Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Is anybody on this forum like me? 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Is anybody on this forum like me?
Ken wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
There are some points that I don't think anyone has addressed yet: what about the metaphysical and theological implications? At what point does one have a "soul?"

In a discussion in which people can't even agree on what constitutes a separate, distinct life form, how do you expect them to agree on what constitutes a soul?

Actually, that question is about a thousand times more interesting and worth talking about than this trite pro-life/pro-choice debate. I propose a change in focus.

What is a soul?

First person who says "a miserable pile of secrets" gets the dunce cap.

What is a soul?
A soul is a concept created by people to explain why God allows pain and suffering in world so that he can reward or punish you in your second life after you die.

Can i introduce the concept of there not being a soul at all.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 am
Second Unit Director

p604 wrote:
Ken wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
There are some points that I don't think anyone has addressed yet: what about the metaphysical and theological implications? At what point does one have a "soul?"

In a discussion in which people can't even agree on what constitutes a separate, distinct life form, how do you expect them to agree on what constitutes a soul?

Actually, that question is about a thousand times more interesting and worth talking about than this trite pro-life/pro-choice debate. I propose a change in focus.

What is a soul?

First person who says "a miserable pile of secrets" gets the dunce cap.

What is a soul?
A soul is a concept created by people to explain why God allows pain and suffering in world so that he can reward or punish you in your second life after you die.

Can i introduce the concept of there not being a soul at all.

Do you think roughly 90% (statistics ran by Cambridge in 2005) of this world is crazy? Or do you think you have reached some intelligent clarity that most of humanity just can't obtain due to foolishness? I think a soul connects me to a metaphysical world that I can't possibly understand, but choose to have faith in.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:06 am
Cinematographer

A soul is the spiritual part of a human being. For those who believe in eternal existence it is capable of existing beyond the life of the body, for those who believe that it is an orgainic creation of the brain it expires upon death. When is it created? - I don't know. I am among those that believe it never expires.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am
Producer

So what does it mean when people use the term "soul" in contexts not necessarily related to a religious belief structure? E.g. A guitarist who plays with soul, or somebody with soulful eyes.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:00 pm
Auteur

A think a "soul" is something made up by man to try and scare people straight into "behaving" so that they don't lose it.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
So what does it mean when people use the term "soul" in contexts not necessarily related to a religious belief structure? E.g. A guitarist who plays with soul, or somebody with soulful eyes.

I am a religious sort, but my understanding of soul from a worldly perspective is something that transcends a physical need. Music with soul causes emotional feelings beyond just an instinctive need to move with the beat. A soulful look causes feelings of love, sympathy, empathy, etc., not stemming from a need like sexual desire. The social connections not (at least directly) related to survival needs.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Do you think roughly 90% (statistics ran by Cambridge in 2005) of this world is crazy? Or do you think you have reached some intelligent clarity that most of humanity just can't obtain due to foolishness? I think a soul connects me to a metaphysical world that I can't possibly understand, but choose to have faith in.

I think that the 90% of people have been conditioned to believe in what ever religion they believe in.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
Auteur

p604 wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I think that the 90% of people have been conditioned to believe in what ever religion they believe in.

I would say it's a lot less then 90% of people that actually believe that, not every religion believes in the concept of a soul.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:50 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I would say it's a lot less then 90% of people that actually believe that, not every religion believes in the concept of a soul.

I think that people beliefs are developed from their surroundings.
I know this sounds obvious, but it explains why people can become racist. Racists are not born, they are developed

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 am
Second Unit Director

p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I know this sounds obvious, but it explains why people can become racist. Racists are not born, they are developed

You are racist for saying that...........lib way of thinking anyway.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 am
Producer

There are a lot of liberals here. Why so casually condescending?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 am
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I can quote the following move American history x

Bob Sweeney: This racist propaganda, this "Mein Kampf" psychobabble; he learned this nonsense, Murray, and he can unlearn it too. I will not give up on this child yet.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:12 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Insulting everyone you disagree with, typical con way of thinking.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm
Producer

If I may get back off-topic, the reason I ask what people consider to be a soul is that it's interesting to me from my own perspective. I don't have any religious beliefs myself, but I still wonder if we developed the concept of the soul as a result of certain common experiences.

Since the soul isn't expressly tied to any particular belief system (unlike, say, the Holy Trinity or karmic reincarnation), I have to think that it can be defined loosely as a feature of human existence, similarly to how we view consciousness. There doesn't necessarily need to be a spiritual angle, though people can view it as such if they wish.

If consciousness is how you know your physical body is your physical body, apart from all the other physical things in this world, then one might argue that "soul" is how you know your personality and all its characteristics is what it is, different from everybody else's personality. In that sense, your soul is all your collective tastes, wishes, fears, opinions, mannerisms, and so on--the things about you that produce your unique thoughts, your unique creativity. To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from the Sandman, your soul is whatever is solely yours.

This makes sense to me, because it unifies several different senses of the word "soul". A guitarist who improvises a unique lick that only they would play is playing with soul. Someone whose eyes easily betray their inner thoughts and feelings can be said to have soulful eyes. When you die, your body sticks around, but all those things about you that made you a person and not just a meat-based organism fade away like the charge in a dying battery. All those things that make up your thing-that-I-suggest-we-refer-to-as-a-soul.

This abstract idea doesn't demand any violation of physics and it doesn't suppose the existence of some unprovable kind of undying substance that outlives our bodies. There is no faith necessary, although, as I said, anybody who wants to add faith into the equation is obviously at liberty.

So yeah. That's what Ken thinks of the word "soul". Just one chatty atheist's opinion.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
If I may get back off-topic, the reason I ask what people consider to be a soul is that it's interesting to me from my own perspective. I don't have any religious beliefs myself, but I still wonder if we developed the concept of the soul as a result of certain common experiences.

Since the soul isn't expressly tied to any particular belief system (unlike, say, the Holy Trinity or karmic reincarnation), I have to think that it can be defined loosely as a feature of human existence, similarly to how we view consciousness. There doesn't necessarily need to be a spiritual angle, though people can view it as such if they wish.

If consciousness is how you know your physical body is your physical body, apart from all the other physical things in this world, then one might argue that "soul" is how you know your personality and all its characteristics is what it is, different from everybody else's personality. In that sense, your soul is all your collective tastes, wishes, fears, opinions, mannerisms, and so on--the things about you that produce your unique thoughts, your unique creativity. To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from the Sandman, your soul is whatever is solely yours.

This makes sense to me, because it unifies several different senses of the word "soul". A guitarist who improvises a unique lick that only they would play is playing with soul. Someone whose eyes easily betray their inner thoughts and feelings can be said to have soulful eyes. When you die, your body sticks around, but all those things about you that made you a person and not just a meat-based organism fade away like the charge in a dying battery. All those things that make up your thing-that-I-suggest-we-refer-to-as-a-soul.

This abstract idea doesn't demand any violation of physics and it doesn't suppose the existence of some unprovable kind of undying substance that outlives our bodies. There is no faith necessary, although, as I said, anybody who wants to add faith into the equation is obviously at liberty.

So yeah. That's what Ken thinks of the word "soul". Just one chatty atheist's opinion.

Could one argue that your soul and your conscience are indeed the same.
Your conscience is what you use to make your decisions and it is ultimately your conscience that suffers if one of your decisions is wrong.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 am
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm an upper middle class, white, southern, protestant, republican, conservative, 20-something, that loves the following:

college football
getting shithammered
chasing tail
golf
NFL
snow boarding
salt water fishing
and of course: MOVIES

If I met everybody else that was like me, I would be bored. I can almost get along with anybody, but I just feel like everything I say goes against the norm on this board. Are any of you fuckers out there remotely like me? Do we have anything in common besides movies?

White
Proddy/atheist
Nothern England
Like cricket and real football (soccer)
Love drinking, anything
Don't chase tail anymore, but once lived for it
Occasionally play golf
I've tried almost every drug at least once
I have 2 uni degrees, neither of which I use
I can bench 130kg (grrr)
I have a 4 year old Daughter
Depression runs in the family
My Great Uncle was a murderer
My Paternal Grandfather was a top flight football referee
I have a layperson's interest in Quantum Mechanics

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 pm
Second Unit Director

I hate football.
I also hate the way the media force me to listen to all those sports reports all the time.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:39 pm
Second Unit Director

p604 wrote:
I hate football.

Nazi.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
p604 wrote:
I hate football.

Nazi.

why??????????

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 pm