Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Black people tricked into electing a white guy. 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Black people tricked into electing a white guy.
Vexer wrote:
You can laugh about "white privelege" all you want, but that dosen't mean it dosen't exist, you're starting to show signs of it yourself. If anyone is dehumanizing people it is you.

To the original topic. How did this man use his whiteness for an advantage or "privilege"?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 am
Producer

This church looks an awful lot like a wang.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am
Cinematographer

It sure does. Guess they can say it's a phonetic representation for the city of Dick-son.

Edit - dang, I thought I was being clever but the author of the article already alluded to that (indeed).

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am
Cinematographer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
he's just another guy with unearned white privaleges.

What exactly are "white privileges," Vex? I'm a white guy and I can't say I've ever been treated special because of it.

..........Wait, really?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 pm
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
It sure does. Guess they can say it's a phonetic representation for the city of Dick-son.

Edit - dang, I thought I was being clever but the author of the article already alluded to that (indeed).

Yeah, you have to be fast on the button nowadays. The Internet is quick to act when there's a perfect storm for puns.

Or, should I say, you have to shoot quick when the situation comes to a head.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:07 pm
Second Unit Director

I am left wondering what picture did he use for his poster.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm
Cinematographer

Apparently even his campaign website didn't have his picture on it. Didn't notice it in the original article, but apparently Ron Wilson (his cousin that endorsed him on the flyer with disconnected pictures of unrelated people) is also a prominent black figure in that voting community. Hope Dave uses as much ingenuity to work for his constituency.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:29 pm
Second Unit Director

CasualDad wrote:
Apparently even his campaign website didn't have his picture on it. Didn't notice it in the original article, but apparently Ron Wilson (his cousin that endorsed him on the flyer with disconnected pictures of unrelated people) is also a prominent black figure in that voting community. Hope Dave uses as much ingenuity to work for his constituency.

I have to ask the question.
at no point did anyone ask.
What does this man look like?
any group who elects someone when they have no idea what he looks deserve whatever they got.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Awf Hand wrote:
Vexer wrote:
You can laugh about "white privelege" all you want, but that dosen't mean it dosen't exist, you're starting to show signs of it yourself. If anyone is dehumanizing people it is you.

To the original topic. How did this man use his whiteness for an advantage or "privilege"?

He didn't. String Theory makes more sense to me than what vex was spewing.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:56 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:
Vexer wrote:

He didn't. String Theory makes more sense to me than what vex was spewing.

I think that this is an intelligence / ingenuity privilege.
He came up with an opportunity, acted on it and succeeded.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:36 am
Producer

I can think of some better words to describe it than those ones. Mostly not very nice words.

Do you really think the only reason more people haven't tried this before is that they're not smart enough?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I can think of some better words to describe it than those ones. Mostly not very nice words.

Do you really think the only reason more people haven't tried this before is that they're not smart enough?

THE ONLY REASON more people haven't tried this is media repercussion. I'm sure this guy talked to a lawyer, made sure he couldn't be prosecuted for fraud, and then said I give zero fucks, lets take this election.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am
Producer

I'm sure he did. I'm also sure he deals with highway lane closures by passing as many cars as possible and forcing his way into the line instead of just getting over right away like everybody else did. Because he's smart, you see.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 pm
Producer

Firstly, this story is funny! It proves, if nothing else, how stupidly shallow politics is.

The guy may be an ass on other matters, I don't know. But he really did use the paddling pool-like depth of this specfic electorate to his own gain.

Of course Vex is gonna offer the same, microwaved ready-meal of race politic horseshite in the form of white privilege (c)

A slice of advice, Vex. I don't mean this to offend, as I'm sure you're a nice guy. But you're also frightfully naïve. If you think for a minute the average white working or middleclass software programmer/lawyer/building site worker/electrician/etc/etc with a wife, kids and mortgage is going to shoulder the burden of abstract concepts as "white privilege", then you are setting yourself up for an epic series of disappointments in life.

No adult in their right mind gives a shit.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:

Firstly, this story is funny! It proves, if nothing else, how stupidly shallow politics is.

The guy may be an ass on other matters, I don't know. But he really did use the paddling pool-like depth of this specfic electorate to his own gain.

Of course Vex is gonna offer the same, microwaved ready-meal of race politic horseshite in the form of white privilege (c)

A slice of advice, Vex. I don't mean this to offend, as I'm sure you're a nice guy. But you're also frightfully naïve. If you think for a minute the average white working or middleclass software programmer/lawyer/building site worker/electrician/etc/etc with a wife, kids and mortgage is going to shoulder the burden of abstract concepts as "white privilege", then you are setting yourself up for an epic series of disappointments in life.

No adult in their right mind gives a shit.

I'm the one who's naive? Yeah, I don't think so :lol: "white privelege" was something I was taught in college and the majority of the kids in my class, many of whom were white and middle-class with kids and a mortgage like you said, seemed to grasp the concept pretty well. I think you just don't give people nearly enough credit and assume that you're always right and that everyone else is always wrong.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:24 pm
Producer

You were taught about white privilege in college?

Well there you go - the problem in a nutshell!!

Did they not think to teach you something useful?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:

The fact that you don't think it's "useful" shows to me exactly what kind of person you are and that you are the very definition of "white privelege". what "useful" things did you learn in college pray tell? :roll: How to systematically discriminate against people?

I've learned many useful things in college, far more then you apparently, the way you talk makes you sound highly uneducated.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 pm
Director

I may not follow politics much, but I do know that "white privilege" exists. It should be fairly obvious; for example, how often are white people racially profiled when compared to people of other races? It doesn't necessarily mean you have to feel guilty about your existence, just that you recognize that the advantages you have are there.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:36 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

The fact that you don't think it's "useful" shows to me exactly what kind of person you are and that you are the very definition of "white privelege". what "useful" things did you learn in college pray tell? :roll: How to systematically discriminate against people?

I've learned many useful things in college, far more then you apparently, the way you talk makes you sound highly uneducated.

So American tax dollars fund wasteful white guilt-trips.

That's a fucking disgrace

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

So American tax dollars fund wasteful white guilt-trips.

That's a fucking disgrace

No, your attitude is a fucking disgrace :roll: :evil:

You don't live in America anyways so what the hell should it matter to you what our tax dollars fund? :?

It's not about being guilt-tripped, it's about recognizing prejudice and not pretending it dosen't exist like you do.

Last edited by Vexer on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm