Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman? 
Director

Post Re: Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman?
Quote:
Catwoman is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine but I would definitely be in favor of Whedon penning a Wonder Woman film.

Or Paul W.S. Anderson, who certainly has his share of experience with female action stars. Even in an already bad movie, I thought Scarlet Johansen was the worst aspect of Avengers. An obnoxious nonsense character who didn't need to be there. Not the kind of Wonder Woman I'd be interested in. But I think if Wonder Woman ever gets her own movie, it will be after Justice League.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:51 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Catwoman is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine but I would definitely be in favor of Whedon penning a Wonder Woman film.

Or Paul W.S. Anderson, who certainly has his share of experience with female action stars. Even in an already bad movie, I thought Scarlet Johansen was the worst aspect of Avengers. An obnoxious nonsense character who didn't need to be there. Not the kind of Wonder Woman I'd be interested in. But I think if Wonder Woman ever gets her own movie, it will be after Justice League.

I have to disagree there, I really enjoyed her character, but I can agree with some of your other criticisms of Avengers(I definitely enjoyed Man Of Steel more).

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:58 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
Even in an already bad movie, I thought Scarlet Johansen was the worst aspect of Avengers. An obnoxious nonsense character who didn't need to be there. Not the kind of Wonder Woman I'd be interested in. But I think if Wonder Woman ever gets her own movie, it will be after Justice League.

I'm not sure Whedon had much editorial control over that. I'm referring more to his experience in TV. I'm not overly familiar with it, but people responded to it very positively.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 am
Director

Quote:
I'm not sure Whedon had much editorial control over that. I'm referring more to his experience in TV. I'm not overly familiar with it, but people responded to it very positively.

In that case I agree, but I'm not sure that kind of characterization is the best approach to Wonder Woman. I'm not that knowledgeable about Wonder Woman, and I'd like to know more, but it's her origin/mythology/powers I want to learn about more than her likability or personality. In Snyder's hands, I assume we may get just exactly that. DC seems to specialize in existential moments which are divorced from character. At least Man of Steel did, and a couple scenes from Green Lantern. Because Whedon is writing-intensive, I just don't think that's his thing.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 am
Second Unit Director

how about

Attachments:
lucy lawless.jpg
lucy lawless.jpg [ 52.66 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]
Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:31 pm
Cinematographer

p604 wrote:
how about..

Lucy Lawless? Maybe in the Xena's days , she is more to play character roles nowadays

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Who are the other Actresses rumoured to have auditioned for a cameo role in Batman/Superman (which will be expanded in the Justice League and possible a solo movies)

Olga Kurylenko (5' 9" - 1.75m)
Elodie Yung (5' 7" - 1.70m)
Gal Gadot (5' 9" - 1.75m)

Jaimie Alexander is still my personal favourite !

Attachments:
JaimieContenders.JPG
JaimieContenders.JPG [ 59.63 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I would also say Sienna Miller, Milla Jovovich or Angelina Jolie.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:48 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

.... I'm not that knowledgeable about Wonder Woman, and I'd like to know more, but it's her origin/mythology/powers I want to learn about more than her likability or personality...

I am not an expert about Wonder Woman , only a casual fan who definitely would like to see WW in the big screen. After reading a bit about her (in wikipedia) to refresh my memory and to know more, I noticed that she has been portrayed in many ways. now what it seems to be her hard core traits:

Wonder Woman is a warrior princess of the Amazons (based on the Amazons of Greek mythology) and is known in her homeland as Princess Diana of Themyscira (former Paradise Island) . Diana is normally depicted as a masterful athlete (with extraordinary strength and very high leap) , acrobat, fighter and strategist, trained and experienced in many ancient and modern forms , including martial arts. Diana has an arsenal of powerful god-forged weapons at her disposal, but her signature weapons are her bullet-proof bracelets and the Lasso of Truth.

Her relationship with the external world where she in the past used the secret identity of Diana Prince but in the current New 52 (See her new 52 comics costume) is as an emissary and ambassador from Themyscira (the new name for Paradise Island) to Patriarch's World, charged with the mission of bringing peace to the outside world with not secret identity. Diana's operating methods are made distinctive from Superman and Batman's with her willingness to use deadly force when she judges it necessary. She is also in a romantic relationship with Superman.

In the famous TV series of the 70s was portrayed with the secret identity of Diana Prince (a bit of a campy show but Linda Carter as Wonder Woman was unforgettable ;-))

Maybe ken can shed some more light about WW in general :-)

Cheers

Attachments:
Wonder_Woman_New_52_Jim_Lee.jpg
Wonder_Woman_New_52_Jim_Lee.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Why Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman for B/S cameo and JL movie? (Summary)

IMO Because :

• She has played a relatively similar tough character (Sif in Thor and Thor 2) convincingly
  • She is as tall (5' 9" - 1.75m) as any of the other contenders
  • She has the Wonder Woman look
  • With an age of 29, she can still wait a few years and still be young for the WW solo movie
  • She is hot !

Cheers

Attachments:
Wonder Woman-New 52.jpg
Wonder Woman-New 52.jpg [ 59.11 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
Jaimie as Sif.jpg
Jaimie as Sif.jpg [ 25.66 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Vexer wrote:

Please god, no for Milla.

Angelina Jolie is probably too old for what they are looking for.

I like Sienna, but I don't see her being a good fit for Wonder Woman.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:05 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Please god, no for Milla.

Angelina Jolie is probably too old for what they are looking for.

I like Sienna, but I don't see her being a good fit for Wonder Woman.

What's wrong with Milla? She's a great actress. I'd also be fine with Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 am
Producer

Eh, not really a fan. She's okay, I guess. She is capable of good work, but in general, not a fan.

I like Beckinsale and Biel a lot though. But Beckinsale might be slightly too old for what they are looking for.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:09 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Eh, not really a fan. She's okay, I guess. She is capable of good work, but in general, not a fan.

I like Beckinsale and Biel a lot though. But Beckinsale might be slightly too old for what they are looking for.

What about Megan Fox or Lindsay Lohan?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 am
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:

It has been some speculation in the past about Megan Fox playing WW but with a 5' 4" height and also not much of gravitas in her film career so she would not be among my personal options IMO

Lindsey Lohan? Well this is a very surprise choice and very hard to visualise as WW by myself ;-)

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Vexer wrote:

It has been some speculation in the past about Megan Fox playing WW but with a 5' 4" height and also not much of gravitas in her film career so she would not be among my personal options IMO

Lindsey Lohan? Well this is a very surprise choice and very hard to visualise as WW by myself ;-)

i hate to bring up the elephant in the room but, at least Lindsey Lohan is the only one so far listed who could fill costume . I still think Lucy Lawless could pull of the role. She could play the queen mother role.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 am
Cinematographer

p604 wrote:
i hate to bring up the elephant in the room but, at least Lindsey Lohan is the only one so far listed who could fill costume . I still think Lucy Lawless could pull of the role. She could play the queen mother role.

The 5' 5" Lindsay Lohan is not going to fill much costume at least all the film takes are from top up lol but You have my vote for Lucy Lawless to play WW's mother (Queen Hippolyta) 8-)

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:47 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

unwindfilms wrote:
p604 wrote:
The 5' 5" Lindsay Lohan is not going to fill much costume at least all the film takes are from top up lol but You have my vote for Lucy Lawless to play WW's mother (Queen Hippolyta) 8-)

I don't think that wonder woman needs to be tall.
I offer Hugh Jackman as an example of where height was not an issue.
In the comic book world wolverine is 5 foot 3 were as Hugh Jackman is 6 foot 2 inches.
That's nearly a foot difference but could you imagine anyone else playing wolverine.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:56 pm
Cinematographer

p604 wrote:

I don't think that wonder woman needs to be tall.
I offer Hugh Jackman as an example of where height was not an issue.
In the comic book world wolverine is 5 foot 3 were as Hugh Jackman is 6 foot 2 inches.
That's nearly a foot difference but could you imagine anyone else playing wolverine.

Interesting point. I would not have imagined Jackman as Wolverine back then myself and certainly was an inspiring casting that played out well. I guess Jackman had The Wolverine look at least which it is something that definitely Jaimie Alexander has and I do not see it in Lindsay. To be honest , I would feel like Halloween to see Lindsay in WW costume :roll:

Below is Lynda Carter (5' 9½" - 1.77 m) to give you an idea of a very successful Wonder Woman from the past 8-)

Attachments:
LyndaCarter.jpg
LyndaCarter.jpg [ 36.12 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

They did not even attempt to translate Wolverine's height to the screen, so it's not really a germane example.

Linda Carter was a good casting choice, in large part because her assertive personality lent to her imposing presence.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next