Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:09 am

Black people tricked into electing a white guy. 
Second Unit Director

Post Black people tricked into electing a white guy.
So this white man was fed up of the same black man being elected to the Houston Community College Board for 24 years in a predominantly black region, so he "tricked" voters into electing him by misleading them that he was also black, but wanted change.

It doesn't seem right, but If he would have run as his normal self, he wouldn't have won. He only won by 26 votes; he would have stood no chance.

I don't know how large the sample size is, but it proves, at least in that region, that the people voting didn't bother to research his name at all. I say good for that man.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=793_1384052181

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 am
Director

Post Re: Black people tricked into electing a white guy.
You know that what this guy did was essentially fraud, right? Nothing to feel good about.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 am
Director

I just read this story too. If you ask me, there are no winners in this. The candidate committed fraud and the voters were badly uninformed and ignorant.

Btw, I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those "you're a racist" shouting matches.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am
Producer

Everybody tell me everything you went out and learned about your local community college board of trustees candidates the last time you voted.

Consider the facts--a candidate for a local board of trustees is, for the most part, catering to a select number of small interested parties, which is most likely the reason for the margin of his win. 26 people isn't that slim of a margin for the number of votes that get cast for this kind of position. The dude wasn't exactly running for president.

I doubt that the verified facts about his policies and his record were either very plentiful or very accessible to the general public. Anyone who's ever voted in local elections will know that you have to really dig to find out anything substantive about the candidates that isn't in the official campaign literature. You might as well randomly run into that person at Dunkin Donuts and interview them about their ideas on the spot for all the luck you'll have reading about them in the papers or on the Internet.

These people weren't anymore uninformed or ignorant than you'd expect most people in this situation to be.

Anyway, whoever wins, we lose, et cetera.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
You know that what this guy did was essentially fraud, right? Nothing to feel good about.

Fraud is a pretty strong term though. He never once lied, which will probably keep his position intact. Politicians "mislead" all of the time; granted I've never really seen this before, and I doubt it would work on something of a larger scale. I'm not calling it right, I'm just calling it like it is. Did you listen to the radio add? He had to find a way to get his point across without the color of his skin getting in the way.

And to the people who got duped: what is their recourse? The only thing they can say is, "I thought I was voting for a black man...if I knew he was white I never would have voted for him." That is racist, isn't it?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 pm
Producer

Yeah, pretty much.

At the same time, I can't bring myself to care about all those times he lost because of it. Oh no, some old white bigot didn't have a position of authority handed to him on a platter. 'Scuse me while I pick up the pieces of my broken heart.

The funny thing is, if people didn't know about him before, they sure as hell know about him now. One wonders what this bodes for the future of his career.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Yeah, pretty much.

At the same time, I can't bring myself to care about all those times he lost because of it. Oh no, some old white bigot didn't have a position of authority handed to him on a platter. 'Scuse me while I pick up the pieces of my broken heart.

The funny thing is, if people didn't know about him before, they sure as hell know about him now. One wonders what this bodes for the future of his career.

Damn right, I'm sorry but I find it very hard to feel sorry for this guy, did he consider whether maybe the black guy was actually the best person for the job and he wasn't? Probably not, reminds me of when some people like Dr. Laura insisted that they had the right to say the N-word.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 pm
Second Unit Director

What makes the white guy a bigot? He saw a way to take advantage of a situation and it worked. He has 6 years to prove he has better interests at heart than the person he is replacing.

And I'm not asking anybody to feel sorry for him, why would you? I find this story pretty funny. Whomever cared enough to vote, clearly didn't want the same black guy in office for 6 more years, yet they cared more about just not having a white guy in office (just an implication of the results, but this can be strongly inferred, as no white guy had been elected for 26 years, and the one time a white man tries this new approach, poof, he is elected.)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:51 pm
Producer

You're kidding, right? I think every profile I've seen of this guy so far makes reference to his anti-gay activism. People who say and do bigoted things tend to be bigots, in my experience.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:09 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
You're kidding, right? I think every profile I've seen of this guy so far makes reference to his anti-gay activism. People who say and do bigoted things tend to be bigots, in my experience.

He's definitely a bigot, I don't think there's anything at all hilarious about him scamming and manipulating people into voting for him, he's just another guy with unearned white privaleges.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
he's just another guy with unearned white privaleges.

Explain what you mean by this and how it relates to the story.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Awf Hand wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Explain what you mean by this and how it relates to the story.

I would love to hear this...

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 pm
Cinematographer

That is pretty funny. Although the advertisement is definitely deceptive only his performance moving forward will tell if he's a liar or not (assuming the accusations against the current seat holder are true). Probably won as much just because he advertised as in the way he advertised. Most of the voters probably didn't even know the incumbent's name, just remembered this dude's name from the ads.

Here in Memphis we have a white congressman in an overwhelmingly black district. I don't remember the exact circumstances around his initial election (everyone knew he was white, but there may have been some scandal around his opponent), but he's been re-elected because the voters like his policies and president Obama backs him.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

What exactly are "white privileges," Vex? I'm a white guy and I can't say I've ever been treated special because of it.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

What exactly are "white privileges," Vex? I'm a white guy and I can't say I've ever been treated special because of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:05 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Not sure how a white guy having to imply that he's black in order to win an election can constitute "white privilige".

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

He's definitely a bigot, I don't think there's anything at all hilarious about him scamming and manipulating people into voting for him, he's just another guy with unearned white privaleges.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

Using images is soooo clever, not!

There's nothing "retarded"(BTW using that word in that way is offensive to people who really are mentally retarded) about not finding the idea of somebody scamming people into voting for him funny.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:01 am
Second Unit Director

1. I'm not very politically correct as I believe the more and more our society tries to achieve political correctness, we turn into bigger pussies. With the liberal media the way it is today, all we can do is argue about why did he use the term "no homo", or he is racist for this, or lets not use retarded any more.

Just recently, this has happened:

<<UC Berkeley Student Government bans use of the term 'illegal immigrant

"No human being is illegal . . . 'Foreign nationals,' 'undocumented immigrants,' 'immigrants without papers' and 'immigrants seeking status' are examples of terms we can use that do not dehumanize people."

Lets stop dehumanizing people>>

Give me a break.

2. I wasn't referencing the writers of Tropic Thunder referring to you what you do or don't find funny. I am still laughing about the term white people privileges, and calling that retarded....err I mean "Never go full on Mentally Handicapped."

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
1. I'm not very politically correct as I believe the more and more our society tries to achieve political correctness, we turn into bigger pussies. With the liberal media the way it is today, all we can do is argue about why did he use the term "no homo", or he is racist for this, or lets not use retarded any more.

Just recently, this has happened:

<<UC Berkeley Student Government bans use of the term 'illegal immigrant

"No human being is illegal . . . 'Foreign nationals,' 'undocumented immigrants,' 'immigrants without papers' and 'immigrants seeking status' are examples of terms we can use that do not dehumanize people."

Lets stop dehumanizing people>>

Give me a break.

2. I wasn't referencing the writers of Tropic Thunder referring to you what you do or don't find funny. I am still laughing about the term white people privileges, and calling that retarded....err I mean "Never go full on Mentally Handicapped."

Better then the Republican media spewing blatant lies(gee i'll bet FOX feels REALLY stupid now for blindly believing in that Benghazi report which CBS had to retract :lol: ) and encouraging intolerance and hatred towards poor people and anyone else who dosen't blindly follow them off a cliff.

You can laugh about "white privelege" all you want, but that dosen't mean it dosen't exist, you're starting to show signs of it yourself. If anyone is dehumanizing people it is you.

Calling people "pussies" just makes you sound incredibly asinine and makes it impossible to take anything you say remotely seriously :roll:

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 am