Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am

How I Met Your Mother 
Director

Post Re: How I Met Your Mother
He didn't analyze you, Vexer. He just called out a wrong fact. The long argument and following links that seem like analysis came after you kept insisting that the actual fact with actual data isn't the fact you have in your mind.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
He didn't analyze you, Vexer. He just called out a wrong fact. The long argument and following links that seem like analysis came after you kept insisting that the actual fact with actual data isn't the fact you have in your mind.

Well I still find it funny nonetheless.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm
Director

Well I find it informative, because a wrong fact shouldn't be left without being corrected, or else it will just spread wrong knowledge around. But I guess people put diffent importance on wanting to know the fact, so I can see why you would find it funny. It's just normally right to correct this stuff.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am
Director

This final season has been hit and miss, but it's always interesting, and always hit when it comes to the right stuff: The Mother.

And the new one is the first great episode of the season for me.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:51 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
This final season has been hit and miss, but it's always interesting, and always hit when it comes to the right stuff: The Mother.

the suit song weas pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiweaZQ8g5U

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:

I agree. I've been waiting for the new season to deliver a really great episode and the newest episode is the first to fit into that category. I guess in a way its the first episode that really felt like HIMYM. That must be a reflection of how I feel about this season as a whole.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:25 pm
Director

Cristin Milioti. Just wow.

A character this long in mytho building (8 seasons!) shouldn't have been anything but disappointing, but the writers and especially Milioti just 100% nail it. Lovely episode, and a most lovely performance.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
Cristin Milioti. Just wow.

A character this long in mytho building (8 seasons!) shouldn't have been anything but disappointing, but the writers and especially Milioti just 100% nail it. Lovely episode, and a most lovely performance.

Agreed. We should have known she could act considering she was cast in a Scorsese movie, but she was excellent in this last episode. This season has been up and down and feels a lot like the writers are padding it all out at times, but hopefully this latest episode kicks off a strong finish.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Damn! I've missed the last couple of weeks due to various commitments. Agree with Pete, when I heard she was cast for TWoWS, I felt she would be good. Season 9 has been hit and miss so far, but when it has hit the mark, it's usually been because Miloti has been around. The episodes featuring The Mother have been among the best so far. I gotta catch up pretty soon. From what you guys say, I can be prepared for a great couple of episodes.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Director

:cry:

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:48 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
:cry:

I'm guessing you're refering to
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the hint that the Mother may not be alive at the time that Ted is telling the story to his kids. Personally I don't think that's going to be the case.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm
Auteur

So anyone see the series finale? I did, and i'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed.

I would say the ending felt rushed, except that many of the scenes with the kids and future Ted were filmed waaaayyyy back in season 2, so apparently it was planned from the beginning.

I didn't hate the finale, it wasn't terrible on the level of say the finales of Seinfeld, LOST, The Sopranos, etc. But it felt like it went against the whole series including the title.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Having Barney and Robin divorce after only 3 years felt like a huge slap in the face to fans. Makes me wonder what the point of having the whole season take place on their wedding was if they weren't going to last very long? Then having Tracy(The mother) die was just fucking cruel and totally unnecessary, that really pissed me off :cry: :evil: Then at the end it's revealed that Tracy has been dead for six years and Ted was only telling the kids so he get their "permission" to date Robin? Say what now? :o Ted already made such a big deal about "letting go" of Robin this season and then all of sudden he suddenly wants to get back together with her? Kinda makes the whole arc with Tracy feel pointless.

So yeah, my enthusiasm for this show has definitely diminished as a result of the finale, kinda taints the show and makes it hard to watch again knowing that i'm going to be dissapointed.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 am
Cinematographer

I agree with everything you've said here, Vex. I disliked it even more than you, as I completely hated it. For starters, in addition to everything you said in your spoiler box, that was the kind of ending that would have worked after the first 3-4 seasons. After 9 seasons if felt like Bays and Carter plain ignored how the characters grew past those initial feelings and became different people. We've heard all along how they knew how they show would end from the start, but it seems like they were much too married to that idea since the characters grew so much past that.

In addition to the conceptual failings of the finale, from a structural standpoint it was also, well, bad. The show's always worked best when it's telling a central story while zipping around to different timelines. The finale felt more like an epilogue than an episode of HIMYM. There was no central story, just "this happened at this point" followed by another "and then this happened." The entire thing felt like the end of a movie where text appears on the screen telling you what happens to some of the main characters after the film ends. It was just bad. Bad, bad, bad.

It does tarnish the show - how can it not given the premise of the show was always promising and leading to last night? Outside of the first few seasons it was never particularly great, but it drew interesting characters and told (mostly) interesting stories in a creative way. I still think it's a success as a better than average sitcom (which, for me, is so few and far between that the show feels more important than it probably is), but the finale certainly diminishes the show and makes the last half of it's running length, and particularly this last season, feel totally unnecessary.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 am
Second Unit Director

Agree with everything you guys said. I'll have more to say on this later, but I especially liked Pete's point about how a large part of the show after Season 5 now feels perfunctory. Season 9 in particular feels like a complete cop-out. And Barney's character progression from sleazy womanizer to a matured man in for a serious relationship especially feels like a total cheat.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sure they did show Barney having a baby, and that moment was well-acted by NPH. But they never showed who the mother is. (Maybe we'll have a show for that.) We're not given a name or face. How does Barney get custody of the kid? At least show us the kid. It was another cheat meant to show Barney has matured. But the fact that he regresses after telling in The Truth Episode how much he loves Robin was another cheat.

Everything just felt so wrong in this finale.

One thing I actually liked was, and it was also the thing that makes me hate the finale.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The cyclical feeling of Ted and Robin getting together with the blue French horn. From the first episode to the series finale, it should've felt perfect. It didn't. This could've been a great romantic moment in the history of TV. Ted's had his fantasy wedding with a perfect woman. He has kids. Robin's had her dream of touring the entire world. And now they can finally get together and live Lily's dream of the gang together on the front porch. But because of the way it was staged and the way we've been cheated to this moment, we couldn't even get happiness from a beautiful romantic moment.

Just. I am fuming at what they've done to this show.

The only consolation for me is that I binge-watched the first Seven Seasons in 2012 only. Then watched Eight and Nine along with you guys.

Now the only show I truly fell in love with from the beginning and have been following religiously is Castle. If somebody screws that up, then I may just have to go on a killing spree.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There is going to be a spin-off of this show which centers around the mother of Barney's daughter(#31) called "How I Met Your Dad", I already had reservations about that idea when it first announced, now i'm wondering if I should even bother watching it at all as the whole time i'll be expecting the creators to give that show the same kind of asinine ending. Not that I expect that show to last nearly as long as HIMYM did, as with the majority of fans pissed off/dissapointed by the finale, the ratings for the premiere will likely not be very high, hell i'd be surprised if the spin-off lasts an entire season if that.

I was mostly a casual watcher of this show from the beginning, I didn't really catch up until last year, so i'm not quite as upset as I would've been had I religiously watched the show from the beginning, but I feel really sorry for all those fans that did.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Another kicker is that the finale had the perfect ending right there, if it had only ended on the scene of Tracy and Ted meeting each other for the first time, then that would've been great, but we had to have that lovely moment spoiled by a future flash-forward of the kids basically "you really want to bang Aunt Robin don't you?". I know at that point Tracy's been gone for six years and everyone deals with death differently(I never cried at the death of my cousin for example) but no kids would ever react like that in real life, that was easily the worst moment in the entire episode.

Last edited by Vexer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
There is going to be a spin-off of this show which centers around the mother of Barney's daughter(#31) called "How I Met Your Dad", I already had reservations about that idea when it first announced, now i'm wondering if I should even bother watching it at all as the whole time i'll be expecting the creators to give that show the same kind of asinine ending. Not that I expect that show to last nearly as long as HIMYM did, as with the majority of fans pissed off/dissapointed by the finale, the ratings for the premiere will likely not be very high, hell i'd be surprised if the spin-off lasts an entire season if that.

Vex,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although I hadn't heard about the news bit you posted, I had a doubt whether this was going to be the case when they neither showed the mother of Barney's child nor the mother. I agree though. This ending was completely a cheat, and I will only watch it if it is a pre-planned short run. Like two or three seasons. I don't want to watch another show that is going to run for a decade.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Agreed, this a prime example of why you shouldn't lock yourself into an ending from the get go, in the beginning the show's future was uncertain, so at the time the ending probably made more sense, but after having been told repeatedly that Ted and Robin do not fit in together for so many years, having the show suddenly try and force them together in the finale just felt wrong. Other things that annoyed me were Ted waiting for 5 years to marry Tracy, given how much of a big deal he made about wanting to find "the one", it was completely nonsensical for him to wait that long, also the way they showed Robin feeling alienated from the rest of the gang felt contrived, and then showing her feeling miserable and pining after Ted for all those years felt like a bad mischaracterization of her. I had defended her characterization in recent seasons, but I couldn't believe how much the writers messed it up.

The creators should've taken lessons from the series finale of Friends.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm
Gaffer

The finale was set in stone back in '06 but it was left open how to get there. While I don't like the end result, there surely could have been better ways to reach said point. So much was crammed into 45 minutes and, in the end, the final season entire was a waste.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 am