Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:02 am

Does anybody here besides me care about College Football, or 
Second Unit Director

Post Does anybody here besides me care about College Football, or
the NFL, or Golf, or just going out to the bars and getting shit hammered and making a night of it?

I freaking love talking sports, and am damn proud to say my Auburn Tigers are now 7-1, ranked # 11 after not winning a single SEC game last year, only 2 years removed from a BCS National Championship!!! While I'll admit to wanting to hire Bobby Petrino first, Gus (he was my second choice) has the program on track and primed for future success, so I'll eat crow.

Anybody else want to chime in?

War Eagle

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm
Director

Post Re: Does anybody here besides me care about College Football, or
I'm more of a NFL guy, though I live in Maryland, I'm a die-hard Chicago Bears fan (got a ton of family in that area), but the Ravens are a second team of sorts. College wise, I like Maryland and Nebraska, but I'm not as enthused as I am about the pros. Still though, I hope someone, ANYONE, can knock off Bama. Saban is a douche. I literally laughed out loud at JB's review of The Blind Side when he called him "a truly awful actor." :lol:

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 pm
Second Unit Director

I agree, Saban is a douche, but there is not a better coach in the country when it comes to controlling a football program. I don't just mean x's and o's; I mean the whole package. He treats bama like a business in that he will sign, over sign, and process anybody out if he thinks another recruit can help the program better than the last.

The iron bowl will be in auburn this year, and Auburn will have to play near perfect and get some luck to defeat them, but it can happen. If bama gets by us, and beats whichever team in the SEC championship (will be either south carolina or Mizzou), go ahead an give them the national championship come january. Whether they play Oregon or FSU, it doesn't matter. You give Saban 30 days to plan for one game and he is unbeatable.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 am
Cinematographer

I used to be a big sports fan, but age has taken much of the urgency out of them for me. The last couple of years haven't been good for my Memphis Tiger football team, but even in years when they win enough to be a bowl selection, they're never really relevant on the national scene. They are my team though and I enjoy catching a few live games a year.

Happy to see much of the SEC turn over in the past few weeks, but I think Bama still will roll the conference. I am convinced this year that the Ducks or Seminoles will be very competitive if Bama and one of them make it to the National Championship game. LSU and Auburn are both gearing up and I'll be surprised if one of them doesn't at least scare the Bama nation.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 am
Director

See guys, this would be the perfect season for the four-team playoff. Bama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio St, all on neutral fields. Ideally, I would love an 8-team playoff with one game chopped off the regular season to make more room for it.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 am
Director

I don't watch college football out of general principle. The way the NCAA and BCS exploit the students is rather unconscionable.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:58 am
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I don't watch college football out of general principle. The way the NCAA and BCS exploit the students is rather unconscionable.

I get that. Change is coming at some point, probably in the form of all the budding super-conferences breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing. Paying student athletes seems a little dicey; don't they get free education that would cost most people money in the six-figure range? But I'd be okay with the elite players being allowed to take marketing/endorsement opportunities on their own, especially since they make their schools MAD money, and sports media covers them like they're pros. Also, Reggie Bush should've never had his Heisman taken away. It's not like he cheated (i.e. steroids) to win it.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
See guys, this would be the perfect season for the four-team playoff. Bama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio St, all on neutral fields. Ideally, I would love an 8-team playoff with one game chopped off the regular season to make more room for it.

This is my perfect scenario as well, and I think it would work out fine. Every year most teams play 3 out of conference games. One avg to good OOC and 2 shit teams that you will beat the dogs hit out of (at least that's how the SEC does it). Drop one of the shit teams.

Also, while I think the 4 team playoff is a good start, this committee that will select the teams is bullshit. How did they decide who is on the committee, and won't there definitely be some bias? They should have just left the BCS formula as is, and taken the top 4 teams. As shitty as the BCS is, at least is does have a computer factor in the formula.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:13 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I get that. Change is coming at some point, probably in the form of all the budding super-conferences breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing. Paying student athletes seems a little dicey; don't they get free education that would cost most people money in the six-figure range? But I'd be okay with the elite players being allowed to take marketing/endorsement opportunities on their own, especially since they make their schools MAD money, and sports media covers them like they're pros. Also, Reggie Bush should've never had his Heisman taken away. It's not like he cheated (i.e. steroids) to win it.

Something needs to change, but I don't know how it could be done.

1. On the fact that players get a free education: Well, that education still requires tough work (depending on which school), and scholarships are set up differently. Example: At auburn, for at least the past 5 years, recruits that were offered scholarships are offered full 4 year scholarships, regardless if they are dropped from the team due to a number of reasons. At bama, a player is only offered a scholly for one year, and must work (produce on the field/prove they can stick around another year) for that 2nd year, and then 3rd year, and then 4th year. That is why Bama is so jacked with 4 and 5 star talent up to the 3rd string players. They can process recruits in and out to free up more scholarships, and it also means (I think) players will bust their asses more to stay on the team.

2. Paying players: Wouldn't this have to be equal among all teams in the NCAA? Sure, it would be no sweat for Texas, or Bama, or Auburn, or about 20 other teams to pay players, but what about the small schools? Also, why do football players only get paid? Why not basketball, and baseball, and even smaller sports? Sure, at most schools, the Football team earns the profits that are distributed among all other sports, but that is not the players faults.
This is a very dangerous slippery slope.

3. On endorsements: It would be too easy for certain schools (pretty much the top 10 most valuable programs) to stay on top, keep winning, because recruits would know they are about to get serious, serious $$$ that would be legal, that other schools boosters just couldn't offer. Auburn has a Billionaire, multiple 100+ millionaires, and multiple 10+ millionaires as boosters. You don't even want to know how much money Texas, Texas A&M, and other schools have.

--The scenario of I'm going to set up a company for you to endorse, which will allow me to pay you handsomely becomes very prevalent.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm
Director

Drop one of the shit teams on everyone's schedule? Absolutely. I cant help but cringe every time I see one of those 70-0 ish blowouts where the small school gets a nice payday for showing up just to get their asses kicked. I have a friend who went to Savannah State, ya know. So I kinda feel embarrassed for him at times. My school on the other hand (Towson University, located just north of Baltimore) has handled it well. We gave LSU a decent game last year and actually beat UConn at their place this year!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:28 pm
Director

Aw snap, down goes Oregon. And Baylor is going to ascend quickly. We've still got five unbeatens in the conversation for the title game. I'm salivating just thinking about how this will look next year when the playoff format takes shape.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:59 pm
Director

My main objection to college football is how the NCAA exploits the images and likenesses of the students for their own profit, with the students getting nothing for the use of their likeness. That is flat-out exploitation, and it should not be allowed to stand.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
My main objection to college football is how the NCAA exploits the images and likenesses of the students for their own profit, with the students getting nothing for the use of their likeness. That is flat-out exploitation, and it should not be allowed to stand.

I agree. The number one reason I don't enjoy college sports is because it's not as well-played as the pros, but this is a major part as well. It's absolutely inane.

There's a zillion cases, but here's my favorite recent one: Creighton's Doug McDermott willingly gave up his scholarship to another player this year, so he owes the full $44k for tuition. But he's not allowed to make money with anything regarding his name or his sport. But if he was just a regular student? He could sell T-shirts with his name, charge for interviews, let rich friends fly him around -- but because he plays basketball, he can't. Ridiculous.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 am
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I agree. The number one reason I don't enjoy college sports is because it's not as well-played as the pros, but this is a major part as well. It's absolutely inane.

There's a zillion cases, but here's my favorite recent one: Creighton's Doug McDermott willingly gave up his scholarship to another player this year, so he owes the full $44k for tuition. But he's not allowed to make money with anything regarding his name or his sport. But if he was just a regular student? He could sell T-shirts with his name, charge for interviews, let rich friends fly him around -- but because he plays basketball, he can't. Ridiculous.

Doug McDermott's dad is the head coach of Creighton's team, and makes $1.37 million a year; he is not worried about tuition. Doug would not have given up his scholarship without his dad's blessing, as I'm sure they needed the man who received that scholly, Grant Gibbs.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Doug McDermott's dad is the head coach of Creighton's team, and makes $1.37 million a year; he is not worried about tuition. Doug would not have given up his scholarship without his dad's blessing, as I'm sure they needed the man who received that scholly, Grant Gibbs.

True, but not really relevant. The blatant hypocrisy of the school is my point.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Miracle Play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf5jnajTKJI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGf5jnajTKJI&app=desktop

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 am
Director

Haha, seriously, don't they teach you as a DB to just knock the ball down in that situation rather than go for the INT? Nevertheless, the stage is set for an epic matchup next week.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:15 pm
Director

Speechless.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:36 pm
Second Unit Director

I was there...45 yard line, about 10 rows up behind the Auburn team. I'm still at a loss of words...

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:48 pm
Cinematographer

Talk about looking like destiny. Not sure if Missouri should preparing through game films or praying and offering sacrifices.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:07 pm