Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680 ... 841  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
His choice of "peaked" over "piqued" didn't hinder his meaning and is therefore perfectly cromulent.

Sorry, James. That was naughty of me.You know you're still my favorite.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:53 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
His choice of "peaked" over "piqued" didn't hinder his meaning and is therefore perfectly cromulent.

Sorry, James. That was naughty of me.You know you're still my favorite.

Point point point

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 pm
Director

Quote:
. He felt like the movie was mean spirited and was more poking fun at the midwesterners than anything. I wonder if he also saw the movie with LA hipsters? My theater seemed full of people 50 and over. I think my girlfriend and I and the 2 guys sitting behind us were the youngest people there.

what was your theater reaction like? did you find it to be a 'very' funny film? or more of a drama?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 pm
Director

Terry Gilliam hinted that he was capable of it for years, and in 2005's Tideland he finally succeeded in making one of the worst films I've ever seen. We have a girl whose mother dies in the opening scenes (the girl is happy because she can eat all the chocolate her mother hoarded), they go to her father's mother's house which has obviously been abandoned for many years (although the father thinks his mother is still alive), he dies of a drug overdose and spends most of the movie decomposing. (Jeff Bridges is much better as a corpse in this movie. His character is unbearable.) The girl starts dressing up his corpse and having conversations with her collection of severed doll's heads and...

Oh, what's the use. It's not just a bad movie, but loudly and aggressively bad, with little to recommend it except some nice shots of wheat fields and some good scenes by Jodelle Ferland as a budding young schizophrenic. You even get suggestions of child molestation, just to round out the rest of the ugliness, and weirdly canted angles just to remind us that Gilliam's seen "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" and learned all the wrong lessons. (1 of 10)

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 am
Producer

Ugh. Gilliam. He's so frustrating, because there's such an appealing streak of whimsy in him that's just begging to be used in something that isn't utter crap.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:27 am
Auteur

Yup, Tideland stands as one of the absolute worst films i've ever seen, i'd sooner sit through the entire Twilight franchise then endure that worthless piece of crap again. It was screwed up on a level that even Freddy Got Fingered could never hope to touch, everything about it was just so wrong that's a wonder nobody ever walked up to Gilliam in a board meeting and yelled "WTF is this shit!"

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:38 am
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
. He felt like the movie was mean spirited and was more poking fun at the midwesterners than anything. I wonder if he also saw the movie with LA hipsters? My theater seemed full of people 50 and over. I think my girlfriend and I and the 2 guys sitting behind us were the youngest people there.

what was your theater reaction like? did you find it to be a 'very' funny film? or more of a drama?

It was fairly mixed. There were people laughing really loud and hard at parts and there were people who were more subdued. Personally, I found it more of a drama with funny parts. Some of the funny stuff was over the top (the graveyard scene) and didn't work that well, but I thought the dramatic element of the film was really well done.

Last edited by PeachyPete on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 am
Director

My first rewatch of a movie from this year, and Spring Breakers climbs up a good deal in my liking (even though I kind of loved it already the first time). 9/10

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am
Director

Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959)

One of those ageless films that still feels really modern. Not everything works: the dialogue becomes almost art-house parody at times in how heavy it is, even though some aspect of it (repetition) has a point. But the performances and their chemistry are very strong, and it's such a beautiful film, full of lyrical visuals mixed with music in a dream-like logic. The third act where the two lovers wandered around late-night Hiroshima especially resonates. The film also structures its narrative around the theme of memory's elusive nature rather wonderfully. 8/10

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:07 am
Cinematographer

Late Spring - This 1949 film is my fourth experience with the work of Japanese master Yasujiro Ozu. At this point, I feel I've become accustomed to the director's uniquely sparse filmmaking, yet with every viewing I come away marveling at the complexities that emerge from what initially seems like an incredibly simple approach. His films almost always concern themselves with the dynamics of family and the different outlooks on Japanese life between generations, but the specifics between each entry are given subtle changes, both in character and in tone. Occasionally, as in his most famous film Tokyo Story, he will touch on matters as big as life and death, but more often he focuses on smaller but no less compelling scenarios. Late Spring revolves around Shukichi (Chishu Ryu) and Noriko (Setsuko Hara), a father and daughter living a comfortable life together in the years directly after WWII. The wounds of that earlier time are beginning to heal, and it is decided by busybody aunt Masa (Haruko Sugimura) that a marriage should be arranged for Noriko. This doesn't sit particularly well with the 27 year-old; despite the encouragement to marry by her divorced best friend Aya (Yumeji Tsukioka), Noriko expresses complete contentment with her current life. Shukichi seems equally content, but also understands that it probably wouldn't be best for his daughter long-term if their current situation continued onward.

One could go on forever about the stylistic complexities of Ozu's work in Late Spring, and indeed many detailed analyses have been written by people much more knowledgeable on the filmmaker than myself (hell, there have been spirited debates just on the focus given to an unassuming vase during one critical section late in the film). Even though with Ozu style and content very much inform each other, I'd like to put aside the former for now and just focus on the latter. While Ozu films from my experience tend to have a streak of wistfulness running through them, this is the most melancholy effort I've seen yet from the director. Never has the peeling of an orange been so heartbreaking. From how I see it, this is a story about two happy people forced to put aside their happiness for the traditions of the world. Marriage is more than likely the most sensible decision, but that doesn't stop both Noriko and Shukichi lamenting the dwindling bond between them. Maybe time will heal matters, but that doesn't do much to make the present any less painful. Late Spring tells this story in such a quiet way that it comes as a surprise when the end rolls along and you realize your heart has been ripped apart. 10/10.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Producer

The Hunger Games

The first installment. Done in a TV style, I don't see anything impressive about this. Actually, it's kinda fucked up. And not believable at all. Harry Potter was never quite believable either, but it had no delusions of grand social commentary. It's scary and depressing that Katniss is actually considered a role model.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 am
Director

Like Someone in Love (2013)

After Certified Copy, this is a bit of a disappointment from Abbas Kiarostami. It's still no less than an interesting, involving drama. Its deliberate pace doesn't feel languish because of the long-take, almost hypnotic visuals (the one where a taxi circles a statue is particularly striking) and fine performances all around. The ending can be seen as maybe too abrupt (and abrupt in a "WTF just happen" than "what it all means" way), but coming after such a low-key affair, it's a pretty effective, almost exclamative cap-off that will stay with the viewer. 7.5/10

The Past (2013)

When you made something as momentously great as A Separation, any follow-up is hard not to be deemed as a "let down," and in a way Asghar Farhadi's new drama is. Still, it is more of a compliment to his previous film than a slight to this one, which is one of the year's most absorbing dramas.

First with the negatives: although the characters and cultural context are different, the film repeats the themes and even some narrative techniques of his previous one a little too closely. In fact, this can even be viewed as an alternative-universe sequel to A Separation, what with the story of an Iranian man, Ahmad, coming to Paris to sign divorce papers with his long-estranged wife. She and the kids have moved on since, and she is ready to marry again with another man. Ahmad's coming, however, disrupts the new household's balance and its secrets, especially concerning the new man's past.

As said, there are some overlaps in plot elements, and they are maybe a tad too specific to generate as potent the result, right down to the effects of parents' conflicts on children (even though the kids are more participants than victims in this one). Still, when old tricks are employed effectively with precision, it is hard not to get caught up in the story's thrust. The director still shows the supreme skill with his attention to details and minutia of every day life that capture even the smallest change in behaviors and emotions. And as in A Separation, when the secrets and lies that many hold close to themselves start to collapse, the film has the same power to knock your breath away with its keen insight on human nature. The director also ends his film on yet another perfect note: uncertain, deeply moving, and lingering long on the mind. 8.5/10

Last edited by peng on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
The Hunger Games

The first installment. Done in a TV style, I don't see anything impressive about this. Actually, it's kinda fucked up. And not believable at all. Harry Potter was never quite believable either, but it had no delusions of grand social commentary. It's scary and depressing that Katniss is actually considered a role model.

Why? She's a resourceful person who tries to keep her family alive.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
The Hunger Games

Still just a teenager who specializes in killing other teenagers.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
The Hunger Games

So I assume every soldier is thus ruled out as a hero in your eyes?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 pm
Producer

Oh please. I must have missed the part where American soldiers kill each other in a game show. Give me a break. It's a silly, opportunistic concept to center a teen franchise around. Unlike Harry potter, I see no creativity here. If this is the kind of concept that it takes to move people, we've become way too cynical in a short amount of time.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:42 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Oh please. I must have missed the part where American soldiers kill each other in a game show. Give me a break. It's a silly, opportunistic concept to center a teen franchise around. Unlike Harry potter, I see no creativity here. If this is the kind of concept that it takes to move people, we've become way too cynical in a short amount of time.

How, precisely, is it opportunistic any more than Harry Potter? And while I think neither are incredible examples of creativity, Harry follows a much more traditional narrative arc. That doesn't make it bad by any means, but seems an odd criticism to level here.

MGamesCook wrote:

That's both inaccurate and reductive. The "game show" element is hardly her fault -- it's not something she wants to do or does for excess. Killing doesn't give her joy or come easily. Again, I'm not saying it's a great film, and it's not great social commentary (nor is it trying to be). Katniss cares about people and treats power as a chance to help, not hurt. Hardly a bad role model.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:13 pm
Director

Surprise surprise, consider me among the majority as well. I think Katniss is a terrific female lead to center a franchise around. She volunteers as a tribute to save her sister from certain death, she displays good survival skills, and she does seem to care about others. The second movie develops her even more with regards to how the Hunger Games experience has scarred her. She's light years beyond a certain other YA franchise's lead female character as a role model (I don't think I need to name which one this is :twisted: ).

And sure, the evil government concept isn't realistic or subtle, nor was it intended to be. You can say the same thing about V for Vendetta.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 pm
Director

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Random rewatch, but actually a pretty terrific Thanksgiving movie. It also reminds me again that I need to watch more Wes Anderson (other than this and Moonrise Kingdom). 8.5/10

Last edited by peng on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:07 pm
Producer

But why defend the movie even to this extent if yu don't think it's great anyway? It seems to me that it is trying have some resonance in the area of social commentary. Any story with this subject matter does automatically. Ultimately I'm not criticizing Katniss, I'm criticizing Suzanne Collins. I find myself asking, why does this story need to be told? What is the point? In terms of hypothetical situations, potter was more believable to me. As an experience it was sometimes relatable. But now it's like these YA series are just trying to one-up each other in terms of controversy. Everything is either too violent or too watery and there's not enough middle ground.

I found the PG13ness of the violence is what bothered me most. Just makes it feel inconsequential.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 674, 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680 ... 841  Next