Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:02 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1898
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
I thought The Mist and Misery did that (although it could be argue if Misery is horror. Personally I'm freaking scared by Annie so much in the second half though).


Personally, I can't ask for better than The Mist. From what I've read of King's work, Mist captured a good bit of its spirit.


Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Justin Lin of the last three Fast and Furious installments will direct the next Bourne movie. I haven't watched Legacy but this news may have me see it before Lin's comes out.


Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 405
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
Justin Lin of the last three Fast and Furious installments will direct the next Bourne movie. I haven't watched Legacy but this news may have me see it before Lin's comes out.


There's another Bourne movie coming? I bet it's going to reference Matt Damon a whole lot and have him not be in it.


Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
patrick wrote:
peng wrote:
Justin Lin of the last three Fast and Furious installments will direct the next Bourne movie. I haven't watched Legacy but this news may have me see it before Lin's comes out.


There's another Bourne movie coming? I bet it's going to reference Matt Damon a whole lot and have him not be in it.

I'm OK with that, as Legacy was a lot better then Supremacy and Ultimatum, both of which suffered from ADD-editing-and-directing syndrome, in Legacy I could actually SEE what was going on during the actions scenes, so i'm definitely excited with someone like Lin at the helm.


Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
I see the actions in Supremacy and Ultimatum perfectly fine, and I think they are superb.

Anyway:

Image


Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
That's actually a good idea. After all the times Spider-Man has rushed into a burning building without a firehose, it's nice to see him learn.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:14 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1898
Post Re: General Movie News
http://www.thewrap.com/quentin-tarantin ... es-batman/

Tarantino calls Batman an uninteresting role for any actor to play. Says Michael Keaton did it best. Sorry, Mr. Bale.

http://www.thewrap.com/pg-13-movies-gun ... tudy-finds

Thought this one was interesting as well. But of course, we all know already that the R-rating really just blocks sex and F-bombs. PG-13 has often been more violent than R in terms of quantity.


Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
On this day in 1955, lightning struck the clock tower in Hill Valley and enabled Marty McFly to travel back to the future.

Here is the cinematic history of that clock tower, built on the Universal Studios backlot, that appeared in many movies starting in 1948.

You know, I've been meaning to rewatch the Back To The Future trilogy for a little while now...

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:11 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 234
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
On this day in 1955, lightning struck the clock tower in Hill Valley and enabled Marty McFly to travel back to the future.

Here is the cinematic history of that clock tower, built on the Universal Studios backlot, that appeared in many movies starting in 1948.

You know, I've been meaning to rewatch the Back To The Future trilogy for a little while now...


If they remade BTTF, who would you get to replace Mr. Fox?


Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
That's a good question.

Michael J. Fox is such a charming guy in an everyman sort of way, and at the same time very youthful. His characterization of Marty is utterly dependent on those qualities. Anybody who plays Marty in the future has to have them.

Hollywood's not very long on actors who can pull those traits off. A lot of today's young leading men are pretty boys, and/or their sense of humor is too cynical, and/or they're big Chris Hemsworth types. A lot of that's down to the age that we live in. Today's teen comedy archetype is less John Hughes and more Judd Apatow.

How about Emile Hirsch? He's a little old for the role, but he doesn't seem old. He gives off an air of intelligence, but not in a stand-offish intellectual way. And he can act very well. I could see him in the DeLorean.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 562
Location: The Desert
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
http://www.thewrap.com/pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds

Thought this one was interesting as well. But of course, we all know already that the R-rating really just blocks sex and F-bombs. PG-13 has often been more violent than R in terms of quantity.


Yeah, for me the most surprising part of this story is just how unsurprising it is. I'll always remember my experience sitting in the theater watching the third Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, which opens with an extended hanging sequence and features people getting shot point blank in the head, and wondering how the hell it escaped with a PG-13. There are a number of other films I've seen in recent years where the sheer quantity of the violence itself seems to warrant an R.

I was reading through some of the comments on another site that posted the same story, and there were some points raised regarding the difference between 'PG-13' violence and 'R' violence. The former can oftentimes be more problematic than the latter, because there's an unreality to it and oftentimes it's free of major consequence. 'R' rated films have more freedom with their portrayals of violence, and they're able to have give more weight and impact to their violent content. Of course, there are certainly exceptions to that idea, but I thought it was interesting to consider.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Blonde Almond wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
http://www.thewrap.com/pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds

Thought this one was interesting as well. But of course, we all know already that the R-rating really just blocks sex and F-bombs. PG-13 has often been more violent than R in terms of quantity.


Yeah, for me the most surprising part of this story is just how unsurprising it is. I'll always remember my experience sitting in the theater watching the third Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, which opens with an extended hanging sequence and features people getting shot point blank in the head, and wondering how the hell it escaped with a PG-13. There are a number of other films I've seen in recent years where the sheer quantity of the violence itself seems to warrant an R.

I was reading through some of the comments on another site that posted the same story, and there were some points raised regarding the difference between 'PG-13' violence and 'R' violence. The former can oftentimes be more problematic than the latter, because there's an unreality to it and oftentimes it's free of major consequence. 'R' rated films have more freedom with their portrayals of violence, and they're able to have give more weight and impact to their violent content. Of course, there are certainly exceptions to that idea, but I thought it was interesting to consider.

I remember being taken aback by the brutality of Spider-Man's encounter with the Green Goblin way back in 2002, when I was 17 and not particularly predisposed to being shocked by movie violence.

I can't remember exactly how he put it, but Ebert once said that violence with actual ideas to back it up tends to get an R, whereas more meaningless violence tends to get a PG-13. The MPAA isn't rating the violence, so much as the underlying challenge being presented to the audience.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 343
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: General Movie News
MGamesCook wrote:
http://www.thewrap.com/pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pg-13-movies-gun-violence-r-rated-films-study-finds

Thought this one was interesting as well. But of course, we all know already that the R-rating really just blocks sex and F-bombs. PG-13 has often been more violent than R in terms of quantity.


I wasn't really shocked by this either. Just another example of why the MPAA is such a failure.

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1898
Post Re: General Movie News
Quote:
I remember being taken aback by the brutality of Spider-Man's encounter with the Green Goblin way back in 2002, when I was 17 and not particularly predisposed to being shocked by movie violence.


I remember having the exact same reaction. I was 11 and had just seen Minority Report, whose violence I found challenging and quite powerful. That movie plays like an R-rating at times, but was still PG-13 because I guess there just wasn't enough blood. Anyway, even then, I had the sharp feeling Spidey's fight with Goblin was just tonally discordant with the rest of the thing. Going at it in this dark courtyard, and largely without the use of their superpowers, it feels more like Fight Club than Spider-Man.

Quote:
I wasn't really shocked by this either. Just another example of why the MPAA is such a failure.


The MPAA is a failure, no doubt. And probably because of its strange system, perceptions of violence have often been backwards. And I think their perception of what kids should/shouldn't watch is haywire. I remember people calling Passion of the Christ the most violent movie ever made, but it would be more accurate to call it the most graphic or the most brutal. I remember The Descent felt like one of the more violent movies I had seen at the time. But really, that's just creature violence; nothing to worry about. The MPAA would be better if it took into consideration the difference between that and man-on-man violence, guns vs. swords, fantasy vs. reality. It doesn't matter if you don't show blood. The Joker shotgunning a police officer is more violent than the creature scenes of The Mist, because it's something that can actually be done in real life.


Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
One PG-13 movie that surprised me in terms of violent content was "Alex Cross", they showed dismembered fingers and there was a pretty nasty torture scene with a blowtorch, I was stunned that the film didn't get an R-rating. Then of course there's the Dark Knight trilogy.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Sleeping Beauty's villain gets her own movie: Maleficent trailer.

Angelina Jolie is perfect casting, imo. The movie itself... either it is unfinished or they have too much fun with their CGI, with those cartoony (on purpose?) thorns. But I'm cautiously optimistic.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1485
Post Re: General Movie News
weird how so many high profile Dec releases are being moved to Jan/Fen

Labor Day(Jason Reitman) is now only getting a one week Oscar qualifying run on Dec 27 in LA(actually not a good sign for its Oscar potential) before getting a wide release Jan 31.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit now on Jan 17.

The Monuments Men now on Feb 7.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
calvero wrote:
weird how so many high profile Dec releases are being moved to Jan/Fen

Labor Day(Jason Reitman) is now only getting a one week Oscar qualifying run on Dec 27 in LA(actually not a good sign for its Oscar potential) before getting a wide release Jan 31.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit now on Jan 17.

The Monuments Men now on Feb 7.

Ouch. That's the wasteland of the year release schedule.

Of course, some distributors have had success with counterprogramming. Sometimes, a release that would be humdrum in July or November ends up being a surprise hit in February or March. Maybe that's what they're going for.

Still, as a rule...

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2279
Post Re: General Movie News
calvero wrote:
weird how so many high profile Dec releases are being moved to Jan/Fen

Labor Day(Jason Reitman) is now only getting a one week Oscar qualifying run on Dec 27 in LA(actually not a good sign for its Oscar potential) before getting a wide release Jan 31.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit now on Jan 17.

The Monuments Men now on Feb 7.


Labor Day is not the same with the other two. Labor Day is still opening in limited release to qualify for the Oscars which happens ALL THE TIME. It's no different than dozens of others Oscar hopefuls in the past.

Monuments Men and Jack Ryan are actually being moved completely to 2014, for two different reasons. In the case of Monuments Men it's because the movie won't finish in time for it's December release. And in the case of Jack Ryan, it was moved out of December so that Paramount can put Wolf of Wall Street in it's place because Paramount thinks they have a major Oscar contender with the Scorsese flick.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1485
Post Re: General Movie News
Quote:
Labor Day is not the same with the other two. Labor Day is still opening in limited release to qualify for the Oscars which happens ALL THE TIME. It's no different than dozens of others Oscar hopefuls in the past.


actually it doesn't happen all the time. what does happen all the time, is just playing in NY/LA for weeks(ie 'limited release') until it gets a wider release(Zero Dark Thirty, Million Dollar Baby etc)
That sort of situation IS NOT considered an Oscar qualifying run.

Labor Day is just playing for one week then disappearing until Jan 31. This is usually reserved for pretty obscure flicks, movies that usually don't get nominated for Oscars("Stand Up Guys" had an Oscar qualifying run in Dec 2012, didn't return to theaters until Feb 2013 I believe. how did that work out)

BTW, it is part of my job to keep up with all releases(I get emails daily from virtually every publicist at every studio with dates, theater counts, etc. The release pattern for Labor Day was pretty different a week ago(a limited release type scenario ala Million Dollar Baby)
Trust me, this announcement is a sign that Paramount is disappointed with the film. And is likely not Oscar material. The qualifying runs are often a 'what the heck' type of last ditch effort, rarely do they pan out with major noms.


Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeff Wilder and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr