Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Early reviews of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug are positive 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Early reviews of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug are positive
Most of the critics so far are saying it's much improved over An Unexpected Journey (that is if you were disappointed with that film).

Looking forward to James' review. I thought there was an embargo on reviews until Dec. 8, but oh well. I think James, at best, will give it 3.5 and at worst a 3.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hob ... _of_smaug/

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-new ... 00723.html

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm
Producer

Post Re: Early reviews of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug are positive
In my view, the only one of those critics worth giving a crap about is McCarthy. He likes it, so that's a good sign.

And it has Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch together again, so that's another good sign.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:09 pm
Director

Agreed with Ken about McCarthy.

I didn't expect it to be finally in theater so soon though. That means I have to hurry up and see Snowpiercer and Like Father, Like Son before they get chased away by Smaug.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 pm
Assistant Director

"Improvement" seems to be the theme here, so that's a great sign. I also had a hunch when I noticed the running time is 2 hrs 40 min; hopefully that means better pacing.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 pm

KWRoss wrote:
"Improvement" seems to be the theme here, so that's a great sign. I also had a hunch when I noticed the running time is 2 hrs 40 min; hopefully that means better pacing.

Well with all the introductory stuff out of the way in Unexpected Journey the sequel can go full speed ahead.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:45 pm
Director

ck100 wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Well with all the introductory stuff out of the way in Unexpected Journey the sequel can go full speed ahead.

The trailers look promising. It still seems too long for the material, but that may be more of a problem in part 3, because there's maybe 45 minutes of material to do.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:18 pm
Cinematographer

I, for one, was severely disappointed with An Unexpected Journey. So much so, that I doubt I'll bother with Desolation. Too long and boring, and a definite absence of the "magic" of the The Lord of Rings films. Also I VERY much doubt that this will have great pacing at 2:40(!!!) - imo that would be an oxymoron (there are exceptions of course), but given that the source material is factually thinner than any ONE of the LotR books... Jackson (or PJ as he is affectionately known as here in NZ) has developed a hubris that everything he puts on screen is golden - the ridiculous padding of his (needless) King Kong remake is (another) case in point that this isn't always so. His first Hobbit movie was pretty much a stinker, in so far as you can fuck up source material that good. The entire "The Hobbit" project should have been a SINGLE film of ~2 hrs to equal the pacing of ANY ONE of the LotR movies. He has a lot of lost ground to make up for.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:23 am
Producer

Agreed, King Kong is one of the most boring movies i've ever had to sit though, it damn near put me into a coma, there was no reasons it coudn't have had at least 30-40 minutes chopped off.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:01 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Agreed, King Kong is one of the most boring movies i've ever had to sit though, it damn near put me into a coma, there was no reasons it coudn't have had at least 30-40 minutes chopped off.

Agreed, when it starts I'm pumped for the action scenes, but by the time the first one starts I'm too tired to care.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:57 am
Director

nitrium wrote:
I, for one, was severely disappointed with An Unexpected Journey. So much so, that I doubt I'll bother with Desolation. Too long and boring, and a definite absence of the "magic" of the The Lord of Rings films. Also I VERY much doubt that this will have great pacing at 2:40(!!!) - imo that would be an oxymoron (there are exceptions of course), but given that the source material is factually thinner than any ONE of the LotR books... Jackson (or PJ as he is affectionately known as here in NZ) has developed a hubris that everything he puts on screen is golden - the ridiculous padding of his (needless) King Kong remake is (another) case in point that this isn't always so. His first Hobbit movie was pretty much a stinker, in so far as you can fuck up source material that good. The entire "The Hobbit" project should have been a SINGLE film of ~2 hrs to equal the pacing of ANY ONE of the LotR movies. He has a lot of lost ground to make up for.

This trilogy isn't a mere adaptation of The Hobbit, though. Yes, its story is the main backdrop, but to give it a grander scale, plot points from the LOTR appendices that took place roughly around the same time have been added (Jackson and his co-writers are also taking quite a few more liberties from what I've heard as well). So, really, it's more like "The Hobbit PLUS." :|

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 am
Director

Vexer wrote:

Admittedly, it does take a while for the movie to get going but once it does, I thought it was pretty thrilling. Especially when they get to island.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am

King Kong is definitely too long. But I still love it. It's Peter Jackson's love letter to the original. It takes a while to get going, but it ends up being absolutely thrilling by the end. And the scene on the ice? That was just fantastic.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

I was very disappointed in An Unexpected Journey. These early reviews are giving me hope for Desolation.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Admittedly, it does take a while for the movie to get going but once it does, I thought it was pretty thrilling. Especially when they get to island.

By that point I was already half-asleep so I just stopped caring.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:57 pm
Director

Steven wrote:
King Kong is definitely too long. But I still love it. It's Peter Jackson's love letter to the original. It takes a while to get going, but it ends up being absolutely thrilling by the end. And the scene on the ice? That was just fantastic.

The scene on the ice struck me as being pretty silly. Jackson's interpretation of the story is predicated on the idea that the tale is a classical, dramatic myth. I don't think the Kong story has that kind of potential in any context. It was a B movie in its own time, entertaining and efficient but not much more.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm
Director

JB's tweet: "Disappointed by the second HOBBIT movie. Jackson never should have gone for a trilogy. Review tomorrow."

I also have heard that a lot of people really don't like the cliffhanger for this one.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 pm
Director

peng wrote:
JB's tweet: "Disappointed by the second HOBBIT movie. Jackson never should have gone for a trilogy. Review tomorrow."

I also have heard that a lot of people really don't like the cliffhanger for this one.

Ouch. 2.5 stars?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 pm
Producer

Sounds like Jackson let greed get the better of him.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 pm
Director

Any other director I would agree. But from interviews, behind-the-scenes, the movies themselves, and this being Jackson, I am fairly certain that it's the case of a director being far, far too in love and doesn't want to let go, to the detriment of himself and the movies.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:28 pm

But I've seen a lot of the other major critics give this movie a positive review. Oh well. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 am