Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
My Life 
Director

Post Re: My Life
I have something I would like to share with everyone. Recently, my uncle died of a heart attack while on vacation with his family. Back in October, he put the following on my Facebook wall.

"I have a challenge for you.
Hop on Netflix and watch the first two episodes of Breaking Bad. (Pilot and Cat's in the Bag). Watch them back to back, which is roughly 90 minutes. Compare it with other movies you've seen in 2013. See what you come up with."

I'd never seen even one episode of the show, and I was getting tired of it taking up every other post, so I responded by linking to a video of a recent Family Guy episode where Peter is hypnotized into "never stop talking about Breaking Bad."

Obviously, I think we all know what I must do now.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 am
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
I have something I would like to share with everyone. Recently, my uncle died of a heart attack while on vacation with his family. Back in October, he put the following on my Facebook wall.

Hop on Netflix and watch the first two episodes of Breaking Bad. (Pilot and Cat's in the Bag). Watch them back to back, which is roughly 90 minutes. Compare it with other movies you've seen in 2013. See what you come up with."

I'd never seen even one episode of the show, and I was getting tired of it taking up every other post, so I responded by linking to a video of a recent Family Guy episode where Peter is hypnotized into "never stop talking about Breaking Bad."

Eh, I tried to get into that show and it didn't do anything for me, I found all the characters very unlikeable so I didn't give a damn about any of them. I'm just not into these ultra-dark and violent TV shows.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:

It's literally the greatest drama show that I have ever seen. I've watched every episode at least twice. I say that having seen the following (I will only list shows that have ended).

The Sopranos
The Wire
Rome
Deadwood
Dexter

Oh...and big fucking surprise that Vexer doesn't like something that people rave about.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:47 pm
Auteur

Big surprise that you have a problem with other people not agreeing with your own opinions. :roll:

Like I said I gave the show a chance, but it's hard to get invested when you just don't care one bit about any of the characters.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:27 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Big surprise that you have a problem with other people not agreeing with your own opinions. :roll:

Like I said I gave the show a chance, but it's hard to get invested when you just don't care one bit about any of the characters.

How much did you watch? As the show progresses, you see different aspects of the characters. Some become very sympathetic. The writing as a whole is excellent. I suggest giving it another shot.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

How much did you watch? As the show progresses, you see different aspects of the characters. Some become very sympathetic. The writing as a whole is excellent. I suggest giving it another shot.

I watched a few episodes of the first and second seasons, I guess maybe i'll try some from the later seasons i'm bored enough.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I watched a few episodes of the first and second seasons, I guess maybe i'll try some from the later seasons i'm bored enough.

Literally every episode starts where the previous one ended. You have to start from the beginning. BB aint fucking Law and Order or CSI.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:07 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Eh, I tried to get into that show and it didn't do anything for me, I found all the characters very unlikeable so I didn't give a damn about any of them. I'm just not into these ultra-dark and violent TV shows.

What's unlikable about Walt in the beginning?

A devoted, intelligent and friendly family man, under financial hardship and has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Unlikable - fucking hell! You display a sociopathic lack of empathy

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:18 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

What's unlikable about Walt in the beginning?

A devoted, intelligent and friendly family man, under financial hardship and has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Unlikable - fucking hell! You display a sociopathic lack of empathy
Whoa dude, chill out! :shock: What's with all the animosity? :?

I know I should've cared about his sob story, but for whatever reason I just didn't, not sure whether that's due to the acting or the writing or both, either way i'm just not rooting for him the way the creators want me to.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 am
Producer

I'm not intending any animosity.

But I don't understand how you can't have any sympathy for the early Walter White.

Perhaps you lack the requisite life-experience and its associated fears.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:18 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
I'm not intending any animosity.

But I don't understand how you can't have any sympathy for the early Walter White.

Perhaps you lack the requisite life-experience and its associated fears.

I started losing what little sympathy for him I may have had in season 2.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:28 pm
Director

Walter White is such a well written character. He inspires sympathy but also equal amounts of disgust. The writers constantly play with the viewer's emotional strings every time he's on screen. It's one of the best things about Breaking Bad.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm
Director

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19