Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Godzilla (2014) 
Author Message
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Godzilla (2014)
I don't usually start threads for far-off future releases but this one is looking very intriguing. The teaser was all over the web for a few hours before being taken down. Unfortunate, because it was pretty damn cool. Might be still around somewhere. It seems they're giving Godzilla the serious/dark/gritty treatment. It's great though because that's what Godzilla was supposed to be in the first place: a metaphor for the atomic bomb. And this teaser tied it back to that quite powerfully. The somber tone feels fresh and the cast looks great. This is one I won't miss next summer.


Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3591
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
It looks interesting, but I hope it isn't too dark for it's own good. I was one of the few who actually enjoyed the 1998 film(though it probably helps that I saw it before I saw any of the other Godzilla films)


Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
I kinda like the 98 version myself actually.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:01 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
NotHughGrant wrote:
I kinda like the 98 version myself actually.


It was kind of entertaining but wasn't really Godzilla.


Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 416
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
MGamesCook wrote:
It seems they're giving Godzilla the serious/dark/gritty treatment. It's great though because that's what Godzilla was supposed to be in the first place: a metaphor for the atomic bomb. And this teaser tied it back to that quite powerfully. The somber tone feels fresh and the cast looks great. This is one I won't miss next summer.


Given that Gareth Edwards is directing, you'll probably get your wish. Monsters was too on-the-nose for me, but this looks promising for what it is.


Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:59 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 935
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
You can still watch the trailer online, if you try hard enough. It does indeed look impressive and promising. Personally, I found the 1998 film hilariously bad.


Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 215
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
nitrium wrote:
Personally, I found the 1998 film hilariously bad.


Like during the climax when Madison Square Garden was turned into Jurassic Park? :P


Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
nitrium wrote:
You can still watch the trailer online, if you try hard enough. It does indeed look impressive and promising. Personally, I found the 1998 film hilariously bad.


Having to battle Godzilla's offspring was just too much like Jurassic Park with the velociraptors.


Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3591
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:
You can still watch the trailer online, if you try hard enough. It does indeed look impressive and promising. Personally, I found the 1998 film hilariously bad.


Having to battle Godzilla's offspring was just too much like Jurassic Park with the velociraptors.

Eh, I didn't really mind the similarities, I thought the part was pretty cool.


Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
Yo Vex, out of curiosity, how would you compare Snyder's Dawn of the Dead to Anderson's Resident Evil series in general?

It's interesting that they've both referenced each other in the last year. Obviously the beginning of RE5 is a nod to Dawn and Fishburne's line in Man of Steel "I believe you saw something Lois" is a nod to Event Horizon.


Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3591
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
MGamesCook wrote:
Yo Vex, out of curiosity, how would you compare Snyder's Dawn of the Dead to Anderson's Resident Evil series in general?

It's interesting that they've both referenced each other in the last year. Obviously the beginning of RE5 is a nod to Dawn and Fishburne's line in Man of Steel "I believe you saw something Lois" is a nod to Event Horizon.

I never really thought about comparing the two, but I like them both, though I wasn't all that fond of the ending to DOTD.


Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
new trailer tomorrow


Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:10 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1418
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
Trailer y'all.

More of a teaser, but nice use of 2001 music. Also, I love that the cast is populated with very strong actors, while not necessarily famous ones (Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche(!), Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn, Bryan Cranston). Liking the the trend of blockbusters taking the time to cast very well.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
peng wrote:
Trailer y'all.

More of a teaser, but nice use of 2001 music. Also, I love that the cast is populated with very strong actors, while not necessarily famous ones (Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche(!), Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn, Bryan Cranston). Liking the the trend of blockbusters taking the time to cast very well.


Damn it's the same one that leaked months ago. Still looks good.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
Whoops guess its not the same one - never mind.

Anyway, this looks damn good. Can't wait.


Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:40 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1418
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
Beautiful posters so far. Godzilla's more enormous than I expect though.

Image


Last edited by peng on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3591
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
peng wrote:
Beautiful posters so far. Godzilla's more enormous than I expect though.

Image

The image isn't showing up for some reason.


Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2188
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
This movie looks incredibly meh to me. I just can't muster any excitement for it despite the fact that was initially intrigued by this because of the director. He did an incredible job with the very low budget Monsters, so I wanted to know what he would do with a blockbuster size budget. Unfortunately, he chose to do a Godzilla movie, thus killing my anticipation.

I think I would have been more excited about this as a kid. King Kong Vs Godzilla was a childhood favorite of mine. But I'm just not interested in that anymore.


Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)
new trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc


Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1710
Post Re: Godzilla (2014)


So what do people think of this one? To me it looks strange and stylistically unorthodox, but in a good way. Hopefully, and in all likelihood, a very different kind of summer blockbuster from what we've gotten used to lately. Can't wait.


Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr