Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 am

Best Bond Films 
Director

Post Re: Best Bond Films
She's ill-suited to the role, but it's more to her presence so it's not like she is actively terrible or anything. And even though I like all of Brosnan's Bond films (except the last), by that point the series had turned into a big-budget action cartoon anyway (and I mean this in a good way), so it's not like an improbable scientist named Christmas Jones would stand out too much in the movie. Also, I don't mean "ill-suited" because she's pretty, but because she just didn't seem believable. Sophi Marceau in the same movie is way prettier, for me personally, but I wouldn't pause one bit if she was in the role of a scientist.

In short, though: I don't mind Denise Richards, and she gets a lifetime movie pass with me (if I happen to come across one of the roles) for Wild Things :oops:

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 am
Director

The only good scene in Wild Things, IMO, is the threesome scene. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty bad.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:27 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
The only good scene in Wild Things, IMO, is the threesome scene. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty bad.

I thought it was a pretty good movie with fun performances and an interesting story, the DTV sequels were pretty good as well.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:29 am
Director

Quote:
Regardless of where James Bond aficionados rank him in the pantheon of 007's, Pierce Brosnan is a tough personal critic.

In an interview with Britain's The Telegraph, the 60-year-old actor revealed he has “no desire” to watch himself as James Bond, saying his performance was “never good enough.”

Discussing his four films as 007 – Goldeneye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), The World is Not Enough (1999) and Die Another Day (2002) – Brosnan said, “I felt I was caught in a time warp between Roger [Moore] and Sean [Connery].

“It was a very hard one to grasp the meaning of, for me. The violence was never real; the brute force of the man was never palpable. It was quite tame, and the characterization didn’t have a follow-through of reality -- it was surface. But then that might have had to do with my own insecurities in playing him as well.”

Asked if he ever rewatches his Bond films, he replied, “I have no desire to watch myself as James Bond. Because it’s just never good enough -- it’s a horrible feeling.”

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/pierce-br ... 00913.html

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm
Producer

Sorry to hear that he feels that way, the Brosnan films are some of my personal favorites.

On a sidenote, i'm looking forward to seeing Brosnan's next spy film-November Man.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Regardless of where James Bond aficionados rank him in the pantheon of 007's, Pierce Brosnan is a tough personal critic.

In an interview with Britain's The Telegraph, the 60-year-old actor revealed he has “no desire” to watch himself as James Bond, saying his performance was “never good enough.”

Discussing his four films as 007 – Goldeneye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), The World is Not Enough (1999) and Die Another Day (2002) – Brosnan said, “I felt I was caught in a time warp between Roger [Moore] and Sean [Connery].

“It was a very hard one to grasp the meaning of, for me. The violence was never real; the brute force of the man was never palpable. It was quite tame, and the characterization didn’t have a follow-through of reality -- it was surface. But then that might have had to do with my own insecurities in playing him as well.”

Asked if he ever rewatches his Bond films, he replied, “I have no desire to watch myself as James Bond. Because it’s just never good enough -- it’s a horrible feeling.”

It's interesting how a brief edited quote from the Irish Telegraph is getting blown out of proportion in the headlines of UK newspapers. At no point does Brosnan state that he didn't like the Bond movies of his tenure, he's just revealing that he was insecure about how to approach the character and that he doesn't like to watch himself on the screen playing the role. Many actors claim that they can't stand watching themselves on screen in any movie.

Personally, I think he was fine as James Bond.

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/pierce-br ... 00913.html

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:46 am