Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 am

TV theme tunes that stick in your head 
Auteur

Post Re: TV theme tunes that stick in your head
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
It's almost cliche to say (kind of like saying The Godfather is the best movie of all time)...but Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time. I'd rather watch reruns of the two greatest characters ever written (Kramer and Costanza) for the 1000th time, than any comedy show today.

Meh, I never got what the big deal about that show was, Jerry Seinfeld's type of comedy just isn't my bag. I did like Elaine and Susan, but the other characters just didn't interest me much, give me Big Bang Theory any day.

Oh and I absolutely HATED the series finale, it felt like a huge slap in the face to all the fans of the show
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Having all the main characters end up in jail for no reason(based on the testimony of witnesses saying they are "bad people"), really? That's the best the writers could come up with? :roll: That's just dumb on so many levels
Apart from the finale of LOST, I can't possibly think of a worse way to end a series.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:45 am
Second Unit Director

It's a love it/hate it deal. It tried to be too clever for its own good, but it does nothing to diminish the show for me.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
It's almost cliche to say (kind of like saying The Godfather is the best movie of all time)...but Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time. I'd rather watch reruns of the two greatest characters ever written (Kramer and Costanza) for the 1000th time, than any comedy show today.

Meh, I never got what the big deal about that show was, Jerry Seinfeld's type of comedy just isn't my bag. I did like Elaine and Susan, but the other characters just didn't interest me much, give me Big Bang Theory any day.

Oh and I absolutely HATED the series finale, it felt like a huge slap in the face to all the fans of the show
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Having all the main characters end up in jail for no reason(based on the testimony of witnesses saying they are "bad people"), really? That's the best the writers could come up with? :roll: That's just dumb on so many levels
Apart from the finale of LOST, I can't possibly think of a worse way to end a series.

I've enjoyed Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up. But I never really got into the show itself. I get the jokes. I just don't find them funny. Why I've tried to figure out. I love comedy. I love watching it and writing it. So why am I not a fan of Seinfeld?

The more I thinka bout it, the more I realize that the main reason I didn't care for the show was that it seemed to me to have a kind of smug and self-congraluatory tone. There were individual moments in it that did make me laugh (the Soup Nazi). But on teh whole, the series just didn't work for me. It was better than many of the subpar sitcoms that were popular and still are (Raymond).

As far as finales go, the most controversial will likely always be the Sopranos.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 am
Auteur

I agree, Seinfeld always had that air of smugness, every episode I couldn't help but feel I was beaten over the head with Jerry saying "yeah, we're sooooo much more clever then ANY other show out there"

I'm surprised Raymond lasted so long, but i'll still take it over Seinfeld as it made me laugh more consistently and I found the characters more likeable overall.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I agree, Seinfeld always had that air of smugness, every episode I couldn't help but feel I was beaten over the head with Jerry saying "yeah, we're sooooo much more clever then ANY other show out there"

In another thread...didn't you say you were very fond of The Newsroom? If seinfeld is smug...then Aaron Sorkin is I don't even know...what is a word that is smug * 1000? Every episode Sorkin tries to prove how much smarter and more clever he is than everyone, as he uses the character Will Mcavoy to do it. And I'm not talking about his political bias in the show...I'm strictly talking about the writing. No one is more full of himself or thinks he's more clever, etc...than sorkin. That's just not my opinion either; Sorkin blatantly tells you that through his writing of his characters. There is even a line in The West Wing (which I liked) where Sorkin acknowledges it.

If you didn't find Seinfeld funny fine...I usually can't stand british humor. But to say you don't like that "air of smugness" is the pot calling the kettle black.

Seinfeld at least uses that "smugness" to his advantage. One of the main running jokes of the show is how Jerry, Elaine, and George all are full of themselves, 100% of the time. At the end of each episode, they are always worse off, never win, etc. The only character to ever come out on top is Kramer, and he is the only one that is not full of himself.

Sorkin just really, truly believes he is smarter than everyone, and his characters always triumph.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:13 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

In another thread...didn't you say you were very fond of The Newsroom? If seinfeld is smug...then Aaron Sorkin is I don't even know...what is a word that is smug * 1000? Every episode Sorkin tries to prove how much smarter and more clever he is than everyone, as he uses the character Will Mcavoy to do it. And I'm not talking about his political bias in the show...I'm strictly talking about the writing. No one is more full of himself or thinks he's more clever, etc...than sorkin. That's just not my opinion either; Sorkin blatantly tells you that through his writing of his characters. There is even a line in The West Wing (which I liked) where Sorkin acknowledges it.

If you didn't find Seinfeld funny fine...I usually can't stand british humor. But to say you don't like that "air of smugness" is the pot calling the kettle black.

Seinfeld at least uses that "smugness" to his advantage. One of the main running jokes of the show is how Jerry, Elaine, and George all are full of themselves, 100% of the time. At the end of each episode, they are always worse off, never win, etc. The only character to ever come out on top is Kramer, and he is the only one that is not full of himself.

Sorkin just really, truly believes he is smarter than everyone, and his characters always triumph.
Newsroom and Seinfeld are completely different shows though, so I really don't see what the point is in comparing the two. Anyways Sorkin dosen't really come across as "smug" to me, so to each their own, there's no "pot calling the kettle" anything, it just comes down to personal opinion.

I just don't like the characters on Seinfeld(apart from elaine and Susan) and find them to be too "jerky" to really be likeable

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

I'm surprised Raymond lasted so long, but i'll still take it over Seinfeld as it made me laugh more consistently and I found the characters more likeable overall.

Well, I agree with you that if I met someone like Jerry, Elaine, George, or Kramer in real life at some public place I probably wouldn't care for them too much (which kind of makes their fate in the finale all the more justified, IMO :| ), but given the fact that these are merely fictional characters whom the writers/producers were fully aware that they're not the nicest people in the world is what made it work. Of course, since you've made it painfully clear over the years that you tend to prefer very broad, very soft comedy, it comes as no surprise to me that you don't care for the show.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:26 am
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well, I agree with you that if I met someone like Jerry, Elaine, George, or Kramer in real life at some public place I probably wouldn't care for them too much (which kind of makes their fate in the finale all the more justified, IMO :| ), but given the fact that these are merely fictional characters whom the writers/producers were fully aware that they're not the nicest people in the world is what made it work. Of course, since you've made it painfully clear over the years that you tend to prefer very broad, very soft comedy, it comes as no surprise to me that you don't care for the show.

Well comedy is subjective, so there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes the show was funny(the infamous "contest" episode) but a lot of the time I felt like holding up a sign saying "I don't get it"(I.E. the Puerto Rican day episode, which comes off as somewhat racist and is especially hard to watch after the Michael Richards incident with the heckler,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Also Susan dying from licking toxic envolope glue, how the hell is that supposed to be funny?
)

Also even if they weren't the most likeable characters, they still didn't deserve their fates in the finale, and it was still a horrible and incredibly lazy way to end the series IMO

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:53 pm
Auteur

You can add "King Of Queens" to the "themes stuck in my head" list.

Fri May 02, 2014 2:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
You can add "King Of Queens" to the "themes stuck in my head" list.

Damn good theme song.

Sat May 03, 2014 3:54 pm
Gaffer

"Did I Make the most of loving you" from Downton Abbey & "Where You Belong" from The Fosters

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:58 am
Second Unit Director

Does Roots count.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:08 pm
Producer

Along time ago, we use to be friends.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
A few more.

The Sopranos. Got that one in my Ipod. Got the album "Exile On Coldharbour Lane" by A3 (that it came from originally) and its excellent.

A few older ones:

Hill Street Blues
St Elsewhere
Cheers

And of course:

Cops

Going through Sopranos right now and I have to second that, seems like I can't go one day without humming "Woke Up This Morning".

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:56 am