Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Why do you do it? 
Second Unit Director

Post Why do you do it?
So I’m curious why people start or participate in a thread that anyone could anticipate is going to head into argument territory. I’ll admit, I’ve risen to the bait on a couple of these, but for the most part, I just read them amusedly and wonder why guys brought together by a love of movies would feel a need to dive into current political topics. Speaking for myself, I come here for a relaxing break from my day to read about reactions to upcoming, current or past movies and (generally) not to start something…

Are you trying to see if everyone shares your views?
Are you trying to hone your online debate skills?
Are you trying to win people over to your side of the spectrum?
Are you just trying to feel-out your fellow board contributors?
Have the current topics just gotten boring?
Or, have you spotted something within a post, so egregious or insipid that it cannot go without a response? (this is where I end up falling on those few times I get sucked in)

You?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Why do you do it?
To see what, and if there is a prevailing viewpoint, and to a certain extent:

Awf Hand wrote:
Are you trying to win people over to your side of the spectrum?
You?

Outside of the participants you never know who's watching.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:38 am
Producer

Usually it's because i'm very passionate about certain subjects and want to make my opinions known, and if someone spouts BS that they call "facts" or shows incredible ignorance, i'm going to call them on it.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
and if someone spouts BS that they call "facts" or shows incredible ignorance, i'm going to call them on it.

Like the people who voted for Obama? I never see you calling those people out on it.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 pm
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
and if someone spouts BS that they call "facts" or shows incredible ignorance, i'm going to call them on it.

Like the people who voted for Obama? I never see you calling those people out on it.

Here we go again, you just can't resist insulting someone who has different political views then you, this is exactly the kind of bullshit comment that's just begging to be attacked fiercly :evil: :roll: People like you are exactly the reason why i'm happy that Obama won a second term.

I'm calling you out now for being asinine and petty.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
People like you are exactly the reason why i'm happy that Obama won a second term.

So you're happy that Obama won a 2nd term because it means pissing certain people off ? Seems pretty selfish.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm
Assistant Director

Guys, seriously, I think you're missing the point of the thread. I know it's an Open Forum and we can discuss whatever we want, but do any of you not see the irony in reading the original post and then proceeding to snipe at each other? How much does any of this really matter?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 pm
Producer

I generally don't leap to a side the moment the light goes green, but I'm always happy to ask questions wherever my curiosity rears its head, or to correct the odd bit of bad information that has an unfortunate tendency to become common currency in our social discourse.

I don't much cotton to blatant attempts at shit-stirring, and it's doubly unacceptable when it's unrelated to movies, so I pop in now and again to try to keep things on the level.

It does disturb me that the threads in question tend to soak up the bulk of the discussion these days. Perhaps the people who post in them can make it a goal to make one movie-related post for every non-movie-related post, and one movie-related thread for every non-movie-related thread.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 pm
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
People like you are exactly the reason why i'm happy that Obama won a second term.

So you're happy that Obama won a 2nd term because it means pissing certain people off ? Seems pretty selfish.

Oh i'm happy he won for a variety of reasons, pissing you off is just a nice side-bonus :lol: :P

Nothing selfish about that, smug yes selfish no.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm