Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry? 
Producer

Post Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry?
There's no shame in it. We've all done it. Preferably while alone, but we've all done it. We've all cried during movies. And it's time to confess.

Here is a list of suggestions, to which this thread is partly born out of objection. Namely my personal objections that it has no Wrath of Khan or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And the only crying anyone should be doing during Armageddon is crying over the money they spent that will never be returned.

Note: if you fail to participate in this thread, we will have no choice but to assume that you cry during every movie. Including Patch Adams. Especially Patch Adams.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:19 am
Producer

Post Re: Alright, gents, time to man up: what movies make you cry?
That's actually a pretty crappy list. Fucking Step Mom? Really?!!

I agree on Armageddon though. I have to admit, that ending got to me. I love that movie. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies and one of Bay's best.

Land Before Time made me cry as a kid. Not sure about now though. Same with Charlotte's Webb, not on the list.

I adore Up. I absolutely love it. But it didn't make me cry. The only other movie on the list that got me teary eyed was The Green Mile.

Funny that you joke about Patch Adams on your list as well because that movie DID make me cry as well. What can I say? I guess I'm a sap! :lol:

Other movies not mentioned that made me cry:

Field of Dreams
Meet Joe Black
Heart and Souls

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am
Director

The only one on that list that legitimately belonged there was Blue Valentine.

Fruitvale Statin brought a few tears to my eyes when I saw it.

Precious made me cry the first time I saw it. When I've watched it since then, it's not moved me to tears. But it has effected me as much emotionally.

Before that the last movie to make me cry was Million Dollar Baby.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:30 am
Auteur

When I was younger I used to get misty-eyed at the end of Homeward Bound.

Sometimes romantic comedies get to me, though I can't think of one in particular right now off the top of my head.

I HATED Patch Adams, that film just pissed me off to an incredibly degree.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:38 am
Director

I kind of agree with Armageddon too. I don't like the movie much, but that moment got me. Maybe it's Bruce Willis being heroic, especially combined with Liv Tyler crying.

From that list, Up came close, but Bridges of Madison County also got me. Sorry, I just can't resist Meryl Streep in grief.

The one that takes the top honor for me though has to be Toy Story 3. I love that movie to death, but I can't watch it often because it kind of upset me at times, perhaps irrationally.

I think of the more recent ones, only Prisoners came really close.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:24 am
Producer

The Remains of the Day is the saddest film I've seen.

It's also so tastefully directed and well acted.

Kunz will like this - Pan is also a very sad film. The ending caused a tear to be shed.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:51 am
Producer

Kes - how can you not cry when that bastard kills his bird

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:53 am
Director

Quote:
When I was younger I used to get misty-eyed at the end of Homeward Bound.

Me too man. Moreso Turner & Hooch. And A Walk to Remember, back in the day. But it's been a long time.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:36 am
Second Unit Director

Graveyard of the Fireflies
Bridge to Terabethia
WALL-E

Those are the main ones that have actually made me sob.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:19 am
Second Unit Director

Happiness. There's something so pure and gentle about the last conversation Bill Maplewood (Dylan Baker) has with his son Timmy, it flaws me every time. When Bill's eyes go red and he holds back the tears it make me think just how tough a world it must be for serial rapist/paedophiles.

Seriously though, An English Patient always springs to mind firstly because I remember not being able to stop crying in the cinema from the moment Ralph Fiennes carries Kristen Scott Thomas out of the cave, and there was still half an hour of screen time to go.

Slightly off topic, but the final season and especially the last episode of Six Feet Under I find to be incredibly gut wrenching, unsettling and sad. A lot of people seem to pass Six Feet Under off as light melodrama but the final season hit’s all the right heartstrings from my seat.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:15 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
The Remains of the Day is the saddest film I've seen.

It's also so tastefully directed and well acted.

Kunz will like this - Pan is also a very sad film. The ending caused a tear to be shed.

Right on! Oh what a film.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:28 am
Cinematographer

Pretty sure I've never cried from a movie (I can't quite suspend my disbelief that much). When I was young a tear-jerker called "Brian's Song" almost did it. Any movie where a parent loses a young child, in particular a scene from "The Ten Commandments" where the son of Pharoh is dying. Agree with Patrick on "Bridge to Terabethia".

At this time of the year "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" cuts it pretty close for me. "Snoopy Come Home" hit me pretty hard when I was a boy.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 am
Auteur

wisey wrote:
Happiness. There's something so pure and gentle about the last conversation Bill Maplewood (Dylan Baker) has with his son Timmy, it flaws me every time. When Bill's eyes go red and he holds back the tears it make me think just how tough a world it must be for serial rapist/paedophiles.

Seriously though, An English Patient always springs to mind firstly because I remember not being able to stop crying in the cinema from the moment Ralph Fiennes carries Kristen Scott Thomas out of the cave, and there was still half an hour of screen time to go.

Slightly off topic, but the final season and especially the last episode of Six Feet Under I find to be incredibly gut wrenching, unsettling and sad. A lot of people seem to pass Six Feet Under off as light melodrama but the final season hit’s all the right heartstrings from my seat.

Eh, I found English Patient to be far too mawkish and overly sentimental to elicit any real emotion from me, I still can't believe that film actually won best picture.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:56 pm
Cinematographer

I cry at movies all the fucking time. I'd have my man card revoked if I actually gave a shit about such things. I'm exaggerating a bit, but there's usually a few movies every year that legitmately make me cry. And they're not ones you'd normally expect - Seven Psychopaths made me tear up because of how beautiful the sentiment/idea is when Walken is giving his voiceover, and I completely lost my shit at the end of The Grey for similar reasons.

Just this year Before Midnight and Ain't Them Bodies Saints both got me. There's way too many for me to keep naming, because I'm apparently a huge pussy.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:49 pm
Assistant Director

I think the only movie that actually made me cry was Watership Down when I was a little kid (no child should see that movie!). That said, I remember The War Zone and Heavy got me close.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 pm
Producer

Bridge to Terabithia for me, too. The Apartment. The Accidental Tourist. Stranger than Fiction. Toy Story 2 and 3. The Big Broadcast of 1938 (the scene containing "Thanks for the Memory.") Defending Your Life.

The section "Thou Shalt Not Steal" of Dekalog gets to me.

Last edited by Syd Henderson on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:21 pm
Second Unit Director

I never used to cry at movies, but every now and then, when I'm in a certain kind of mood, I let loose a little bit. In the past year, I've become a cat owner and a boyfriend, so maybe those things have affected me. It's hard to say. Maybe I'm just getting older. It's hard to believe the board's almost five years old!

Historically, it's been Grave of the Fireflies, Lost in Translation, Lilo and Stitch, and even In the Mood for Love a little bit. Lately, it's been shit like Carrie and The Road. If I watch anything by myself in the comfort of solitude, I'm way more likely to sob like a little baby.

I also bawled, and I mean legit bawled, when Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte made the walk out to the mound to take out Mariano Rivera.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:21 pm
Producer

I forgot In America. There's several scenes in it that move me to tears.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 pm
Producer

wisey wrote:

Welcome back, Wisey.

Where you been? Who you been? And with whom have you been seen?

I thought one of your Internet conquest-elects had turned out to be that geezer from Wolf Creek!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 pm
Director

The Last Samurai got me a bit teary at times.

There, that's 500. Cinematographer! 8-)

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:00 pm