Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 pm

So I'm going to California, what should I do? Yeeee Yeee.... 
Second Unit Director

Post So I'm going to California, what should I do? Yeeee Yeee....
Well....Auburn fucked up and slipped into the National Championship this year, with the game being played at the Rose Bowl (Cathedral of College football) no less. So far, the bros and I are flying into Vegas and raging for a couple of days...then we plan on renting a car and driving to LA.

All I know is...I'm going to remain being fucked up...and hit on every trina I see. If LA is anything like Entourage, well I can't fucking WAIT!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:20 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: So I'm going to California, what should I do? Yeeee Yeee....
If you like to ski (and/or gamble in nearby Reno) take a side trip to Tahoe and get in a day. Other than that, I've only been out there with the wife and kids. We had fun, but most likely didn't do anything that would be of interest to a young adult. Perhaps a Sideways style trip is in order if there's a designated driver available.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:56 pm
Second Unit Director

I love to snowboard. I know mammoth mountain is an option, and I've always heard great things about Tahoe. Our group right now is split. Some want to spend all their time in CA, while others want to fly into vegas and then drive over for the game. I'm conflicted because I absolutely love Vegas but I've never been to LA. Back in 2010 when we played in Glendale for all the marbles, we flew into Vegas and I won so much that I payed for my entire trip. Maybe my good fortune could return!!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:10 pm
Producer

I wasn't a huge fan of LA, but there are some badass old movie palaces out there and there's usually something great playing. The Egyptian is where I saw 2001 and the dude had the acid freakout. There was a whole Kubrick series running that weekend, and I think they'd had a Scorsese series the previous week.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:16 pm
Cinematographer

Some highly expensive options related to activities you said you enjoy in another thread:

Golf: Torrey Pines is an hour and a half south. Pebble Beach is a few hours north. I've also heard that lots of folk in the Palm Springs area rent their houses and condos out with golf packages.

Salt water fishing: A chance to check out some fish you don't have access to in the southeast.

Also, not sure where the gray whales are in their migration, but maybe an opportunity to go whale watching.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am
Second Unit Director

I just looked over the finances for this trip...it's getting up there, fast. As I said, I love to snowboard, and haven't been in two years, but I've been to almost everywhere in Colorado, as well as Big Sky Montana, so I've been to some of the best snow in the world. I also love to play golf, but I am saving pebble beach for a special "golf trip", and I'll just wait on the mountains a while longer...I don't think they are going anywhere.

As of last night, a buddy went ahead and booked vegas from Jan. 2-4, and a hotel in beverly hills from Jan. 4-8. At this point, I'm mainly interested in some good restaurants/bars. I know the tourist stuff like Universal tour, walk of fame, grauman's theater, etc, and I may get a picture or two at some of those places, but I'm usually not about that. I like checking out the local stuff that you won't see tourists at.

***Oh, and I stress bars not clubs. I can't stand having to do bottle service and $25 beer night while I watch a bunch of quidos wearing affliction shirts and armani button downs dancing to the newest bass nectar.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm
Cinematographer

Unfortunate to this conversation, the last time I did any drinking in LA (I went cold turkey in 2002) was at a really nice bar with a courtyard near what was then (around 1996) the Intercontinental Hotel. Unfortunately I do not recall the name. All I remember is the the bartender made a wonderful black-and-tan with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Murphy's Irish Stout and that the courtyard was very active and had very fragrant gardenias growing in large pots.

The only other place I went that week had an incidental tie-in to the reason you are headed to LA. I went to The House of Blues to see Bo (you don't know Bo) Diddley. :D

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 pm