of light. The Flash has said that Wonder Woman can easily keep up with him and she has been seen keeping up with Flash going faster than hypersonic speed. She has been shown to be on par with some of the fastest characters in the DC Universe such as Jesse Quick. She can disarm human opponents of their weapons instantly and she can immobilize her opponents in the blink of an eye, as she showed when she speedblitz White Martian and Genocide into space in no time and was able to take down Amazo before he could finish a word. She is such a well trained athlete that in combat, her reflexes even surprise the likes of Superman.

Invulnerability/Durability
Granted by Demeter (Goddess of the Earth), in the Pre-52, she is immune to radiation and the coldness of space; she also possesses a high level of resistance against fire and high temperatures, she has been shown taking fire, lava, thermonuclear explosions, hell fire and even superman's heat vision, however, her invulnerability has a vulnerable point against piercing weapons. Wonder Woman can fight with and withstood considerable damage in the form of hand to hand combat with opponents such as Superman and Gods. Wonder Woman possesses a high resistance to damage and magical attacks. Also she was self-sufficient in the fact that Wonder Woman did not have to eat or sleep and could hold her breath under water for hours and hours. This may still hold true in the new 52, Wonder Woman has still shown the ability to fight on with little to no rest or food to replenish her strength.

Flight
Granted by Hermes (God of Messengers), this ability allows her to fly at fast speeds. In the silver age she could not fly and had to rely on the Amazon ability to glide on air currents and her invisible plane. Wonder Woman is able to fly at hyper-sonic speeds able to keep up with Superman.

Healing Factor
Granted by Demeter (Goddess of Earth). In the rare instance when Wonder Woman is harmed, her body heals from any injury instantly without scarring

Martial Combat
Wonder Woman is trained in the a variety of martial arts, making her a master of unarmed and armed combat (even proving adept with pistols.) Even when depowered she is on par with some of the best hand to hand fighters in the DC Universe.

Also some special/magic gear

Quote:
Lasso of Truth
The Lasso of Truth forces people to tell the truth. It was forged by Hephaestus from the Golden Girdle of Gaea that Antiope had once worn. It is able to restore people's lost memories get rid of illusions or cause illusions to those it holds and heal the holder's body cure insanity and protect people who are in close proximity to it from magical attacks.

Bracelets of Victory
With the launch of the new 52 the golden age bracelets are brought back. Wonder Woman removes her bracelets and go into a "berzerker rage" of power. Wonder Woman's bracelets are what protects her opponents from her intense power in the New 52.

Finally at difference of Batman and Superman in the modern version of the character is known to use lethal force when she deems it necessary.

I think that she can be rather cool in the movies without being cheesy

Attached is a picture of Australian Megan Gale (5' 11" - 1.80 m) who was announced and hired to portray Wonder Woman in a cancelled 2007 Justice League movie.

Megan almost made it but now Gal seems very likely to come true

My best wishes to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and looking forward to see her in Batman/Superman !

Cheers

Attachments:
megan_gale_wonder_woman.jpg
megan_gale_wonder_woman.jpg [ 54.26 KiB | Viewed 534 times ]

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Producer

The lethal force thing does make her stand out in the crowd of classic superheroes, but I worry that people make too much of it. Certain writers, very sloppy ones, have depicted her as downright bloodthirsty. They rather miss the point that she comes from a culture that taught her to love everybody, even her enemies, and that taking a life is her absolute last resort. Those things make for a much more compelling character than a mere coldblooded killer.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
The lethal force thing does make her stand out in the crowd of classic superheroes, but I worry that people make too much of it. Certain writers, very sloppy ones, have depicted her as downright bloodthirsty. They rather miss the point that she comes from a culture that taught her to love everybody, even her enemies, and that taking a life is her absolute last resort. Those things make for a much more compelling character than a mere coldblooded killer.

Indeed. In a nutshell (New 52 version) Wonder Woman is a demigod , daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus (the God) born on Themyscira Island (located in The Bermudas triangle) to a race of Amazon Warriors (A island populated only by woman warriors who procreate by kidnapping lost sailors) , Diana is a princess, an ambassador to the external world and also a warrior. Now, the most important thing is that she went to America to use her divine powers to fight for peace, justice and truth.
:-)

Let's see what Snyder/Goyer make out of it ;-)

Attachments:
WW.JPG
WW.JPG [ 44.86 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I found this interesting article (In special for Goyer/Snyder):

Wonder Woman: Where do You Start?

I really like the New 52 depiction of WW:

Quote:
When DC decided to reboot their universe in 2011, one of the most extreme character makeovers was given to Wonder Woman. Her costume, mission statement, tone, and lineage all changed, but Diana’s bravery and inspiring message stayed the same. Using constant horror imagery and motifs, Azzarrello and Chiang create a dark world around Diana but never dim her spirit, and a Wonder Woman that isn't afraid to kill for the right cause. Make no mistake, the New 52 Diana is no Punisher, but she is an unrelenting force for good in a complex and dark world. Azzarrello redefines the Greek gods, who play a vital role in Diana’s origins, giving them an aloof alien like resonance. By introducing some truly disturbing horror elements to Wonder Woman’s world, Diana shines all the brighter.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Another question mark is if WW will wear pants or not?

Initially in the new 52 she came wearing pants and this look had mixed response from fans, ultimately DC changed back to shorts (See attachments).

What do you reckon Zac Snyder will choose? Or will he come up with something new? Any opinions?

Attachments:
WW New 52.jpg
WW New 52.jpg [ 7.95 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]
ww-new-costume-comics-vertical-gallery.jpg
ww-new-costume-comics-vertical-gallery.jpg [ 16.65 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

My biggest concern about Wonder Woman, regardless of which actress is playing her, is that she will be shoehorned into Man of Steel 2, setting up the stage for the Justice League film. I personally think that given time constraints, there just isn't any way for Wonder Woman to be portrayed as anything other than a secondary character.

Yes, one could make the same claim about Batman, but at least we have had several film incarnations of Batman, so audiences have at least some idea of what to expect of the Dark Knight. The last time that viewers have seen Wonder Woman was on TV with Lynda Carter back in the 70s/80s. My preference would have been for Wonder Woman to have her own stand-alone movie -- an origin story, if you will -- in a manner similar to what was done for Thor and Captain America prior to the release of the Avengers, or for that matter, for Superman in the first Man of Steel.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm
Producer

I'm sure she'll get her own movie at some point. Her story has a lot of genuine mythology behind it--proper mythology, not Marvel's quasi-mythology. Way too cool to pass up.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Director

Maybe she'll be a prominent supporting presence, like Anne Hathaway's Catwoman? I'd be ok if they introduce the character like that.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:53 pm
Assistant Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
My biggest concern about Wonder Woman, regardless of which actress is playing her, is that she will be shoehorned into Man of Steel 2, setting up the stage for the Justice League film. I personally think that given time constraints, there just isn't any way for Wonder Woman to be portrayed as anything other than a secondary character.

Yes, one could make the same claim about Batman, but at least we have had several film incarnations of Batman, so audiences have at least some idea of what to expect of the Dark Knight. The last time that viewers have seen Wonder Woman was on TV with Lynda Carter back in the 70s/80s. My preference would have been for Wonder Woman to have her own stand-alone movie -- an origin story, if you will -- in a manner similar to what was done for Thor and Captain America prior to the release of the Avengers, or for that matter, for Superman in the first Man of Steel.

I certainly can understand your point clearly. Now, some people forget that for 2015 what Warner Bros had initially planed was a Justice league movie. I know that there are fans like myself that what we want to see is a Justice League film which has been denied before. So what we are seeing evolving is a compromise between Snyder and WB where we will see a set up in the next batman/superman/wonder woman (hopefully with a cool plot) for an official Justice League coming after that.

I agree with Ken , particularly after doing all this late reading about the new 52 depiction of WW that she has become a rather cool character and deserves her own solo movie at some point but no sure if it has to be an origin story.

Origin stories are boring and if you make it repetitive even more boring in my view. How many time we have to see Krypton to be destroyed, Bruce Wayne parents or uncle Ben be killed? lol

I enjoyed very much last year Dredd in particularly because I was spared the origin story and I know more about WW than Dredd ;-)

Cheers

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Ah, but therein lies the rub: we have never seen Wonder Woman's origin story in a movie, and it's a shame, because it's very different from the usual dead parents, lab accident type stuff.

Really, you could make the whole movie out of how Diana was born, left Paradise Island, and came to be Wonder Woman. There's that much story material they could potentially use.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Ah, but therein lies the rub: we have never seen Wonder Woman's origin story in a movie, and it's a shame, because it's very different from the usual dead parents, lab accident type stuff.

Really, you could make the whole movie out of how Diana was born, left Paradise Island, and came to be Wonder Woman. There's that much story material they could potentially use.

I bet the upcoming movie will go into that a little bit, maybe just not for very long.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm
Assistant Director

There are starting to appear fan posters with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

It is not a secret that she was not my first choice or even second choice or.... well let me stop here lol

but now that she is the chosen one, I can hardly wait to see her performance and hope that she as a performer take it very seriously and gives her 110% effort , Goyer as a writer and over all Snyder as a director make justice to the WW character.

Don't mess with WW !

Attachments:
gal_gadot_as_wonder_woman__by_renstar71.jpg
gal_gadot_as_wonder_woman__by_renstar71.jpg [ 46.47 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

^^^^^

I would tongue punch her fart box.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next