Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry? 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry?
I'm a huge "cryer". Lots of films and TV shows make me cry, so I'll try to keep a short list.

Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
Bridge to Terabithia (which seems to be a popular choice around here)
Up
Toy Story 2-3 (also a popular choice here, it seems)

I'm sure this list could be a mile long, but those are the ones that actually came to mind right now.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Director

CasualDad wrote:
Pretty sure I've never cried from a movie (I can't quite suspend my disbelief that much). When I was young a tear-jerker called "Brian's Song" almost did it. Any movie where a parent loses a young child, in particular a scene from "The Ten Commandments" where the son of Pharoh is dying. Agree with Patrick on "Bridge to Terabethia".

At this time of the year "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" cuts it pretty close for me. "Snoopy Come Home" hit me pretty hard when I was a boy.

Which version of Rudolph is that? The one with paul mccartneys Christmas time almost had me when I was a little kid. But I have to say I also have trouble suspending my disbelief enough to cry.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 am
Producer

Toy Story 3 is on TV right now.

Tissues at the ready. Believe.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:28 am
Critic

Since I've been seriously watching movies (September 2004) I have seen over 2000. Some have made me tear up a little bit (Grave of the Fireflies being a notable one) but only one movie has made me flat out sob:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of a Jewish boy being hidden in a Catholic school during World War II, it builds up a tentative and beautiful friendship between the Jewish boy and one of his Catholic classmates and then (redacted) and you hear a voice on the soundtrack and you realize that it's the director's voice, that this is his story he's telling, and it's just devastating. My poor wife didn't know what to do other than awkwardly pat me on the back as I sobbed.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:48 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Passion of The Christ (at least the first time I saw it) and United 93

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Since I've been seriously watching movies (September 2004) I have seen over 2000. Some have made me tear up a little bit (Grave of the Fireflies being a notable one) but only one movie has made me flat out sob:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of a Jewish boy being hidden in a Catholic school during World War II, it builds up a tentative and beautiful friendship between the Jewish boy and one of his Catholic classmates and then (redacted) and you hear a voice on the soundtrack and you realize that it's the director's voice, that this is his story he's telling, and it's just devastating. My poor wife didn't know what to do other than awkwardly pat me on the back as I sobbed.

This is another good one. And on a similar note (European films of the 80's), Cinema Paradiso is another good example.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Producer

If we were to include television then this past week's episode of Person of Interest damn near got to me. Especially Fusco's speech to Simmons about how Carter saved him from himself. Kevin Chapman nailed that scene. Emmy caliber stuff IMO!

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 am
Auteur

For television I would have to say the final episodes of Friends and Still Standing really got to me.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:29 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

Welcome back, Wisey.

Where you been? Who you been? And with whom have you been seen?

I thought one of your Internet conquest-elects had turned out to be that geezer from Wolf Creek!

Haha, that's funny. A few of the RSVP dates I ended up going on felt like the woman sitting across from me was wondering if I could be a Mick Taylor type character.

The Deer Hunter makes me cry every time I watch it and in several parts. When Robert De Niro drops from the helicopter because John Savage loses his grip is the single greatest display of friendship in any film I've ever seen. De Niro's character knows his friend won't make it, he was weak at his own wedding whilst De Niro was steeling himself, yet he drops instantly to save him. It's clear at the wedding Walken is De Niro's best friend, but the love he has for a fellow friend who grew up in the same small town working at the same steel mill is gut wrenching.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:49 am
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

This is another good one. And on a similar note (European films of the 80's), Cinema Paradiso is another good example.

Yeah except in terms of tone and subject, that's like comparing Eternal Sunshine with Two Weeks Notice

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 am
Director

For television: Recent stuff would be Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias", but a classic that never ever fails to elicit strong emotions for me is Buffy's "The Body." Great, great episode.

Some more films:

The Iron Giant ("...Superman")
Paths of Glory
As some said above, "Say goodbye to Frankie, dad."
Finding Neverland
Before Sunset (car scene and A Waltz for a Night)
Cloud Atlas
Warrior
Braveheart
Dear Zachary

Sad James Bond also does the trick for me ("all the time in the world" and "the bitch is dead").

As for Cinema Paradiso, I was stoic through the theatrical cut (maybe not in the right frame of mood too), but the director's cut really, really does it for me.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Yeah except in terms of tone and subject, that's like comparing Eternal Sunshine with Two Weeks Notice

Nah, but my only segue was them being European films of the 80's :D

Anyway, now that TV shows have been brought...

Fresh Prince (the episode with his dad)
The Shield (Season 5 finale and the series finale)

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Schindler's List has plenty of upsetting scenes. One that gets me is where Schindler is spraying the prisoners on the train to relieve their pain and thirst, whilst the Nazi Officers look on laughing.

The Pianist - the scene where they tip the old man out the wheelchair from a 3rd story balcony. Horrible!

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:34 am

Admittedly, there are not that many movies that have actually been able to elicit tears from me, so any films that are able to do so earns plaudits to me. One shining example I can think of is Cinema Paradiso by Italian director Giuseppe Tornatore (already mentioned in this thread). The scenes from the last half-hour or so of that film are so deeply moving that I could not help but cry, a clear sign of the superb quality of that film.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm
Second Unit Director

There is an embarrassingly large amount of movies that have made me cry. These three though, have made me absolutely break down.

127 Hours
Life is Beautiful
It's A Wonderful Life

Coincidentally, Toy Story 3 is the first film that made me cry. I was 14 years old when it first came out, and it made me realize that film was going to be a large part of my life.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
If I watch anything by myself in the comfort of solitude, I'm way more likely to sob like a little baby.

+1

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Steven wrote:
Coincidentally, Toy Story 3 is the first film that made me cry. I was 14 years old when it first came out,

Sigh.

Anyone know when my AARP card's coming in the mail?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Man, I weep like a baby all the time. Here are some that spring to mind...

Up - that montage...
Old Yeller - c'mon, who doesn't?
Once Were Warriors - wonderfully uplifting film, perfect holiday fare
Grave of the Fireflies - every time
Shawshank Redemption - ditto
Dancer in the Dark - how can you not?
Brian's Song - any man who doesn't cry at this movie has no soul.
Escape from the Planet of the Apes - When Zira tosses the body of her dead baby over the side of the ship, I always lose it.

I cry at happy movies as well, but none come to mind at the moment.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 pm
Second Unit Director

I bet that H.I. would like to know that I cried at the end of Raising Arizona.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Which version of Rudolph is that? The one with paul mccartneys Christmas time almost had me when I was a little kid. But I have to say I also have trouble suspending my disbelief enough to cry.

The only one I've ever watched was with Burl Ives as the Snowman/Storyteller. When Rudolph and Hermey(?) were rejected for being different and ran away it got to me pretty good when I was a kid.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 pm