Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:29 am

Obligatory Obamacare thread 
Second Unit Director

Post Obligatory Obamacare thread
So a little over 100,000 have managed to sign up, millions are being dropped from their private insurance, my insurance premium is more than doubling, and Obama is making half-assed apologies.

Fuck it, why don't I just pay the $95 fine every year, and not even have insurance any more? If i have to have a major operation, I just have to pay $12,000-15,000 deductible and will still get operated on.

Obama's swan song is a joke.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:51 am
Auteur

Post Re: Obligatory Obamacare thread
Wow, you really LOVE to shove your politicla agenda down everyone's throats don't you? :roll:
It's not a "joke" at all, it would help if some states would actually bother running their own websites for the ACA. The insurance companies are the ones to blame, they didn't bother to tell anyone why their policies were being cancelled, just said "we're dropping you" and that's it. The launch wasn't perfect, but not everyone can afford premium health insurance, and people can bury their heads in the sand and claim health care was better the way it was before, but the fact is that this is helping out a lot of people(it's certainly helped my family out a great deal).

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
It's not a "joke" at all, it would help if some states would actually bother running their own websites for the ACA. The insurance companies are the ones to blame, they didn't bother to tell anyone why their policies were being cancelled, just said "we're dropping you" and that's it. The launch wasn't perfect, but not everyone can afford premium health insurance, and people can bury their heads in the sand and claim health care was better the way it was before, but the fact is that this is helping out a lot of people(it's certainly helped my family out a great deal).

The insurance companies are not to blame, Vex. That's insane. We know now that the president very intentionally lied about people being able to keep their insurance coverage, and has already caved on that by allowing some to keep it for another year.

If you honestly think it's better for everyone, you're the one burying your head in the sand. Yes, it is helping people who didn't previously have any or sufficient coverage. It is also unquestionably hurting people -- and not by any means only wealthy people. If people who make $250k+ a year have their coverage go from $500 a month to $850, I don't have too much sympathy for that. But the lower middle class people are getting destroyed by this, with much more expensive plans that cover much less.

And no, I'm not an Obama hater. I think he's as equally dumb, arrogant and heartless as the last several presidents we've had.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

The insurance companies are not to blame, Vex. That's insane. We know now that the president very intentionally lied about people being able to keep their insurance coverage, and has already caved on that by allowing some to keep it for another year.

If you honestly think it's better for everyone, you're the one burying your head in the sand. Yes, it is helping people who didn't previously have any or sufficient coverage. It is also unquestionably hurting people -- and not by any means only wealthy people. If people who make $250k+ a year have their coverage go from $500 a month to $850, I don't have too much sympathy for that. But the lower middle class people are getting destroyed by this, with much more expensive plans that cover much less.

And no, I'm not an Obama hater. I think he's as equally dumb, arrogant and heartless as the last several presidents we've had.

Exactly how is that insane? He did not "intentionally lie", that's total nonsense :roll: I'm far form the only person who thinks this better for everyone(except the rich), so i'm not "burying" my head in anything, my family IS lower-middle class and we certainly haven't gotten "destroyed" by this at all.

http://chirblog.org/dont-be-fooled-aca-coverage-a-better-deal-for-just-about-everyone/

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
He did not "intentionally lie", that's total nonsense

Okay, let's look at the facts:

More than 25 times on video, the President said “if you like your health-care plan, you will be able to keep your health-care plan, period.” That was clearly untrue, and he knew it -- or rather, he knew it if he actually read the Affordable Care Act, which clearly laid this out. Now that he's been called out on the lie, he said “What we said was you could keep it if it hasn’t changed since the law was passed,” which is even more offensive because it is complete bullshit -- again, we have video, and he never said that or anything like it. So best case scenario, he's not a liar, he's just a moron who didn't read or didn't understand the ACA bill that he championed. And he's definitely lying with his "defense" of the videos, because he never said that.

Let me be clear: If the President stands behind this being a good thing for everyone, more power to him. I don't have to agree, but I can at least respect that. To blatantly lie to the people you're supposed to be serving, though, makes people rightfully question his motives.

Vexer wrote:
I'm far form the only person who thinks this better for everyone(except the rich)

Did I say you were? Nope. Sincerely, I think it's great that the bill has helped you and your family, it's clearly helping many -- and it's clearly hurting many.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:49 pm
Cinematographer

It's always suspect trying to pass off something off a "blog" as "objective fact." I will say this: if everything were as quaint and rosy as painted in your blog reference, there would be no need for the President to thrice make major modifications / exemptions to the law he signed.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
He did not "intentionally lie", that's total nonsense

Okay, let's look at the facts:

More than 25 times on video, the President said “if you like your health-care plan, you will be able to keep your health-care plan, period.” That was clearly untrue, and he knew it -- or rather, he knew it if he actually read the Affordable Care Act, which clearly laid this out. Now that he's been called out on the lie, he said “What we said was you could keep it if it hasn’t changed since the law was passed,” which is even more offensive because it is complete bullshit -- again, we have video, and he never said that or anything like it. So best case scenario, he's not a liar, he's just a moron who didn't read or didn't understand the ACA bill that he championed. And he's definitely lying with his "defense" of the videos, because he never said that.

Let me be clear: If the President stands behind this being a good thing for everyone, more power to him. I don't have to agree, but I can at least respect that. To blatantly lie to the people you're supposed to be serving, though, makes people rightfully question his motives.

Vexer wrote:
I'm far form the only person who thinks this better for everyone(except the rich)

Did I say you were? Nope. Sincerely, I think it's great that the bill has helped you and your family, it's clearly helping many -- and it's clearly hurting many.
About the only people the ACA is hurting are the Tea Party.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/27/1251107/-People-are-lying-about-how-much-Obamacare-is-helping-them

I also won't say the president is an "idiot" because of one admittedly misleading statement.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 pm
Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Pg2rx6PX4

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/2 ... lping-them

That statement and that link are completely unrelated. And apparently you're okay with the ACA hurting people as long as it's people you disagree with? Most of the Tea Party (like most of the country) is made of the middle class, Vex.

Vexer wrote:
I also won't say the president is an "idiot" because of one admittedly misleading statement.

It is not misleading. It's a lie. You cannot possibly understand the word "misleading" and not understand that.

And it wasn't one time, dude! It was again and again! If you believe in it, stand up for it, but don't lie.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:09 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

That statement and that link are completely unrelated. And apparently you're okay with the ACA hurting people as long as it's people you disagree with? Most of the Tea Party (like most of the country) is made of the middle class, Vex.

Vexer wrote:

It is not misleading. It's a lie. You cannot possibly understand the word "misleading" and not understand that.

And it wasn't one time, dude! It was again and again! If you believe in it, stand up for it, but don't lie.
Do you have any actual proof that the ACA is "hurting" people? If so i'd like it to hear it.

When I say it's hurting the Tea Party, I mean that it's hurting their whole agenda.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:11 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Do you have any actual proof that the ACA is "hurting" people? If so i'd like it to hear it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/1 ... oaCbOLiE94

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Vexer wrote:

When I say it's hurting the Tea Party, I mean that it's hurting their whole agenda.

It's hurting people financially. I just told you that my premiums are more than doubling. My uncle, who owns two private practices, ABSOLUTELY HATES IT, for the trouble it's about to cause him. Several of my friends, who are small business owners, are dropping benefits for their employees because it's financially unfeasible to continue.

This law is bringing MUCH more trouble than it's worth. About the only thing that I hear is good about it is that now I can deduct premium payments on my taxes ...funny, since about the only people this helps are people who don't pay any taxes anyway.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 pm
Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBuk91phkI

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:29 pm
Cinematographer

The one time I wished spoilers were used. Ewwwwwww.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm
Assistant Director

Back in the day, this would've been a perfect opportunity to Rick Roll someone. 8-)

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:22 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBuk91phkI

This is the best post in this whole thread. Perfectly sums it up.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Typical libs...make a joke out of everything.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:54 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Typical cons, blindly bash everyone else who dosen't agree with their viewpoints. :roll:

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:55 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Okay, time to interject here, because you are becoming really intolerable. I do not claim to have all the answers to the problems that ail these United States and the world at large. However, I do know to keep my mouth shut when I don't have enough information to make an informed statement. This may be because I'm a little older, wiser and smarter than you, or it may be for other reasons.

Point is, if you have something truly intelligent and insightful worth posting, then by all means post it. Like I said, I don't have all the answers. If you just want to bitch about Obama, I can direct you to several websites that serve just that purpose. Otherwise, stop trolling, because it's fucking annoying. Now I know that trolling is what a lot of Tea Partiers do on the interwebs, because they've got nothing else. But this is a message board for movies. Seriously, take that shit to Breitbart or RedState or Fox News or wherever. Just not here.

The mods can do us all a favor by getting rid of this shitty thread.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 pm
Second Unit Director

Delete this thread? Why?

I wanted to have a discussion on Obama care, because it is affecting the whole country. I haven't really seen one way how it helps THE MAJORITY of this country. If any of you can give me some insight on it, I will gladly read it.

I explained to Vex how in actuality, it is hurting people. But it seems the only thing most can do is make jokes about it. Why? This is truly a big deal.

Yea, I know this is a movie site, but this is the open forum, and I thought we could talk about very real, polarizing subjects, that have a TREMENDOUS impact on the country we live in.

Obviously, as I said in my other thread, I'm a conservative, republican, that thinks Obama sucks ass at running this country. It has nothing to do with his manhood or character...I've never met him and he might be the nicest, coolest guy in the world...I just don't think he runs this country well, AT ALL.

Grow up guys, and lets have a good discussion on what this President has been pushing for his entire run.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:06 pm