Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:49 am

unwindfilms presents his 3d blu ray collection 
Assistant Director

Post Re: unwindfilms presents his 3d blu ray collection
The Great Gatsby (2013): An Australian-American production based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel of the same name. Shot natively in 3d using RED EPIC cameras with 3ality Technica 3D rigs. Director Baz Luhrmann used a mixed Immerse - Fancy 3D technique. Leonardo Di Caprio and Tobey Maguire are well cast here not so much Carey Mulligan and Elizabeth Debicki (I prefer her Blonde ;-)) but in general I liked this version more than the one in 1974 with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow
IMDB : 7.3 (138,362 votes)
Tomatometer: 49% (253 reviews)
Box Office: $348,840,419
Production Cost: $105 Million
My Score: 3 Stars

Attachments:
Gatsby.jpg
Gatsby.jpg [ 24.89 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012) : The 2011 California Dreams tour on stage was shot natively in 3d using 3ality Technica rig and EPIC cameras ,the film also features interviews with Perry and her loved ones documenting the trajectory of her life which was shot in 2D and converted to 3D , the same for some archive footage. Directors Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz mainly used an immerse technique. I love Katy Perry songs and bubble personality so I really enjoyed this. The 3D when she is singing on stage is very good!
IMDB: 5.5 (9143 votes)
Tomatometer: 78% (85 reviews)
Box Office: $32,726,956
Production Cost: $12 Million

Attachments:
Katy Perry.jpg
Katy Perry.jpg [ 25.87 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Life of Pi deserves 4 stars IMO. Both the 3D and the movie itself. Amazing movie, amazing 3D. Best use of 3D in any movie I have ever seen, yes, including Gravity. Gravity is in second place.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 am
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Life of Pi deserves 4 stars IMO. Both the 3D and the movie itself. Amazing movie, amazing 3D. Best use of 3D in any movie I have ever seen, yes, including Gravity. Gravity is in second place.

I gave Life of Pi 3 3/4 stars out of 4 which it is excellent ,as close to perfect as you can get, maybe a 4 If I watch it again lol. Now I watched Avatar 3 times in the Cinema and when I bought my 3D TV which it is not Panasonic (This brand had an exclusive deal to provide Avatar 3D for a year in Australia If you buy the TV) , forced me to buy the 3D blu ray in China and since then I have seen it many times, maybe because I like the genre of sci/fi very much and also a big fan of James Cameron :-). I saw Gravity 3D in the Cinema and I was blown away (in fact , I have seen it twice, one in Gold Class) . I am just waiting to be out in 3D blu ray to add it to my collection and watch it again in my home to include my review here :-)

As today, I own 90 3D blu rays 8-) but as I wrote in my first post , I do not intent to write a review of every one here, tiresome for me and also the readers lol . Only for the one that I feel motivated. For sure, the ones I feel that are very good will be here :!:

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Beauty and the Beast (1991) :This 1991 film was converted to 3D under the supervision of John Lasseter and returned to theatres on January , 2012. Originally directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise. This tale was already excellent in 2D and the exceptional good 3D conversion was like the icing on the cake for me . Loved it!
IMDB : 8.0 ( 197,602 votes)
Tomatometer: 93% (101 reviews)
Production cost: 25 million (1991) plus 10 million (3D Conversion)
Box Office: $424,967,620 (total, 1991 component without inflation adjustment,only in 2012 made $47 million)
My Score: 4 Stars

Attachments:
B & B.jpg
B & B.jpg [ 22.46 KiB | Viewed 402 times ]

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Gravity (2013) : An American/British Science fiction Space thriller with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as a medical engineer and mission commander, both astronauts left adrift in space after a catastrophic accident. Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron uses an immerse 3D technique. The computer generated footage was stereo rendered and the rest converted to 3D in post- production. It was not shot in 3d due mainly the techniques used to simulate Bullock and Cooney in Space. However Cuaron choreographed scenes thinking that the film to be shown in 3D as preferred format, in fact some shots were even thinking in IMAX 3D. Chris Parks supervised the 3D and British Tim Webber was the VFX chief with his company Framestore. I love this movie! I have seen it twice in the Cinema and one at home. I will see it again this Sunday with my daughter 8-)
IMDB: 8.2 from 298,472 votes
Tomatometer : 97% from 299 reviews
Box Office: $703,675,323 (worldwide)
Production cost: $100 millions
My Score: 4 Stars

Attachments:
Gravity.jpg
Gravity.jpg [ 11.79 KiB | Viewed 322 times ]

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Top Ranking by Score (up to this point)

Note: My score is a mix given primarily based on the use and execution of the 3D and secondarily on the story/performances and the maximum is 4 Stars.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 : The rise of Electro (2014): Andrew Garfield plays the Marvel hero very good again close to the comics and this time faces 3 villains with Electro having the most screen time. Director Marc Webb uses primarily a fancy 3D technique (even the movie was filmed in 35 mm , Webb choreographed very good 3D scenes which were heavy in CGI using 3d models, the rest of the film was 3D post-converted). Garfield and Stone give excellent performances and the action scenes with spider-man are breath taking in 3D, however, the movie is overstuffed with over abundance of characters and some times unfocused narrative.
IMDB: 7.1 (from 160,826 votes)
Tomatometer : 53% (from 255 reviews)
Production Cost : $200 millions
Box Office: $708 millions

Attachments:
ASM2.JPG
ASM2.JPG [ 26.97 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

The Edge of Tomorrow (2014): Based loosely on the Japanese light novel "All You Need Is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, Director Doug Liman (Bourne Identity, Mr & Mrs Smith) mix one of my favourite comedies of all time (Groundhog Day) with my favourite genre (Science fiction) in a masterful way and with Tom Cruise (initially in Jerry McGuirre mode to finish in Mission Impossible one) , Emily Blunt in a bad ass role and to round it up awesome support cast in Brendan Gleason and Bill Paxton with very high entertaining results. The Director Doug Liman used a fancy 3D technique although shot originally in film , it was converted to 3D by the same team of Gravity which guaranteed high standards in its final quality . I really enjoyed this movie and I have seen it many times which allowed me to discuss it in deep detail with my friends. Happy to keep the discussion here for any one interested :)
IMDB : 8.0 (from 174,327 users votes)
Tomatometer : 90% (from 241 reviews)
Production Cost: $176 Million
Box Office: $369,206,256 Million
My Score: 3 1/2 Stars

Attachments:
Edge of tomorrow.JPG
Edge of tomorrow.JPG [ 37.12 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:28 am
Profile WWW