Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684 ... 786  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Soderbergh is a Director I just can't dig at all. All his films seem flawed to me.

Like a less obnoxious Ridley Scott.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Soderbergh is a Director I just can't dig at all. All his films seem flawed to me.

I find him very hit and miss, Haywire is actually my favorite film of his, Side Effects was pure crap though, i'm dumbfounded as to why critics liked that one so much.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
(I also just know that before Night, Romero really wanted to make a film aping Bergman's The Virgin Spring, called Whine of the Fawn. Wonder what that would look like.)

Perhaps it would have looked like Wes Craven'S 'The Last House on the Left', which is a sort of horror remake of Bergman's movie.

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I find him very hit and miss, Haywire is actually my favorite film of his, Side Effects was pure crap though, i'm dumbfounded as to why critics liked that one so much.

I also find Soderbergh's movies hit and miss, but I actually like 'Side Effects'. It's a preposterous thriller and flawed in its approach to the material, but, in my opinion, it is really entertaining and enjoyable. I like preposterous thrillers.

Anyway, here are the last movies I watched:

The Lone Ranger (2013)
This is an origin story of the masked Old West lawman known as “the Lone Ranger” (Arnie Hammer) and his faithful sidekick, the crazed Amerindian Tonto (Jonny Depp), told in flashback by an octogenerian Tonto, who has become a sideshow attraction.
The Lone Ranger is a character made popular by radio shows, movie serials and a TV series, which I have never listened to or seen, so I have no emotional attachment to the character and wouldn’t know whether this adaptation by the makers of the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise is faithful to its source material. My only previous experience with the Lone Ranger comes as the owner of a Lone Ranger action figure, from which I know that the masked lawman is an expert at canoeing down the perilous stairs in my parents’ home and saving my sister’s Barbie dolls from being eaten by rubber dinosaurs. This plot is only slightly more fanciful than what the filmmakers have come up with, who - not unexpectedly - give this the full ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ treatment: In that franchise, pirates, exotic locations, naval battles and swordfights weren’t deemed sufficiently interesting for a pirate movie, so supernatural elements and CGI effects had to be included and everything was turned up to eleven. Likewise, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski appear to think that Monument Valley, gunslingers and outlaws, Native American warriors and stunts on horseback and steam trains aren’t sufficiently interesting to make a good Western, so every action scene is overblown to the maximum and resembling a rollercoaster ride.Personally, I’ve seen simpler, but much more involving and exciting action scenes in Westerns made 50 years ago. The story is very thin (there is a hint of a romantic triangle, which is conveniently forgotten about later in the movie) and the characters are not interesting either. Arnie Hammer is very bland as the straight guy, but that might be the fault of the screenplay, which doesn’t give him much to do. Jonny Depp plays another of his customary oddball characters, which has become increasingly tiresome (as in the ‘Charlie & the Chocolate Factory’ remake, ‘Alice in Wonderland’ or ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’) and often comes across as merely showcasing irritating ticks. For instance, Depp’s Tonto is sporting a dead crow as his headgear and constantly tries to feed it and it’s not even funny the first time around. To be fair, while Depp isn’t very good, he isn’t exactly bad either and a source of much of the comedy in ‘The Lone Ranger’. And I must admit that, despite of tonal inconsistencies, ‘The Lone Ranger’ is moderately successfully when it comes to comedy. It sets the correct tone early with a very funny slapstick moment and provides a few decent laughs along the way. Therefore, it is an adequate and overall mediocre comedy Western. 5/10

On to another slightly disappointing Western.

Duel in the Sun (1946)
When Half-Indian (as in Native American) Pearl Chavez (Jennifer Jones, inexplicably(*) nominated for an Oscar) is orphaned under dramatic circumstances - her father is executed for killing her mother, whom he caught with a lover -, she goes to live with her father’s cousin (Lilian Gish, also Oscar nominated), the wife of despotic and powerful, but wheelchair-bound cattle rancher Senator McCandles (Lionel Barrymore). Their sons, the well-behaved Jesse (Joseph Cotton) and the hotheaded Lewt (a miscast Gregory Peck), fall in love with Pearl, but she shuns Jesse and is overpowerd by Lewt, with whom whe starts a stormy on-again, off-again affair. Good girls fall for bad boys etc. Things come to a head when the railroad tries to build a railway track through McCandles’s territory, which he tries to oopose by force. Jesse objects to killing unarmed railroad workers and is consequently ostracised from the family, while Lewt insincerely promises to marry Pearl, contrary to his father’s objections, who doesn’t tolerate a “half-breed” in the family.
There is some interesting background information on ‘Duel in the Sun’, which is sometimes called the commercially most successful Western ever, while others point out that, despite of making a lot of money, it barely broke even due to the enormous production costs. Apparently, producer David O. Selznick tried to repeat his success of ‘Gone with the Wind’ and there are some stylistic similarities (as far as I can tell, having never seen all of ‘Gone with the Wind’ in one sitting). Also, like in his 1939 classic, Selznick hired and fired numerous cameramen and directors (including notable names like William Cameron Menzies and Josef von Sternberg) before King Vidor was allowed to complete the picture. These production problems don’t show in the finished movie, though, but there are other weaknesses. First, this is an excessive, overblown meloldrama, resembling the worst of Douglas Sirk’s movies (‘Magnificent Obsessions’ comes to mind). Much of the movie centers on the sex appeal of its leading actress and it had trouble passing the censorships boards despite of significant cuts. Still, the movie was nicknamed “Lust in the Dust” on its release by decidedly unimpressed critics. Second, the acting is absolutely awful. Gregory Peck’s and Jennifer Jones’s performances are exemplary for bad overacting. Peck is never believable as a bad sort. In combination, this makes ‘Duel in the Sun’ ludicrous at times and it could even be “enjoyed” as a so-bad-it’s-good camp classic. On a more positive note, it is a good-looking technicolor movie with some striking scenes. All in all, I found ‘Duel in the Sun’ enjoyable enough to prevent me from rating it as an outright bad movie, but it certainly is a below average one. 4/10

(*) Perhaps the fact that she had an affair with powerful producer Selznick helped her getting a nomination. It can't have been her performance in the movie.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:56 am
Producer

You have to admire Soderbergh for being willing to turn his hand any kind of material he pleases, and for never settling into a rut. He's got one of the most varied bodies of work of any modern director. He's also a director who's good when he's not being great.

_

The Candyman

This one's got some mojo. There are elements of it that never quite click, particularly as the melodrama ramps up, but the starker moments have plenty of suspense. The title villain is an undead man with a hook for a hand. It sounds like the setup for a slasher movie, which the Candyman sort of is, but that isn't the half of it. Virginia Madsen looks like Janet Leigh and acts like Olivia de Havilland in The Snake Pit. By circumstantial evidence, she seems crazy to everyone in her life, but because we're locked into her point of view, we must believe her. The horror, therefore, isn't that she's being menaced by an implacable killer, but that she's made to struggle alone.

Those feelings of loneliness and despair make the movie. The Candyman himself is just the facilitator. Tony Todd is a generally strong actor, but he doesn't have much to do here other than create a sense of irresistible menace--which he does very well. He lets the bright light pour over him, makes himself more sinister than many villains appear in the shadows. He speaks, maybe a little too often, in a reverb-drenched monotone that seems to be coming from everywhere. Perhaps it's a sign of his effectiveness that he's not in the movie very much. It allows the narrative to focus on the Madsen character's troubles and enables Todd to maintain a presence that is felt more than seen.

49 thumbtacks up.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 am
Auteur

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I also find Soderbergh's movies hit and miss, but I actually like 'Side Effects'. It's a preposterous thriller and flawed in its approach to the material, but, in my opinion, it is really entertaining and enjoyable. I like preposterous thrillers.

I like preposterous thrillers myself(Reindeer Games I always found highly underrated) my main issue with Side Effects is that it just wasn't very compelling or interesting. The charcters were too flat for me to care about their fates, and the actors all seemed to be strictly in "paycheck" mode.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:14 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I like preposterous thrillers myself(Reindeer Games I always found highly underrated) my main issue with Side Effects is that it just wasn't very compelling or interesting. The charcters were too flat for me to care about their fates, and the actors all seemed to be strictly in "paycheck" mode.

wut

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:06 am
Auteur

It was actually Unke who said he liked "Side Effects", somehow I messed up my post and it didn't quote him properly.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 am
Second Unit Director

Oh, damn. I was like whaaat? Haha, sorry dude.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 am
Producer

Side Effects is still my favorite movie of 2013.

Soderbergh is one of the consistently enjoyable filmmakers working today. From Out of Sight to Traffic to Erin Brockovich to Ocean's Eleven. I don't understand how anyone can not enjoy Side Effects. Rooney Mara is brilliant. Much better than her okay but overrated performance in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. And Jude Law is equally excellent. There are so many twists and turns in the story, just when you think you have the movie figured out, it pulls the rug from under you and completely changes direction. This happens not just once or twice, but several times. It keeps you guessing till the very end. I love it.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 am
Director

Blancanieves (2013)

A Spanish retelling of Snow White in silent black-and-white... with bullfighting. A few things are gimmicky and contrived, such as a villainous role late in the film who flip-flops his behavior for no reason at all. But overall, it's an incredibly charming film with gorgeous visuals. Some passages are joyful and breathtaking in that unique way that only very well-made silent films can bring. And although it changes the original story a lot, the film doesn't abandon the darkness usual for the Grimms, not the least of which include murder, images of blood, and a stepmother who likes a bit of kinky S&M. The ending is a stunner, managing to be heartrending and hopeful at the same time. 8/10

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
You have to admire Soderbergh for being willing to turn his hand any kind of material he pleases, and for never settling into a rut. He's got one of the most varied bodies of work of any modern director. He's also a director who's good when he's not being great.

Yeah, but it strikes me as diversity for the sake of it. With someone like Kubrick, you got the feeling he would just make a film about what he wanted it to at the time in question. His diversity was organic.

With Soderbergh, it's as if he's deliberately, mechanically trying to be diverse to big himself up.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 am
Director

Rome, Open City

One of the earliest neorealist films, this yarn about Rome under Nazi occupation still packs a hell of a punch. The film's style has been adopted by practically any filmmaker worth their salt, so Open City may, to a novice viewer, seem like a little bit of "been there, done that." But I try to put myself in the shoes of someone who saw this in the 1940s, and I imagine the effect must have been earth-shattering. Worth a watch for historical purposes, and for the fine craftsmanship on display.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:

Soderbergh is one of the consistently enjoyable filmmakers working today. From Out of Sight to Traffic to Erin Brockovich to Ocean's Eleven. I don't understand how anyone can not enjoy Side Effects. Rooney Mara is brilliant. Much better than her okay but overrated performance in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. And Jude Law is equally excellent. There are so many twists and turns in the story, just when you think you have the movie figured out, it pulls the rug from under you and completely changes direction. This happens not just once or twice, but several times. It keeps you guessing till the very end. I love it.

I don't think her performance in Dragon Tattoo was overrated at all, she really blew me away in that film, but in Side Effects she just seemed to be going through the motions(not that I blame her as her character was throughly bland and uninteresting). I also found the plot twists very predictable and trite, I certainly wasn't guessing until the end, I had them all figured out well beforehand so I was impatiently waiting for the film to catch up with me.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:03 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Yeah, but it strikes me as diversity for the sake of it. With someone like Kubrick, you got the feeling he would just make a film about what he wanted it to at the time in question. His diversity was organic.

With Soderbergh, it's as if he's deliberately, mechanically trying to be diverse to big himself up.

I'm okay with this and I'm not sure why I shouldn't be.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:55 pm
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:

Side Effects' morality is really, really queasy. But as a film it's enjoyable enough

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm
Director

Soderbergh strikes me as dry and style-less. His films seem drained of the juice that makes genre films work for me.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:09 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
The charcters were too flat for me to care about their fates, and the actors all seemed to be strictly in "paycheck" mode.

Woah. Strongly disagree. Rooney Mara was freaking fantastic.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Steven wrote:
Vexer wrote:
The charcters were too flat for me to care about their fates, and the actors all seemed to be strictly in "paycheck" mode.

Woah. Strongly disagree. Rooney Mara was freaking fantastic.

Eh, she's done better in many other films, here her character was just too lackluster for her to really be able to do much for me.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:24 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Rome, Open City

One of the earliest neorealist films, this yarn about Rome under Nazi occupation still packs a hell of a punch. The film's style has been adopted by practically any filmmaker worth their salt, so Open City may, to a novice viewer, seem like a little bit of "been there, done that." But I try to put myself in the shoes of someone who saw this in the 1940s, and I imagine the effect must have been earth-shattering. Worth a watch for historical purposes, and for the fine craftsmanship on display.

It's really an amazing film. When you read what they went through to make it, it's astonishing what they were able to do with so little. Rossellini followed it up with Paisà, a six-story film about the war in Italy, which is also excellent. The Florence segment had me on the edge of my seat (and was written by Federico Fellini, who was a co-writer of Rome, Open City).

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Soderbergh strikes me as dry and style-less. His films seem drained of the juice that makes genre films work for me.

Traffic, Ocean's 11, Solaris, and (I admit through gritted teeth) Magic Mike are all pretty damned stylish, even if their style doesn't always reach out and smack you in the mouth. I'm not sure Soderbergh himself has a singular identifiable style, but he makes up for it by selecting stylistic elements to suit whatever he's working on. He's definitely not stylistically flatlined like Ron Howard or actively anti-style like Paul Greengrass.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 678, 679, 680, 681, 682, 683, 684 ... 786  Next