Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman? 
Director

Post Re: Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman?
Ken wrote:
Wonder Woman's height tends to vacillate. She's always tall. Sometimes she's taller than Batman. The point is that she's an Amazon. It's not enough to be beautiful--she has to be imposing.

I wouldn't go for anyone who's already famous. A talent search would be best.

Well, clearly you need Gwendoline Christie. You must admit she's imposing.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:34 pm
Producer

I think you may have something here.

Find a writer who's capable of drafting screenplays with sexually progressive feminist characters and some producers who aren't afraid to leave that stuff in their squillion dollar movie and there's a chance in hell that it might work.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 am
Assistant Director

Gwendoline Christie? at 6' 3" is too tall for my own taste (WW is normally reported as 6' and I wouldn't go taller than that myself) although ken seems fine with this choice.Also, I saw a bunch of pictures in the net and I couldn't find one which I could say that Gwen has the WW look. However, Thanks to Syd for finding an actress there over 6' tall to place it in the mix!

Now Jaimie is still my choice. Beaten only in the height department (for too tall lol) by Gwen , Jaimie has the edge with the WW look , 6 years younger, proven herself in a similar role (Sif) and definitely hotter 8-)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Gwendoline Christie is honestly the first suggestion that I genuinely liked. She's a fucking beast in Game of Thrones, and I think it would be fun to see her kick ass on the big screen.

But I doubt it would happen.

I think you probably do have to go with an unknown. There really aren't many actresses I can see in the role. Hopefully whoever they pick at least looks like they could kick ass.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:59 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
Gwendoline Christie is honestly the first suggestion that I genuinely liked. She's a fucking beast in Game of Thrones, and I think it would be fun to see her kick ass on the big screen.

I think you probably do have to go with an unknown. There really aren't many actresses I can see in the role. Hopefully whoever they pick at least looks like they could kick ass.

What about an MMA fighter like Gina Carano, Gail Kim or Christina Cyborg?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:09 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
AJR wrote:

How about Michelle Rodriguez.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:20 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:

I do not know Gail or Christina but Gina Carano could be a good option. I have checked other WW cast proposals on the net and Gina is there in one or two. She is 5' 8" , has some acting experience and has some resemblance with WW from the comics, she is even (or was) dating Henry Cavill (Superman) lol . IMO, this is the best right below Jaimie so far.

Now Jaimie would be still my top favourite as I think she has more WW resemblance (See below from a slightly modified Sif poster along a WW from the comics ) and more gravitas in her filmography (they are going to act not to MMA fight and Jaimie is more experienced to add depth to the character).

Having wrote that, in reading these other WW cast proposals on the net where a few of them also mention Jaimie (in very high regards) but they all doubt she will do it because she is under Marvel contracts. If Jaimie, at the end, can not contend due legal reasons then definitely Gina Carano is a good option or look for an unknown with a similar process as they found Christopher Reeve for Superman (who was selected due his Superman resemblance not because he could kick ass lol, he even was a serious student of acting)

Attachments:
JaimieA-WW.jpg
JaimieA-WW.jpg [ 48.61 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Reeve was considered for Superman because of his facial resemblance, but he won the role by auditioning. I've seen the footage of his screen test; he nailed it from the moment he opened his mouth.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:03 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
AJR wrote:

I like Carano. Thought she was pretty great in Haywire. Kind of stiff as an actor, but I feel like she'll get better. That said, she still seems like she's a little short for the part, and I her shortfalls as an actor would be hard to work around.

Cristiane has never acted, as far as I know. I'm sure she beats up people real good, but that doesn't exactly make for a leading lady.

I think Gail Kim is a great wrestler (why did you say she was an mma fighter?) but again, I've never seen her act beyond her role as a wrestler. Acting in a movie and as a wrestler are pretty drastically different things. And she's pretty short too.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:15 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Reeve was considered for Superman because of his facial resemblance, but he won the role by auditioning. I've seen the footage of his screen test; he nailed it from the moment he opened his mouth.

The 6' 4" Christopher Reeve could act and he also nailed "Clark kent" very well. I have not seen the audition tapes but I have read in the past that he was skinnier then and he had to put extra weight for filming the movie. IMO. he is the best Superman/Clark kent so far !!

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I do not know Jaimie's status with Marvel but definitely she is toying with the idea of playing DC Wonder Woman according this article. Again IMO she would be great!

Attachments:
Jaimie Alexander.JPG
Jaimie Alexander.JPG [ 38.57 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:
The 6' 4" Christopher Reeve could act and he also nailed "Clark kent" very well. I have not seen the audition tapes but I have read in the past that he was skinnier then and he had to put extra weight for filming the movie. IMO. he is the best Superman/Clark kent so far !!

Yeah, he was quite thin. Broad-shouldered, but thin. He'd been muscular before, but his decision to enter acting school meant giving up all his outdoorsy pursuits--which he had many of.

The funny thing is, you can see him getting progressively bigger throughout the movies. I think he was at his bulkiest in Superman III, and Superman IV is (probably not coincidentally) the one where he decided to lay off a little on the muscle-building.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

Yeah, he was quite thin. Broad-shouldered, but thin. He'd been muscular before, but his decision to enter acting school meant giving up all his outdoorsy pursuits--which he had many of.

The funny thing is, you can see him getting progressively bigger throughout the movies. I think he was at his bulkiest in Superman III, and Superman IV is (probably not coincidentally) the one where he decided to lay off a little on the muscle-building.

I read that they had to reshoot the green screen flying screens becuase they didn't match after he gained the muscle mass.
I also read that he was offered a muscle suit and he felt that it looked rediculaous. He trained with the same chap who held the wheelchair in A clockwork orange .

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:59 am
Producer

Also known as the chap beneath the Vader costume in the original Star Wars movies.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:22 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Also known as the chap beneath the Vader costume in the original Star Wars movies.

I did know that,
I thought the "clockwork reference" was a little bit cooler.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 am
Assistant Director

Lynda Carter ( 5' 9 1/2'' - 1.77m) did not look as great for the role before she played Wonder Woman (See pic below when she was Miss USA) so I guess Jaimie (5' 9" - 1.75m) will receive some professional help for nutrition/exercises to shape her body WW style and probably a costume that help to enhance her top ;-) . Other than that she is ready and keen !

Attachments:
Lynda Carter.JPG
Lynda Carter.JPG [ 26.51 KiB | Viewed 349 times ]

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Lynda Carter ( 5' 9 1/2'' - 1.77m) did not look as great for the role before she played Wonder Woman (See pic below when she was Miss USA) so I guess Jaimie (5' 9" - 1.75m) will receive some professional help for nutrition/exercises to shape her body WW style and probably a costume that help to enhance her top ;-) . Other than that she is ready and keen !

I don't think that Miss Alexander needs her body to change for WW style.
I would also put forward the notion that if she has influenced you enough with her current appearance then she should not have to change at all.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:23 am
Producer

@that Lynda Carter pic:

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 am
Assistant Director

p604 wrote:
I don't think that Miss Alexander needs her body to change for WW style.
I would also put forward the notion that if she has influenced you enough with her current appearance then she should not have to change at all.

True ! Notion seconded : :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I pinched the attached pic from this article and Jaimie is in no doubt in shape for that WW representation ;-) Go Jaimie Go!

Attachments:
WonderWoman Vs Jaimie Sif.jpg
WonderWoman Vs Jaimie Sif.jpg [ 58.41 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next